PDA

View Full Version : GM doing fine at retaining Pontiac owners

LDM
10-28-2011, 05:58 AM
From Autoblog: http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/28/gm-doing-fine-at-retaining-pontiac-owners/. I saw a G8 grill so the article caught my attention.

This isn't the first time we've reported positive news about General Motors retaining former Pontiac owners. Get a few more stories like this latest report from Edmund's Auto Observer, and it will mark an ongoing positive trend for GM. Edmunds.com crunched the numbers to see how well the General is hanging on to customers after shutting out the lights at Pontiac, and it found that nearly 40 percent of Pontiac owners stayed with a vehicle from a General Motors brand.

The numbers are a little lower than an earlier R.L. Polk & Company study, but Edmunds says General Motors is keeping more former Pontiac buyers than it has since 2007. Most are turning to vehicles from Chevrolet, especially during January and February of 2011, when GM incentivized Pontiac owners to stay under the umbrella. Those moves seem to have worked, and 28.1 percent of Pontiac owners trading up made the jump into a Bowtie.

Buyers that have gone elsewhere have largely stayed loyal to Domestic automakers, with Ford picking up the most conquests from Pontiac, with 9.4 percent switching. Toyota and Honda picked up 7.4 percent of the pool of former Pontiac drivers. The numbers are defying any predictions that Pontiac buyers would completely exit the General Motors fold, and have climbed up closer to parity with the retention figures of other GM brands from a 2009 low of only 16 percent retention.

Apparently most converts are now going with Ford. Must be all you guys switching to the 5.0 Mustangs.

Eidolon
10-28-2011, 06:47 AM
Somehow a 40 percent retention rate seems low... Then again, given the average numbers they discuss, maybe consumers are just depressingly fickle and change car brands like underwear.

SRG963
10-28-2011, 06:57 AM
Not me! You drop Pontiac, I drop you.

I just leased a Ford :)

wreckwriter
10-28-2011, 08:35 AM
GM keeps sending me letters trying to get me to buy a Buick. Cold day in hell.

hartigan85
10-28-2011, 09:40 AM

Yep I get the same letters and they have the nerve to say the new Regal GS FWD POS is comparable to the G8. Maybe if I was 80 years old...on second thought fuck that. lol

bjhayes
10-28-2011, 09:41 AM
Yeah... I get those mailings too where they are marketing the Buick's. I just figured they had me confused with my Dad... :uhm: Cause I know they don't mean me...

bjhayes
10-28-2011, 09:43 AM
.....Apparently most converts are now going with Ford. Must be all you guys switching to the 5.0 Mustangs.

I have to say Ford has some nice rides. If I were shopping now I would be hard pressed not to get the 5.0 Mustang. I don't see much of anything at GM right now that makes me go.. Hmmm.. that would be cool.

Eidolon
10-28-2011, 09:55 AM

Yep I get the same letters and they have the nerve to say the new Regal GS FWD POS is comparable to the G8. Maybe if I was 80 years old...on second thought fuck that. lol
+1 on both counts.

I think it's an artifact of two very dumb things inside GM.

Pontiac was part of the Pontiac-Buick-GMC division. So when Pontiac got axed, the division was left trying to sell Buick or GMC vehicles to former Pontiac customers to try to keep their business within the fold. Why those three are grouped together so very separately from Cadillac and Chevrolet, I have no clue. So long as I buy another GM next, it shouldn't matter which actual brand it's from. You've got my information, so spread it around and tailor your marketing to ME! It's almost like they think that only a specific kind of person buys G8's. Which brings us to my second point...
They think that only a specific kind of person buys G8's. You guys remember the goofy marketing literature that someone at GM dreamt up, about the ideal G8 buyer? It was some guy in his 40's, with family obligations, who didn't like being cast in the same mold as everyone else, wanted a fun car, and appreciated value! Now despite the fluffy rainbow terms in which it was couched, I'm sure there are quite a few owners on this board that meet that exact description. The trick is that the G8 also had a much broader appeal. I'm not even 30 yet. We also have owners that are over 60. Their target buyer wasn't the exception, but he definitely wasn't the norm. So they need to stop using that old marketing reference point as their starting point for how to get me and everyone else into another GM car. I'm not interested in a car for which the fluffy marketing language would contain the words "50's", "kids", and "college".

