PDA

View Full Version : Aus vs US..Wondering..

jeffs42885
12-12-2011, 09:59 PM
So I am just curious about something. I've had this discussion with some of my friends before, who are "import" people. I've shown pics of various Holdens, and some of the W427.

My car was like, 27 when I bought it. I've seen some SICK looking e-series go for like 60k. That's grandsport territory here in the states. But, I'm not sure how the value of a dollar is over there, etc..So..

Complete this sentence..Buying a 60k holden in aus..is like buying a blank blank in the states..

Crazy Paul
12-12-2011, 11:57 PM
But, I'm not sure how the value of a dollar is over there, etc..So...

Today
60,000.00 AUD = 60,511.07 USD

August 1st 2011
60,000.00 AUD = 66,067.22 USD

March 3rd 2009
60,000.00 AUD = 37,761.06 USD

J Wikoff
12-13-2011, 07:13 AM
For scale... what's a run of the mill family sedan go for in Australia?

EDIT: I checked out Honda AU. An Accord starts around $36k, and the starting price for the top trim "V6 Luxury" is about $54k.

Mr.Angry.GTP
12-13-2011, 03:47 PM
So I geuss the question is (for Paul and the Aussies) what is a new SSV (G8 GT) going for and what is an HSV GXP (G8 GXP) going for in Australia?

From what I understand, Australians were paying more for Holden Commodores in 2008/9 than Americans/Canadians were paying for Pontiac G8's... ironic considering the shipping costs involved bringing them across the Pacific...

Paul, not to thread jack, but Im dying to ask this question: Considering that Camaro (Im aware Holden had a big part in developing Camaro) and Commodore share the same platform, but come from different factories half the world away (I live 2 hours from where Camaros are born in Oshawa, Ontario, Canada), how would Holden people (and Australians in general) feel about the Commodore (Chevy Lumina or whatever GM N. America call it next) being built side by side with the Camaro (and Buick Regal) here in North America? From a cost perspective it seems more feasable... but I have a feeling internally, it would be very touchy/political within GM/Holden..

Comments? Anyone?

I drive an Oshawa built Pontiac Grand Prix right now, but I wouldnt be upset if Camaros were built in Australia as well for Austrlasia markets...

Mr.Angry.GTP
12-18-2011, 03:15 PM
I take it by the lack of response (and after doing some more reading on the net) that this is a touchy subject (the question of jobs being at stake anywhere these days is tough anywhere).

Apparently the prototype VF's are underway this month (Dec 2011), which gauruntees the Commodore will be designed/built in Australia until atleast 2018....

MIEngineer
12-18-2011, 04:21 PM
More efficient?

That would be to have the Australian market export the VE/Commodore like it has been to everywhere but the US.

That would be the case unless Australia gets a US built vehicle that can be shipped back to Australia in what would otherwise be empty containers to make shipping them back actually worth it...

Crazy Paul
12-18-2011, 05:18 PM
So I geuss the question is (for Paul and the Aussies) what is a new SSV (G8 GT) going for and what is an HSV GXP (G8 GXP) going for in Australia? Go to www.holden.com.au and spec yourself up a Commodore SS or SSV and check the pricetag.
HSV GXP is no longer made. Google the pricetag for when they were available a few years back.

From what I understand, Australians were paying more for Holden Commodores in 2008/9 than Americans/Canadians were paying for Pontiac G8's... ironic considering the shipping costs involved bringing them across the Pacific... Yes.

Paul, not to thread jack, but Im dying to ask this question: Considering that Camaro (Im aware Holden had a big part in developing Camaro) and Commodore share the same platform, but come from different factories half the world away (I live 2 hours from where Camaros are born in Oshawa, Ontario, Canada), how would Holden people (and Australians in general) feel about the Commodore (Chevy Lumina or whatever GM N. America call it next) being built side by side with the Camaro (and Buick Regal) here in North America? From a cost perspective it seems more feasable... but I have a feeling internally, it would be very touchy/political within GM/Holden..

Do some research into 2007-2011 Buick Park Avenue. Holden didn't have any problem that I'm aware of in selling off the design, tooling, IP to China for them to make their own "Holden Caprice". Deals can be struck with unions etc.
The USA/Canada is only a part of the Holden Export program.
http://www.holden.com.au/resources/images/corporate/map_exports.jpg

Mr.Angry.GTP
12-19-2011, 07:59 PM
Im aware Holden's are exported to many many markets in Asia/Pacific/Middle East and Europe... Thanks for the info on the Buick though.

What Im saying is, if GM already has a facility in North America making the Camaro which is a stable mate to the Commodore bc it uses the same platform, then why not invest in the remaining tooling and build the same car here? (instead of paying for shipping and burning fuel running ships across the pacific).

As many of us are aware, many vehicles are made in more than one factory arround the world (heck there are way more Buicks built and sold in China than in North America), so why not build the Commodore (or Chev SS sedan or whatever they call it next) in North America and be done with it...

Oh and Im all for bringing Holden as a brand to North America by the way... esp with the demise of Pontiac...

MIEngineer
12-19-2011, 08:43 PM
Thats a long story, and frankly, I think you'll be hard pressed to find anyone to share it.

A lot of reasons behind it.

It is what it is...I would like to see a VE Ute and/or Commodore sedan and wagon hit the states again. I'd buy one.

Mr.Angry.GTP
12-19-2011, 09:44 PM
^^^LOL... to which part are you referring to?

And remember, it may be fanciful I know, but if we dont dare to dream what do we got? Nothing.

Mr.Angry.GTP
12-19-2011, 09:47 PM
I have a feeling its a Geo/Political/Economical thing... Yep. Ill just buy a used G8 and forgetaboutit...

richmond2000
12-25-2011, 06:37 PM
A LITTLE thread jacking
was the UTE / wagon ever EXPORTED in LEFT HAND DRIVE as all i can find are sedans in LHD?
IMHO other then Politics I could see RHD versions of ZETA from Victoria and LHD from Ontario Canada