PDA

View Full Version : Winter plans?

JJhummus
12-19-2011, 07:20 AM
Haven't seen much traffic on the site from our area, so I thought I would start one eeing what plans some of you have for the winter. I am reworking my exhaust. I am adding merge spikes to my LTs and adding all 3" mandrel bent pipng for the secondaries. Designed a termination box after that and haven't settled on a rear section, yet... I am also getting the heads cleaned up by G8-4-Speed (exhaust side) and debating on high ratio rockers or a new cam, decisions, decisions... I currently run the Thumpr cam the G8-4-Speed used to run. Makes great TQ and at only .55? lift, I can run the rockers to get around .600 on the lift while keeping the duration. The new cam I am looking at is a 223/231 .610/.617 112+5 Comp. I did pick up a complete set of Camaro Brembos from a buddy, so those are getting added too. Anyone else?

BlownPoncho
12-19-2011, 09:45 PM
Hopefully adding some suspension mods such as lowering springs and bushings. Maybe a ported intake manifold. blackout all the trim and hopefully gxp diffuser. I am for sure going to do some exhaust work these gutted stock mufflers are not loud enough for me. haha.. BTW how does that Pro-chamber sound?

JJhummus
12-21-2011, 08:20 AM
It definitely has a different sound to it, but I am running it through stock cans. The prochamber will be gone here soon as the new design removes it and replaces it with a termination box. Not sure what the difference is going to be, but why not... The new cam or rockers will definitely want a little more openness to operate effectively. I found some hollow intake valves from an LS3, so those will be getting added while the heads are off.

I12XLR8
12-21-2011, 09:13 AM
I'm driving mine all year 'round so I do not have a mod season :cold:

I will be putting on the CTS-V front brakes that are waiting for me in the garage and gathering up the information and courage needed to tackle the cam by myself :shutup:

JJhummus
12-21-2011, 10:37 AM
Doing the cam swap wasn't too bad. I did mine last winter when it was just sitting in the garage. There is enough info here to tackle all your questions. Just make sure your cam is big enough so you don't do it again!... If I could devote uninterrupted time to it, I could have had it done over a 2-3 day period.

I12XLR8
12-21-2011, 10:48 AM
It's the 2-3 days that the issue (two kids, busy job, etc, etc)...

Anyways, it's going to happen sooner or later. Right now I understand that a custom Stage 2.5 VMS cam is the most aggressive I can get without needing a new convertor (and the DOD package price of $1300 is incredible!!!). Any better ideas?

Greg@PacePerformance
12-21-2011, 10:58 AM
Got a set of the new LS3 CNC heads sitting in my garage :)
Should be a pretty easy project this winter along with some new gaskets and ARP bolts.

JJhummus
12-21-2011, 01:59 PM
I could see 2-3 days being tough, too. Especially if you are doing the complete DoD conversion. Good luck and let us know how it goes. I am not too familiar with their specific set-ups. I would agree that all the goodies you get for that money, it is a pretty good deal.

Greg, I wish I had a set just "sitting in my garage!" I am just going buy some hollow stems and have Rick port the exhaust side of my stock heads. I will be adding the Patriot spring kit that Jegs sells for 255 for safety sakes... Never really payed attention that you are here in Ohio. Guess I should look to you for parts, too. I typically get all my stuff from a buddy here locally that runs in NASA and uses LS1 and LS3 stuff in his truck.

MIEngineer
12-21-2011, 09:35 PM
If the car sticks around:

GMPP LS3 heads / other performance tweaks while in there...

2009-2012 CTS-V front & rear brake system conversion since I have 95% of the parts.

Rework the air intake

Some paint correction

Change around the exhaust

Sell both of my classic cars and a bunch of parts I have in the garage from other projects...

JJhummus
12-22-2011, 07:44 AM
I was looking for the CTS-V brakes, but my buddy sold his Canaro RS/SS and sold me him Brembos for $300. I think he had about 3K miles on them and it included pads, rotors, and calipers. I couldn't pass it up... My last years project was removing my Roto-Fab styled intake and made my CF OTR along with the cam swap. 13418

How is that GXP?

