PDA

View Full Version : Transmission shifting

madmax
01-08-2009, 04:01 PM
In My G8 GT, when the transmission shifts under normal driving, it seems like there is about a 1/2 second delay inbetween gears-------is this normal or do I already have a problem. I only have 1100 miles on it.

Can someone please advise me?

wreckwriter
01-08-2009, 04:20 PM
Stock shifting is pitiful. Be sure you have all TCM updates and if that's not enough, get a tune.

66goat
01-08-2009, 05:25 PM
Exactly...I have the tune from VMS if shifts quickly and with authority...

madmax
01-08-2009, 05:57 PM
Stock shifting is pitiful. Be sure you have all TCM updates and if that's not enough, get a tune.

How would I know if I have all the updates and where would I go to get them if I lack any-------the dealership?

Sorry I am a noob on this part of the G8

wreckwriter
01-08-2009, 06:06 PM
Unfortunately, yes, the dealer.

GeorgeInNePa
01-08-2009, 06:15 PM
How would I know if I have all the updates and where would I go to get them if I lack any-------the dealership?

Sorry I am a noob on this part of the G8

If it's an '09, it's my understanding that all updates were performed before you got the car.

If it's an '08, the dealer can check for updates with your VIN.

madmax
01-08-2009, 06:42 PM
Its an 09 Sooooooooooo, I have all the updates then. So are you guys saying that my tranny, with the delay in shifting gears is normal?

bwooten492
01-08-2009, 07:32 PM
Its an 09 Sooooooooooo, I have all the updates then. So are you guys saying that my tranny, with the delay in shifting gears is normal?

Dude these trannys suck bad. Its very normal. I would still check the dealer about updates but a tune is what really helps. Alot of guys have good experiences with Vector. Try them out. They are a sponsor here.

R.Penguin
01-08-2009, 07:49 PM
Dude these trannys suck bad. Its very normal. I would still check the dealer about updates but a tune is what really helps. Alot of guys have good experiences with Vector. Try them out. They are a sponsor here.
Dude these trannys suck bad.

Sorry, but I disagree strongly. The 6L80E is one of the most technologically advanced automatic transmissions in the industry, using clutch-to-clutch operation and an advanced integrated 32-bit transmission controller to deliver smooth and precise shifts.
The 6L80 also incorporates a host of advanced driving enhancement features, including advanced Performance Algorithm Shifting (PAS) and Driver Shift Control (DSC). PAS lets the electronic transmission controller override the automatic gear selection during closed throttle high lateral acceleration maneuvers, rapidly downshifting with the release of the torque converter clutch for smooth powering up when the throttle is reopened. Driver Shift Control allows the driver to sequentially shift gears manually via the gearshift lever.

Having quoted that, it is absolutely true that the factory software tune on the G8 GT totally sucks. Yeah, I know, the factory should have got it right to begin with. They didn't! Gotta live with it. The good news is that for a few hundred bucks you can have it custom tuned to your wants and needs. VMS got mine right the first time, via the internet in a few hours.

A well tuned 6L80E is amazing. :headbang:

bwooten492
01-08-2009, 08:10 PM
Dude these trannys suck bad.

Sorry, but I disagree strongly. The 6L80E is one of the most technologically advanced automatic transmissions in the industry, using clutch-to-clutch operation and an advanced integrated 32-bit transmission controller to deliver smooth and precise shifts.
The 6L80 also incorporates a host of advanced driving enhancement features, including advanced Performance Algorithm Shifting (PAS) and Driver Shift Control (DSC). PAS lets the electronic transmission controller override the automatic gear selection during closed throttle high lateral acceleration maneuvers, rapidly downshifting with the release of the torque converter clutch for smooth powering up when the throttle is reopened. Driver Shift Control allows the driver to sequentially shift gears manually via the gearshift lever.

Having quoted that, it is absolutely true that the factory software tune on the G8 GT totally sucks. Yeah, I know, the factory should have got it right to begin with. They didn't! Gotta live with it. The good news is that for a few hundred bucks you can have it custom tuned to your wants and needs. VMS got mine right the first time, via the internet in a few hours.

A well tuned 6L80E is amazing. :headbang:

Very true. I meant more of the tuning than the actual tranny.

madmax
01-09-2009, 03:02 AM
Thanks guys. You gave me the answer I was looking for.

foreosu
01-09-2009, 07:46 AM
The factory tuning of this tranny should be against the law. I am extremely disappointed and upset at the quality of it. When shifting in manual mode, it sometimes takes a good 1.5 - 2 full seconds for the next gear to be engaged. How this was seen as acceptable is beyond me.

I really hope my VMS tune that I have planned for this Spring makes a big difference. I saw a lot of posts about how the latest dealership TCM update helped and made a big difference, but I had it done this week and my tranny is still poop.

UGotSmkd
01-09-2009, 01:06 PM
You will probably notice the best improvement with the TCM update is in Sport mode. It does quicken the manual shifts slightly, but not like it should. Normal is...well...normal.