PDA

View Full Version : Ok I have to vent a bit :\

GTPprix
08-15-2008, 04:52 AM
I'm about at my wits end with all of these people that have supposed "problems" with the tune or get low dyno numbers (who go back weeks later and do the after run without a new baseline) without EVER letting us know FIRST! This is getting rediculous, the whole point of the FXP is to custom tune, if you have dyno time scheduled PLEASE schedule the FXP load around this if possible. There is absolutely no reason for any of this

Ok..

/Rant off LOL

GRRRR8
08-15-2008, 04:57 AM
I agree! If the product is designed to be used a certain way, use it that way please. I know some of us do not get the ability to go on the dyno, so datalog and send Chris a file while you have FXP so it can be fine tuned. Chris no coffee for you!

G8V8
08-15-2008, 05:04 AM
I just sent some log files to VMS this morning to see what they think of their tune in my G8. I'm very happy with the results thus far. I think VMS and FXP is a great way to go.

-Ray-
08-15-2008, 05:05 AM
Vector Motorsports is ok, but I don't know about the Chris fellow.
:D

GRRRR8
08-15-2008, 05:17 AM
:eek: You had to go there!

G8GT594
08-15-2008, 05:30 AM
Some people are never happy. So fuck em. The simple truth is the tune works and works well. I don't have numbers but after the tune and tcm tune i raced the same srt8 charger and with the tune i actually kept up.

GRRRR8
08-15-2008, 05:32 AM
Golf Clap!!!!

EcoBrick Bob
08-15-2008, 06:20 AM
I am very happy with my VMS tune. Sorry you get so worked up over criticisms. Think part of the issue is that you have so many customers and that "some" will always complain.

"However, since you brought it up..."
Back in April, I had some minor installation issues with the ECM install, in part because the one you sent me didn't need the key re-learn (had never been in another car). I thought I had done something majorly wrong!!! And at 10 PM!!!!! Once I went online and found a Solstice owner who had experienced the same thing with his, I was OK. The crank re-learn was easy as "pie". My only suggestion was that you have more complete instructions that cover issues such as this, so we don't panic. Not all of us are "Charlie's!"....

I repeat.... "I AM VERY HAPPY WITH MY VMS TUNE!"

RRM

GRRRR8
08-15-2008, 06:24 AM
You all may not be me, but I have seen a lot you come a long ways. This site should fill in the gaps for everyone.

EcoBrick Bob
08-15-2008, 06:27 AM
Charlie,

You are faster at everything!!!! Including posting......

We will never beat Charlie.....

Rob

Chewy
08-15-2008, 06:28 AM
you all may not be me

thank the lord for that!

GRRRR8
08-15-2008, 06:32 AM
LMAO! It is not easy being me, FOR SURE! :mad: :D :eek:

Chewy
08-15-2008, 06:35 AM
LMAO! It is not easy being me, FOR SURE! :mad: :D :eek:

Now taking your cue from Chester Cheetah? :D

GRRRR8
08-15-2008, 06:36 AM
Better then Chester the Molester!

-Ray-
08-15-2008, 07:21 AM
Charlie,

You are faster at everything!!!! Including posting......

We will never beat Charlie.....

Rob

His wife said he was fast at everything too. :rolleyes:
Sorry for going off topic on your rant Chris. ;)

GRRRR8
08-15-2008, 07:23 AM
I knew I shoudnt have given you my phone # ! LOL

GTPprix
08-15-2008, 08:54 AM
His wife said he was fast at everything too. :rolleyes:
Sorry for going off topic on your rant Chris. ;)

LOL I dont care my rant is over LOL

EcoBrick Bob
08-15-2008, 08:54 AM
One last VMS comment..... To use the FlashExpress you NEED a Laptop Computer that has a good battery fully charged........unless you want to hold your desktop unit on your lap.....or....buy a verrrrry long usb cable......

That said, it was easy as "pie" to do the VMS FlashExpress!!!!

Like anything, if you have the right tool(s) in hand the job is usually easier much more fun.

Chester's Unka:oops:

GRRRR8
08-15-2008, 08:55 AM
Chris has had lunch and caffine now so he is all better! :rant:

GeorgeInNePa
08-15-2008, 09:10 AM
I need to learn how to data-log, hell I need to read the instructions for the DH. All I know how to do is get my 0-60's.

I'm in line for the FXP and my headers are going on soon.

GXPaycheck
08-15-2008, 09:19 AM
I'm about at my wits end with all of these people that have supposed "problems" with the tune or get low dyno numbers (who go back weeks later and do the after run without a new baseline) without EVER letting us know FIRST! This is getting rediculous, the whole point of the FXP is to custom tune, if you have dyno time scheduled PLEASE schedule the FXP load around this if possible. There is absolutely no reason for any of this

Ok..

