PDA

View Full Version : Anybody running just Magnaflow axlebacks?

Eric_GT
01-05-2009, 06:22 PM
I like the looks of the Magnaflow stainless axleback mufflers.
Is anybody running JUST this?
I am sure interior volume will be acceptable, but what do i get on the outside?

R.Penguin
01-05-2009, 08:31 PM
Try this thread.

http://www.forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=1950&highlight=Magnaflow+axlebacks

I thought there were some drone issues, can't remember.

I'm running 18" cherry bomb type glasspaks as axlebacks. They are fairly loud, but very low rumble with NO drone.

Please don't ask for a sound file or vid. I just don't have anything to capture the sound properly & previous attempts have resulted in huge piles of excrement being offloaded on me on "that other forum". I know it wouldn't happen here, but some dogs shit on you just for the fun of it. :p

Eric_GT
01-05-2009, 09:14 PM
Thanks, but I am doing just axle backs, not cat backs.
Yes, I have heard of droning concerns even with the street system.

-Ray-
01-06-2009, 03:46 AM

I had Magnaflow axle backs welded up by a friend of mine. I did have a fair bit of drone, but with only me in the car it wasn't an issue. I liked the sound, but it was when I added the American Racing headers that the Magnaflow's woke up.
I eventually bought a set of stock mufflers and replaced the Magnaflows.
I'm going to weld them back up here shortly. I also have a set of Corsa Red dB mufflers arriving.

Eric_GT
01-06-2009, 05:32 AM
I thought axlebacks were the mildest of mild upgrades. ????
Most people appear to go with cat back and a lot say drone is not that bad. Yet, that would be an even more aggressive upgrade than what I have chosen. ????confused

99-LS1-SS
01-06-2009, 05:49 AM
Eric,

Check this thread out. From what I understand, Paul can tell you for sure, that this system doesn't have much drone since it still incorporates a third muffler but it sounds good.

http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=2124&highlight=exhaust

-Ray-
01-06-2009, 12:26 PM
I thought axlebacks were the mildest of mild upgrades. ????
Most people appear to go with cat back and a lot say drone is not that bad. Yet, that would be an even more aggressive upgrade than what I have chosen. ????confused

Axle backs are just the rear muffler. If you have the stock exhaust system, it is the least expensive bang for your buck. You'll get a nice sound from your exhaust. You won't pick much additional HP.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t16/ElecBlueG6GT/G8/G8%20exhaust/G8Magnaflows.jpg

Chewy
01-06-2009, 01:22 PM
If you keep your stock main pipes with the resonators drone won't be bad. Ray removed all his resonators and that's when the drone became bad for him.

ANYTIME you increase exhaust noise drone will increase. Especially in a car like ours.

Chris

-Ray-
01-06-2009, 01:28 PM
Yeah, I had a Stolen Fox H pipe on there too.
But the Magnaflows came 1st.

Eric_GT
01-06-2009, 06:35 PM
Axle backs are just the rear muffler. If you have the stock exhaust system, it is the least expensive bang for your buck. You'll get a nice sound from your exhaust. You won't pick much additional HP.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t16/ElecBlueG6GT/G8/G8%20exhaust/G8Magnaflows.jpg

I'm lost. How is a stock exhaust an upgrade?
Of course axle backs are just mufflers. An axle back system is less of an upgrade than a catback. So, how does is the stock exhaust the least expensive bang for the buck when in fact it is not an upgrade whatsoever. Quite confused by your thinking.

-Ray-
01-06-2009, 06:45 PM
Those are not the stock mufflers. Those are the Magnaflows. I wouldn't waste your time with a pic of the stock mufflers.
I happened to reuse my stock tips. Which incidently, I still have, plus another set.