Greg@PacePerformance
12-22-2011, 08:12 AM
Greg, I wish I had a set just "sitting in my garage!" I am just going buy some hollow stems and have Rick port the exhaust side of my stock heads. I will be adding the Patriot spring kit that Jegs sells for 255 for safety sakes... Never really payed attention that you are here in Ohio. Guess I should look to you for parts, too. I typically get all my stuff from a buddy here locally that runs in NASA and uses LS1 and LS3 stuff in his truck.
Well I did just pay for them a week or so ago. Hope to get a small heater for Christmas so I can do the swap and not freeze in the garage.
I'm pretty sure I have met you before in the GP circle at the Pontiac Nationals or up at Morads.

vert
12-22-2011, 08:52 AM
I have a ot on my mind and it all depends on money flow. First priority is a DOD delete cam install with dyno a tune. I want to work on some appearance mods, I am thinking about ditching the stripes and maybe going for the firehawk look. I also want to add a magnaflow muf as mid pipe to help with the drone, but I will probably wait to hear what it sounds like after the cam. At least I want to add sound deadner in the trunk.

JJhummus
12-22-2011, 08:59 AM
Not me... I was suppose to go over to the Nationals, but never made it. I bought a little propane jet style heater many years back when I had my Civic. I love it! when it is too cold to grill, I use the tanks to heat the garage. I am hoping to have my tuner keep the car this winter. That would give me more space to pull the heads and such... Greg, can you get parts that are not listed on your site?

Vert, nice looking ride!

vert
12-23-2011, 02:58 PM
Not me... I was suppose to go over to the Nationals, but never made it. I bought a little propane jet style heater many years back when I had my Civic. I love it! when it is too cold to grill, I use the tanks to heat the garage. I am hoping to have my tuner keep the car this winter. That would give me more space to pull the heads and such... Greg, can you get parts that are not listed on your site?

Vert, nice looking ride!
Thanks JJ.
Speaking of parts, GREG, when is WASSLOW going to be back up and running.

-Ray-
12-23-2011, 03:24 PM

Vert, nice looking ride!

I have a propane heater for when I work out in the shop too. I used one of those oil filled radiator style to keep the shop above freezing when I'm not there.

JJhummus
01-16-2012, 08:14 AM
Well, I got out the heater and started tearing the car apart last night. I got the rockers removed and shipped off to Greg aat Pace fro the trunnion upgrade. Removed radiator, water pump, TB, and have most of the electrical disconnected. Getting the fuel line tool tonight and hoping to have the intake off. Then I will get the headers off and pull the heads. Anybody else making progress?

vert
01-20-2012, 05:58 PM
Well, I got out the heater and started tearing the car apart last night. I got the rockers removed and shipped off to Greg aat Pace fro the trunnion upgrade. Removed radiator, water pump, TB, and have most of the electrical disconnected. Getting the fuel line tool tonight and hoping to have the intake off. Then I will get the headers off and pull the heads. Anybody else making progress?
NOPE. I did get my cam spec'ed by Patrick and ordered all of my dod delete parts. I still need to order the trunnion kit, coil relocation kit, plug wire kit and so on and on. I am not going to tear into my car until it starts to warm up in March, then I can take my time and drive my mustang.

JJhummus
01-24-2012, 07:04 PM
I got the heads off and completely apart. I received my rockers and intake valves today. So, when I get thislast wheel sold, I will send the heads of to Rick for his massaging. I got the TB ported and polished last night and finished the intake tonight. Now I will get them both cleaned up and reassemble the unit with injectors and all. Got the DoD stuff out and ill pick up my valley cover and lifters tomorrow. I just need to get the cam out and swap in the new one. The I can get all the lifters and such back in. I need to say thanks Greg!

gr8lover
01-24-2012, 09:17 PM
Trying to finish up my 4L80 conversion.... controls issues now.... new one pc driveshaft, Hendrix 9" rear, 434 LSX with Mast Ls7 racing heads, increase boost on the F1d procharger, Camaro Front brembos, Meth system, new 3" custom exhaust, .... almost all done except for damn controls issue with 4L80.... will get within the next month..... should be all ready by March 7th or so....