/Rant off LOL

OK, being new to tuning (and being your basic dummy), I have to ask the stupid questions. Why would I need to do another baseline run? And I did not know I should call you guys first. Why is that? (I'm not trying to be a smartass, I seriously don't know). I thought you sent the tune and that was that. Is there something different I should do on the local dyno with the FXP? Perhaps I missed something in the instructions. Am I supposed to do the install, then do a run, and then send something to you to fine tune it?

I'm trying to learn here, guys. I know airplanes better than cars. Never been near a dyno until I bought the G8. My basic assumption is that you are the pro's. I am the amature. If it's not exactly right, then I could probably have missed something. (I never make mistakes. I thought I made a mistake once, but I was wrong) :)

-Ray-
08-15-2008, 09:22 AM
If you have a problem with a vendor, it's always good practice to work with them instead of posting on a public forum.

GXPaycheck
08-15-2008, 12:08 PM
If you have a problem with a vendor, it's always good practice to work with them instead of posting on a public forum.

I dont have a problem with the vendor. I just dont understand some of things in his post. I want to know if I'm missing something. And I have contacted VMS about my tune. Hopefully a road trip north will be forthcoming.

:beer2:

Love all the new smilies!!

Steve
08-15-2008, 03:33 PM

Ok..

/Rant off LOL

Bah.. my butt-dyno + the squeeling tires when shifting from 1st to 2nd say it's way faster :D

Also Vector has their own lovely section on the forum near the bottom under vendors where you can take any questions regarding their products

As far as the new baseline - (and let me pre-face this by saying i've never even been on a dyno so I'm as clueless as they come ;) ) i can only guess that perhaps doing a new 'before' run with say A/F readings and whatever other extra data you can provide them from that run (wideband blabla ) they can adjust their tune based on all that info. So if you call'm and make sure they're available when you're doing your dyno that would almost make it like someone from vector is AT the dyno where they'd do it in realtime, except now with the extra info they normally wouldn't have they can finetune it instead of just going by your list of mods.
So not necessary, but can yield you better results i'd guess.

disclaimer: this is an uneducated guess and my guess is as good as yours...... ok maybe a little better... :P hahahah ROFL j/k ;) :D

GRRRR8
08-15-2008, 04:16 PM
Your right Steve. A dyno can narrow down all the finer tuning points. Once that is done street tuning (if capable and have software) is the next step to even finer tuning.

EcoBrick Bob
08-15-2008, 05:59 PM
Most important thing about VMS.. They are prompt.. They respond immediately.... They never mislead...

My original ECM was shipped and received within 3 days for the cost of shipping. The FlashExpress arrived when promised... As busy as they are, they were SPOT ON! Much appreciated!

RRM

GXPaycheck
08-15-2008, 07:26 PM
I'm thinkin that the point was to dyno the same day you install so if there is a problem you can fix it quick while you still have the FEX. If folks are returning the cables and waiting a while to confirm the tune, that would be a pain. Unfortunately sometimes you have to put some miles on the car to check the results. Don't want to hang on to the FEX while others are waiting. The waiting list is getting longer every day. I'm gonna make the drive to VMS because I trust their experience with the car. My local guy will probably be doing his first G8 tune in the near future. I'm looking forward to seeing the outcome.

Steve
08-15-2008, 07:40 PM
Yeah I think that is the best way to go - have the car there without having to go back & forth by email

G8GTlawride
08-19-2008, 11:38 AM
I have their "Boxed" ECM tune as I purcased the new unit to keep my stock one for dealer visits and I have their HSRK. I have also ordered the Flashxpress to tune the TCM and to upgrade the ECM for the new headers that are currently on order from ARH (1 3/4). I have no dyno access or baseline or anything but the seat of my pants and a trust that comes from a reputable business. I think VMS has that, just from what you all write about, their attention to detail and their immediate response to issues we have. Looking forward to the FP when it arrives.

Question though for you who have done this. How long does the process take from start to finish?

What exactly does it entail?

I am also text message illiterate! What is LMAO?

Chewy
08-19-2008, 12:00 PM
I am also text message illiterate! What is LMAO?

Laughing My Ass Off

FYI!
http://www.urbandictionary.com/popular.php?character=A

Steve
08-19-2008, 12:10 PM
Did a small write up on my blog - here's the main part:
As far as the process goes the instructions were pretty clear.

