PDA

View Full Version : Front end suspension noise

rlafash
10-28-2011, 05:16 AM
My 2008 G8, GT, 28,000 miles, has begun to present front end suspension noise. I've read some posts regarding this issue. The three (3) year warranty expired in September. Has GM addressed this issue in any way that might entitle me to repair under what use to be called a "hidden warranty"? Is there any known safety hazzard associated with these problems? I've not yet approached the dealer.

shakermikee
10-28-2011, 05:33 AM
Is it a knocking noise over small bumps, manhole covers etc?

Mine had this and is also out of the 3 year warranty. The previous owner got one side done under warranty and now I own it the other side started.

I was told it is was the lower arm/ball joint and paid to have this replaced. Knocking still persists and been diagnosed as the upper arm also needs doing - not 'til I can afford it. Been advised it shouldn't cause any major problems until I get it fixed other than the knocking noise will get louder.

I'm UK based and they wouldn't do anything with it as I'm nearly 12 months out of warranty, they said if I was the original owner and it was only just out of warranty they could of done something.

Eidolon
10-28-2011, 06:41 AM
My 2008 G8, GT, 28,000 miles, has begun to present front end suspension noise. I've read some posts regarding this issue. The three (3) year warranty expired in September. Has GM addressed this issue in any way that might entitle me to repair under what use to be called a "hidden warranty"? Is there any known safety hazzard associated with these problems? I've not yet approached the dealer.

There are a few technical service bulletins out there. Check the TSB Section (http://forum.grrrr8.net/search.php?searchid=1335253) of this forum to see if you can find a match. The Lower Control Arms can present a safety issue, since the noise can be caused by degradation of the ball joint. But make sure that the issue is your ball joints before you go and replace your arms. Can you better describe the situations in which the noise occurs?

If you are able to confirm that it's the lower control arms and your dealer won't replace them, grab a wrench-savvy friend and order a set of new arms from Greg@WasSlow (http://wasslow.com/92249538-G8FrontControlArmKit.aspx).

I was told it is was the lower arm/ball joint and paid to have this replaced. Knocking still persists and been diagnosed as the upper arm also needs doing - not 'til I can afford it. Been advised it shouldn't cause any major problems until I get it fixed other than the knocking noise will get louder.
Can you clarify what you mean by upper arm? In the G8/VXR8/Commodore's front suspension, there are two lower control arms on each side. So if they replaced one of those and the noise persists, they may mean that the arm closer to the front of the car needs replacing, too. But since the front suspension uses a McPherson strut design, instead of an upper control arm, the shock itself is used, such that there is no true upper arm (a move made for cost reasons, sadly; having a true upper arm is better). It's possible your strut mount is going bad, which could cause noise whenever you go over a bump or inclined turn that heavily unloads your suspension.

shakermikee
10-28-2011, 08:22 AM
Can you clarify what you mean by upper arm? In the G8/VXR8/Commodore's front suspension, there are two lower control arms on each side. So if they replaced one of those and the noise persists, they may mean that the arm closer to the front of the car needs replacing, too. But since the front suspension uses a McPherson strut design, instead of an upper control arm, the shock itself is used, such that there is no true upper arm (a move made for cost reasons, sadly; having a true upper arm is better). It's possible your strut mount is going bad, which could cause noise whenever you go over a bump or inclined turn that heavily unloads your suspension.

Hi, just checked what I noted down from the phone call and it was 'movement in the upper ball joint' if that makes any sense?
They did a print out of what is required and price but I don't have that with me at the moment.

SRG963
10-28-2011, 08:23 AM
Yup, new arm kit will fix ya right up (2 lca's, 2 rr's). I'd check out the strut mounts as well.

SRG963
10-28-2011, 08:26 AM
Hi, just checked what I noted down from the phone call and it was 'movement in the upper ball joint' if that makes any sense?
They did a print out of what is required and price but I don't have that with me at the moment.

Make sure they order the updated arm kit, and not just a couple arms.

shakermikee
10-31-2011, 08:17 AM
Make sure they order the updated arm kit, and not just a couple arms.

Will do, cheers. :thumbsup:

SRG963
10-31-2011, 08:56 AM
FYI GM P/N 92249538 for the updated arm kit

TopFig1
01-01-2012, 09:46 AM
Took my G8 in for the airbag bulletin and mentioned my LCA's so they ordered the entire front end kit to replace the factory defective stuff. I have 300 miles left on my warranty so I need to get this done.

Fig

Crazy Paul
02-16-2012, 01:23 AM
FYI GM P/N 92249538 for the updated arm kit
FYI that kit contains VE9R (2009.5) arms.....there are VE1 (2011) individual updated,updated arms available now but alas no kit part number for VE1.