PDA

View Full Version : Corsa bankrupt???

Darkside
01-09-2009, 03:24 PM
Anyone else hear this? I heard that creditors were going in soon, trying to figure out if they will stay afloat.

I know they laid off 18 employees recently. Any truth to this?

GTPprix
01-09-2009, 03:29 PM
I have heard that as well, not sure if it affects the marine division if that was a seperate company or not ect...

MANOFSTEEL69
01-09-2009, 03:49 PM
According to Jim Jr. they are doing some restructuring, but are still going to be in business.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-09-2009, 07:44 PM
With the state of our economy I'm sure many people aren't buying $1200+ catback systems. Maybe they would sell more og them if they lowered their prices. Actually I think all the catback systems are overpriced, except Magnaflow, which is still higher than I car to spend.

PontiacDan
01-09-2009, 10:11 PM
With the state of our economy I'm sure many people aren't buying $1200+ catback systems. Maybe they would sell more og them if they lowered their prices. Actually I think all the catback systems are overpriced, except Magnaflow, which is still higher than I car to spend.

I couldnt agree more. I had less than 1K in the exhaust in my 05 mustang gt, and that consisted of Long tubes, O/R H and Mac axlebacks.

Everything for these cars seems to be $800+ reguardless of what it is(Headers, Catback, etc)

Ktlplxm
01-10-2009, 06:12 AM

I unfortunately must disagree. The cost of the Corsa systems is on track for the quality of the product they produce. It takes them way longer to design a "quiet" system that still flows with, if not above, the less expensive systems. It always cost more to get a piece that meets multiple standards of acceptance vs just louder or flowing more. I personally hope they don't go under due to the fact they are one of the few companies, along with Borla, that I like the sound of their systems. Unfortunately, they don't quite have the following with the -$30K car owners as they do with the +30k. Not once have I ever had a customer come back and complain about the drone, resonance, or noise w/ their Corsa. No, I'm wrong, there was one guy with a C5 Z06 who pulled it off and had (i kid you not) glasspacks installed instead.

GRRRR8
01-10-2009, 06:15 AM
Agreed. Magnaflow can be purchased for around $600, you can not compare the 2. I have installed Magnaflow and Corsa on GTOs, no comparasion. I am not knocking Magnaflow, just saying there is a reason that Corsa costs more.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-10-2009, 06:52 AM
I'd like to know where you can get MF for that price, everywhere I see it it's $800

R&D costs are all part of producing a product, and a company can recoup that cost if they sell more products. Car companies spend a lot more money designing a car than Corsa does designing an exhaust system, compared to the amount they sell their products for. A car is $30K and one exhaust system is $1200 plus, now what's a better deal for the money?

GRRRR8
01-10-2009, 07:42 AM
I bought mine from Hottexhaust.com shipped it was $595. Now that was in June also. I shopped it for a few days and they had a coupon code at the time also. I have since sold it since I installed the ARH, as I didnt want to cut up a perfectly good exhaust to adapt it to the headers.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-10-2009, 08:51 AM
Well they are $839.95 now at that site, which is about the going price anywhere else.

GRRRR8
01-10-2009, 08:56 AM
WOW! Talk about a unnecessary price increase! I would not pay more then $600 for it. I have installed 3 on G8s and the fit and finish is good, but next to no HP gain and I had no issues with drone, but then again I understand then when you are making a change in exhaust, if you get rid of the mid muffler and mini resonators, odds are something in the sound at cruise will be unfavorable to some.

MANOFSTEEL69
01-10-2009, 10:03 AM
They are also going to show something compareable in the HP range of the ARH and Kooks full system to justify the price. So far I haven't seen anything. I will see if Jim will give me some dyno numbers....I believe the product itself is no doubt top notch, but the cost is way off mark, and is going to hurt them big time. Which I tried to explain to Jim.

-Ray-
01-10-2009, 10:09 AM
Since the economy is weak, one of the 1st thing vendors have to do is raise the prices.

