edmanet
01-05-2009, 03:47 PM
What does the following post mean ???
From another forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by needasrt4 View Post
great run what are your shift point set at

Response from member:
I would love to help you with that but it's becoming a trade secret to get these A6 cars to shift with a lot of power .

The G8 being talked about runs 11.14 . Is he saying there's some magical RPM
that the G8 should shift at ???

wreckwriter
01-05-2009, 03:54 PM
I saw that too. I was disappointed with his response. "member" was Matt from TuneTime btw.

r33pwrd
01-05-2009, 04:01 PM
I think he is actually saying they dont shift correct with lots of power like he has and he has a "secret" way to make them shift.

GTPprix
01-05-2009, 04:06 PM
LOLz

-Ray-
01-05-2009, 04:07 PM
There are a 100 ways to make them shift. 100 percent TQ down to zero percent TQ.

Andy@Livernois
01-05-2009, 05:11 PM
ummm... ok... :wtf: I for one always feel the more info the better...

In the engine component world you would be surprised how many of our competitors wont give out recommended machining clearances for their components deeming it's info that only they should know. I feel that we are all a community, and we can learn from everyones mistakes and their triumphs. Well, except for Chris's mistakes... I think everyone here already knew that sex with a horse isn't cool, but he had to see for himself... :D

Robert@KBXPerformance
01-05-2009, 07:28 PM
Fuck that guy he can go blow a goat and that fag in the pink hat if he wants to be a complete dickweed like that. Someone should go bust a hole in his transmission making his "secret" shift points completely fucking useless just like him :(

End rant :p

What some of you guys should understand is that it takes allot of time and effort to dial some vehicles in perfectly when custom tuning. Transmission settings are very key too because driveability and transmission shifting takes one hell of allot longer to tune properly. If that guy put 5 hours into making that transmission shift smooth as glass at a given power level then why should he be obligated to you to give that information up for free to just anyone on the street? After all they do run a business and if you just give that stuff away then you aren't going to get much of a real return.

As a custom tuner I discuss in great detail allot of WOT tuning tech stuff on the boards. I do this because this is what most people want to know of and because it is not really any huge trade secret. But when it comes down to just disclosing the exact items I have changed and what those exact changes were then I tend to not disclose as much.

You guys got to remember that while this is a car enthusiast community it is also business to some folks also. To you it may be a hobby but to others it may be what puts food on the table for their families. Just think about that the next time you expect a custom tuner to release trade secrets.

A customer wanting to know some of the basic items being changed is one thing but what some of you seem to expect is just not going to happen with most tuners. It is not that we are trying to be ubersecretive or jerks, but if we put allot of effort into something then don't expect us all to just give that away without hesitation.

Now on the flipside, if a tuner or shop doesn't discuss anything with anyone about the work they do or think they are CIA op's holding national secrets then that is a jerk move in my opinion. Most are here to help but there is a point where some people expect a little too much.

I know I didn't need to post in here but I figured it would be best to enlighten those who have the wrong idea about shops and tuners and the disclosure of information that should be expected. Give the perspective from the other side of the fence, so to speak. If your not a paying customer then don't expect encyclopedia's of information to be thrown at you. Happy modding guys and girls.

EDIT: Just for further tech clarification...There is LOADS more to tuning the transmission shifting than just what RPM (or MPH) point the trans shifts at. That is what that tuner changed to allow the trans to properly hold that additional power without catastrophic result. These 6L80E transmissions are VERY dependent upon a good tune to allow them to live a long and well operating life. This is true for allot of the newer and more electronically controlled transmissions from more makers than just GM as of late.

R.Penguin
01-05-2009, 08:41 PM
Well said.

:thumbsup: :clap:

wreckwriter
01-05-2009, 08:46 PM
Well said.

:thumbsup: :clap:

Very well said, and true. Dunno that shift RPM falls in the category though.

R.Penguin
01-05-2009, 08:49 PM
Good point. :p

Robert@KBXPerformance
01-05-2009, 08:53 PM

Though I do not know the entire backstory I am willing to bet that the other tuner meant that they would have preferred to keep all his transmission shift tuning under wraps. Easier to not make any slipups that way.

And one other thing is that unless a person is running a very similar setup to what that tuner is running then the transmission shift RPM settings may not even be optimal for another combo. Some cars make their power allot more early and so it may be better to set the RPM based WOT shifts a little earlier. Some turbo cars make huge power all the way until redline and thus will usually be tuned to take advantage of that extra high RPM grunt.

GRRRR8
01-05-2009, 08:55 PM
I go through this a lot. Just because I know or can diagnose a car fast on the job, I am still charging 1.0 hrs minimum. The option is always there ti go elsewhere, have it misdiagnosed, waste money on unnecessary repairs, loss of time, etc. If Matt gave the info away, we would all buy HP Tuners and tune it ourselves. The truth of the matter is, Matt could probably give you all the info and it would not even matter. You cant put a price on experience.

