PDA

View Full Version : What do you want out of a muffler?

GRRRR8
01-09-2009, 11:04 AM
I see the ongoing questions and issues about mufflers. Well I know DRONE is the enemy, so what is it that everyone wants to see in a axleback set up for you factory exhaust or header systems. Feel free to list brands, sound desired, sound clips, polished/painted etc.

99-LS1-SS
01-09-2009, 12:25 PM
With the axle back I want the impossible, I want very high flow with limited sound.

My goal is to have the best flowing exhaust that isn't obnoxiously loud. The Camaro was loud and it got old.

MGMG8GT
01-09-2009, 12:34 PM
I love the Corsa, but I do not love the price tag.

R.Penguin
01-09-2009, 12:42 PM
Considering my fame as the inventor of the $66 exhaust mod & the $2200 exhaust mod it would probably wise for me to resist answering this question!

But dammit Charlie! Being a professional wiseass, I can't resist!

"What do you want out of a muffler?" Exhaust!

*hangs head in shame.*

:oops::ban:

confused2much
01-09-2009, 01:05 PM
Unrealistically I want it to be free....
Realistically I want it to be subtle in sound but have great air flow. I like when an exhaust has a mean sound to it without being obnoxious.

GRRRR8
01-09-2009, 02:57 PM
Considering my fame as the inventor of the $66 exhaust mod & the $2200 exhaust mod it would probably wise for me to resist answering this question!

But dammit Charlie! Being a professional wiseass, I can't resist!

"What do you want out of a muffler?" Exhaust!

*hangs head in shame.*

:oops::ban:

Now I knew this was coming and it was by 1 of the 3 I thought would do it! lol

R.Penguin
01-09-2009, 05:09 PM
Now I knew this was coming and it was by 1 of the 3 I thought would do it! lol
What do I win? :p

GRRRR8
01-09-2009, 05:30 PM
What do I win? :p

I small bottle of Dr Charlies two ball tonic. :woohoo: :nah:

R.Penguin
01-09-2009, 05:31 PM
I small bottle of Dr Charlies two ball tonic. :woohoo: :nah:
NOT AGAIN!!!!! :p

GRRRR8
01-09-2009, 05:38 PM
not again!!!!! :p

lol!

JMorris
01-09-2009, 07:40 PM
No drone!

pkeplinger@unitedcommunit
01-09-2009, 08:07 PM
low ruble at ide, quiet on the hwy with the windows up, no droning. My buddy has a newer GMC truck and the stock exhaust sounds great. The sound of the 6.0 Escalade sounds tough also.

GRRRR8
01-09-2009, 08:09 PM
ARH and stock muffs sounds similiar to those as well.

Blackdevil77
01-09-2009, 08:23 PM
I want high flow, little growl at idle to turn some heads, and a mean as hell roar when you get on it, with no drone while cruising.

NYG8GT
01-10-2009, 10:22 AM
I want something that flows well and sounds like the white car in this video with the 2 chamber Flowmaster. In fact this is probably the set up Im going to be doing myself :)

-z5yDjcXjeI

-Ray-
01-10-2009, 10:24 AM
Both of those sound pretty good.

-Ray-
01-10-2009, 11:24 AM
Is anyone interested in a race muffler. Where I race, you have to have mufflers. I don't want to race with my stockers.

Eric_GT
01-10-2009, 11:49 AM
I want something that flows well and sounds like the white car in this video with the 2 chamber Flowmaster. In fact this is probably the set up Im going to be doing myself :)

-z5yDjcXjeI

Holy balls! Whats up with that orange car??!!!! lol
I was laughin my ass off when he took off after that right turn!!!!

Oh yeah, a very deep throaty sound with a good rumble at idle.
I don't care for raspy as in the Corsa.

Slizzo
01-10-2009, 09:44 PM

-z5yDjcXjeI

Now that I listen to it, I too would like something that sounds like those 2 chamber flows. Maybe I need to go out an buy a set and have someone fab something up for me? :woohoo:

bwooten492
01-10-2009, 10:56 PM
Corsa for free!!!

NYG8GT
01-11-2009, 09:35 AM
Now that I listen to it, I too would like something that sounds like those 2 chamber flows. Maybe I need to go out an buy a set and have someone fab something up for me? :woohoo:

Thats what Im doing, having a buddy that works at a shop fab up a set for me, hes going to do the same to his Hemi 300c. He said it should only cost 100 bucks for labor and piping and then the cost of the mufflers. Havent priced mufflers yet but Im assuming it should cost less than 300 :woohoo:

It's A G8!
01-11-2009, 10:50 AM
Well I got to listen to charlie car yesterday and it sounds awsome! He has the ARH exhaust with stock muffs. That is the route I'm going. It's a little over stock on idle and just perfect when on the gas. Charlie you should take a video of you car so they can hear it.

GRRRR8
01-11-2009, 11:16 AM
I will do that for sure before the cam/heads. Then I will do 1 with cam/heads stock muffs and the new muffs.

-Ray-
01-11-2009, 03:02 PM
Corsa :)

bigwillys58
02-16-2009, 08:32 PM
im actually fabbing up a set of the single chamber flowies for mine... with 4" round polished tips. they really are a lot smaller than they look in the pic. when i start my car i want it to scare old ladys...
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r301/bigwillys58/08%20G8%20GT/01202009187.jpg

GeorgeInNePa
02-16-2009, 09:37 PM
with the axle back i want the impossible, i want very high flow with limited sound.

My goal is to have the best flowing exhaust that isn't obnoxiously loud. The camaro was loud and it got old.

this^^^

PantherGTBlack
02-16-2009, 10:09 PM
I'm going to have to take a trip down a road similar to Penguin and say, "I would love to get my manhood out of my muffler." I love my car but.... Any thoughts Charlie? How about a CRT (Cock Removal Tool)?? Perhaps this should be available in the Grrrr8 store, and of course a discount for the members. HAHA

Devilish34
02-17-2009, 04:24 AM
I want high flow, little growl at idle to turn some heads, and a mean as hell roar when you get on it, with no drone while cruising.

Ditto

MojaveG8
02-17-2009, 06:51 AM
With the axle back I want the impossible, I want very high flow with limited sound.

My goal is to have the best flowing exhaust that isn't obnoxiously loud. The Camaro was loud and it got old.

Totally agree

mpostr
02-17-2009, 03:43 PM
i want a rocket booster muffler that produces around 30,000lbs of thrust:poof:

DRCUSTOMPARTS
02-17-2009, 04:47 PM
I just installed a set of custom made Borla axle back mufflers and they sound great. The car just purrs when I'm cruisin, but it sounds mean as hell at WOT. There's a little bit of drone here and there, but that's to be expected with a performance muffler.

Mlozano
02-17-2009, 10:26 PM
Quad tips! Please...

locrzn#92
02-18-2009, 03:57 AM
I got what I wanted except for the drone. I put a set free flowing PROFLOW on mine, probably just a copy of one of the major brands, they sound awsome and I'm sure just like all the others, they really don't pick up any HP when dynoed. Still they made my car sound like it should have from the factory. Its very why the stock mufflers are so huge, they help eliminate that drone we all love so much. All the aftermarket muffs are half the size.

gearhead455
02-23-2009, 04:53 PM
I got what I wanted except for the drone. I put a set free flowing PROFLOW on mine, probably just a copy of one of the major brands, they sound awsome and I'm sure just like all the others, they really don't pick up any HP when dynoed. Still they made my car sound like it should have from the factory. Its very why the stock mufflers are so huge, they help eliminate that drone we all love so much. All the aftermarket muffs are half the size.

So the aftermarket mufflers are smaller than the factory ones,so the muffler shop has to fabricate some pipe to make them fit.Does anyone make a direct replacement that will bolt right up?

EcoBrick Bob
02-23-2009, 05:05 PM
What about a muffler for the loud noises in the passenger seat????

SLA
02-23-2009, 05:19 PM

:rofl:

G8GT721
02-23-2009, 05:22 PM

http://i323.photobucket.com/albums/nn453/kroche721/pimpslap.jpg

PantherGTBlack
02-24-2009, 12:39 AM
Looks like her pimp must roll on a moped...he slapped her ass off and she got some road rash.

cmgfireman
02-28-2009, 07:06 PM
I like the look of the stock quad tips. I just want a little more rumble. Nothing outrageous. I don't want to wake my kids when I go to work in the morning. I'm hoping the Flowmaster 3 chamber will do the trick. Yeah, the 2 chamber sounds a little tougher, I think the 3 chamber will give me the sound I think the G8 should have had from the factory.
The video on page 2 was very helpful in making my decision, so thanks.

piecesparts
03-04-2009, 11:29 AM
With all that has been stated here, WHAT will be the best? I have the new GT and would like to get some sound and perf out of it. I have been lurking on the www.pfyc.com website and the prices for Magnaflow is reasonable there, but I am sure that if the drone is too loud the wife will grumble. Should one just do the axle backs for an upgrade?

My local muff shop says they can put Magnas and tips on the car for a "LOT" less than a full package. Looking for some goodies in all the wrong places, here.

-Ray-
03-04-2009, 11:34 AM
I'm working on getting axle backs available to us by a muffler shop here in town. We had had some delays in receiving product.
We currently have a Corsa Red dB, Magnaflow, and a Delta 44 Flowmaster in process of being built.
We are also going to be offering a low budget version as well.
The mufflers will have 3/8" SS flanges with mandrel bends.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
03-04-2009, 04:15 PM
I agree, for what you get the axlebacks are VERY expensive. At the most they should be around $300 for a set. Some companies are charging twice that amount.

cmgfireman
03-06-2009, 08:04 PM
Agreed. 2 mufflers, a little pipe, and a couple of tips shouldn't bee 5 or 6 hundred dollars.

-Ray-
03-07-2009, 03:57 AM
Agreed. A brand name muffler will be around 400 shipped.

J&J Muffler
03-09-2009, 07:48 AM
I agree, for what you get the axlebacks are VERY expensive. At the most they should be around $300 for a set. Some companies are charging twice that amount.

That's a tough price point. For $300 we would be working for free.

piecesparts
03-09-2009, 08:10 AM
That's a tough price point. For $300 we would be working for free.

So, tell us what you would have invested in the mufflers, pipe and tips; and then figure a proper percentage for retail. Two muffs and short pipe work, in my book should not be $600.00. However, it is what the market is getting---wonder why?

My local muff shop tells me that they can beat the cost with Magnaflow components and Stainless steel piping. I haven't put them to the task, as of yet. I am always open to input.

J&J Muffler
03-09-2009, 08:19 AM
We agree $600 is too much for axle back's. Corsa's cost more, so will approach that number. If we can find another supplier we could go less than what we have figured. We just can't afford to stock a bunch of those to get the price down.

The tips can be all over in price. We've seen tips that range from $30 to over a $120 a piece.

piecesparts
03-09-2009, 08:53 AM
I would think that it is only fair for us to ask, and it is only as fair that you tell us what your bottom dollar is. I worked a retail farm supply business for awhile and if I could make $10.00 over my cost, I did what was necessary to bring that customer back. As I stated, open to input and will consider yours.

You have a business and it cannot run on fumes, so what your investment in this is, will be an important item.

J&J Muffler
03-09-2009, 09:03 AM
Well, were not a vendor yet, so getting into pricing is something we can't do at this time.
There is also someone else working on selling systems to you guys. As a business we can't give up everything. I'm sure as a business owner you'll understand.
We will be competitive though.
Honestly, I'm playing with G8 Ray's capital right now. He bought a welder, made the jig, then found out he can't learn how to weld on the job. So we ended up with his jig and mufflers.
Were a repair and muffler shop. We've been doing this every day for 20 years.

