PDA

View Full Version : ESP self-cycling!

conipc
01-07-2009, 07:14 AM
Anybody have the ESP cycle itself randomly off and on, with a warning chime and notification? If so, any clues to fix?

GRRRR8
01-07-2009, 07:18 AM
It seems that these cars are having brake light switch issues that are causing this. Mine does the same thing and when it does the brake lights are on. The switch is adjusted like a TPS from the info I can find. I did order a switch just incase, just havent had any time to adjust/replace it yet. Mine usually comes on after driving over 50mph for 1 -2 minutes.

J Wikoff
01-07-2009, 07:52 AM
I could see my brake lights reflecting on a car behind me the other night, when I didn't have my foot on the brakes (moving slow through a "light parade" christmas float display), but no ESP warnings. I tapped the brakes and the lights went off.

GRRRR8
01-07-2009, 08:17 AM
I could see my brake lights reflecting on a car behind me the other night, when I didn't have my foot on the brakes (moving slow through a "light parade" christmas float display), but no ESP warnings. I tapped the brakes and the lights went off.

Your switch just needs a slight adjustment.

conipc
01-07-2009, 08:46 AM
How to adjust? I looked at the switch and couldn't figure out an adjustment. It looks like the arm (white plastic) is attached at the pivot in a way that doesn't allow adjustment....

Need4spd
01-07-2009, 09:01 AM
There is a TSB posted over at the NHTSA web site, which lists brief comments as follows (it is listed 3 times, for abs, esp, and brake lights with the same fix):

Make : PONTIAC Model : G8 Year : 2008
Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP.
Service Bulletin Number : 08-05-22-005 Date of Bulletin : AUG 01, 2008
NHTSA Item Number : 10026626
Component : EXTERIOR LIGHTING:BRAKE LIGHTS
Summary :
PONTIAC: DIAGNOSIS: BRAKE LIGHTS STAY ON, CRUISE CONTROL INOPERATIVE, STABILITY CONTROL OFF MESSAGE DISPLAYED IN DIC, DTC C0161 SET-PERFORM BRAKE POSITION SENSOR (PPS) CALIBRATION USING TECH 2. CONDITION MAY BE INTERMITTENT. *PE

You can search here:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/tsbs/

GRRRR8
01-07-2009, 09:07 AM
From the little bit of info I found it looked like a TPS and you loosened and adjusted, but reading the other post before this sounds that that could be the way it is done. I will find out sooner or later.

conipc
01-07-2009, 09:10 AM
Cool, the TSB says "Calibration using Tech 2" which I guess is beyond my capabilities...Once again, this site is THE BEST...

GRRRR8
01-07-2009, 09:12 AM
Yes great info Need4Speed! I will see if I have the latest updates for this.

conipc
01-08-2009, 07:30 AM
I got this from a Malibu site...it sounds right and not a DIY

The brake pedal position sensor (BPPS) receives a low reference signal and a 5-volt reference signal from the BCM. Whenever the brake pedal is applied, the BPPS applies a variable voltage signal to the BCM through the stop lamp switch signal circuit. The BPPS calibration must be performed after the BPPS or body control module (BCM) have been serviced. The calibration procedure will set BPPS home value. This value is used by the BCM to determine the action of the driver applying the brake system and to provide this information to the vehicle subsystems via the class 2 communication bus.

Calibration Procedure

Install a scan tool.
Select Diagnostics.
Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Select the vehicle.
Select Body and Accessories.
Select Lighting Systems.
Select Special Function.
Select BCM.
Select the BPPS calibration procedure and follow the directions displayed on the screen.

conipc
01-10-2009, 07:55 AM
PPS performed, took about 15 minutes.....all symptoms gone :)

Slizzo
01-10-2009, 09:53 PM
This is the exact issue I had shortly after getting my car, I actually have the service slip in my hand here:

"Delivery Date: 5/19/08

R.O. Date : 7/31/08

Customer states traction control warning lamp comes on.
Scanned history code C0161 (Brake Switch)
Checked Circuit & performed BPP Relearn
Reset EBCM per Document ID: 2158876"

This little bit of extra info may help.