GRRRR8
01-10-2009, 10:51 AM
Since the economy is weak, one of the 1st thing vendors have to do is raise the prices.

That is so true. Sales down, but the sales #s are the same. Sell 4 for 2400 or 3 for 2400.

MANOFSTEEL69
01-10-2009, 10:55 AM
Or none for any amount. :(

GRRRR8
01-10-2009, 11:09 AM
Or none for any amount. :(

That is the real truth.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-10-2009, 11:55 AM
That makes no sense at all, they should lower the prices to allow more people to buy their products because consumers have less money available for unnecessary purchases. This is why I sell my products for less money, more sales equals more profit. I haven't seen a decline in my sales at all during the last 6 months, so affordable prices will get any company through hard times.

-Ray-
01-10-2009, 07:02 PM
That makes no sense at all, they should lower the prices to allow more people to buy their products because consumers have less money available for unnecessary purchases. This is why I sell my products for less money, more sales equals more profit. I haven't seen a decline in my sales at all during the last 6 months, so affordable prices will get any company through hard times.

It makes perfect sense. The other thing they do is reduce work force. It's all comes down to the bottom line. If you sell less, you have to charge more.
There are going to be hundreds of stores across the country closing the doors. Didn't you see all the sale prices during Christmas? Did it help? No. People will not spend their money in a bad economy. Unless, you have disposable income.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-10-2009, 07:38 PM
Well I'm not raising my prices so I lose any sales. I'm doing just fine even though you say nobody is spending their money in a bad economy. In fact I have a bunch of parts to make tomorrow, so I guess people DO have disposable income to spend!

-Ray-
01-11-2009, 04:33 AM
Well I'm not raising my prices so I lose any sales. I'm doing just fine even though you say nobody is spending their money in a bad economy. In fact I have a bunch of parts to make tomorrow, so I guess people DO have disposable income to spend!

Time to let this one go. Congrats on your business.

MGMG8GT
01-11-2009, 10:28 AM
I have money to spend. However, I do not have 800+ dollars to spend on a freaking cat back. Raising prices will probably encourage me to never buy one of their products again. Ever.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-11-2009, 11:38 AM
You can have a custom system made for less than $500 just call around to find the best price.

GRRRR8
01-11-2009, 11:46 AM
You can have a custom system made for less than $500 just call around to find the best price.

Make sure whoever does it can bend a pipe without killing HP. If they can do Mandrel bending and are real good, you will find with muffs/X-pipe it will be around $750. Mufflers can be $250-$325 by themselves. If you go stainless on the pipes, even more. Do not use cheap pipe just to make some more sound. It doesnt last and looks like shit after a few months, especially in the north.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-11-2009, 12:03 PM
Here's some Corsa mufflers for $225 and they are stainless steel:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Corsa/255/8332541/10002/-1

Borla in stainless for $150:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Borla/157/40980/10002/-1

Magnaflow in stainless, most of them are less than $100:

http://www.jegs.com/p/Magnaflow/751042/10002/-1

G8GTlawride
01-12-2009, 07:32 PM

If you are contemplating spending 600-800 on the cat backs, save your money and buy the LT's. Much more bang for you buck. All you really get with the cat backs is noise. With the stock mufflers and LT's, the loss is only 2HP.

jbradsh1
01-13-2009, 02:38 AM
All you really get with the cat backs is noise. With the stock mufflers and LT's, the loss is only 2HP.

Sorry, but that's just not true!

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-13-2009, 03:54 AM
All you really get with the cat backs is noise.
Maybe that's what some people want. I wouldn't mind my car sounding a little more muscular, it's just too dang quiet for a V8.

Besides my car is pretty fast as it is, it's not like I'm drag racing it for living. Plus a catback is a little more acceptable than headers when it comes to warranty work.

MGMG8GT
01-13-2009, 06:14 AM
Ehh...if your dealership is going to deny warranty work because of headers, they will deny it for catbacks just as quickly.

pe63807
01-13-2009, 07:11 AM
I've got $200 tied up in my exhaust system. Bought the x-pipe and tips off of ebay and the mufflers from Summit. It sounds pretty good. I haven't had it out on the road because of the weather, so I don't know what the sound will be like at cruising speed. I'm just saying this because w/a little work, you can make your exhaust sound and perform the way you want it to.

