PDA

View Full Version : Those who mod heavy, how did you choose your tuner?

Darkside
01-06-2009, 11:56 PM
Curious as to how you guys go about choosing your tuner of choice. Shortly I'll be putting together a H/C package and will look towards a vendor for assistance. To help build a package and ultimately tune the car on a dyno, and hopefully fine tune on the strip.

My driving distance is probably equal between Vector, Livernois, and New Era. You hear mostly good things out of all three, so how did you go about choosing?

p71
01-07-2009, 02:30 AM
those are the three on my shortlist. Leaning towards Livernois for two reasons;

1). They are the only one of the three that I was familiar with before I bought a G8.
2). They have the most active customer service... Andy usually gets back to me with a few hours no matter when I PM me (speaking of which where is my quote?)

My third reason is a wash as like to try to support Michigan or Texas based companies.

-Ray-
01-07-2009, 02:52 AM
1st '05 G6 GT tuned. It was free. Been going back ever since.

MANOFSTEEL69
01-07-2009, 05:12 AM
I use both New Era and Livernois. I spoke with Mike when I first got my car after hearing some things about him from some Vette guys I know and seeing him on the forum. It was a great experiance and well worth the commute. Vector was closer, but some experiances with one of Vectors employees on another site left a bad taste in my mouth, so I decided to try out Livernois so people in the surrounding area would know what they were about. The other site was a little to Vector biased, and I wanted guys to know there were other options. I was not disappointed in the least by the work and knowledge possesed by the people at Livernois. Call different places and talk, the guys that take time out to give you advise and suggestions are where it's at. I do hear great things about Kirk @ Vector so don't rule them out.....I just personally wouldn't use them. It's a shame that one employee can jade you against an entire business.

99-LS1-SS
01-07-2009, 05:32 AM
If I wasn't 8 million miles away from them I would probably go there too. I've heard too many good things about them over the last 8 or so years.

wreckwriter
01-07-2009, 05:40 AM
I chose Vector based on reputation, word of mouth from other G8 owners, and interaction with Kirk and Chris on the forums. Haven't regretted it a bit. I continue to use them and plan to do so in the future.

New Era and Livernois are also great shops with great folks running them. I think you're very lucky; I'd say you have the 3 best G8 shops in the country to choose from.

GRRRR8
01-07-2009, 05:51 AM
We all agree for a change! lol

p71
01-07-2009, 09:02 AM
We ain't discussing math is why charlie...

Chewy
01-07-2009, 09:24 AM
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the previous people. I picked Kirk at Vector for really only 2 reasons.

He does "canned" tunes, and #2 he had someone who knew the transmission pretty damn well so he can reduce torque management which I wanted over eliminating it completely. I may go see Vector this Spring or Summer for a custom tune.

I am by NO MEANS heavily modded though. Mines a daily driver for me.

Just find someone that knows the 6L80E and you'll be good to go!

Chris

GRRRR8
01-07-2009, 09:35 AM
We ain't discussing math is why charlie...

LOL! You made a post the other day about your exhaust and I started to make a crazy equation to mess with you and I thought better of it. lol

GRRRR8
01-07-2009, 10:22 AM
Kirk @ Vector Motorsports will be tuning for my new combo. I chose them in the very begining because of reputation and trans tuning ability also.

Darkside
01-07-2009, 01:13 PM
I used Vector with my TBSS and was very happy. I realize that Chris has irked many of folks over the years with the way he comes across over the net. I've seen it in the GP forums as well as the TBSS community. Both times I went to Vector I dealt with Kirk, and he is a very nice and intelligent guy that knows his shit.

I've heard good things coming out of Livernois, but again had some bad press early on in my TBSS days.

New Era is completely new to me that I haven't heard anything about.

Tune Time would definately be an option if they were closer, as Matt has always been helpful.

GeorgeInNePa
01-07-2009, 03:20 PM
I chose Vector because of the TCM tune (in the beginning they were one of the few who could tune the TCM) and the FXP system which allows a tune to be done remotely.

Kirk@VectorMotorsports
01-07-2009, 05:38 PM
I do hear great things about Kirk @ Vector so don't rule them out.....I just personally wouldn't use them. It's a shame that one employee can jade you against an entire business.

He has not been an employee since Fall of 2008. Sometimes things happen that you are not aware of. It is very difficult to micro-manage a company when you are caught up in the day to day issues and development it demands.

jetttstream
01-10-2009, 06:38 AM
Both times I went to Vector I dealt with Kirk, and he is a very nice and intelligent guy that knows his shit.

I too have dealt with Kirk in the past and he has always came through. A great guy to do business with.

-Mike

Darkside
01-10-2009, 02:20 PM
Once I get my exhaust work done, I'll be dealing with Kirk at Vector.