PDA

View Full Version : Sunglass Case Buzzing/Vibration

G8Smitty
08-14-2008, 03:31 PM
Ever since I placed my H-Pipe and Axelback in my G8 I have had some strangle rattles and buzzing noises in my interior. The biggest only was coming from the sunglass case. I took it to the dealer 3 times, but were never able to fixed it. The noise it mostly present on the highway when the AFM / DOD is active. It also affected the music I listened to. With the assistance of maxS (g8gt.com Thanks!), I was able to correct the problem. I would like to shared what I did for anyone else that may encounter this as well.

The first thing that must be done is to take down the sunglass case from the headliner. This process is actually quite simple when you know how. First, remove the #20 Torx screw located on the front side of where the sunglasses go. If you look at the picture provided you will see where and the screw has already been removed.

http://www.cdsmith.org/images/Torx.gif

Once you remove the screw, you need to pull down on the front corner of the sunglass case to unclip the case from its bracket. BE CAREFUL HERE! It looks like it would be easy to ruin (separate) the clear plastic shielding over the dome light. I used a flat piece of metal so that I made sure that was way back behind there before pulling. For me, when I pulled it unclipped the entire case immediately. There are clips in the front on both corners, and the back is held on by a couple of plastic pieces. See the picture below.

http://www.cdsmith.org/images/unclipped.gif

After you have removed the case, there are two wires plugged in. One is the OnStar microphone, the other it the interface to the dome light. You do not have to disconnect these to fix the rattle. My OnStar microphone was not seated properly. It was actually hovering in space below the roof. This is probably why no one could hear me very well from the integrated phone.

There is a plastic bracket that hold the case in place. It is held in by a system that allows the case to move a little. This is probably so that movement of the car is not transferred to the headliner. The problem in my situation is that it does not provide much support in the back of the bracket. Because if that, the contact point between the plastic bracket and the headliner would vibrate and create the buzz or rattle (the top of the headliner in that place is a hard cardboard or wood substance). To fix the vibration/rattle/buzzing, I cut a piece of foam to fill the void above the bracket. This created a little more stability. The picture below shows a before and after picture on the foam.

http://www.cdsmith.org/images/original.gif

http://www.cdsmith.org/images/complete.gif

The work shown in the after picture does not necessarily reflect what had to be done to finally correct the problem. The final correction was the foam on top as shown in the photo, but I also had to place a small strip of foam between the rear portion of the bracket and the top of the headliner. Once that was done and the case was put back in, the problem disappeared.

G8Smitty
08-14-2008, 03:33 PM
Sorry I screwed up the title. I was having problems getting the pictures to work and got a little to cut and paste happy.

Steve
08-14-2008, 03:56 PM
No worries - all fixed http://forum.grrrr8.net/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

wreckwriter
08-14-2008, 04:07 PM
Very nice tutorial!

-Ray-
08-14-2008, 06:22 PM
Great job chris!

G8Smitty
08-14-2008, 06:35 PM
Thank you!

I hope that the fix lasts. It is really a bummer. I talked to guy locally and he said he had the problem, but I haven't heard of anyone else complain about it.

I have a couple of other rattles that occur from time to time, but they are hard to spot. One sounds like it is near the windshield and the other sounds like it is in the back somewhere. Always happens when it is in 4 cylinder mode. I think I'm going to go with HP Tuners so I can turn it off.

GRRRR8
08-14-2008, 08:32 PM
GRRRR8 Job! I am glad that is taken care of for you. I fix so many squeaks and rattles weekly that I know it can suck making them go away.

GT-610
08-15-2008, 07:22 PM
when the bass in my car is crankin',its the first thing to buzz!

soon it will be no more!

BlownG8GT
03-14-2009, 08:28 PM
I did this today when I was installing the Radar Detector.....Buzz is all gone! Thanks@!!

BigRob
03-14-2009, 09:46 PM
I did this today when I was installing the Radar Detector.....Buzz is all gone! Thanks@!!

Man, you got a lot done today! Must have been bored!

BlownG8GT
03-15-2009, 12:50 PM
Man, you got a lot done today! Must have been bored!

I was bored....this was the BEST mod today believe it or not. That buzz was driving me apeshit!

Jaysin
05-01-2009, 05:37 AM
What happened to the pics? Where the hell is the sunglass case? Help a brotha out!!!

Thanks. :)

SRG963
05-01-2009, 05:47 AM
What happened to the pics? Where the hell is the sunglass case? Help a brotha out!!!

Thanks. :)

If you have a sunroof, you don't have a sunglass case :(

I still had the problem, so I cut a piece of foam and placed in inside the headliner and that stopped the rattle/buzzing noises.

learjet60
05-26-2009, 11:21 AM
I have a sunglass glass case in my '09 with a sunroof, albiet an unofficial one. I put mine in the area that the Atari guages were on the 08's. I haven't found any other useful purpose for that cutout and my sunglasses fit great there.