PDA

View Full Version : Suspension: the definitive question thread.

Mike@snl[OLD]
01-07-2009, 10:51 AM
in the thread you will be able to ask ANY suspension question. The answers you will receive are to be completely unbiased towards product unless specifically asking for a product comparison.

got a noise you can't find? ask

wanna know the best products for you application? ask

nothing is off limits guys and girls.

99-LS1-SS
01-07-2009, 11:47 AM
I'll start off.

Hello Mike, first time caller here....(lol)

What bushings do you think are the weak link in the G8 (GXP specifically) suspension? I don't plan on going to any tracks other than a the occasional drag strip.

Saginaw748
01-07-2009, 12:11 PM
HA! Great first question.

When that is fielded, can someone tell me if I can/should do the Shocks and struts when doing lowering coil springs? If I don't, what will suffer?

I have my eye on a particular product, but I think it may be overkill. I'm not going to track it (in ANY way). I just want a sportier look (lower with the tires nearer to the fender wells) and less body roll/more control in the curves.

Lets think of it as "spirited" highway driving.

cobrakid
01-07-2009, 12:11 PM
I bought the Pedders diff bushings only.

Do you think that will cure the wheel hop? It is driving me crazy.

With trac control off......the thing will shake the balls off a brass monkey. LOL

I feel like I am hurting something everytime I do it. Not that I have done it that much, maybe 10 times total.

Mike@snl[OLD]
01-07-2009, 01:31 PM
I'll start off.

What bushings do you think are the weak link in the G8 (GXP specifically) suspension? I don't plan on going to any tracks other than a the occasional drag strip.

After driving many many g8's I can say the best bang for the buck is changing the diff. bushings and cradle bushings in the rear. This will give the car a much more solid feel in the rear. Stock to me feels very floaty.

Mike@snl[OLD]
01-07-2009, 01:33 PM
HA! Great first question.

When that is fielded, can someone tell me if I can/should do the Shocks and struts when doing lowering coil springs? If I don't, what will suffer?

I have my eye on a particular product, but I think it may be overkill. I'm not going to track it (in ANY way). I just want a sportier look (lower with the tires nearer to the fender wells) and less body roll/more control in the curves.

Lets think of it as "spirited" highway driving.

With any lowering spring you should compensate with a shorter travel strut. Can you get away with not doing this? Yes you can. How long will it last? Depends on your driving style and how much abuse the car is put through. If you do not change your struts to work with your springs what will eventually happen is the valving in the shock will wear and will not dampen properly giving a harsher ride.

Mike@snl[OLD]
01-07-2009, 01:37 PM
I bought the Pedders diff bushings only.

Do you think that will cure the wheel hop? It is driving me crazy.

With trac control off......the thing will shake the balls off a brass monkey. LOL

I feel like I am hurting something everytime I do it. Not that I have done it that much, maybe 10 times total.

Oh the joys of owning an independent rear suspension.

Having those bushing will dramatically improve your wheel hop. Is it a cure all? No, nothing really is. It's a combination of things. I would suggest upper control arm bushings and lower inner and outer control arm bushings to get that wheel hop under control.

TomPierce
01-07-2009, 01:39 PM
+1 what Mike@snlperformance said - even I could feel the difference.

And the fastest SCCA driver I know just bought a G8 GT, and she says get the Caster Lockwashers and Front Radius Rod Bushing. That should take care of the front.

Other than that, I'm going to just wait for the rest of it to wear out before replacing anything else.

Mike@snl[OLD]
01-07-2009, 01:43 PM
+1 what Mike@snlperformance said - even I could feel the difference.

And the fastest SCCA driver I know just bought a G8 GT, and she says get the Caster Lockwashers and Front Radius Rod Bushing. That should take care of the front.

Other than that, I'm going to just wait for the rest of it to wear out before replacing anything else.

Changing your front radius bushings out will improve braking response and front end feel dramatically.

Cashed
01-07-2009, 01:46 PM
Changing your front radius bushings out will improve braking response and front end feel dramatically.

I agree 100% with the above statement. I have yet to track my car, but with "spirited" highway driving, I have noticed a HUGE difference with the changing of my front radius bushings. Makes the brakes feel bigger IMHO.

dms
01-07-2009, 01:56 PM
I'll start off.

The 3 weakest bushings in the Zeta platform are the following:
Zeta Rear Extreme Sub-Frame Connector Kit
Zeta Rear Differential Bush Kit
Zeta Front Radius Rod Bush includes 5421 caster washer.