WickedMom
01-24-2012, 09:24 PM
Lemme know if any of you need anything for your winter builds. We offer A LOT more than just blowers.
Check out our site & if it isnt on there, PM me and I will find it for you.

-Ray-
01-25-2012, 03:11 AM
I haven't installed my rockers with the new trunnions yet. I've been working on building a set of Magnaflows. It's slow going since I'm gone from home 2 or 3 nights a week. Should receive my GXP wheels on Thursday, and then next time I'm in Plymouth, I'll take two of them to get widened.

NWOG8
01-25-2012, 04:01 AM
Lemme know if any of you need anything for your winter builds. We offer A LOT more than just blowers.
Check out our site & if it isnt on there, PM me and I will find it for you.

At least this one wont give your husband a reason to divorce you:)

vert
01-25-2012, 01:25 PM
I haven't installed my rockers with the new trunnions yet. I've been working on building a set of Magnaflows. It's slow going since I'm gone from home 2 or 3 nights a week. Should receive my GXP wheels on Thursday, and then next time I'm in Plymouth, I'll take two of them to get widened.
Ray,
Are you going to measure/check to see if your current push rods are going to work? I see some are selling push rods because they changed the stock trunnions out and needed a shorter push rod. I was curious and I think I will do the dry earse marker test when I change my cam and trunnions. I might post up a question in the V8 section.

JJhummus
01-25-2012, 01:54 PM
Wow, you have done alot... I don't think I have that much time!

-Ray-
01-25-2012, 03:36 PM
Ray,
Are you going to measure/check to see if your current push rods are going to work? I see some are selling push rods because they changed the stock trunnions out and needed a shorter push rod. I was curious and I think I will do the dry earse marker test when I change my cam and trunnions. I might post up a question in the V8 section.

Chris, I'll find out when I reinstall the rockers this weekend. I've been busy fabbing up a set of mufflers.
BTW, I was already worried my current push rods were too short.

vert
01-25-2012, 04:16 PM
Chris, I'll find out when I reinstall the rockers this weekend. I've been busy fabbing up a set of mufflers.
BTW, I was already worried my current push rods were too short.
Sounds good Ray. Maybe you can get Travis out of his house and he can help. LOL

travis gore
01-25-2012, 04:42 PM
Sounds good Ray. Maybe you can get Travis out of his house and he can help. LOL

Maybe if I can get the chain to reach that far

Sent from the iPhone 4S

WickedMom
01-25-2012, 04:50 PM
At least this one wont give your husband a reason to divorce you:)

Haha!!! True story!

Sent from my insanely great iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

vert
01-25-2012, 04:52 PM
Maybe if I can get the chain to reach that far
Sent from the iPhone 4S
This will help you. I use it all of the time.
http://www.lockpickshop.com/G1-SET.html

travis gore
01-25-2012, 04:54 PM
This will help you. I use it all of the time.
http://www.lockpickshop.com/G1-SET.html

lol sweet :)

Sent from the iPhone 4S

JJhummus
01-30-2012, 06:41 AM
Got the timing cover off this weekend and will be picking up the new cam today. Hopefully I can get the front back together this week and hopefully get the heads down to Rick this week, too. Not sure I posted, but I had some spare time and cleaned up the intake and matched the TB too. Assembled all that this weekend so the intake is ready. Hope all others are getting their projects done, even if they happen slowly...

vert
02-01-2012, 05:13 PM
I fabbed up a radiator cover today. Got to get the engine bay looking pretty like me. LOL

-Ray-
02-01-2012, 06:27 PM
I polished my TB. Not something I planned on, but after I started I couldn't stop.

STL_G8GT
02-01-2012, 07:12 PM
I polished my TB. Not something I planned on, but after I started I couldn't stop.

Dremel? What sort of materials do you use for the port n polish?

-Ray-
02-02-2012, 02:32 AM
I didn't port and polish. TB was already ported, i polished the out side.

vert
02-02-2012, 09:01 AM
I thought about tackling this since I polished several items on my mustang. I was looking at all of tight bends and inside corners and then I changed my mind.
By the way, it did not happen unless you post up a pic. LOL

vert
02-02-2012, 09:04 AM
Dremel? What sort of materials do you use for the port n polish?
I used a grinding wheel to get the material off then I used a med. course flap wheel and finally a fine flap wheel. After that I took my 2" buffer pad with metal polish to shine it up.

