PDA

View Full Version : Goodyear Eagle GT A/S tires

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-09-2009, 06:00 PM
I just installed the newest generation Goodyear Eagle GT A/S tires on my G8 GT and I really love them. On dry and wet roads they have great traction, and the car handles fantastic in the corners. The car feels very stable on snow covered roads, and I can start and stop most of the time without the traction control or the ABS coming on. They are smooth and quiet on the highway, plus they look good. I highly recommend theses tires for your G8!

pkeplinger@unitedcommunit
01-09-2009, 07:45 PM
About $300 per tire?

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-09-2009, 08:53 PM
I paid $160 each for them at NTB

Slizzo
01-10-2009, 05:01 AM
That's pretty reasonable, what's the treadwear rating on those?

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-10-2009, 07:10 AM
It has a 300 treadwear rating, which is the same as any other tire in that category. I don't expect to get a lot of miles from an ultra high performance tire on a high performance car.

UGotSmkd
01-10-2009, 02:02 PM
I paid $160 each for them at NTB

Did they do the tire trade in deal?

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-10-2009, 02:55 PM
I kept the Potenza summer tires, they were worth a lot more than the trade in price. I sold 2 of them for $140 to a guy in the club that lives near me, and I still have 2 left that are for sale.

Slizzo
01-10-2009, 08:36 PM
I kept the Potenza summer tires, they were worth a lot more than the trade in price. I sold 2 of them for $140 to a guy in the club that lives near me, and I still have 2 left that are for sale.

My old Michelin Pilot Sport A/S that I had on my 18" Enkei's had a 440A treadwear rating, but then, those tires were $256 a pop in 245/45/18. :puke:

They were really great tires as well, excellent wet/dry traction.

But at a 300 treadwear these may be worth replacing the stockers with (when they're worn out)

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-10-2009, 08:54 PM
Actually I was wrong about the treadwear rating, it's 400 not 300.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Goodyear&model=Eagle+GT&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&partnum=445WR8GT&tirePageLocQty=%26partnum%3D445WR8GT

Slizzo
01-10-2009, 09:11 PM
Actually I was wrong about the treadwear rating, it's 400 not 300.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Goodyear&model=Eagle+GT&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&partnum=445WR8GT&tirePageLocQty=%26partnum%3D445WR8GT

Ah, alright, then these almost definitely will be replacements.

Thanks for the heads up!

WVG8GT
01-25-2009, 06:19 PM
I had these put on my 02 Monte in October and I swear to god they were the best snow tires I have EVER driven on. Incredible stability in wet and snowy condition, in fact I dont ever remember sliding 1 bit with them and we have been beaten up pretty bad in the pittsburgh, pa area. Btw, I do not drive agressive in snow so if your trying to go fast dont take my review at heart. But, if you respect what snow can do on the road and drive cautiously I can honestly say these Goodyears are top notch.

Now i have my G8GT and I think it would be wise to either get some snow's or possibly a set of these for the time being.

GT-610
01-26-2009, 03:38 PM
i have the eagle gt's as well....but you should all know that you cannot compare a treadwear rating from one company to the next because they all have their own system

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-26-2009, 03:48 PM
That's true, but most of the big tire companies have a pretty accurate rating system. Here's some info about treadwear ratings:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treadwear_rating

BMan
02-12-2009, 06:03 PM
I bought the 245/40/ZR19s about 2 weeks ago. I think they are a pretty good tire all around with one fairly significant exception: they are a very loud tire. So much so I'd say if I was going to run around with them year round, I probably would just step up and buy the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tire.

FWIW, I bought mine for about $203/tire via tires direct.

Slizzo
02-12-2009, 06:05 PM
I bought the 245/40/ZR19s about 2 weeks ago. I think they are a pretty good tire all around with one fairly significant exception: they are a very loud tire. So much so I'd say if I was going to run around with them year round, I probably would just step up and buy the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tire.

I loved my old Michelins.. I had the Pilot Sport A/S, and while they were expensive, they had the best wet traction IMO. Could be a torrential downpour, these tires didn't care, I could drive 70-80 safely with them.

GT-610
02-12-2009, 06:22 PM
That's true, but most of the big tire companies have a pretty accurate rating system. Here's some info about treadwear ratings:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treadwear_rating

I guess thats why my last cars set of 440 rated tire lasted 25k and my stockers rated at 320 lasted 33k???

they are highly innaccurate and all dealers will tell you the same.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
02-12-2009, 06:37 PM
Bman the Eagle GT's are noisier then the summer tires but not by much. Evidently your exhaust is too quiet and your radio is turned down to low if you can hear those tires! lol

GT-610 I've owned Goodyear, Michelin and BFGoodrich tires and the ratings seem to be pretty accurate. I'm sure there are other companies that do vary.