GRRRR8
01-13-2009, 07:13 AM

Very true! 3hp gain with no mufflers at all.

Darkside
01-13-2009, 09:55 AM
Maybe that's what some people want. I wouldn't mind my car sounding a little more muscular, it's just too dang quiet for a V8.

Besides my car is pretty fast as it is, it's not like I'm drag racing it for living. Plus a catback is a little more acceptable than headers when it comes to warranty work.

You'd be better off with an axleback system, less expensive and it will get you increased sound. I believe there two on the market, and another one on the way.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-13-2009, 02:43 PM
Ehh...if your dealership is going to deny warranty work because of headers, they will deny it for catbacks just as quickly.
Not true, the dealer said if an aftermarket system uses the stock hangers and you keep the factory cats, they don't have a problem with it. Same goes for an aftermarket air intake, if it's not over oiled it's acceptable.

The axlebacks are $500+ and I can do 2 Magnaflow mufflers with pipes for half that amount. Then I can put the savings toward a CAI.

Darkside
01-13-2009, 04:02 PM
The axlebacks are $500+ and I can do 2 Magnaflow mufflers with pipes for half that amount. Then I can put the savings toward a CAI.

For now, be patient.

G8GTlawride
01-13-2009, 04:52 PM

WRONG! 2 hp with stock mufflers versus NONE. None being the 2hp adantage.

MANOFSTEEL69
01-13-2009, 05:04 PM
WRONG! 2 hp with stock mufflers versus NONE. None being the 2hp adantage.

Ok while everyone is tossing the HP thing around. That came from ARH when they designed their LT system. It was a 2HP difference to the negative if you use the stockers, as opposed to no mufflers at all. One of the main reasons they didn't screw with mufflers, the change was neglible, except in the sound dept.

GRRRR8
01-13-2009, 05:06 PM
EXACTLY!!! The mufflers are to tune a sound to ones taste, not for a HP gain.

jbradsh1
01-13-2009, 05:27 PM
Very true! 3hp gain with no mufflers at all.

Thanks Charlie. Yep, he did say cat back not axle back and I know that when you loose the mid muffler/resonators you definitely pick up a minimum of 10 rwhp, possibly a little more than that. Compare my new 1/4 mile times and speeds. Only change was installing the Magnaflow cat back and I even kept the stock mufflers and installed two 4" resonators to boot, q.e.d.

jbradsh1
01-13-2009, 05:35 PM
If you are contemplating spending 600-800 on the cat backs, save your money and buy the LT's. Much more bang for you buck. All you really get with the cat backs is noise. With the stock mufflers and LT's, the loss is only 2HP.

You did say cat back, did you not?

jbradsh1
01-13-2009, 05:51 PM
I understand the confusion now. I was referring to the comment re: cat back systems not making anything but noise, which is not true. The idea that LTs with stock muffs only making 2-3 hp less by keeping the stock muffs is well known and as a result I wasn't taking that up to comment on.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-13-2009, 06:03 PM
EXACTLY!!! The mufflers are to tune a sound to ones taste, not for a HP gain.
Charlie didn't you know that "turbo" mufflers will give you another 50hp.;)

GRRRR8
01-13-2009, 06:05 PM
Charlie didn't you know that "turbo" mufflers will give you another 50hp.;)

Thats why I have 4 of them! :woohoo:

G8GTlawride
01-13-2009, 06:09 PM
I understand the confusion now. I was referring to the comment re: cat back systems not making anything but noise, which is not true. The idea that LTs with stock muffs only making 2-3 hp less by keeping the stock muffs is well known and as a result I wasn't taking that up to comment on.