STL_G8GT
02-02-2012, 09:16 AM
I used a grinding wheel to get the material off then I used a med. course flap wheel and finally a fine flap wheel. After that I took my 2" buffer pad with metal polish to shine it up.

Ive "polished off" a couple of bottles of whiskey in my time but never polished any metal, sounds cool.

Ray will you post up some pics?

JJhummus
02-02-2012, 01:23 PM
I bolted up the TB to the manifold and scribed the TB to show the manifold ID and location. Then I marked out the "Don't get to close to the butterfly" area and then started at it. Used a Dremel with a pencil grinder bit to work the area to within .025 of my scribed line. Then used an 80 grit sanding drum to smooth it out. Then a 120 flap wheel, 220 sand paper, 400 sand paper and then some polish to mirror it up. On the outer, I marked my to close line again and then used the same process to remove all the material I could while not getting into the outer flange or to cross my do not cross line. Took me two evenings to get it done. I didn't take any pics as I thought nobody would be interested. If I get bored tonight, I'll take a couple.

vert
02-02-2012, 01:33 PM
Pete,
here is a link that has pics from a member that did his own port job.
http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=6887&highlight=ported+throttle+body
I think ray is out of town, so maybe he will post pics this weekend. I wanna see some bling!

-Ray-
02-02-2012, 05:21 PM
Yep, I'm in Grand Rapids.

travis gore
02-02-2012, 05:38 PM
By the way, it did not happen unless you post up a pic. LOL
I saw a picture

Sent from the iPhone 4S

STL_G8GT
02-02-2012, 05:46 PM
I saw a picture

Sent from the iPhone 4S

Share!

vert
02-02-2012, 06:47 PM
I saw a picture
Sent from the iPhone 4S
A picture of what:flash::poke: LOL

travis gore
02-03-2012, 03:45 AM
A picture of what:flash::poke: LOL

of what you wanted to see

-Ray-
02-03-2012, 03:59 AM
LOL
I sent Travis pics to his iphone while I was polishing the TB.

JJhummus
02-03-2012, 01:33 PM
I got the cam gear, timing cover, and valley cover on last night. Now it is time to prep the block for the heads. Hopefully I will get them back in a week or two and get the thing back to driveable. Hopefully I can get the old cam sold and pay for better valve springs, but we'll see how that goes.

vert
02-07-2012, 05:54 PM
JJ, sounds like the install is coming right along and you should be finished soon.
I started to fab up some coil covers today. I am close on the passenger side and I think I am ready to make the final one. I still have to order my hose relocation and I can't finish the drivers side until I do my cam. count down is 5 weeks until my instal starts:)

JJhummus
02-07-2012, 06:16 PM
It is getting there. I ordered the gaskets and ARP head bolts yesterday. Just kind of sitting in limbo for the time being. I just got done wrinkle finishing the rocker covers. I plan on making new coil pack mounts to group them up a little better and clean up those rocker covers sometime this spring. So I am not doing coil covers... What is the final material for them?

Excuse me for missing it, but what cam are you going to run? I take it you are not doing the DoD delete.

vert
02-07-2012, 07:10 PM
It is getting there. I ordered the gaskets and ARP head bolts yesterday. Just kind of sitting in limbo for the time being. I just got done wrinkle finishing the rocker covers. I plan on making new coil pack mounts to group them up a little better and clean up those rocker covers sometime this spring. So I am not doing coil covers... What is the final material for them?

Excuse me for missing it, but what cam are you going to run? I take it you are not doing the DoD delete.
I am doing a DOD delete with a Patrick G spec'd cam. It is 222/226 with a 596/605 lift.
I was going to do a coil relocation and mount them at the firewall or on the fenderwells, but I changed my mind.
I am going to use 18g steel for the covers.

JJhummus
02-11-2012, 08:47 AM
Good job on the covers, you going to roll the material yourself? Just curious.