1. Install the software from the USB Flash Drive on your computer. Obviously since you need to be next to your car a laptop is almost crucial (unless you have a desktop in your garage ;) )
2. In the Start Menu then select 'Install Drivers'. This installs the drivers to talk to the cable.
3. Connect the USB cable to your computer - it will now detect the cable as a new USB Port and some other messages will pop up.
4. Connect the OBDII Cable to the port in the car which is under the drivers side dash behind the hood-release. I had to get on all fours to see it hiding back there ;)
5. Turn the ignition key to 'run' and leave it there (don't start). Have the ignition on for at least 10 seconds and make sure anything extra (radio, A/C) is off. Also they recommend the door is closed so I simply opened the window and had the cable go in through there.
6. Start the ECM Reader, Select "Read ECM", It will ask you for a filename to save your ECM data as with the extension of 'LS2' which should be your lastname + order number (e.g. Smith1234.LS2) then Click Action->Connect.
7. Once done I cycled the ignition and did the same with the TCM programmer program
except that this saves out a 'TCM' file for your transmission.
Both Files downloaded somewhat slow where it felt like a good 5-10 minutes each.

I emailed both files to Vector as an attachment in an email, once again mentioning my fullname & order number at about 5pm PST. Next morning when I checked my email the modified tune was already there. (They renamed the new files with the term 'MOD' e.g. 'Smith1234MOD.LS2' and 'Smith1234MOD.TCM')

The process for programming is much the same as reading the original files but you just have to pick the file to program. Same connection, same items turned off, through the window. Fired up the ECM Programmer, Selected 'Program ECM' and navigated to & selected the new LS2 File. At first my screen sat at 0% trying to talk to the interface. They warn you to not shut down the program or disconnect the cable, but after 20 minutes of sitting there I took the chance and canceled the programmer. I reconnected & re-started the sequence and this time it worked. I noticed that programming took a lot less time than reading the original files even though on disk they are the same size (2mb each). I guesstimate it took anywhere from 2-5 minutes to upload the new files.

While both Reading and Programming all kinds of lights flash on the Dash like "ABS Failure" "Brake Failure" "Contact Dealer" etc and you'll hear several beeps & 'dings'. This is normal so don't worry :)

-----

Overall i'd say it put the grin back on my face when driving so I highly recommend it!

p.s. see what I thought of it in the Vector area of the board where I posted a small blurb.

G8GTlawride
08-19-2008, 12:57 PM
Did a small write up on my blog - here's the main part:
As far as the process goes the instructions were pretty clear.

1. Install the software from the USB Flash Drive on your computer. Obviously since you need to be next to your car a laptop is almost crucial (unless you have a desktop in your garage ;) )
2. In the Start Menu then select 'Install Drivers'. This installs the drivers to talk to the cable.
3. Connect the USB cable to your computer - it will now detect the cable as a new USB Port and some other messages will pop up.
4. Connect the OBDII Cable to the port in the car which is under the drivers side dash behind the hood-release. I had to get on all fours to see it hiding back there ;)
5. Turn the ignition key to 'run' and leave it there (don't start). Have the ignition on for at least 10 seconds and make sure anything extra (radio, A/C) is off. Also they recommend the door is closed so I simply opened the window and had the cable go in through there.
6. Start the ECM Reader, Select "Read ECM", It will ask you for a filename to save your ECM data as with the extension of 'LS2' which should be your lastname + order number (e.g. Smith1234.LS2) then Click Action->Connect.
7. Once done I cycled the ignition and did the same with the TCM programmer program
except that this saves out a 'TCM' file for your transmission.
Both Files downloaded somewhat slow where it felt like a good 5-10 minutes each.

I emailed both files to Vector as an attachment in an email, once again mentioning my fullname & order number at about 5pm PST. Next morning when I checked my email the modified tune was already there. (They renamed the new files with the term 'MOD' e.g. 'Smith1234MOD.LS2' and 'Smith1234MOD.TCM')

The process for programming is much the same as reading the original files but you just have to pick the file to program. Same connection, same items turned off, through the window. Fired up the ECM Programmer, Selected 'Program ECM' and navigated to & selected the new LS2 File. At first my screen sat at 0% trying to talk to the interface. They warn you to not shut down the program or disconnect the cable, but after 20 minutes of sitting there I took the chance and canceled the programmer. I reconnected & re-started the sequence and this time it worked. I noticed that programming took a lot less time than reading the original files even though on disk they are the same size (2mb each). I guesstimate it took anywhere from 2-5 minutes to upload the new files.

While both Reading and Programming all kinds of lights flash on the Dash like "ABS Failure" "Brake Failure" "Contact Dealer" etc and you'll hear several beeps & 'dings'. This is normal so don't worry :)

-----

Overall i'd say it put the grin back on my face when driving so I highly recommend it!

p.s. see what I thought of it in the Vector area of the board where I posted a small blurb.

