PDA

View Full Version : ARH Install Questions

Steve
01-06-2009, 11:50 AM
Hey guys,

So i have my ARHs ready to install - few questions:

a) I vaguely remember reading 'somewhere' to not use the supplied gaskets? (could be remembering wrong)

b) Also I remember something about the dipstick being tricky?

c) If I ever want to run a wideband sensor i'm guessing they'll have to add a bung for that (roughly same location in the collector as where ARH already has one - which i'm assuming is for the normal O2 sensor? - hey it's my first custom exhaust - i'm a N00b! haha)

d) Any other tips/tricks i should let the shop know about? or do the provided instructions basically cover it?

Thanks

GRRRR8
01-06-2009, 11:59 AM
The instuctions should be more then enough. Use the ARH gaskets. Slide the dipstick in before the header bolts are put in.

-Ray-
01-06-2009, 12:21 PM
Don't tighten the header bolts until you like how the mid pipe hangs. You can gain a few degrees of clearance by lifting it and then tightening the header bolts.

Mike@NewEra
01-06-2009, 01:54 PM
I like to reuse the stock GM gaskets personally.

roSSco
01-06-2009, 02:16 PM
I like to reuse the stock GM gaskets personally.

+1

lsp408
01-06-2009, 02:24 PM
+1

+2

g8_795
01-06-2009, 03:11 PM
I originally used the stock manifold gasket but when I removed my headers Saturday, I noticed that I had carbon buildup beyond the gasket. It was leaking in two spots. This time around, I used the ARH gasket with a very thin amount of high temp sealer. I think I like this approach better, but only time will tell.

Have a shop weld in an extra bung if ARH did not do this already for you. They will if you ask. You will regret it later if you don't. Kurry's Automotive in Gainesville didn't even charge me to install the extra bung that I supplied.

I got my torque settings from the GTO manual. 11 lbs for the spark plugs. 11 then 18 lbs for the manifold. On my first install I was closer to 25-30 lbs TQ on the manifold.

Hope this helps.
-Robert

G8GTlawride
01-06-2009, 06:22 PM
Hey guys,

So i have my ARHs ready to install - few questions:

a) I vaguely remember reading 'somewhere' to not use the supplied gaskets? (could be remembering wrong)

b) Also I remember something about the dipstick being tricky?

c) If I ever want to run a wideband sensor i'm guessing they'll have to add a bung for that (roughly same location in the collector as where ARH already has one - which i'm assuming is for the normal O2 sensor? - hey it's my first custom exhaust - i'm a N00b! haha)

d) Any other tips/tricks i should let the shop know about? or do the provided instructions basically cover it?

Thanks

Follow the directions to the letter. On the dipstick, I did not remove it completely, just pulled it out. Don't tighten anything up until you are satisified with the fit, then start snugging everything up.

BTW, your gonna like em!