PDA

View Full Version : Spohn Swaybar Endlink Install and Review

TomPierce
11-16-2011, 03:42 PM
(A copy of this was send to Spohn Manufacturing - this copy has additional text)

I just installed a set of your front swaybar endlinks on my 2008 Pontiac G8 GT and I noticed something that I thought I'd mention.

As the new endlinks came shipped, the ball joint ends are aligned 90 degrees from one another. After I installed the first one, I noticed that it did not really look right. Somehow the alignment was off.

If you look at a stock endlink, you will see that the ball joint ends are actually 120 degrees (approximately) from each other.

Installing them as they were shipped meant that (with the front wheels pointed straight ahead) the bottom ball joint was pretty much 90 degrees to the swaybar (at the center of its travel), but the top ball joint was not at 90 degrees to the swaybar, but instead nearly at the edge of its travel.

I'm not sure how much the front strut can rotate when the front wheels are steered, but it looked as if the top joint was near binding with the wheels straight ahead.

Obviously the correction is simple - loosen the ball joint and realign it to match the stock piece, which I did.

This is not a complaint, just something I noticed. There was nothing in the instructions that suggested aligning the ball joints at the same 120 degree angle as the stock endlinks.

You might want to re-examine a stock G8 endlink to verify my measurements. Do you know if the Camaro stock endlinks are at the same angle?

Again, I have zero complaints about the quality of your products, especially considering the price. I am just hoping to help you avoid possible premature failure and annoyed customers.

Despite the above question, I can wholeheartedly recommend these front swaybar endlinks especially at the $95 price point. They immediately cured the front end rattle I was having and look to be a solidly constructed item that should last for a long time.

If I receive a reply from Spohn I'll post it here.

(If you decide to check yours, remember that one of the endlinks is reverse threaded into the shaft).

jcmGT
11-16-2011, 03:59 PM
Interesting. About a year ago, I picked up some spohn front endlinks from a camaro5 member and cut to fit the G8. The ends were normal heim ends which I ended up putting boots over and then greasing. Seems they changed to a ball/socket end - good!

Panzer Leader
11-22-2011, 04:57 PM
Any word from Spohn on this? Perhaps they were just shipped in that configuration by mistake. But if there was another reason I would like to know as well because I plan on doing this mod when I do the LCAs.

TomPierce
11-23-2011, 04:53 AM
The reply was:

"The Camaro end links are clocked like we shipped them to you. I wasn't aware of the different clocking for the G8 end links and will have to look into that, thanks for the info!"

I sent them a picture of the G8 endlink so they could compare.

richm52
12-22-2011, 05:25 PM
any response from Spohn on this?

TomPierce
12-23-2011, 02:22 AM
Nothing further than the original response.

desertg8
03-10-2012, 03:25 PM
here is a question. how do i adjust the ball joint in them. i see there is a cap on one end of the front ones. do i remove the cap? when i asked spohn all they said is they rotate. but did not say anything else. i have not looked at them super closely.

GRRRR8
03-10-2012, 03:40 PM
There is a special socket and allen wrench that comes with the lower control arms. I never did get a answer on preload from Spohn either, but I know the sets I installed were firm out of the box. I think adjustment is made after wear.

If you are talking about the non serviceable joints on the links, they do not come apart.

desertg8
03-10-2012, 05:16 PM
the end links for the front sway bar. the parts are at my office. i went to the office to do a couple of tax returns. then i headed off to the track for afternoon racing in Tucson. bested by 12.39 at 112. 12.31 at 113.69. track is at 3100 feet. was cool. da was 3600 feet with a little head wind.

so i am not looking at the end links now. i remember they have a plastic cap on them. i emailed spohn a couple of hours ago prclaiming my ignorance and asking for help.

desertg8
03-11-2012, 05:32 AM
Figured out. A high quality product! Would recommend them to anyone wanting an upgrade in their suspension system.

Anon
03-12-2012, 03:36 PM
Does anyone know if they have changed this or if it still needs to be adjusted before installation? I am thinking about doing some of these along with several other parts and I just want to know what to expect.

blue-mayhem
03-25-2012, 02:57 PM
My experience with the Spohn endlinks is not that good... My steering wheel has been shaking for a while now and my suspension just really didn't feel real solid. I finally put some Moog suspension endlinks on and it fixed everything... My steering wheel doesn't shake anymore and my car feels a hell of alot more solid now!!! If anyone is having these issue I would suggest getting the Moog endlinks. Also I was having some popping noises when I was turning left or right... Come to find out the nuts on the saddles that hold the front swaybar bushing came loose a little bit.

keperman
05-25-2012, 05:18 PM
let us know how the Snow Performance Stage 2 Meth Kit works out