I am on the fence for the lifters on my DoD delete. My buddy races trucks and has 100+ LS2 lifters sitting around. I have checked and they are the good ACDelco ones, but yet the new LS7 ones are only $130 for a complete set. The non-DoD lifters are the LS7 ones, but then I'll have 8 sitting around. I guess I could always try to sell them on here...

Picked up the last of the gaskets and bolts this week. Now I'm getting antsy for Rick to get the heads done. Although the change in weather sure has dampened the drive to get it running. Nothing like 12 degrees this morning!

-Ray-
02-11-2012, 01:38 PM
Got mine back together today and started it up and let it run for a bit to get a heat cycle on the rockers. Everything seems normal.
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t16/ElecBlueG6GT/Comp%20Cam%20Trunions/IMG_0218.jpg

G8GT721
02-11-2012, 03:05 PM
Pulled the trans yesterday, and motor today. Trans is off to Century and will be doing dod delete in a few weeks. Will also be doing squash double pumper.http://img.tapatalk.com/ae3eb26a-f439-8e4b.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/ae3eb26a-f446-f58b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STL_G8GT
02-11-2012, 03:06 PM
Got mine back together today and started it up and let it run for a bit to get a heat cycle on the rockers. Everything seems normal.
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t16/ElecBlueG6GT/Comp%20Cam%20Trunions/IMG_0218.jpg

Shiny!!!

travis gore
02-11-2012, 05:29 PM

Nice! I know where to take my tb. Now :)

Sent from the iPhone 4S

JJhummus
02-15-2012, 11:36 AM
I picked up my last gaskets and LS7 lifters last night so I have all the things ready to put her back together. I talked to Rick yesterday and my heads are coming along nicely. He gave me some preliminary flow numbers, so I thought I would share. The exhaust ports are rough and flowing 218ish as compared to 189stock without a pipe. So, once he has them cleaned up they are definitely flowing better than stock. The intakes are flowing 226@.300, 278@.400, 312@.500, 339@.600, and 350@.700. I will have exact numbers later, but here are the published stock numbers.

Lift---Intake (cfm)---Exhaust (cfm)
0.200 151 111
0.300 208 152
0.400 256 174
0.500 294 183
0.600 316 189

vert
02-15-2012, 05:25 PM
HMMMM Looks like the idler assembly needs shined up.

vert
02-15-2012, 05:29 PM
I picked up my last gaskets and LS7 lifters last night so I have all the things ready to put her back together. I talked to Rick yesterday and my heads are coming along nicely. He gave me some preliminary flow numbers, so I thought I would share. The exhaust ports are rough and flowing 218ish as compared to 189stock without a pipe. So, once he has them cleaned up they are definitely flowing better than stock. The intakes are flowing 226@.300, 278@.400, 312@.500, 339@.600, and 350@.700. I will have exact numbers later, but here are the published stock numbers.

Lift---Intake (cfm)---Exhaust (cfm)
0.200 151 111
0.300 208 152
0.400 256 174
0.500 294 183
0.600 316 189

Numbers are looking good, are you running the cam in your sig?

JJhummus
02-15-2012, 07:36 PM
Yep, the TSP cam is in now. Numbers are looking good for the cam. I'm hoping it all works well together!
Numbers are looking good, are you running the cam in your sig?

ULTRA Z
02-16-2012, 12:55 AM
I'm doing the DOD delete with livernois 1C cam, Land Speed ported stage 2 heads he is also porting my intake and TB, Kooks Longtube headers, Nitto 555r drag radials 285/40r18.

thats probably it maybe a 2800 stall or a NX nitrous kit not sure on one of them or $$$ yet ....

ULTRA Z
02-16-2012, 12:58 AM
Trying to finish up my 4L80 conversion.... controls issues now.... new one pc driveshaft, Hendrix 9" rear, 434 LSX with Mast Ls7 racing heads, increase boost on the F1d procharger, Camaro Front brembos, Meth system, new 3" custom exhaust, .... almost all done except for damn controls issue with 4L80.... will get within the next month..... should be all ready by March 7th or so....

