PDA

View Full Version : Anyone interested in G8 custom front brake vents for cooling?

Doug Hilliard
12-19-2011, 09:17 PM
The local shop I deal with for suspension and general advice for all things road course has been working with a company that has made some really nice kits for other cars (Vettes, Mustangs, etc) and may be interested in making a kit for the G8. They have the CAD data but I'll be sending them some pics so they can get an idea of what's where under the front end. I'm just wondering who all might be interested so I can give them some idea how many they might sell if they choose to develop one. Thanks!
Doug

spider1701
12-20-2011, 04:54 AM
Doug,

I don't do any road racing so brake vents wouldn't do me any good but if they could come up with a solution for pulling hot air out of the engine bay, either with hood mods, or functional side vents that might be interesting, price dependent of course, ie 2 grand probably wouldn't make me jump.

Spider1701

TCorzett
12-20-2011, 05:45 AM
I have assembled bits and pieces to make something, but would love a "kit" for this.

What I was eventually going to make is based off what was done on this Camaro (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2475584). Basically put an inlet behind the mesh on the lower front grill (next to the fog light) and run ducting to the center of the rotor (mounting with a modified brake dust shield).

-Todd...

AVIDMOTION
12-20-2011, 07:58 AM
I opened up my two hood scoops, took the rubber sealing strip off the back and the front, this helps provide flow onto the motor and out by the window, in the cold winter I can see it work with heat fumes coming out the scoops and by the windshield when I stop at lights, if the fan goes on(like i make it go on by turning on the ac-)i can see heat fumes pouring out the by windshield from under the hood....works for me and was free

jbak
12-20-2011, 02:33 PM
I would definitely be interested in a brake vent kit.

Eidolon
12-20-2011, 05:37 PM
So would I, but the GXP fascia would be... a bit more interesting. The GT fascia is pretty much perfect for some ductwork. On the GXP, we'd have to add cutouts into the lower radiator intake or into the lower bumper tray.

Doug Hilliard
12-20-2011, 06:17 PM
I have assembled bits and pieces to make something, but would love a "kit" for this.

What I was eventually going to make is based off what was done on this Camaro (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2475584). Basically put an inlet behind the mesh on the lower front grill (next to the fog light) and run ducting to the center of the rotor (mounting with a modified brake dust shield).

-Todd...
Todd, that is similar to what they do although with a more finished look. They use a funnel-looking plastic part that would fit behind the honeycomb in the front bumper and then attach the tubing to it.

Kevin,
I'm not sure but the part that attaches to the knuckle to bring the air to the center of the rotor would probably fit, but you're right, the front bumper on the GXP would be more of a challenge.

So far, no response; I e-mailed them a few months back too so I think I'm going to give them a call tomorrow. Thanks for the responses so far!

HuskerG8
12-20-2011, 08:45 PM
Doug,

I would be interested. I have some ducting already in place from the honeycomb to get air into the fender well and have removed the dust shield, but that is all. It did help, but more is needed. Todd and I traded some information on the other forum awhile back about this.

Doug Hilliard
12-20-2011, 09:33 PM
Doug,

I would be interested. I have some ducting already in place from the honeycomb to get air into the fender well and have removed the dust shield, but that is all. It did help, but more is needed. Todd and I traded some information on the other forum awhile back about this.
Sounds good; I think this makes five of us with at least some interest. That should give me enough to make a phone call and see if I can stir the pot a little.

ULTRA Z
12-20-2011, 10:10 PM
I would be interested also

Doug Hilliard
12-21-2011, 08:33 AM
Update: I called them this morning and he said if we could get ten of us interested he would be in for developing the kit. I verified the price and he said it would be in the area of the other kits he sold. The most expensive is the Corvette for $215. The Mustang kit is $175. I think the difference is a full plate on the back of the rotor or a partial plate with two bolts. He can do either I think once he has the design.

Interest expressed by these so far:

Doug Hilliard
TCorzett
jbak
Eidolon (maybe, depending on a plan for the GXP)
HuskerG8
ULTRA Z

Eidolon
12-21-2011, 09:11 AM
And for that price, keep my hat in the ring.

incon3037r
12-21-2011, 09:18 AM
Will it clear the back plate when people do CTSV 6 piston upgrade since you have to trim the back plate? Will it be made for the GXP bumper?