I stand corrected. I forget that these cars have so many mufflers. I was commenting on the axle backs vs the LT's, not the cat backs. That hp diff I do not know. I would suspect the LT's are still a significant improvent for the dollar spent than a cat back only system.

jbradsh1
01-13-2009, 06:37 PM
I stand corrected. I forget that these cars have so many mufflers. I was commenting on the axle backs vs the LT's, not the cat backs. That hp diff I do not know.

"I would suspect the LT's are still a significant improvent for the dollar spent than a cat back only system".

I think you are correct!

phpd7102
01-26-2009, 11:12 AM
I unfortunately must disagree. The cost of the Corsa systems is on track for the quality of the product they produce. It takes them way longer to design a "quiet" system that still flows with, if not above, the less expensive systems. It always cost more to get a piece that meets multiple standards of acceptance vs just louder or flowing more. I personally hope they don't go under due to the fact they are one of the few companies, along with Borla, that I like the sound of their systems. Unfortunately, they don't quite have the following with the -$30K car owners as they do with the +30k. Not once have I ever had a customer come back and complain about the drone, resonance, or noise w/ their Corsa. No, I'm wrong, there was one guy with a C5 Z06 who pulled it off and had (i kid you not) glasspacks installed instead.

I have had Corsa on just aboput every car I owned, 1st class system and the one time I needed customer service I got 1st class treatment.

locrzn#92
01-26-2009, 06:49 PM
H-pipe and proflow mufflers $300.00, sounds great, runs great and happy I didn't pay $800 for a system that doesn't make any hp or torque. Mine probably doesn't either, but, I'm happy it runs mid thirteens, not happy its colder then shit and freezing rain in Missouri. Ah WTF, only another month of cold, I'll get my tune soon and have some fun with my extra money I saved on cheap mufflers.

sstruck383
01-29-2009, 12:12 PM
H-pipe and proflow mufflers $300.00, sounds great, runs great and happy I didn't pay $800 for a system that doesn't make any hp or torque. Mine probably doesn't either, but, I'm happy it runs mid thirteens, not happy its colder then shit and freezing rain in Missouri. Ah WTF, only another month of cold, I'll get my tune soon and have some fun with my extra money I saved on cheap mufflers.

Does it drone?

sstruck383
02-15-2009, 07:18 AM
Any update on the Corsa exhaust?

99-LS1-SS
02-15-2009, 07:19 AM
Thats why I have 4 of them! :woohoo:

Yeah, you have to do something to make up for getting the slowest color!

nph2005
02-17-2009, 04:36 PM
Any update on the Corsa exhaust?

Emailed Corsa today and was told they are now shipping exhaust for the G8. Did not ask how much. I assume vendors will be cheaper once they have them. They said no drone at highway speed and they are quad tips. Just waiting for sound clips and vendor pricing.

Rich@pm-fl.com
02-18-2009, 11:11 AM
The kits for the G8 GT are scheduled to start shipping by the end of next week. The GXP kits will be shipping later. This kit a full catback system. There are no plans to offer an axle back only system.

Retail pricing on the GT kits is $1700. If you are interested in the Corsa exhaust, shoot me a PM, and I will set you up with a better price.

Greg@PacePerformance
02-18-2009, 11:16 AM
The kits for the G8 GT are scheduled to start shipping by the end of next week. The GXP kits will be shipping later. This kit a full catback system. There are no plans to offer an axle back only system.

Retail pricing on the GT kits is $1700. If you are interested in the Corsa exhaust, shoot me a PM, and I will set you up with a better price.

That is the same answer I got from them about a month ago. I hope it is true this time.
-Greg

KenV
02-19-2009, 08:45 PM
I've got $200 tied up in my exhaust system. Bought the x-pipe and tips off of ebay and the mufflers from Summit. It sounds pretty good. I haven't had it out on the road because of the weather, so I don't know what the sound will be like at cruising speed. I'm just saying this because w/a little work, you can make your exhaust sound and perform the way you want it to.

I can't be the only one who wants to hear more about this one. I know it means extra work, but I have the capability to assemble it all here at the home/shop and would rather use the $1500 saved to get LTs.....or in this economy, stockpile food :wacko: