PDA

View Full Version : Just received my OTR

UGotSmkd
01-09-2009, 12:56 PM
I received it 3 days before scheduled delivery. Thanks Mike. My only question is if this is all the hardware I need? (pic attached)

BlueJacket
01-09-2009, 01:04 PM
That is all you need and it should only take 10-15 mins to install.

UGotSmkd
01-09-2009, 01:09 PM
Thanks. I wasn't sure if there was any little hardware (i.e. screws, etc). Great product though.

BlueJacket
01-09-2009, 01:13 PM
Here are some pics of mine installed.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/bluejacket651/G8%20GT/IMG_7337.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/bluejacket651/G8%20GT/IMG_7338.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/bluejacket651/G8%20GT/IMG_7339.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/bluejacket651/G8%20GT/IMG_7340.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/bluejacket651/G8%20GT/IMG_7341.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/bluejacket651/G8%20GT/IMG_7344.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/bluejacket651/G8%20GT/IMG_7345.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/bluejacket651/G8%20GT/IMG_7347.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/bluejacket651/G8%20GT/IMG_7349.jpg

GTPprix
01-09-2009, 01:35 PM
Damn thats a nice piece!

UGotSmkd
01-09-2009, 02:05 PM
I just wonder how I am going to clean the filter or replace it if I have to.

Mav
01-09-2009, 02:17 PM
Thats a lot of pics. lol. Very cool though! Congrats to both of you! (Do the hood vents really allow that much air through to enable this thing to work properly?)

Mav
01-09-2009, 02:18 PM
I just wonder how I am going to clean the filter or replace it if I have to.

If it's a K&N, they sell a cleaning kit that supposed to work for a long time on that one filter. If not, then just unbolt those two screws/bolts (from the looks of it) slide it out, and replace with the same part #.

Mav
01-09-2009, 02:19 PM
I probably could have answered the question and commented all in one post, but I didn't (on accident). So I thought I'd post again to point that out. :)

BlueJacket
01-09-2009, 02:24 PM
Thats a lot of pics. lol. Very cool though! Congrats to both of you! (Do the hood vents really allow that much air through to enable this thing to work properly?)

It sets in front of the hood vents. The air comes from in front of the radiator after you tilt it back.

If it's a K&N, they sell a cleaning kit that supposed to work for a long time on that one filter. If not, then just unbolt those two screws/bolts (from the looks of it) slide it out, and replace with the same part #.

Sounds about right.

I probably could have answered the question and commented all in one post, but I didn't (on accident). So I thought I'd post again to point that out. :)

:zing: Post count whore.

Mike@NewEra
01-09-2009, 02:48 PM
We sell filter replacements for $39, when you remove the side clamps, it slides right out.

MANOFSTEEL69
01-09-2009, 03:51 PM
They're not cleanable?

Mike@NewEra
01-09-2009, 04:12 PM
Yes, it is K&N so it is cleanable, I was just mentioning that they are replaceable through us as well.

UGotSmkd
01-09-2009, 04:35 PM
Everything has gone smoothly until I try take off radiator mounts. I removed the tabs, and the damn mounts won't budge.

BlueJacket
01-09-2009, 04:50 PM
Stick a screw drive down into the hold were the clip was. There is a small catch in there push it in with the screw driver and it will slid right of.

UGotSmkd
01-09-2009, 04:56 PM
I was going to do just that, but did not want to break anything. Heading back out to the garage..........

UGotSmkd
01-09-2009, 07:20 PM
.......Finished a couple of hours ago. The only concern I have is the fan shroud is touching the lower radiator hose. Also, there didn't seem to be that much a gap for airflow with the radiator tilted back. Maybe an inch at the most. The hose in pic 2 is different than what was in the instructions, so I cut a few inches off to make it sit right. The cables in pic 3 seem to be blocking the airflow path. Is this normal?

Mike@NewEra
01-09-2009, 07:55 PM
Yep, you got it.

jetttstream
01-10-2009, 06:10 AM
.......Finished a couple of hours ago. The only concern I have is the fan shroud is touching the lower radiator hose. Also, there didn't seem to be that much a gap for airflow with the radiator tilted back. Maybe an inch at the most. The hose in pic 2 is different than what was in the instructions, so I cut a few inches off to make it sit right. The cables in pic 3 seem to be blocking the airflow path. Is this normal?

I don't want to post pics in Mike's thread, but you can re-route that hose in pic #2.

If Mike allow's I'll show a pic of what we did, but you can use 10mm ID hose and remove the factory hose piece right off the barb on the passenger side of the intake manifold...

...then you can route the hose right above the pulley.

Again, let me know if I can post pics, I do not want to overstep anything.

Thanks,
-Mike

ps, you did a great job on the install, VERY nice piece!

Mike@NewEra
01-10-2009, 08:04 AM
Go ahead with pics, the more info the better, thanks.

TomPierce
01-10-2009, 08:26 AM
I have a question -

The engine can move on its mounts - the radiator does not move on its - isn't that going to put pressure on the pieces of the CAI and possibly damage the MAF?

It looks as if now there is a solid connection between the engine and body with little or no flexibility.

Not trying to rain on anyones parade, but I was just curious.

jetttstream
01-10-2009, 08:44 AM
I have a question -

The engine can move on its mounts - the radiator does not move on its - isn't that going to put pressure on the pieces of the CAI and possibly damage the MAF?

It looks as if now there is a solid connection between the engine and body with little or no flexibility.

The silicone couplers on either side of the MAF absorb any engine movement.