LDM
10-28-2011, 10:18 AM
Fortunately I don't get the letters trying to get me to buy a Buick, only the ones trying to get me to bring my car in for service. The only new GM cars I would consider getting though would be a Camaro, Corvette, or CTS-V. It's not a coincidence either that my list has only the RWD, V-8 powered cars that GM offers. I agree with the points Kevin made as well. With a car as great as the G8, GM could have done a lot better job of marketing it. And thinking that any Buick could replace it is just crazy. I have no intentions of getting rid of this car anytime soon because there's nothing out there to replace it.

PaFromFL
10-28-2011, 08:13 PM
... I have no intentions of getting rid of this car anytime soon because there's nothing out there to replace it.
My thoughts exactly. The trend toward smaller engine displacements is logical, but the sound and torque curve of a 6.0 L V8 is just more entertaining. And it is hard to find a large sedan that handles as well as a G8 without spending twice as much.

schwinn
10-28-2011, 08:30 PM
A lot of the former Pontiac family car owners I know went Nissan

Crazy8
10-29-2011, 04:10 AM
Fortunately I don't get the letters trying to get me to buy a Buick, only the ones trying to get me to bring my car in for service. The only new GM cars I would consider getting though would be a Camaro, Corvette, or CTS-V. It's not a coincidence either that my list has only the RWD, V-8 powered cars that GM offers. I agree with the points Kevin made as well. With a car as great as the G8, GM could have done a lot better job of marketing it. And thinking that any Buick could replace it is just crazy. I have no intentions of getting rid of this car anytime soon because there's nothing out there to replace it.

+1. My sentiments exactly.

Crazy8
10-29-2011, 04:12 AM

My DD is a Nissan Altima 3.5SE. It is a great car, fast enough and bullet proof. It has 67,000 miles in it and has never had 1 single problem, not even a rattle, which I get from my sunroof time to time in the G8.

Malefic
10-29-2011, 06:29 AM
The G8 is my 2nd car- just got it this summer. My first car being a Grand Prix GT 04. I got no idea what my next car will be maybe 6 yrs. from now. Neither Buick or Cadillac seem to fit the Pontiac void. I really don't like the Camaro appearance, the G8 looks so much more aggressive looking to me. Only other car I'd get at this point is a vette, but just seems everyone has one. It's nice being the only G8 in a car show, it really stands out.

bowtiefan
10-29-2011, 07:23 PM
I get the same Buick letters trying to sway me to a Regal. I'm sure they're nice cars, but they just don't compare to the G8s and I wouldn't consider it as a replacement for mine. Too bad GM didn't resurrect the G8 GT/GXP as a Buick GN/GNX. It would have been an easy switch to do and it would have kept a moderately priced rwd sedan in the stable to be competitive with Taurus Sho and Chrysler 300/Dodge Charger. I think they missed the boat along with creating ill-will with a lot of folks.

PaFromFL
10-29-2011, 07:38 PM
I used to think of Nissan as a Japanese Pontiac until they forced the CVT on us. Nissan and Honda were great choices back in 2000, but they have been steadily losing ground to the competition since then. I've owned three Sentras (2002, 2003, 2005), but I had no qualms about trading in my daughter's 2005 Sentra on a 2008 Saturn Astra. My son still drives the 2001 I30t I passed along to him (and my wife drives a 2009 Honda Odyssey that we hope will last 15 years).

Chooch
12-06-2011, 11:45 AM
If Buick Builds the Regal GS with AWD, Twin Turbo V-6 and pushed min 350 HP, and offer either Manual or a paddle shifter 6 to 8 speed tranny, I would think of it to buy in addition to my G8GT now. But as is, I have yet to find any 4 door Family sedan with the power , handling, and space for under 30G price point since 2008 or now. PMD only imported 38thousand and change over for Aussieland so add to the fact, they are a rare car.

