PDA

View Full Version : Initial Tuning underway...

vipz28
01-06-2009, 07:18 PM
Always remember to set your shift points BELOW your fuel cutoff, not 100RPM above :wacko::wacko:

hehe After realizing my typo in the rev limiter, she spins through the 1-2 shift and chirps on the 2-3 shift :woohoo:

I've also upped timing and I'm going through some MAF tuning, and been playing with the DoD to get it to come on easier and stay on more... WHEEEE playing with things is fun.

g8_795
01-06-2009, 07:27 PM
Always remember to set your shift points BELOW your fuel cutoff, not 100RPM above :wacko::wacko:

hehe After realizing my typo in the rev limiter, she spins through the 1-2 shift and chirps on the 2-3 shift :woohoo:

I've also upped timing and I'm going through some MAF tuning, and been playing with the DoD to get it to come on easier and stay on more... WHEEEE playing with things is fun.

You install a WB yet? It is some fun stuff isn't?

vipz28
01-06-2009, 07:32 PM
You install a WB yet? It is some fun stuff isn't?

No that will wait for headers....

I've got experience tuning LS1 Camaros, but they were all standards, which is why I must give a big thanks to JohnH for allowing me to peak at his tune for some guidance on tuning the transmission items.

Robert@KBXPerformance
01-06-2009, 09:01 PM
I assume you were logging your WOT AFR's on a dyno then?

vipz28
01-07-2009, 06:05 AM
I assume you were logging your WOT AFR's on a dyno then?Negative. Just plotting the MAF vs. LTFT for now, I know it's not perfect, but the WB will have to wait for my bonus at the end of feb when I get purchase headers.

Robert@KBXPerformance
01-07-2009, 08:44 AM
Negative. Just plotting the MAF vs. LTFT for now, I know it's not perfect, but the WB will have to wait for my bonus at the end of feb when I get purchase headers.

The "MAF tuning" is for the open loop WOT tuning of the vehicle. The only real way to calibrate that is with a separate wideband AFR meter. The STFT's and LTFT's have to do with closed loop fueling (feedback from the O2's) which is idle, part throttle, and cruising fuel. Both are recalibrated in the MAF transfer table but there is a big difference between the two and what method is used to tune them.

If I were you I wouldn't play with the WOT fueling or spark until you have a wideband on there and have some way to log WOT AFR's so that you can properly recalibrate them. Otherwise you are just flying blind with the fueling which in turn makes you sort of fly blind with the spark too. At this point in time it would be a bit of a waste of time. You can still take care of closed loop fueling driveability and transmission shifting though. Honestly the closed loop and driveability tuning takes much more time than the WOT stuff anyway.

vipz28
01-08-2009, 06:55 AM
The "MAF tuning" is for the open loop WOT tuning of the vehicle. The only real way to calibrate that is with a separate wideband AFR meter. The STFT's and LTFT's have to do with closed loop fueling (feedback from the O2's) which is idle, part throttle, and cruising fuel. Both are recalibrated in the MAF transfer table but there is a big difference between the two and what method is used to tune them.

If I were you I wouldn't play with the WOT fueling or spark until you have a wideband on there and have some way to log WOT AFR's so that you can properly recalibrate them. Otherwise you are just flying blind with the fueling which in turn makes you sort of fly blind with the spark too. At this point in time it would be a bit of a waste of time. You can still take care of closed loop fueling driveability and transmission shifting though. Honestly the closed loop and driveability tuning takes much more time than the WOT stuff anyway.

That's what I've been working on. With no wideband, WOT tuning will wait, and it doesn't really matter because it will all have to be done again when the intake and headers go on, so for now I'm just playing. The biggest thing that I've done for WOT "improvements" is the transmission tuning, which has made a world of difference.

Robert@KBXPerformance
01-08-2009, 08:08 AM
That's what I've been working on. With no wideband, WOT tuning will wait, and it doesn't really matter because it will all have to be done again when the intake and headers go on, so for now I'm just playing. The biggest thing that I've done for WOT "improvements" is the transmission tuning, which has made a world of difference.

That's good. It is not a bad idea to test different things to get familiar with the software. I just didn't want you to have the wrong expectations of what you can properly do with the tuning software before having a wideband. Sounds like you are locked on though so no worries here. Happy tuning!

johnh
01-08-2009, 08:52 AM
big thanks to JohnH

You're welcome. Anything to make all of us go faster....