-Ray-
03-10-2009, 05:57 AM
I can weld. I just can't make pretty welds. Yet

red1997zq8
03-10-2009, 06:12 AM
I had a local shop in FWB (SAL'S Mufflers if anyone is around Fort Walton Beach Florida) weld in a Magnaflow Xpipe in place of the center muffler and two Magnaflow Fufflers with 3" tips and at first left in the resonators.....i was looking for good growl but not alot of inside noise so thought it might help. but this left the car in my opinion to quiet.....so back to the shop and now the resonators are gone and im happy idle is still reasonable and cruising is reasonable no drone problems yet and i love the growl when i get on it.....price was just under 600 but that is with the x pipe and removing of resonators.

cmgfireman
03-15-2009, 12:01 PM
What kind of sound can I expect from a Magnaflow axle back? Will it improve the grumble I'm looking for. I'm afraid the cat back with x pipe might be a little too loud.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
03-15-2009, 03:51 PM
Yes it will, the MF axlebacks sound similar to my custom Borla axlebacks, and I love the sound. They have a little bit of mild drone every now & then, but sound great when I'm on it. Here's a video of my axlebacks:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a375/DonRome/th_P1030154.jpg (http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a375/DonRome/?action=view&current=P1030154.flv)

cmgfireman
03-15-2009, 05:30 PM
Sounds great. But without a before and after, I can't tell how different it sounds from stock. Has it made a significant difference? Does it sound nice outside the car?
Stock, they just don't sound like there's 361 ponies under the hood.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
03-15-2009, 05:48 PM
It's much louder than stock, yet it's not too loud, it's just right. I haven't heard it outside the car, but the guys I work with said it sounds mean when I take off. I couldn't even hear the stock exhaust before, and now it sounds like a mighty V8!

cmgfireman
03-15-2009, 06:38 PM
Thanks. That's what I wanted to know. And that's what I want to hear.

piecesparts
03-16-2009, 01:14 PM
It's much louder than stock, yet it's not too loud, it's just right. I haven't heard it outside the car, but the guys I work with said it sounds mean when I take off. I couldn't even hear the stock exhaust before, and now it sounds like a mighty V8!

Did you take out the center muffler, or is your sound track with the center muffler installed?

DRCUSTOMPARTS
03-16-2009, 01:31 PM
The center muffler and resonators are still there, I just changed the rear mufflers.

R.Penguin
03-16-2009, 02:46 PM
Alright Charlie, I can't stand it no more! :rofl:

"What do you want out of a muffler?"

I want a long term commitment, someone to hold me when I'm sad, someone who treats me with respect and doesn't want me just for my body. I want long walks by the sea, and holding hands. And, and maybe, just maybe someday a ring. And children! Of course, lots of babys. :wah: :nah: :bjob: :screw:

:screw:

:puke:

YEE HAW! :p

Beleive it or not, I haven't had a drop!

-Ray-
03-16-2009, 02:53 PM
Admit it, you really just want to be used by a sexy penguin.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
03-16-2009, 03:20 PM
You mean there are sexy Penguins? Ray I think you have been hittin the bottle, lol

-Ray-
03-16-2009, 03:38 PM
You mean there are sexy Penguins? Ray I think you have been hittin the bottle, lol

Only a penguin would know. LOL

R.Penguin
03-16-2009, 04:08 PM
Admit it, you really just want to be used by a sexy penguin.
Over & over again! :rofl:

flensr
05-23-2009, 08:00 PM
Jumping into the thread late... I don't like noise so I want 5 things from an exhaust.

