PDA

View Full Version : 20x9/20x10.5 Vossen Wheels... pics

TrakDay
01-09-2009, 11:21 AM
Well after tons of research and calling around I decided on the wheels I wanted to order last week. They are the Vossen 082 wheels black lip, black finish, machined face. ONLY the face of the wheel is machined the sides of the spokes are even black. I wanted to make sure whatever I picked would flow with the chrome on the car and really make it look better. The next problem was making the wheels work. We spent days e-mailing and calling the manufacturer to verify the offsets and widths of the wheels so we could be sure that we could make them work. The guy at the manufacturer told me, "I can not guarantee that the wheels will work on your vehicle." I replied telling him, "I don't need a guarantee they will work on the car just a guarantee that the offsets and widths on the wheel are exactly what you say they are." Sure enough they were exactly what we had discussed.

I rushed the car to PMFL ion Odessa to have my Pedders coilovers installed and they had it done pretty darn quick for me with the perfect stance! Picked the car up from there and headed to my wheel shop where the guys stayed late to make sure we finished the car 100% before I left. We had the fenders rolled and that probably added an extra 3mm of space. And I must say he did an excellent job, no cracking of the paint at all... Just perfect!

The shop even went so far as to paint the wheel weights black before installing them and painted the brake calipers for me!

Anyways in the end we learned that you can squeeze a 10.5" wheel under this car without any MAJOR modifications. I do not consider shaving the wheels down or rolling anything MAJOR.

Anyways about the wheels:

Fronts: 20 x 9 - +35mm + 3mm shaved = +38mm offset with Yokohama S-Drive 245/35/20
Rears: 20 x 10.5 - +42mm + 3mm shaved = 45mm offset with Yokohama S-Drive 285/30/20

Suspension:

Pedders Extreme Coilovers dropped nearly 2" front and rear. The rear will be coming up about a 1/4" next week when we go ahead and do the alignment and install a few bushings.

I am getting a very mild rub on the rear wheels, but lifting the 1/4" in teh rear should get rid of that without a problem!

Anyways here are the pics shot at my office...

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e4/HSPMick/L1000676.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e4/HSPMick/L1000680.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e4/HSPMick/L1000683.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e4/HSPMick/L1000685.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e4/HSPMick/L1000689.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e4/HSPMick/L1000693.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e4/HSPMick/L1000705.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e4/HSPMick/L1000701.jpg

GRRRR8
01-09-2009, 11:33 AM
Very NICE!!! When you save 3mm shaved was that done in house or ordered like that.

TrakDay
01-09-2009, 11:56 AM
Very NICE!!! When you save 3mm shaved was that done in house or ordered like that.

My shop has a machine shop that does it for them. Took all of an hour to get them there shaved and back to the shop... LOL
Very simple task for any shop that has done it before.

99-LS1-SS
01-09-2009, 12:06 PM
Looks very good! How much clearance on the inside of the rear tires?

WhyteSS
01-09-2009, 12:35 PM
looks fantastic !!! great stance and rims.

TrakDay
01-09-2009, 01:00 PM
Funny how over here I am getting a completely different response than on "the other board"... haha

seems to be enough clearance on the inner fender well. But we are going to put it on a lift so I can really take a look at it and I will let you know! But the wheels/tire fitment it dead on. The stance is perfect not too far in or out of any of the wheel wells! I honestly couldn't ask for it to be any better and I absolutely love these wheels. I have already gotten tons of compliments on them throughout the night and day!

99-LS1-SS
01-09-2009, 01:34 PM
I do like how the tire lines up with the fender. I'm just scared to get the fender rolled. But, that is my personal issue.

TheTugBoat
01-09-2009, 02:41 PM
pure sex

GRRRR8
01-09-2009, 03:02 PM
My shop has a machine shop that does it for them. Took all of an hour to get them there shaved and back to the shop... LOL
Very simple task for any shop that has done it before.

Thanks! I will check locally to see if I can find a similiar option in a 18-19.

TrakDay
01-09-2009, 04:20 PM
Thanks! I will check locally to see if I can find a similiar option in a 18-19.

If you have a high end local car audio/wheel shop call them up, I am sure they have someone that can do it. Or if you are ordering new wheels talk to teh vendor you are buying from. A lot of times they can do it!

Thanks for the compliments guys. Everyone that walked in my office today was asking about the G8 and loved it. Wish everyone could see the car in person because the black lip on these things is insane! The work is second to none on this wheel all together!

It's A G8!
01-09-2009, 04:57 PM
SWEET!!! Did you notice and change in ride quality?

SRG963
01-09-2009, 05:09 PM
Anyways here are the pics shot at my office...