There should be no danger to the MAF or the like.

-Mike

jetttstream
01-10-2009, 08:49 AM
Go ahead with pics, the more info the better, thanks.

Hose routing towards passenger side:

http://i512.photobucket.com/albums/t321/jetttstream/G8/January_2009017-1.jpg

-Mike

MANOFSTEEL69
01-10-2009, 08:57 AM
I have a question -

I had the wife throttle the car while I watched the intake....It doesn't move. I'm sure Mike wouldn't sell this product without covering his ass. :wacko:

GTPprix
01-10-2009, 09:00 AM
I had the wife throttle the car while I watched the intake....It doesn't move. I'm sure Mike wouldn't sell this product without covering his ass. :wacko:

Unloaded it wouldnt move much (if any) anyway, the coupler should absorb the movement but the engine definately moves under load on the street :)

MANOFSTEEL69
01-10-2009, 09:17 AM
Thanks MR. OBVIOUS! Ok...Let me clarify for those that do not understand the written word known as english. The intake under load from the torque of the motor does not move. Yes the engine does......The couplers between the MAF sensor, intake, and OTR absorb the motion from the engine to the OTR. :bm:

Mike@NewEra
01-10-2009, 09:27 AM
Lol!

GRRRR8
01-10-2009, 09:36 AM
And that is Jay Wikipedia at its finest! lol

TomPierce
01-10-2009, 09:37 AM
Lets settle this the easy way. Someone with this CAI and a video camera, take a video of the engine and CAI while you preload the transmission - brake torque it up to 2500 or 3000 just like you would for a normal dragstrip launch, and lets see if / how much it moves.

manofsteel69 I found your reply less respectful than the poster actually deserved. Even though it was not directed at me, it was not up to your usual standards.

Drag out the video camera and let's settle the question.

GTPprix
01-10-2009, 09:37 AM
Thanks MR. OBVIOUS! Ok...Let me clarify for those that do not understand the written word known as english. The intake under load from the torque of the motor does not move. Yes the engine does......The couplers between the MAF sensor, intake, and OTR absorb the motion from the engine to the OTR. :bm:

And you are still basing your results on an unloaded test. The intake might move a bit side to side who knows, I doubt anyone is driving around with a camera under the hood to watch ;) It's obviously not a big deal as I'm sure Mike tested the crap out of it before selling it. I wasnt being a tool about it so you dont have to reply like one.

MANOFSTEEL69
01-10-2009, 09:44 AM
Lets settle this the easy way. Someone with this CAI and a video camera, take a video of the engine and CAI while you preload the transmission - brake torque it up to 2500 or 3000 just like you would for a normal dragstrip launch, and lets see if / how much it moves.

manofsteel69 I found your reply less respectful than the poster actually deserved. Even though it was not directed at me, it was not up to your usual standards.

Drag out the video camera and let's settle the question.

That's because you don't understand the long history between the "poster" and my tuner. Not to mention the "posters" history on other sites.

As for your video test, as soon as the weather clears you've got that video coming if it will help put people at ease about the product, that I use, payed for, and 100% endorse.

GTPprix
01-10-2009, 09:45 AM
That's because you don't understand the long history between the "poster" and my tuner. Not to mention the "posters" history on other sites.

WTF does that have to do with, well ANYTHING? Mike and I are fine we had a lengthy conversation on the phone long ago. I'm in no way dissing his product if you read my other post on this product I even commented how awesome it looks.

-Ray-
01-10-2009, 09:47 AM
Lets take this to PM guys.

GTPprix
01-10-2009, 09:49 AM
BTW 5th post in this thread, check it ;)

UGotSmkd
01-10-2009, 01:39 PM
Yep, you got it.

Thanks. It does respond very well. Case in point, last night about 1 am took it for a spin, turned onto a main road and hit half throttle. I was up to 45 (the speed limit) in no time and let off. Apparently Mr. PoPo saw that too and busted a u turn and flew up to my ass for a few seconds (thought he was going to light me up), then turned off. When DoD is active, it does seem confused for a second when I get on it, but I know a tune should remedy any hesitations. Overall, it is more responsive and I am satisfied.

UGotSmkd
01-10-2009, 01:49 PM
I don't want to post pics in Mike's thread, but you can re-route that hose in pic #2.

If Mike allow's I'll show a pic of what we did, but you can use 10mm ID hose and remove the factory hose piece right off the barb on the passenger side of the intake manifold...

...then you can route the hose right above the pulley.

Again, let me know if I can post pics, I do not want to overstep anything.

Thanks,
-Mike

ps, you did a great job on the install, VERY nice piece!

What parts would I need and where would I get them. I understand what needs to be done, but I am still not sure how it is done.

Mike@NewEra
01-10-2009, 02:28 PM
He is saying just route the line on top differently, instead of going towards the driver side of the engine and down under the silicone, route it towards the passenger side above the silicone.

MichaelG8
03-13-2009, 11:12 AM
is this radiator mod really worht any power? if so, is the hp increase that New Era claims, with this mod?

-Ray-
03-13-2009, 11:34 AM
is this radiator mod really worht any power? if so, is the hp increase that New Era claims, with this mod?

This is a cold air intake, not a radiator mod. Is it worth the power? Everyone who bought says it is.

UGotSmkd
03-14-2009, 01:39 PM

Yes, he has dyno results to prove it.

It's A G8!
03-14-2009, 04:04 PM
Ive got the OTR intake and the tune that vector has for it. All I can say is what a difference.