:surprise: WOW soo what did you increase the boost to :)

JJhummus
02-29-2012, 06:27 PM
Well, not much new here. I did get the block all cleaned up for Rick's heads but I leave for China on Sunday. So, I am going to get the valve springs shimmed a little to help seat pressure and then tidy everything up. So, I wont get the heads on before I go, but no biggie. When I get back I will degree the cam and then start assembly. I did get my rear Brembo brake brackets this week and powdercoated them. Now that is ready too. I can't wait to get back and get it together, especially after today!

vert
03-03-2012, 07:29 AM
Same here, I did one side of my coil covers finished. I am going to finish the drivers side once I do away with DOD and move my catch can. I need to send Greg a PM to get prices for gaskets.

warbird
03-03-2012, 08:24 PM
Had front/rear CTS-V calipers, DBA rotors and Hawk pads setting in boxes for last 2 weeks, hope to get them on in by the end of next month.

-Ray-
03-09-2012, 03:07 AM
Got the front bumper off, installing the splitter. Stuck on the spacer part now.

vert
03-09-2012, 03:37 AM
Got the front bumper off, installing the splitter. Stuck on the spacer part now.
So you went with taking the bumper off. I hope it is not to painful to install it with the bumper on. If I take the bumper off, I might as well take it in and have it painted.
I am sure the install is eaasy since it came with instructions. LOL

Jeff@Bohnman's Electronics
03-09-2012, 04:50 AM

Where are you stuck?

03-09-2012, 04:56 AM
Where are you stuck?

Sorry I didn't see your other post

-Ray-
03-09-2012, 05:33 AM
I may need another spacer. I cut one in half but doesn't seem to be long enough. It doesn't maintain a consistent gap. I have the lower grilles out which seems to be necessary to tighten the bolts for the spacers.
The spacer length was .600"
I was thinking of using washers and bolts and double nutting them to eliminate the spacer but ran out of time investigating that procedure. I took lots of pics. Not uploaded yet.

Sent from my phone

using Tapatalk

03-09-2012, 06:48 AM
I may need another spacer. I cut one in half but doesn't seem to be long enough. It doesn't maintain a consistent gap. I have the lower grilles out which seems to be necessary to tighten the bolts for the spacers.
The spacer length was .600"
I was thinking of using washers and bolts and double nutting them to eliminate the spacer but ran out of time investigating that procedure. I took lots of pics. Not uploaded yet.

Sent from my phone

using Tapatalk

Send me a pm with your mailing adress I'll get one out to you no problem

MIEngineer
03-15-2012, 05:11 PM
Haven't done anything rash...after two buyers could not get financing, i took it as a sign to hold onto it until sometime this year and maybe trade up for a V wagon.

My friend gets his V coupe this week...awesome ride.

Either way, I'm doing some exhaust work on the car soon while I figure out what I want to do :)

We'll see how it goes from there, I may just end up with heads and a cam after all...

STL_G8GT
03-15-2012, 05:15 PM
Haven't done anything rash...after two buyers could not get financing, i took it as a sign to hold onto it until sometime this year and maybe trade up for a V wagon.

My friend gets his V coupe this week...awesome ride.

Either way, I'm doing some exhaust work on the car soon while I figure out what I want to do :)

We'll see how it goes from there, I may just end up with heads and a cam after all...

Yes!!!!!!!!! :)

JJhummus
04-12-2012, 11:04 AM
Well, if you have read the other posts, my cam came back a little larger that it should have been, so I ordered another one today. The first was was used, so that is why I am ordering another... Rick sent me some specs on a cam he seems to like and should work fine with my set up. Should have it next week and can finally get back on track... Hope all of your plans are going good and you are out enjoying the great weather we are going to have.

J

vert
04-13-2012, 05:21 PM
Well, if you have read the other posts, my cam came back a little larger that it should have been, so I ordered another one today. The first was was used, so that is why I am ordering another... Rick sent me some specs on a cam he seems to like and should work fine with my set up. Should have it next week and can finally get back on track... Hope all of your plans are going good and you are out enjoying the great weather we are going to have.