-Ray-
12-06-2011, 04:39 PM
I bought a 1st 888 G8, because it was rear wheel drive, had great looks and to my surprise good gas mileage. I drove the crap out it for 6 months, until Winter hit and I had summer only's on the car. One attempted stop in the sleet and I knew I had to drive something else. I bought a 2000 Silverado to beat up during the Winters. When they killed Pontiac, it became my DD. I realized that $.51 didn't go as far in the Silverado. I was excited when I got 20.5 mpg during one tank.
So...last December I wanted something that would get great mileage. I bought a '11 Ford Fiesta. So far I have saved over 600 gallons of gas by driving that for work.
My wife's 07 Ford Escape stated needing more maintenance. I decided to replace it with a '12 Equinox. Wife loves that car.
I grew up in a Ford dealership family. I still like the Ford brand, but the GM cars we seem to like the best. Since I do some work for Ford manufacturing it helps to own one. Get to park my closer to the plant entrance. :)

XplicitPerformance
12-07-2011, 02:42 PM
If we get rid of the G8 we are going Cadillac. CTS-V wagon!

PaFromFL
12-07-2011, 07:31 PM
The CTS-V wagon sounded good to me until I read
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/oneyear/wagons/1111_2011_cadillac_cts_v_wagon_update_1/
Rather than spend $70,000 on a car with typical GM quality and comfort, I'd spend another $15,000 for a BMW M5. Better yet, I'll just keep my G8.

Purf
12-08-2011, 09:06 AM
If we get rid of the G8 we are going Cadillac. CTS-V wagon!

CTS-V Wagon is the ultimate "sleeper."

Panzer Leader
12-08-2011, 05:18 PM
While at the Dealership today (Safety Recall) the sales manager was pushing me toward the Regal. He pointed out the turbo 4. I told him I might consider it, if it got the 6 cylinder, with 6 spd MT, twin turbo and AWD. Damn I hate to get people sad during the holidays.

Birdman330
12-11-2011, 09:30 PM
Got a letter in the mail from the Dealer wanting to buy the G8 back for more than what we bought it for so we could trade it in on a new Chevy of our choice. I started laughing I haven't had it for a year and the buy back attempts have started.

MongosG8
12-11-2011, 10:17 PM
I received an e mail asking the same thing..they wanted to buy back my Pontiac so I can go into a GMC Caddy or Buick.
I replied sorry this will be my last GM product. Not going to spend 35k on a POS Regal. or 70K on a CTS-V etc etc. I would like a CTS-V but I'm not a person that will spend big money on cars that depreciate so fast.

Slizzo
12-14-2011, 12:25 PM
I received an e mail asking the same thing..they wanted to buy back my Pontiac so I can go into a GMC Caddy or Buick.
I replied sorry this will be my last GM product. Not going to spend 35k on a POS Regal. or 70K on a CTS-V etc etc. I would like a CTS-V but I'm not a person that will spend big money on cars that depreciate so fast.

This is why I hope to get one cheap down the road here. Could care less if I bought one used. I want a badass swagger wagon, and to me at least, the CTS-V Wagon fits that bill.

MIEngineer
12-14-2011, 02:11 PM
Since I work for GM [and obviously none of my comments represent GM at all, just my personal taste] I wouldn't mind a GS to be honest, but as a secondary toy G8.

If there is any car I'm replacing the G8 with, it will be a CTS-V or ZL1.

I wouldn't mind a Vette, but I'd rather have a factory blower @ <$100k and a ZR1 is not anywhere near being in my books for the rest of my life. Haha.

MongosG8
12-14-2011, 08:19 PM
This is why I hope to get one cheap down the road here. Could care less if I bought one used. I want a badass swagger wagon, and to me at least, the CTS-V Wagon fits that bill.

Slizzo.. I agree. Thats the only way I can see me getting into one also. They are hard to find used that's for sure.

The reason I feel this way about the Regal was sticker shock.. Couldn't believe it was almost 39k for a GS. Come on already..There is so much more in that price range.

pha|anx
12-15-2011, 08:48 AM
my next vehicle will most likely be a Ford.

dandragonrage
12-20-2011, 08:46 AM
This is my last GM, that's for sure. Next car? Probably back to Audi for an A6 or S6 4.2 Quattro. A combination of me not having a dealer that I can trust to not screw me over, and the fact that the only other GM car that I respect - the CTS - is also one of the ugliest cars on the road, in my opinion. Also, this is my last daily driver 2WD car, and I have no interest in the terrible front-biased AWD systems that American car manufacturers use. In my opinion, proper AWD that is good for both performance and the crappy weather in my area is between 40/60 and 25/75 nominal torque split (F/R) with a Torsen or better (WaveTrac) center (and preferably rear) diff. RWD is fine for most track use, but pulling out into traffic on a fast road with no traffic light is hell whenever it's wet out or when I have my winter tires on (as they are much, much worse in the dry than my summers). I don't think it's good for daily driving.