Robert@KBXPerformance
01-05-2009, 08:56 PM
You cant put a price on experience.

Quoted for absolute truth, especially when it comes to custom tuning.

GRRRR8
01-05-2009, 09:11 PM
Quoted for absolute truth, especially when it comes to custom tuning.

It pisses me off when a car has been to 5 or 6 shops, the customer has spent hundreds of dollars, all the gravy PMI work has been done, but I am now the bad guy for charging to diagnose it! I tuned a TT Mustang about 10 years ago. I never had used Haltech F9 system before, but I was servicing the fathers Buick when I met the son. The car had thousands in parts in it, a ton of $$ spent on tuning and it didnt run? WTF?!?! In 3 hours I had it running and idling, by 8 hours you could put it on the transbrake, drive it and make passes. Something wasnt right though. I found air leaks in the intercooler, standard headgaskets on o-rings block and heads! No directions, no book. EXPERIENCE. This person is who bought my Mach 1 and is 1 of my very best friends to this day. When he bought my Mach I asked him, "why do you want this car so bad?" His answer, "because I know its RIGHT!" His cost for tuning 0 dollars. I dont get paid to learn. I got a free education on a DFI system that led to some $400 per hour track sessions on some outrageous cars that had quirks from steering/brakes/drivability you name it. I even got to make passes in most of them. So you see, its not just about the money sometimes, but if thats how a man takes care of his family, you just cant take that away from him.

wreckwriter
01-06-2009, 03:55 AM
All of that's true, I just wanted to know what RPM the fast guy shifts at :)

-Ray-
01-06-2009, 04:09 AM
I cleaned this thread. There was actually some good information in here.

GeorgeInNePa
01-06-2009, 04:59 AM
There was some good light-hearted comedy here.

You're no fun!

;)

GRRRR8
01-06-2009, 05:12 AM
All of that's true, I just wanted to know what RPM the fast guy shifts at :)

I understand wanting to know this, but he has a combo 95% of the people will never have so maybe thats why he doesnt tell or he misunderstood what he was being asked.

-Ray-
01-06-2009, 05:22 AM
There was some good light-hearted comedy here.

You're no fun!

;)

I agree, but 2 pages of gay bashing Charlie was too much. Thanks to Robert for bringing some sense of order to the place. :)

GeorgeInNePa
01-06-2009, 05:31 AM
No one was gay bashing Charlie. He can be as gay as he wants!

As long as you agree you're no fun...

;)

GRRRR8
01-06-2009, 05:32 AM
LOL! I got your gay! Why are you awake this early?

GeorgeInNePa
01-06-2009, 05:34 AM
Wife worked a 3rd shift. I had to put Thing1 and Thing2 on the bus.

I'll be going for a nap soon.

;)

GRRRR8
01-06-2009, 05:35 AM
I was about to say. Nap, more like coma!

GTPprix
01-06-2009, 07:24 AM
Damn... this thread was awesome... now its just well... Gay.

G8GXP4now
01-06-2009, 07:55 AM
So it is okay or not okay to shift at 8000 rpms?

99-LS1-SS
01-06-2009, 07:56 AM
It's probably ok for at least 1 pass or two...

GTPprix
01-06-2009, 08:00 AM
It's probably ok for at least 1 pass or two...

ROFFLES I was going to say 1/4 of a pass but ok :)

Robert@KBXPerformance
01-06-2009, 11:03 AM
So it is okay or not okay to shift at 8000 rpms?

Absolutely ok....with a rotating assembly and valvetrain built for it......so in most people's cases......no.... :)

-Ray-
01-06-2009, 12:29 PM
ok...back to being reluctant again..

GeorgeInNePa
01-06-2009, 08:57 PM
ok...back to being reluctant again..

Oh, stop pouting.

:nah:

Robert@KBXPerformance
01-06-2009, 09:15 PM
Oh, stop pouting.

Ray reminds me of Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh. "Well, I guess I will moderate if you want me to... Even if you think I am no fun"

GeorgeInNePa
01-06-2009, 09:26 PM
Ray reminds me of Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh. "Well, I guess I will moderate if you want me to... Even if you think I am no fun"

:rofl:

-Ray-
01-07-2009, 02:45 AM

Haha, now I gotta go find an avatar.

-Ray-
01-07-2009, 03:46 AM
Oh, stop pouting.

Nah, you read the wrong inflection in that.

99-LS1-SS
01-07-2009, 05:35 AM
Haha, now I gotta go find an avatar.
Here you go....lol

edmanet
01-07-2009, 06:18 AM
Wife worked a 3rd shift. I had to put Thing1 and Thing2 on the bus.

I'll be going for a nap soon.

;)

Damn you have a wife that works !!!

Instead of saying its a trade secret all he had to answer was it shifts
at 6122 RPM or whatever. I'm sure there are a lot of parameters in the
tuning software that were changed besides the shift point to make it shift hard.

I have a vector tune and have asked vector questions about how my car is tuned. They've revealed basic settings w/o giving up "trade secrets".