GXPaycheck
12-21-2011, 11:31 AM
I am interested in seeing how they deal with the GXP front end

Eidolon
12-21-2011, 11:32 AM
I am interested in seeing how they deal with the GXP front end
I'm thinking they won't. Instead, they give us a scoop of some sort, plus the hose, and we then cut holes in our lower tray, behind/underneath the bumper, and let them protrude just a bit, secured in place with whatever brackets or adhesive we can fashion or find.

In short, a DIY. :)

Doug Hilliard
12-21-2011, 01:59 PM
I'm thinking they won't. Instead, they give us a scoop of some sort, plus the hose, and we then cut holes in our lower tray, behind/underneath the bumper, and let them protrude just a bit, secured in place with whatever brackets or adhesive we can fashion or find.

In short, a DIY. :)
Correct, it will be made for the GT.

Eidolon
12-21-2011, 02:01 PM
Correct, it will be made for the GT.

The earlier they can provide some details about how this'll fit the GT, the better. If I can make it work for my GXP, I will.

Doug Hilliard
12-21-2011, 02:03 PM
Will it clear the back plate when people do CTSV 6 piston upgrade since you have to trim the back plate? Will it be made for the GXP bumper?
Not sure about the CTSV upgrade; I don't know what is involved with this upgrade. I can call them and ask but I'm not sure they will know either. The kit will be made to fit the GT; not sure what mods would be needed to fit upgrades.

TCorzett
12-21-2011, 08:26 PM
I would be installing these with my Baer brakes, but they do not require the dust shields to be modified/removed. I also have a Maggie, so it would be great if they didn't interfere with the intercooler (but I don't think should be an issue if we're using the lower insert areas of the nose).

-Todd...

Doug Hilliard
12-21-2011, 08:41 PM
Todd, I agree the kit won't be an issue with the Maggie. That would be a dealbreaker for me too but the kit I saw on a Mustang was definitely in the lower area of the car so wouldn't be a concern for the intercooler. We need about four more folks to get this thing going!

TCorzett
12-21-2011, 10:00 PM
We need about four more folks to get this thing going!
Have you tried posting this up on the other board? There are a couple people there who seem to enjoy doing something other than just going in a straight line. Probably couldn't hurt!

-Todd...

PS - I wonder how different a kit for the G8 would be from a Camaro? Maybe there would be some additional interest there?

Doug Hilliard
12-22-2011, 05:44 AM
Have you tried posting this up on the other board? There are a couple people there who seem to enjoy doing something other than just going in a straight line. Probably couldn't hurt!

-Todd...

PS - I wonder how different a kit for the G8 would be from a Camaro? Maybe there would be some additional interest there?
I haven't posted it over there but will do it later today; good idea. I don't know what the difference would be, may be worth a question though. I'll ask.

Kermit
12-22-2011, 06:17 PM
I know a guy that Auto crosses his from time to time. I can see if he would be interested.

Doug Hilliard
12-22-2011, 07:41 PM
I know a guy that Auto crosses his from time to time. I can see if he would be interested.
Thanks! Just posted on the other board. Hopefully I did it in such a way that no rules were violated so I can get some feedback.

cereal)killer
12-23-2011, 12:53 AM
Been wanting to get some sort of venting for my brakes for a while now. figured it wouldn't be too hard to have a shop fab something up so been waiting till i have the money together for the CTS-V brakes before looking into it more seriously. a kit to start from might be nice.

Doug Hilliard
12-28-2011, 02:24 PM
I spoke with the potential supplier today about the GXP and he said the GT and GXP use the same spindle so the kit will work for both versions. All you GXP guys, let me know if you're in! He will do the design once he gets ten confirmed orders; no one will pay anything until the product ships. I think pricing will still be $215.

smso966
12-28-2011, 06:22 PM
For arround $200, I'd be very interested.

Doug Hilliard
12-28-2011, 07:05 PM
For arround $200, I'd be very interested.
OK, got you down!

Eidolon
01-17-2012, 12:26 PM
Any motion on this, Doug?

Doug Hilliard
01-17-2012, 01:05 PM
Any motion on this, Doug?
Kevin, thanks for checking back with me. With the clavicle break and surgery, I haven't done anything but it's time for me to get moving again! I need to get together a contact list of e-mails so I can put everyone in touch directly with the potential supplier. They will start work after 10 people make a commitment, so for those interested, please PM me your contact info and I'll compile the list and see what we've got!

BigV8
01-22-2012, 05:24 PM
Doug Im interested in this. This is the first I've seen this. Im going for road courses now.