J

I read your other thread on this and it sucks. Hope you get it back on the road soon.

vert
04-13-2012, 05:26 PM
I finished up my cam install and for the most part it went smooth. Worst part came right when I was finishing up and broke a valve cover bolt off. Luckily it was sticking up enough to get niddle nose on it. I got my tune downloaded, but I am having issues with the data logger, I usb error 53. Cable has gone back to VMS twice for an update, but the scanner is still having issues. I think my best bet is to take it to Norris in Indy for a dyno tune.

JJhummus
04-14-2012, 04:36 AM
I've heard those bolts can be a bear, but thankfully I have not had any issues with mine. While I'm waiting on the cam to show, I decided to install fuel rails. I hate the factory system for appearance, so I went with the Edelbrock dark grey ones. They are actually for the single plane set up, but for less than $100 and a couple minutes of my time to make mounts, it wasn't too bad. Going to powder the mounts matte black and run all black fittings, too... That will be done this week and hopefully about the same time the cam comes in so I can get her all back together next weekend. The only part that sucks is once it gets running it is heading to the tuner for the rework of the entire exhaust system. Adding merge spikes and V-Bands to the LTs with 3" piping. I still need to figure out the rear set-up...

JJhummus
04-25-2012, 04:32 AM
Making good progress. Heads are on, headers on, pushrods will be here tomorrow and will be finalizing the accessories over the weekend.

JJhummus
04-30-2012, 10:51 AM
15041Pretty much got it all back together. Just ordered some hoses to relocate the heater hoses and trimmed up my fuel rail brackets. I picked up the rest of the AN fittings for the fuel system today, so, should get it all fired up by the weekend.

JJhummus
05-03-2012, 06:09 PM
She lives!!! Finally got it all together and just took her around the neighborhood. Thanks to all that have helped and commented along the way. Anyone else have there projects done?

vert
05-03-2012, 06:29 PM
She lives!!! Finally got it all together and just took her around the neighborhood. Thanks to all that have helped and commented along the way. Anyone else have there projects done?

Congrats glad you finally got the cams lined out and installed. Time to burn some rubber.

STL_G8GT
05-03-2012, 06:31 PM

Congrats and hellllll no.....

JJhummus
05-15-2012, 04:33 AM
Here is a quick vid of the new cam, heads, intake and TB. I have not tuned it yet so there is some shift issues and rev issues, but give you a good idea of the mods.

http://youtu.be/_Lmy2bJZYd8

G8-4-Speed
05-15-2012, 11:56 AM
Here is a quick vid of the new cam, heads, intake and TB. I have not tuned it yet so there is some shift issues and rev issues, but give you a good idea of the mods.

Does really good for stock converter. Doesn't seem to have any loss of go-fast. Traction controlled seemed to be struggling a bit ....

-Ray-
05-15-2012, 04:08 PM
Congrats and hellllll no.....

I never even started mine. Except to lug some GXP wheels to hell and back.

JJhummus
05-16-2012, 06:10 AM
The traction control struggles a lot. Just goes up in smoke if I shut it off, though... It does get moving in a hurry. Should go even better once I get the short shifting fixed.

-Ray-
05-17-2012, 04:49 AM
Took mine in to my local dealer to check the control arms and do the recall.

JJhummus
05-20-2012, 06:08 PM
I have a Rick Crawford intake coming to round out the bolt on mods for me. I take it to the dyno on Wednesday, so we can get it all sorted out. Considering how it revs, I think the rev limiter will need raised to about 6400. Once this is all done, we can start the exhaust and then I'll get the brakes on it. Took her out after her bath tonight and man does it get going in a hurry.

G8-4-Speed
05-20-2012, 06:35 PM
I have a Rick Crawford intake coming to round out the bolt on mods for me. I take it to the dyno on Wednesday, so we can get it all sorted out. Considering how it revs, I think the rev limiter will need raised to about 6400. Once this is all done, we can start the exhaust and then I'll get the brakes on it. Took her out after her bath tonight and man does it get going in a hurry.

Only 6400?

JJhummus
05-21-2012, 07:33 AM
We'll see what the dyno says... Not sure where to set it at this point. What would you set it at 6700?