The only division of GM that seems to care about the driving enthusiast is Cadillac, and again, I think they are hideous.

locrzn#92
12-27-2011, 03:27 AM
I only buy GM, I just bought a new 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 and love it. Got 2k for being a loyal customer, 2k for my gm card, 5k for other incentitives and dealer took off 2k, so my 38k truck ended up being 28k. A used 2009 with 30k miles was 27,500. I just can't switch brands, I know the brand, I've raced the brand. Its just not me, I don't blame anyone else for changing if thats what they want to do. I still think the LS motors are the best out there and yes I was pissed at GM for dumping Pontiac and I paid full sticker for my #92 g8. If you look at past resale on trucks especially you'll find that GM has the best resale of any in that category. I've owned around 70 cars and trucks, I did stray away back in the 80's, no one built cars/truck worth a shit, but I thought GM lost there way. I have a great dealer relationship, great sales guy I've been dealing with for years, one of the best service managers around. So, I'm staying and keeping my fingers crossed GM continues to make better decisions in the future. To those who switch, good luck with your new brand. You'll be back. LOL

locrzn#92
12-27-2011, 03:35 AM
Did someone mention CTS-V wagon, bitchin bad ass to the bone. Just can't handle the price, maybe used someday.

-Ray-
12-27-2011, 03:40 AM
Since Pontiac was axed I've bought a 2011 Ford, and a 2012 Chevy.

locrzn#92
12-27-2011, 03:52 AM
I drove one of our customers 2010 Ford Harley Davidson crew cabs. It was a nice truck for sure, I almost bought a 2008 GMC Denalli with the 6.2 Max. It was just too high priced for the miles. What a truck, leather was bitchin for 70,000 miles, looked brand new and rich looking. Same price as my new truck when everthing was said and done. If I want leather I can change mine out for about 1200 bucks at a place in st louis. Dealer has a company they deal with that sell Cat skins, I think thats what they are called. You take your truck in there drop it off and 3 hours later they've stretched on the new skins and your ready to go. My dealer will even have one of their drivers take it there and wait for 150 bucks extra. Not bad and I may do that someday as I don't plan on selling this truck for a long time.

Seattle09GT
03-25-2012, 11:31 AM
I would never trade my G8 GT for one, but I did just rent a 2012 Buick LaCrosse with the Luxury I package and the 3.6L V6 under the hood. It was a damn nice ride for $33K sticker, about $29K dealer street price. For $29K - well worth it. I would consider one with the eassist as my second car in a few years.

msb7144
03-26-2012, 08:21 PM
I dont know where I will go for my next car.....surley not a Buick, Chevy dont have much that excites me and the ONLY 2 Fords I would ever buy is either a Roush or Saleen, thats it. My last 3 cars were Pontiac's......'04 GTO, '04 Bonneville GXP and (currently) '09 G8 GT. Not to mention my very 1st car was a '71 LeMans, thanks GM for dropping my 2 fav lines......Olds and Pontiac. You dipshits!

grandprixrollsout
03-27-2012, 06:19 PM
Only GM I would buy is a ctsv or better. But realistically next car will be a Ford. I've owned 3 Pontiac over the past 12 years.... No Pontiac = no business for GM.

third_shift|studios
04-10-2012, 04:09 AM
Somehow a 40 percent retention rate seems low... Then again, given the average numbers they discuss, maybe consumers are just depressingly fickle and change car brands like underwear.

psh...who changes their underwear?

DMVG8
04-10-2012, 05:55 AM
No Pontiac means a big hole in GMs lineup in my mind, I feel like there is a pretty big gulf between Chevy and caddy, I hope the new Zeta has a more Holden interior than Chevy.

Jackalope
04-10-2012, 07:40 AM
Not this one! God forbid anything happen to my G8 if I can't find another one in damn good shape I'm moving to Ford and a new 5.0 and change my garage into a stable. ;)