1. As much flow as possible.
2. Quiet. Really quiet. No Drone, no howl, nothing. Silent would be perfect.
3. Doesn't make the car sound like a 4-cyl P.O.S. (*brrrrraaaaaaapppp!!!*) bleh
4. Doesn't rust.
5. Doesn't have tips that look like I'm a kid who thinks the type R stickers really do make the car faster (ie. no coffee cans)

One 3" stainless slash-cut pipe out of each side is just fine as far as I'm concerned, but dual outlets on each side looks better I guess. The single exhaust is a lot more business-like in my opinion though... Less bling, moar powar, that sort of thing. Same reason why I don't really like chrome wheels... Not very serious looking IMHO if it's all glitzed up.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
05-23-2009, 09:20 PM
Then you must like your stock exhaust eh?

steve b.
05-26-2009, 05:07 AM
sound quality and performance

Executor999
06-15-2009, 06:38 PM
I'm glad I saw this thread because I feel the stock mufflers are too quiet on the G8 GT and want to consider aftermarket mufflers that have both more breathing and a notch up on noise level.

I read on this forum that GXP mufflers might do the trick but I know they are expen$ive. So what would you all recommend? Keep in mind that I will be getting ARH LT's installed so whatever I consider will be attached to those.

LastMohican
07-05-2009, 06:01 AM

I listened to every available sound clip I could find and, at the end of the day, it just seemed like the Pypes was a well made system and the frickin' price was right.

I have no expectation that with any performance mufflers you are going to get a perfect deal; at least I never have.

And, as I've indicated, these mufflers are "droney" at highway speed but I sure like it (overall) when compared to stock. I've got a bunch of stuff I want to do to my car so the fact that I could spend less than $300 and improve the sound versus $700 bucks made a lot of sense. The difference in price alone pays for the tuner! Somethings gotta give somewhere (that is if I intend on staying married...and I do!)

piecesparts
07-05-2009, 07:19 AM
I listened to every available sound clip I could find and, at the end of the day, it just seemed like the Pypes was a well made system and the frickin' price was right.

I have no expectation that with any performance mufflers you are going to get a perfect deal; at least I never have.

And, as I've indicated, these mufflers are "droney" at highway speed but I sure like it (overall) when compared to stock. I've got a bunch of stuff I want to do to my car so the fact that I could spend less than $300 and improve the sound versus $700 bucks made a lot of sense. The difference in price alone pays for the tuner! Somethings gotta give somewhere (that is if I intend on staying married...and I do!)

I found that I could eliminate a very large part of the "Droney" noise with the use of some undercoating and some "AccuMat" material in the trunk. I put the undercoating on the metal behind the plastic wheel wells and the metal surfaces under the fenders and the bumper. I also coated the tire carier housing and the back of the muffler heat shields. The inside of the trunk and trunk lid got the accumat treatment and also some undercoating where I could not reach, due to the metal framework of the car. This knocked the sounds down by over 60%.

mcduff
09-10-2009, 09:42 AM
Is there any update to this thread? Has anyone installed axle backs and have comments. I want to get something soon and while I was at Carlisle recently I heard some Vettes get different mufflers put on. I liked the Magnaflows so far from what I have heard. Any feedback?????

-Ray-
09-10-2009, 01:07 PM
There are tons of axle back comments on the site.

crl 01 ss
10-31-2009, 06:07 PM
I want a high flow muffler that sounds good, but isn't too loud. No drone would also be a plus.

POPSG8GT
11-06-2009, 08:35 PM
I took the resonator (mid point of the exhaust system) out and bridged with two pipes welded in place plust removed the factory mufflers and installed two magnaflo...Sounds really good, and without any excess cabin noise. Iam happy now. It truly sounds like a V-8. The people at the garage snapped their heads around and looked at the car when it was started in the shop. I heard some asking "what does he have in that car?"

Black_Ice
11-06-2009, 09:22 PM
so has any one tried a
XFORCE VAREX MUFFLER ??

aedeau
11-06-2009, 10:53 PM
I took the resonator (mid point of the exhaust system) out and bridged with two pipes welded in place plust removed the factory mufflers and installed two magnaflo...Sounds really good, and without any excess cabin noise. Iam happy now. It truly sounds like a V-8. The people at the garage snapped their heads around and looked at the car when it was started in the shop. I heard some asking "what does he have in that car?"