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e4/HSPMick/L1000676.jpg

LOL, I park the same way. Bet we all park about 4 feet back. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Your car looks grrr8 BTW

TrakDay
01-09-2009, 05:20 PM
Even being lowered with the low profile tires... It still rides GREAT! Not as good as stock, but I am extremely impressed with it given my aggressive setup!

HAHA.... I was laughing at how I parked before I started taking pictures. My front bumper will not clear much of anything right now... LOL

JMorris
01-09-2009, 06:14 PM
Man you rock! thank you for the info, all very valuable to me as I am considering Vossen for my rims, trying to figure out what offsets will work and clearances. Now I also get to see how that a285 looks in a 20 with the same Peder's drop I will have. The car looks killer! Parking is gonna be a PITA.

On a side note; How the hell do you get the pics to load up? Do I need to use an old school camera or what? How do I make them smaller in size? I know what the process is supposed to be but it doesn't work!

GeorgeInNePa
01-09-2009, 06:43 PM
I think I would prefer them all black, but that's just me.

Please explain one thing to me. I thought I finally had a grasp of offset. How does taking 3mm off of the backside of the rim hub ADD to the offset?

99-LS1-SS
01-09-2009, 06:51 PM
Technically by shaving 3 mm off he's adding 3mm to the positive offset. Adding positive offset brings the outside of the rim in towards the car. Offset has whipped my ass until I tried to learn what size rims we can fit.

GeorgeInNePa
01-09-2009, 07:05 PM
Technically by shaving 3 mm off he's adding 3mm to the positive offset. Adding positive offset brings the outside of the rim in towards the car. Offset has whipped my ass until I tried to learn what size rims we can fit.

I thought that adding offset to the rim moved the outside edge OUT away from the centerline.

G8V8
01-09-2009, 07:26 PM
I thought that adding offset to the rim moved the outside edge OUT away from the centerline.

Ah, grasshopper, you must think of it as the mounting surface on the hub being fixed or stationary and the centerline of the wheel as moving. If the mouting surface is fixed and you add offset (distance from the hub surface to the wheel centerline, the wheel centerline in moving inward relative to the mounting surface as the offset number gets bigger.

TrakDay
01-09-2009, 08:00 PM
Man you rock! thank you for the info, all very valuable to me as I am considering Vossen for my rims, trying to figure out what offsets will work and clearances. Now I also get to see how that a285 looks in a 20 with the same Peder's drop I will have. The car looks killer! Parking is gonna be a PITA.

On a side note; How the hell do you get the pics to load up? Do I need to use an old school camera or what? How do I make them smaller in size? I know what the process is supposed to be but it doesn't work!

Good luck man but make sure you double and triple check on offsets with teh guys at Vossen I got 3 different answers about offsets for the 082 wheel and just got more and more confused. Contact them through e-mail and make sure they e-mail you back with the offsets so you have it down on paper. The quality of these wheels and their paint for the wheels is above and beyond what I have ever seen! Very nice detail!!!

JMorris
01-09-2009, 08:15 PM
That's a good idea, I doubt the phone conversation would hold up if an issue arose. They did say they will not guarantee fitments even with the 45mm offset. I think they just want to cover there butts. Still as long the off set is what they say, there should be no issues.

TrakDay
01-09-2009, 08:20 PM
That's a good idea, I doubt the phone conversation would hold up if an issue arose. They did say they will not guarantee fitments even with the 45mm offset. I think they just want to cover there butts. Still as long the off set is what they say, there should be no issues.

And thats what i told him. I simply said I don't need a guarantee they will fit my car. Just that the offsets and widths are exactly what you are tell me they are! Got mine in shaved them down and you have seen the outcome. I hope you get a set of Vossens. The quality on these wheels is INSANE.

GeorgeInNePa
01-09-2009, 08:26 PM
Ah, grasshopper, you must think of it as the mounting surface on the hub being fixed or stationary and the centerline of the wheel as moving. If the mouting surface is fixed and you add offset (distance from the hub surface to the wheel centerline, the wheel centerline in moving inward relative to the mounting surface as the offset number gets bigger.

I think I've got it now.

Then again...

99-LS1-SS
01-10-2009, 05:25 AM
I think I've got it now.

Then again...

LOL! Georgia I feel your pain. I don't know if it will help you but it did help me. I'm a visual person and I have to see something to understand it. I drew a picture of a cross section of a rim similar to the one below. Then I drew a another picture of the cross section of the fender well looking from front to back and I moved the offset positive and negative until I understood it.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn189/4gasem/offset.gif

DZL
01-10-2009, 04:18 PM
what was the cost on the wheels alone...?