PDA

View Full Version : Catch can maintenence

AVIDMOTION
11-18-2011, 08:21 AM
I have a catch can and I must empty mine once a month. I will have 1/3 of the can filled in one month. My car don't burn oil or smoke, or use oil. I thought this was alot of nasty oil. Lately my hose going to the catch can is really loud, like a giant vacuum leak. I wonder if the can's filter medium has gotten clogged. The company I use, said on their website, that they have a replacement kit with screen, filter medium, new screws and free shipping. For like 6-7 bucks. It says the can should never need any maintenence for the life of the can etc. Can these things get clogged up in like 6 or 8 months? Any thoughts on this?

todds87ss
11-18-2011, 09:04 PM
Not sure what your screen looks like. Mine is just fine mesh screen, that can be removed and cleaned.

gr8lover
11-18-2011, 09:47 PM
how big is the can?... 1/3 of a small can doesnt seem like too much...... also if the can isnt full then how can it be blocked??... if you have anything solid that would block it then yo have bigger issues.... it should be like a mesh or steel wool type substance that should not get clogged.... check your hoses and make sure you dont have a big dip in it that oil could completely pool in and block... just some thoughts...

AVIDMOTION
11-19-2011, 03:00 AM
My hose(on the car) is short, goes straight to the source, no extra hose or loops. Neither hose is kinked or squished from the vacuum. Can seems to work, is only 9 months old or so. The most oil has been 3 shot glasses, usually 2.5 per month. Nasty gas smelling oil. No problems other then the loud vacuum noise, that was not hee before I believe.

SpeedRacerX
11-19-2011, 07:44 AM
Mine does catch a lot of oil too so I wouldn't worry about that but I don't have that sound.

texn884
11-19-2011, 09:27 AM
Better in the can than theur the intake. Its just vapors out of the crank right?
When I was driving my car every week I would empty the can and it would have 2 fingers in it and sometimes more depending on how heavy my right foot was. Normal driving is very little and normal.

todds87ss
11-19-2011, 07:40 PM
When mine was making that noise, I found a loose clamp.

Mier
11-19-2011, 08:05 PM
Mine is a UPR and it makes a fair bit of noise. I can hear it when the car is running and the can has what appears to be a steel pad in the top of the can that I guess catches the vapor to drip back into the can. I've never seen instruction on replacing it.

AVIDMOTION
11-20-2011, 06:28 PM
I guess it is fine, I will get that maintenence kit if when I look at it I can't clean it up pretty good.

mdg8gxp
11-24-2011, 05:22 AM
I have a UPR and haven't heard anything from it.

Napalm
12-05-2011, 12:46 PM
I have a UPR as well and I don't re call noises but I will check again.

+1 on the clamp thing, happened on my GTO a few years back. Age and vibration.

Also on the ammount. I get faster accumulation on the G8 than I got on my LS1 GTO. Also typically when your can is around 1/3 to 1/2 full it doesn't catch as well. This hasn't been scientifically proven that I know of. But I know if I don't empty mine then the ammount doesn't grow nearly as fast. IE you get more accumulation and captured with an empty can. So I check mine once a month or so.

On the filter media, I'd like to see which can you have. Most use a steel wool pad for a filter, like brillo pad, not 0000 steel wool.

AVIDMOTION
12-19-2011, 07:27 PM
I have the Crappy Bullshit prototypes, with the cool see through bottom cup. It has plastic fittings. Seems to work well enough, as said above works better empty.

Napalm
02-11-2012, 01:14 PM
Emptied mine again today during oil change.

once again, around 1/3 full. Little bit thicker than usual, but it was 20 degrees outside today

95_9C1
03-26-2012, 12:23 AM
I have the Crappy Bullshit prototypes

i didn't choose the "crappy bullshit" option when i ordered my Prototypes catch can

mine has worked very well

i am quite pleased with it