BMan
02-13-2009, 06:39 AM
Bman the Eagle GT's are noisier then the summer tires but not by much. Evidently your exhaust is too quiet and your radio is turned down to low if you can hear those tires! lol

All true. ;-) But I will say again that the Eagle GTs are indeed substantially noisier than the stock Bridgestones.

One reason you and I might be hearing different noise levels is the fact that I have the 19" rims and you have the 18's. If I've got this correct, I believe the tires on my car have a slightly lower profile than the tires on your 18" rims. The tires are different sizes and thus different in general, so they may even have different load ratings, sidewall stiffness, etc.

But yes. . . nothing that a nice exhaust won't solve! Coming soon . . .

SSD
02-13-2009, 08:37 AM
I did exactly the same thing. The factory Bridgestones weren't coping well with the cold temperatures, and had a dismal 140 treadwear rating. I love the Eagles, got 'em for 180 and kept the summer tires for summer. Very satisfied, even if I couldn't afford the Michelins, I find the Goodyears no louder than the factory ones. IMHO the Eagles do better in the rain, too.

Yes: treadwear ratings differ from company to company. But they're still a pretty fair indicator for tire life. Just be ready for some discrepancies.

Chewy
02-13-2009, 09:15 AM
I think I'll replace my summer only tires with some UHP A/S like these when the time comes. Not to use in the winter but to be able to use later in the fall or early winter and late winter early spring. I like my Blizzaks to much to not use them in the winter.

Chris

jbradsh1
02-13-2009, 12:33 PM

Thanks for the tip, I appreciate it. I was debating between these two. What's your take on the Yokahama Advan S.4? As of now, it's between either the Michelin's or the Yoko's.

jbradsh1
02-13-2009, 12:41 PM
Now that some are getting ready for replacement tires or even new wheels, how about a sticky on "favorite tires" to put on our G8's, with explanations (see below).

Can a moderator please step in to handle this; I'm sure the subject of "tire replacement" has a lot of interest to everyone. Getting feedback from forum members as to the following categories would be really informative as web sites such as Tire Rack & Discount Tire Direct can only give you so much information regarding our particular car, the Pontiac G8 GT. Thanks.
1. wear
2. smoothness
3. noise
4. wet handling
5. dry handling
6. steering response
7. cost
8. braking (wet & dry)

BMan
02-13-2009, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the tip, I appreciate it. I was debating between these two. What's your take on the Yokahama Advan S.4? As of now, it's between either the Michelin's or the Yoko's.

Sorry - I'm not familiar with the Yoko's although I didn't think they made any A/S tire in 245/40ZR19s.

EcoBrick Bob
02-13-2009, 02:02 PM
Son has General UHP's on GTO. Has driven in snow past two seasons. TireRack doesn't recommend them for snow however.

Michelin 19" A/S now have a 500 treadwear life. Cost around $300.!

Eventually we will need tires for holiday trips north in winter. Agree the new Goodyear's are the best bang for the buck.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
02-13-2009, 04:40 PM
Bman evidently your 19" Eagle GT's are noisier than the 18's I have, SSD says his 18's are pretty quiet too. Makes me glad I have the 18" wheels!

IXLR8
02-13-2009, 04:55 PM
I have had the Michelin Pilots, but not on the G8, and yes they are loud. I hear a lot of gripes about the Bridgestone RE050 OEM tires, but I like them. They are very predictable in a wide variety of conditions. I prefer that, over absolute performance. They will let you know when things are about to get out of hand. Fair enough.

They work much better at the drag strip if you smoke em up before the run. A 19" low profile tire id not an optimal drag tire, no matter who makes it... It just won't "wrinkle" for bite.

All season tires are not needed here, summer tires work good year round.

SRG963
02-13-2009, 05:00 PM
I'm going Nitto 555 255/35/19's next. Hoping for some traction :)

DRCUSTOMPARTS
02-13-2009, 05:12 PM
I liked the Potenza's on bare pavement as well, but they aren't worth a darn to us northerners when the roads have snow on them. I feel the Eagle GT's hookup and handle just as good as them on dry pavement, and they are superior to them on wet pavement.

Shawn the Nitto 555's are good tires, a lot of guys run them on their Grand Prix's and they really like them. The BF Goodrich Super Sports are also good tires, but I don't know if they come in that size.

SSD
02-22-2009, 08:19 AM
Between Michelin and Yoko, I'd go with Michelin. Truth be told, If I could have afforded it, I would have Michelins right now. But I am very satisfied, so no remorse!