So essentially mid muffler deleted and replaced with a h-pipe? Do you still have the hot dog resonators on? Got sound clips?

G8JOE
11-14-2009, 12:20 PM
What I want is stainless steel 2.5 straight back after an X pipe, as straight as possible or mandrel bent pipes when you have to bend or turn them. I want straight through mufflers made of SS and won't rust or get too much louder with age. I do not want any drone. I want a burble at idle, I want a deep low sound when cruising with a slightly louder WOT sound that is not so loud as to be an ALL CALL to police. I want it to sound good and be noticed but not obnoxious or overly loud. I want it inexpensive, easy to install with no hassle like poor fit or rubbing or lopsided. I want SS dual tips just like stock perhaps 1/2 inch bigger. The closest to this I found was the 16887 street series Magnaflow catback, with the midmuffler/resonator. Perfect of course would be free or all ready came on the car.

POPSG8GT
11-16-2009, 05:49 PM
So essentially mid muffler deleted and replaced with a h-pipe? Do you still have the hot dog resonators on? Got sound clips?

Yes, I removed the mid-muffler (resonator). No "H" just two pipes straight back to the "Hot Dogs". Removed the stock muffler (at the back of the axle) and installed two Magnaflow. No sound clips yet but I will try to get something worth hearing.

aedeau
11-16-2009, 06:22 PM
Yes, I removed the mid-muffler (resonator). No "H" just two pipes straight back to the "Hot Dogs". Removed the stock muffler (at the back of the axle) and installed two Magnaflow. No sound clips yet but I will try to get something worth hearing.

I did something similar just this weekend.

Basically I have straight pipe running from cats to the rear mufflers (axle back). on the back I've got straight through xforce mufflers, which I think are similar in design to the magnaflows? (i.e. straight through with a perforated core?)

I guess yours should sound similar to mine. Do you have any drone? I surprisingly have no drone at all!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_Hb_oq1HXI

desertg8
01-02-2010, 05:40 PM
performance without the drone. not going to happen unless you stay stock or go with the corsa.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-02-2010, 05:52 PM
I can drive on the highway in the 1800 rpm zone with my Borla axlebacks, and I don't get any drone. I get a little around town if the car is accelerating in that rpm zone, but it's not bad and goes away once the car has settled into a steady speed.

James09G8
01-28-2010, 10:54 AM
performance without the drone. not going to happen unless you stay stock or go with the corsa.

i've been looking around for corsa products but only can find the full cat back system. where would i be able to find just the corsa axle back exhaust?

rez0nance
01-28-2010, 12:22 PM
i've been looking around for corsa products but only can find the full cat back system. where would i be able to find just the corsa axle back exhaust?

Does not exist.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-28-2010, 01:16 PM
Untrue and you should know that since Solo is now producing a droneless system using J bend pipes welded to the tailpipes.

dthornton8
01-28-2010, 06:17 PM

There are no Corsa Axlebacks but you can buy the Corsa Mufflers from Jegs... just google search "Corsa db black mufflers"

They are expensive for just mufflers though

piecesparts
01-30-2010, 10:10 AM

I am running MF axle backs and just recently put on a X-pipe in place of the center muffler. The drone is pretty much gone, with a slight rumble at the rear of the car. Sounds very much like my old 95 Impala SS with the exhaust upgrade, now.

-Ray-
01-30-2010, 07:58 PM
I am running MF axle backs and just recently put on a X-pipe in place of the center muffler. The drone is pretty much gone, with a slight rumble at the rear of the car. Sounds very much like my old 95 Impala SS with the exhaust upgrade, now.

Thats interesting. I had the absolute opposite happen.

Rick Maddux
02-10-2010, 03:38 AM
I want a silent giant! I sneak up on them and put the pedal and let em look at my taillights.

L76 FAN
04-16-2010, 03:38 PM
Plenty of flow with no drone!!!! I had a Magnaflow Cat-back on my GP GXP and it droned terribly.