GRRRR8
01-06-2009, 06:46 PM
I will give this a shot because I think I know what you are saying Eric. There is about a 3-5 HP gain with muffs only, if that. The only reason 1 would do this is for more sound. Then you have a Cat-back system, a little more flow, maybe a little more sound and maybe 8-10hp if you are lucky. This is done for looks to as most companies stuff are pretty. Best bang for the buck, ARH/KOOKS long tubes and stock muffs. Now you get real power and it sounds like a stock Vette. Perfect sound is a persons perception of sound. We all dont hear sounds the same way. Power for me is always the 1st factor. Quality runs a close tie most of time.

Eric_GT
01-07-2009, 07:29 AM
Those are not the stock mufflers. Those are the Magnaflows. I wouldn't waste your time with a pic of the stock mufflers.
I happened to reuse my stock tips. Which incidently, I still have, plus another set.

Quit changing your avatar dammit. You're confusing me! :wacko: lol!

Eric_GT
01-07-2009, 07:34 AM
I will give this a shot because I think I know what you are saying Eric. There is about a 3-5 HP gain with muffs only, if that. The only reason 1 would do this is for more sound. Then you have a Cat-back system, a little more flow, maybe a little more sound and maybe 8-10hp if you are lucky. This is done for looks to as most companies stuff are pretty. Best bang for the buck, ARH/KOOKS long tubes and stock muffs. Now you get real power and it sounds like a stock Vette. Perfect sound is a persons perception of sound. We all dont hear sounds the same way. Power for me is always the 1st factor. Quality runs a close tie most of time.

Thanks guys. HP is important for me to, but not at the expense of excessive drone. What I was trying to say in a muddied way was that I knew axle backs would not give the same performance as cat backs. However, axle backs should give less drone than cat backs from what I have heard in numerous forums.
From what I have also heard through google videos (I know this is not recommended when picking an exhaust- but anyway) the magnaflow has the deep sound I am looking for. Those Corsa exhausts sound a bit too raspy- for me. I compare it to the sound of a Viper.

My first and primary question was if I will hear a difference with adding just axle backs. It sounds as if I will.

Trust me, my wife never knows what the hell I am talking about half the time either!!!! lol

GRRRR8
01-07-2009, 07:46 AM
LOL! As long as you know! It really comes down to your long term plans and budget.

99-LS1-SS
01-07-2009, 08:33 AM
Eric I too hate drone. I had a Camaro with a Borla exhaust that didn't have cats and that was the Drone Master 2000! I hated driving at normal speeds. It sounded great at WOT but anything other than that was annoying. From all I've read the long tube headers with the stock mufflers is the way to go. I plan on doing just that.

EcoBrick Bob
01-07-2009, 01:12 PM
Eric,

I have both S.F. Axlebacks and the H-pipe that replaces the center resonator. Mine have 9K on them and have definitely gotten louder over time. The drone is really only the vibration of the DOD mode. They sound great when DOD is not active. My only issue is the tips are so hot that I have been burned by them. Rear passengers complain about DOD mode sound, going on and off. To that end, I'm having VMS program it off sometime this month. My wife has never complained about the noise, in fact she thinks the car sounds great. Only slightly louder than my stock GTO M6. I do have a custom exhaust on my Denali, and our other car was an 02' Corvette, so she's used to noise. I'm 63 and she's in her late 50's.

The resonator showed heat damage when removed at 2K so I assume it does it's job of cutting noise, even though it is straight thru - both separate pipes in and out of it.

Good Luck!

Rob

Rob

Eric_GT
01-07-2009, 03:55 PM
Well, I'll keep you guys in tune. They should be here middle of next week. Evidently they are coming from CA.
I will try to video tape my exhaust pre and post operation to give everyone somewhat of an idea.
Yes, I too will be getting a VMS tune once vararam comes out with their intake.

I cannot STAND that cylinder deactivation! It is so annoying while driving. If anything I waste gas by always poking at the pedal to kick the cylinders back on!

EcoBrick Bob
01-07-2009, 04:21 PM
VMS can stop it for a fee!!!!

ANNOYING DOD!!!!