G8-4-Speed
05-21-2012, 07:56 AM
It will probably be fastest shifting at 6500+/- a 100. Rev limiter set at 6800. If you set the rev limiter too close to the shift points, you will hit it on days the car is running strong in good air. Cam should peak around 6000, just will depend on how well the power carries past peak on the shifts.

G8-4-Speed
05-21-2012, 08:23 AM
We'll see what the dyno says... Not sure where to set it at this point. What would you set it at 6700?
Just by watching your short video clip, you can hear the motor pull into peak Hp just as it shifts which looks to be @6000.

JJhummus
05-21-2012, 12:33 PM
That is exactly how it feels too.

vert
05-22-2012, 09:49 AM

Sounds real strong and you are putting the rear tires through a workout. LOL

JJhummus
05-23-2012, 06:06 AM
Waiting on my Rick special intake to arrive. Once I have that, I think I am about BOLT-ON out of parts for go fast goodies....

G8-4-Speed
05-23-2012, 07:13 AM
Fed Ex should be there any minute......

JJhummus
05-25-2012, 06:20 PM
Ok gang, had the dyno all day today and got the tune complete. With the old cam and setup my car made 378hp and 387tq and the car was dead at 6000 rpm... After playing with the tune and doing this on an absloutely horrible day to tune. We ended up at 407hp and same 387tq. However, this setup now carries power past 6800 rpm. At 5500 the motor breaks 400hp and carries that to redline at 6800, never drops back down and never really goes higher, kind freaky. That could be in partial to my exhaust which leaves a lot of room for improvement. If anyone is interested in Rick's new intake design, you might want to get one. In my case, his intake netted me 10rwhp and 4lbft. His heads and cam only netted 20rwhp, but the numbers don't state what the dyno shows... Before my car would peak (spike) torque at (387lbft) at 5250 but really maintained 370ish and then fell off quick to it's death at 6k and 340lbft. Now, there is no spike, it is a nice gradual curve with a max at the same rpm. It carries the tq through 6k and ends with roughly 350lbft at 6800. Also the average power rose from 275 to 303hp. So the mods for this winter definitely woke the car up and were well worth the money spent. Now I just need to get that exhaust done so she can breath and get all that out! Considering how cobbled together the exhaust is, ther is probably another 5-8hp waiting to come out.

-Ray-
05-26-2012, 02:34 AM
Sounds good.
I packed up my scratched up GXP wheels and sent them to Calif Chrome to get black fusion coat. I'll call Mike the Powder coater next week and get a quote to send my calipers to get powder coated.

JJhummus
05-29-2012, 05:46 AM
Here is the quick vid on a blast to 100.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFJPelmiDKA

G8-4-Speed
05-29-2012, 09:45 AM
Here is the quick vid on a blast to 100.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFJPelmiDKA

Your right, that was a "quick" video!

-Ray-
05-29-2012, 02:51 PM
I think my diff is starting to go. I hear an odd sound on decell.

JJhummus
06-05-2012, 06:00 AM
I took the Brembos home last night. They have been at my shop for a while, but I finally took them home in the hopes I can get them on soon. I also ordered my material to finish the exhaust. I'm building my own termination box to fit in the tunnel. I am curious how this works and since I like to experiment, I thought I would give it a try. I'm heading to Bentonville for a couple days and won't be able to work on anything until this weekend.

-Ray-
06-06-2012, 03:14 AM
my GXP wheels are in Calif and getting powder coated. I need to call Mike the Powder coater today, to get my brembo's coated. If everything goes right, I'll be at the track tonight with the G8.

JJhummus
06-10-2012, 05:34 AM
Any word on the wheels?

I started cutting the ends of the termination box yesterday. Got the 3" holes cut in them and will start the profile tomorrow. Going to 90 degrees here today, so I doubt I'll work on the brakes...

-Ray-
06-11-2012, 02:09 AM
We need to change the season in the topic title. LOL
It was supposed to take two weeks to finish the wheels. Plus shipping. It's only been a week.
I had another LS7 lifter go bad. Hopefully I didnt ruin the cam this time. I'll get the head off next weekend.