Doug Hilliard
01-22-2012, 09:21 PM
Doug Im interested in this. This is the first I've seen this. Im going for road courses now.
Sounds good! Any other takers that haven't expressed interest already, let me know! I'm trying to get this rolling again getting info together.

smso966
01-22-2012, 09:57 PM
PM's replied to on both boards.

Doug Hilliard
01-23-2012, 03:15 PM
Jerry, have you been on a road course yet? These blown G8's are quite the surprise to lots of folks and hold their own quite nicely!

jbak
01-24-2012, 11:30 AM
Doug........mine's a GXP also. Is that a fitment problem maybe ?

Doug Hilliard
01-24-2012, 01:32 PM
Doug........mine's a GXP also. Is that a fitment problem maybe ?
Shouldn't be an issue; the area where the plate will go to bring air to the rotor is exactly the same on GT and GXP so the only issue is how the inlet will be done but we've got a good mix of GT and GXP's (6-GT and 7-GXP) so I'm sure they will make sure it will work well with both.

Doug Hilliard
01-24-2012, 03:21 PM
Just got off the phone with the guy who is going to make the kit; he will design it for the GXP as he has the models for that. This means the plate against the rotor will be a little larger diameter than it needs to be for the GT version but shouldn't give us any problems. He'll send a prototype to me in about two weeks for a fit check and, pending any design tweaks, production lead-time is about four weeks after he starts so we should have kits available by Spring!

TCorzett
01-24-2012, 03:55 PM
Very nice! :brock:

-Todd...

Doug Hilliard
02-22-2013, 03:52 PM
Sorry so long since an update; my car was down getting a forged bottom end for a while but I have it back and have some progress to report! Here's what the present system looks like! The guy who is making the parts is going to modify the tube inlet position into the rotor hat to make it a little more direct for the tubing routing and expects to have revised prototypes to me in a couple weeks. I'm hoping the revision will make this system ready to go to manufacturing! Stay tuned!

Kaos
02-22-2013, 04:05 PM
Interested. Subscribed.

Sent using Tapatalk 2 for Android.

Doug Hilliard
02-25-2013, 08:52 AM
Just got an update: should have the revised parts next week!

I12XLR8
02-25-2013, 09:35 AM
Doug, have you been driving around with this set-up on your car? I like the idea but it looks...temporary.

I'm very interested in the brake cooling. Will we have ducting colour options?

Doug Hilliard
02-25-2013, 10:34 AM
I have been driving with it and all seems to be ok. Not sure what you mean by temporary but I'm happy to answer any questions or concerns you might have. I'm not sure about color options but the only high temp (650f) tubing I have seen has been the orange.

I12XLR8
02-25-2013, 11:57 AM
I reread my post and I apologize for the negative tone...I was trying to avoid it and failed ;-(

The tie-straps and the color stand out and made the set-up look DIY, which it kind of is so it fits. Do you have any pictures of how it attaches to the grill?

Seattle09GT
02-25-2013, 12:21 PM
The local shop I deal with for suspension and general advice for all things road course has been working with a company that has made some really nice kits for other cars (Vettes, Mustangs, etc) and may be interested in making a kit for the G8. They have the CAD data but I'll be sending them some pics so they can get an idea of what's where under the front end. I'm just wondering who all might be interested so I can give them some idea how many they might sell if they choose to develop one. Thanks!
Doug

Very interested depending on the level of surgery required and cost/benefit.

Doug Hilliard
02-25-2013, 02:36 PM
I reread my post and I apologize for the negative tone...I was trying to avoid it and failed ;-(

The tie-straps and the color stand out and made the set-up look DIY, which it kind of is so it fits. Do you have any pictures of how it attaches to the grill?

No worries Grant, I didn't take it negative at all! I was just on a break in a class and responded on my phone and I'm a little slow so I keep it to minimum characters! I'm new to what vents should look like but the shop I deal with on these has a great reputation around here for road course setups. The owner was my instructor at VIR last Fall and has been doing this for around 30 years. The zip ties and such are there to restrain the tubing and keep it as far out of the way of the wheel as possible for turning and still allow it to flex as the suspension moves relative to the car. Even so, they said with brake vents, you can't turn lock to lock or you'll crush the tubing and I can definitely see that when under car. They also thought the geometry needed to be changed on the mounting brackets so they may not have made it as permanent for now as there is still some development to be done. They were also not so impressed with my tubing as it seems thin and tears easy relative to what they typically see. I got the tubing on my own so I may replace it if it doesn't last. I don't have any pictures of how the front inlets mount yet but maybe I can get some in the next week or so (probably when the new brackets come in and I install them). The inlets were made so you could attach them with zip ties or bolts with washers to the lower grill but my shop (Performance Chassis) mounted them just behind the lower grills so they stay put when you take the grills out. I'll get some pics when I get a chance and post up.