Eliminate the serious movement the rear cradle has and are a pretty easy DIY project. I have posted a procedure for everyone up on the forums to evaluate

Rear differential bushing upgrades seriously stabilizes the rear differential and helps transfer torque much easier. Does require pressing out and has a couple ofr challenges due to the rubber being so soft, and the outer jacket being aluminum.

Upgrading the radius rod bushing is a major upgrade. The front OEM radius rod is not as bad as the OEM GTO unit, but it is still fluid filled and still allows lots of caster/toe changes. Plus it includes caster shims to increase caster approx 1.25 degrees, which is a really big deal.

thanks
mike
dms

dms
01-07-2009, 01:58 PM
Oh the joys of owning an independent rear suspension.

Having those bushing will dramatically improve your wheel hop. Is it a cure all? No, nothing really is. It's a combination of things. I would suggest upper control arm bushings and lower inner and outer control arm bushings to get that wheel hop under control.

Mike, you should also mention the rear cradle mount inserts as well.

thanks
mike
dms

Mike@snl[OLD]
01-07-2009, 03:14 PM
The 3 weakest bushings in the Zeta platform are the following:
EP1169 Zeta Rear Extreme Sub-Frame Connector Kit
EP1167 Zeta Rear Differential Bush Kit
EP6560 Zeta Front Radius Rod Bush includes 5421 caster washer.

the EP1169 eliminate the serious movement the rear cradle has and are a pretty easy DIY project. I have posted a procedure for everyone up on the forums to evaluate

The EP1167 seriously stabilizes the rear differential and helps transfer torque much easier. Does require pressing out and has a couple ofr challenges due to the rubber being so soft, and the outer jacket being aluminum.

The EP6560 is a major upgrade. The front OEM radius rod is not as bad as the OEM GTO unit, but it is still fluid filled and still allows lots of caster/toe changes. Plus it includes caster shims to increase caster approx 1.25 degrees, which is a really big deal.

thanks
mike
dms

while I agree with you this is supposed to be an unbiased thread towards a particular brand...just suspension questions.

Mike@snl[OLD]
01-07-2009, 03:15 PM
Mike, you should also mention the rear cradle mount inserts as well.

thanks
mike
dms

while that is a great mod for the car I do not believe it will help in wheel hop at all.

dv327
01-07-2009, 06:40 PM
Would adding aftermarket sway bars help the body roll and improve handling? If so, by how much in percent? 50%?? 40%?? 30%??

dms
01-07-2009, 07:25 PM
while that is a great mod for the car I do not believe it will help in wheel hop at all.

Mike,

upgrading the cradle mount inserts and diff mount does in fact help out on the wheel hop.

The sway bars will reduce body role on a fully pedderized G8 approx 25%. Not sure what it will do on a OEM suspension.

mike
dms

dms
01-07-2009, 09:19 PM
while I agree with you this is supposed to be an unbiased thread towards a particular brand...just suspension questions.

Sorry, I changed the post.

mike

Mr. Sandog
01-07-2009, 11:07 PM
Why does this not surprise me. Even though I'm on a different board, this feels very familiar, just like it did when I lost my best friend to Amway.

-Ray-
01-08-2009, 03:30 AM
Why does this not surprise me. Even though I'm on a different board, this feels very familiar, just like it did when I lost my best friend to Amway.

Out of 3 of your posts, 2 were negative. Why doesn't this surprise me?

Saginaw748
01-08-2009, 05:41 AM
I just want to thank Mike for the answer to the question. It confirmed my suspicion about going without struts/shocks when lowering.

So many options....I'm going to need a second job to support this habbit!

This was a grrrr8 thread idea!

Mike@snl[OLD]
01-08-2009, 08:07 AM
I just want to thank Mike for the answer to the question. It confirmed my suspicion about going without struts/shocks when lowering.

So many options....I'm going to need a second job to support this habbit!

This was a grrrr8 thread idea!

I know that feeling all too well. Going mod crazy costs a lot of money for sure.
But as I always say, "gotta pay to play."

MtbDoc
01-09-2009, 01:18 PM
I am going to do the Street I bushing kit and throw in swaybars at the same time. It should be interesting to see what the difference feels like. I really like more roll stiffness than this car has stock.

Then it will be fun when the coilovers get here...hoping they help the GTO as well!

dv327
01-09-2009, 03:39 PM
Mtb Doc, please post your impressions after you do the Street I and sway bars. I am very interested in your opinion. I am considering the same set up. TIA, Dave.

Mike@snl[OLD]
01-12-2009, 08:31 AM
Mtb Doc, please post your impressions after you do the Street I and sway bars. I am very interested in your opinion. I am considering the same set up. TIA, Dave.

and don't forget the pictures!