I will and thank you.

-Ray-
08-19-2008, 12:57 PM
Steve, wouldn't this be better in it's own thread?

G8GTlawride
08-19-2008, 12:58 PM
Laughing My Ass Off

FYI!
http://www.urbandictionary.com/popular.php?character=A

Couldn't figure that one out! Thanks.

wreckwriter
08-19-2008, 12:58 PM
Just be sure everything, even daytime running lights, are off while reading or writing to the system. don't open doors, windows, turn on radio, etc. Also be sure your laptop won't go into sleep mode, screensaver, etc.

Panther 2
08-24-2008, 01:12 PM
I had a problem with the ecm from VMS ,both on the dyno and 1/4 mile . I spoke to Kirk ,sent it back to him to check and recieved it back in 2 days,I'm waiting for his response to my e-mail to see what he found. I will then put the car back on the dyno to see the results.Dyno's are more accurate than seat of the pants.

Panther 2
08-26-2008, 03:56 AM
Day 3, and still waiting for a response from Vector as to what they found on the ecm I sent back .

-Ray-
08-26-2008, 03:58 AM
You try calling them?

GTPprix
08-26-2008, 05:30 AM
You try calling them?

Considering that ECM has come and gone and as of yesterday no.No emails either, we are incredibly busy right now but if you call and leave a message you'll get a reply in 24 hours. If you PM well expect about a week on those since we are on about 30 different boards LOL

Also if you already got it back have you tried it?

G8GT594
08-26-2008, 06:00 AM
Considering that ECM has come and gone and as of yesterday no.No emails either, we are incredibly busy right now but if you call and leave a message you'll get a reply in 24 hours. If you PM well expect about a week on those since we are on about 30 different boards LOL

Also if you already got it back have you tried it?

I sent you a PM a couple of days ago expressing my apologies. Hope you have recieved that.

GRRRR8
08-26-2008, 06:11 AM
I just wanted to post this. Email Vector directly, do not PM. It would be best to call and leave a message. I know in my business if you call and dont leave a message you will never hear from me. It is very hard to keep up with PMs when you are on so many websites, I too am learning this. If you want to PM them on any site to say Hi or thank them thats fine. If you have a issue or question go directly to the source. Thanks Charlie

GTPprix
08-26-2008, 06:14 AM
Yup, I've started turning PM's off again on various boards because of this. If you call LEAVE A MESSAGE, we arent going to call you back unless you leave one :)

Panther 2
08-26-2008, 05:37 PM
Just so it's clear, I called when I recieved the ecm . I spoke to Deann who said Kirk would return my call . Finally on 8/26 I recieved Kirk's call, I'll be going on the dyno 8/28 to see the results. Kirk requested I send him some info from that, and I will. It gets a little old reading Chris's replies ,that you should have flash express when you dyno , you didn't e-mail ,you shouldn't pm , or your UNBELIEVABLE. Sometimes maybe an ecm doesn't produce the hp it was flashed to perform . I just happen to get one , I'm working with Kirk to solve the problem. The shop I work at has been in the performance bussiness for over 40 years. It was my choice to use your product. Not Everyone is unbelievable !

-Ray-
08-26-2008, 05:53 PM
What are you expecting to see on the dyno?

Panther 2
08-27-2008, 04:20 AM
More hp ,I made 317 uncorrected and 333 corrected, before the installation of the VMS ecm. Most dyno numbers are given in the corrected form, but uncorrected is the actual figure for the heat and air you are in at the time of the dyno run. I am looking for 15-20 hp. The car ran 13.49@107 prior to the VMS ecm. I'm working with Kirk on this and don't have a problem with him or his company.I just resent when some people imply that it must be you who has done something wrong .The replies VMS gives when someone isn't satisfied with their product is usually ,you are Vector bashing or:nutkick: you didn't follow some procedure.Well I for one am Ranting not bashing, and followed E-mails , back and forth with KIRK,with follow up phone conversations with him.

GTPprix
08-27-2008, 05:37 AM
The funny thing really is none of this was directed at you :) Also if you made 333 corrected thats pretty insane, most of the cars we do in house make about 335 tuned, but they baseline 295-300. :)

Panther 2
08-27-2008, 05:44 AM
I'll post the results for your satisfastion,INSANE as the may be.

GTPprix
08-27-2008, 05:48 AM
What track did you trap 107 at? Thats only 1 MPH slower than Charlie!!!

wreckwriter
08-27-2008, 06:09 AM
I'm locking this thread for the moment so things don't get out of hand. This may be over-ruled by admins.

Chewy
08-27-2008, 06:53 AM
It will remained closed by me! It's run its course.