I12XLR8
02-25-2013, 07:44 PM
If the ducting is removed from the new backing plate can the car be steered to it's stops? Being a daily driver I'd want to make sure I could disconnect any restrictive parts of the system when not at the track.

Doug Hilliard
02-25-2013, 07:52 PM
I'm not sure; I guess it depends on where the tubing is. The issue is not where the tubing enters the plate but where it is in the wheel well. Once I have the new plates, I will install them and then take a look at just how far I can turn the wheel without interfering with the tubing. I actually went to the lock while parking today and will be interested to see if I damaged the tubing; hopefully it's not an issue at all but I'll have to check it out.

Doug Hilliard
04-29-2013, 08:35 PM
OK, the supplier is putting up a pre-order page on his website later this week. Lead time is 2-4 weeks. Here's some pics I took a day ago. I did a day at VIR a month ago and had zero brake fade with this kit. I was running typically 120-135 when braking hard into turn 1 from the front straight and they did a great job! The kit will come with black tubing rather than the orange I'm showing in the pictures. Here's the website fyi:
http://www.lapponline.com/

Doug Hilliard
04-30-2013, 01:52 PM
OK, on prices, you can have a look at the F-body kit prices - the G8 kit will be the same. Here for convenience:
$85 if you want plates only
$145 for the kit with the low temp hose
$190 for the kit with the high temp hose
$85 for the inlets (separate)
I would think most folks would want the low temp hose with the inlets so total price would be $225.
He will send me new inlets this week so I'll post up pics of those when I get them on.

Doug Hilliard
04-30-2013, 07:27 PM
The G8 is now on the website!

toedrag
05-01-2013, 04:56 AM
Thx Doug, I'll probably do these at some point. Any answer to the question on whether or not the ductwork allows lock to lock steering?

I12XLR8
05-01-2013, 05:05 AM
Do you have any pictures of how it attaches to the grill?

Once I have the new plates, I will install them and then take a look at just how far I can turn the wheel without interfering with the tubing. I actually went to the lock while parking today and will be interested to see if I damaged the tubing; hopefully it's not an issue at all but I'll have to check it out.

Doug, I'm still interested in pics of the mounting of the tube behind the grill if possible.

Doug Hilliard
05-01-2013, 08:48 AM
Doug, I'm still interested in pics of the mounting of the tube behind the grill if possible.
Sorry Grant! I didn't notice that request earlier. Here are some pics I took of the inlets just behind the lower grill inserts. The first one shows the driver's side with the grill insert in place while the others are the pass side without the grill insert. They are sending me a new set this week that will port it through the grill inserts and I will post those up when I install them. The inlets are just tie-wrapped in there for now.

Doug Hilliard
05-01-2013, 08:56 AM
Thx Doug, I'll probably do these at some point. Any answer to the question on whether or not the ductwork allows lock to lock steering?
I try not to go lock to lock with them but when I put it up on ramps and took a look at the lock position, there was slight clearance to the tubing. I think you can do it as long as you secure the tubing adequately to the tie rod but it's very close. Actually this is better than I expected after talking to my suspension shop; they said you can't go lock to lock with brake vents but it looks like I'm getting away with it with this system. Keep in mind that with the stock 19 wheels. With the 18 inch track wheels I use, I'm sure there would be some interference but I can be careful not to go lock to lock on track days.

Eidolon
05-30-2013, 11:49 AM
Website doesn't work, unfortunately. :(

Looks like I'm going to have to more seriously consider these. My brake caliper piston dust boots are cracked after two events, so I was looking into brake shims to act as an insulating barrier. I'd sent an email to Carbotech about brake shims, got a reply, and he said they don't recommend shims because it might protect the caliper, but it concentrates the heat in the rotors and pads. Maybe a combination of the two? Having to replace the piston dust boots every two events seems like a bit much.

This guy on the other board (http://www.g8board.com/forums/showpost.php?p=999776&postcount=3) sacrificed his fog lights to run the brake cooling ducts. I might have to go that route.

Doug Hilliard
09-04-2013, 07:06 PM
Anyone ever order a kit? Just curious what your experience has been if so. I went back to VIR the last week of August and they performed really well again.