PDA

View Full Version : Wires through the firewall

wreckwriter
01-05-2009, 09:54 AM
I'm soon going to need to get a few gauge wires through my firewall. I really would rather not cut a 1" hole and grommet it myself. I was thinking I might be able to pass the wires through an existing hole if I cut the connectors off and solder the wires together on the other side. Anyone know of any factory holes that might take a few more wires or have any other ideas?

Thanks as always!

Robert@KBXPerformance
01-05-2009, 10:29 AM
Take your drivers side fender liner out. Look in the area where your side marker blinker light wires go through into the cabin. Pull your wires through there. That is the location I ran the nitrous oxide system wires for my G8. It was a little bit of a challenge to get them through that tight area with the turn there but with one person sending and another receiving it should not be a problem for you.

wreckwriter
01-05-2009, 10:35 AM
Excellent idea. Thanks Robert!

Robert@KBXPerformance
01-05-2009, 10:41 AM
BTW a fishtape or coat hanger will be a must.

99-LS1-SS
01-05-2009, 10:47 AM
BTW a fishtape or coat hanger will be a must.

Being a little dyslexic, the first time I read this post I thought it said fish shaped coat hanger....LOL! I was thinking, what the hell does it need to be fish shaped for?

Robert@KBXPerformance
01-05-2009, 11:16 AM
Being a little dyslexic, the first time I read this post I thought it said fish shaped coat hanger....LOL! I was thinking, what the hell does it need to be fish shaped for?

Aerodynamics... :)

-Ray-
01-05-2009, 12:18 PM
Take your drivers side fender liner out. Look in the area where your side marker blinker light wires go through into the cabin. Pull your wires through there. That is the location I ran the nitrous oxide system wires for my G8. It was a little bit of a challenge to get them through that tight area with the turn there but with one person sending and another receiving it should not be a problem for you.

Now that Wreck is gonna be making power, I don't want to be left too far behind. How much would it cost to duplicate your Nitrous setup?
You can pm me for the really special deals. :D

wreckwriter
01-17-2009, 09:05 AM

Robert, how big is the hole? Will I be able to pass the gauge connector through or will I have to cut the connector off and reattach?

Robert@KBXPerformance
01-17-2009, 09:10 AM
Robert, how big is the hole? Will I be able to pass the gauge connector through or will I have to cut the connector off and reattach?

I do not recall how big the connector is on your particular gauge. The hole itself is 3/4" in diameter if I remember correctly.

wreckwriter
01-17-2009, 09:14 AM
I do not recall how big the connector is on your particular gauge. The hole itself is 3/4" in diameter if I remember correctly.

OK, that should be plenty big. Is it grommeted, sealed with goop, etc?

Robert@KBXPerformance
01-17-2009, 09:33 AM
OK, that should be plenty big. Is it grommeted, sealed with goop, etc?

There is a flexible shroud/grommet that covers the turn signal wires going through there. It is flexible enough to bend around your wires and still maintain a pretty good seal.

g8_795
01-17-2009, 09:52 AM
Does anybody have pics of this? I am debating on where to run my WB connector inside. This looks like it may be the right spot.

wreckwriter
01-17-2009, 02:36 PM
Man, that was a booger. In the end it did work though, one end of the harness is inside, the other is in the engine compartment.

Notes-

1- You have to remove the wheel to remove the inner fender cover.

2- The wires will exit just above the fuse panel; best to pull the trim piece that covers that area.

Another day's work to try to get the harness up to the top of the center stack.

g8_795
01-17-2009, 03:04 PM
no pics :-(

g8_795
01-17-2009, 03:05 PM
wreck, off topic, but did you put your stall back in? I see it in your sig. Did you ever figure out what went wrong?

wreckwriter
01-17-2009, 03:23 PM
no pics :-(

Sorry, not a photographer.

wreckwriter
01-17-2009, 03:23 PM
wreck, off topic, but did you put your stall back in? I see it in your sig. Did you ever figure out what went wrong?

Yes, I did put it back in. It was tightened to 2800 and is much better now. No real explanation though.

g8_795
01-17-2009, 03:26 PM
Yes, I did put it back in. It was tightened to 2800 and is much better now. No real explanation though.

Good to hear. You are going to flying at the track next time you go.

wreckwriter
01-17-2009, 03:34 PM
Good to hear. You are going to flying at the track next time you go.

You have no idea :)

Robert@KBXPerformance
01-17-2009, 09:07 PM
Man, that was a booger. In the end it did work though, one end of the harness is inside, the other is in the engine compartment.

Notes-

1- You have to remove the wheel to remove the inner fender cover.

2- The wires will exit just above the fuse panel; best to pull the trim piece that covers that area.

Another day's work to try to get the harness up to the top of the center stack.

I forgot to mention those few items. I figured you would pretty much know what you had to take off to clear those items when looking at it. Hey at least it is hidden and you didn't need to drill anything. :)

wreckwriter
01-18-2009, 04:39 AM
I forgot to mention those few items. I figured you would pretty much know what you had to take off to clear those items when looking at it. Hey at least it is hidden and you didn't need to drill anything. :)

It worked good, thanks :)

Next trick is trying to fish the wires up the center stack.

wreckwriter
01-18-2009, 11:39 AM
The gauges are in. Massive bitch fishing wires through the center stack.

Having a bit of trouble finding a circuit that meets Autometer's criteria (stays on while cranking).

wreckwriter
01-18-2009, 12:19 PM
This circuit thing is proving to be a real problem....

G8GT721
06-20-2009, 08:23 AM
sorry for the bump of this old thread, im assuming this is the hole you are talking about and your are just removing the rubber plug and filling it with sealant after the new wires are installed. I am having a hard time finding them inside the cabin. do you guys have any tips for eemvoing the trim near fuse panel
http://i323.photobucket.com/albums/nn453/kroche721/SN150553.jpg

wreckwriter
06-20-2009, 08:31 AM
Only tip is be careful, I cracked mine. You have to pull the lower trim at the drivers doorsill to get the kick panel trim off as I recall.

Robert@KBXPerformance
06-20-2009, 08:37 AM
I have also since located another place to get wires from the engine bay into the cabin without as much hassle. Take the fender liner off of the front drivers side of the car. It would be nice to have the wheel removed too. See that black rubber plug that is on the rear side of the wheel-well almost near the bottom? Take that out and look in there. Now open your drivers door and go inside the cabin. Take your door threshold plastic piece out and pull the carpet and padding back near the front. You will see the painted metal there you will have to take a unibit step drill bit and drill a hole for the wires to pass through. To find the proper location what I suggest doing it taking a shop light and placing it on top where you pulled the door threshold off of. Then go to that hole in the fenderwell left behind by the black plug you pulled. Look in that hole and you will see some light shining through from the light. That will give you a better idea of where you should probably orient your drilled hole on the metal piece. Due to the way things are located you will have to pull all your wires going through the drilled hole first, then through into the open space, then hook onto them with a coat hanger and pull them through that bigger existing hole left by the black plug you took out. To keep things somewhat sealed you can cut a small X in the black rubber plug and slide your wires through that to keep it clean.

If someone takes the time to take a picture of the left side outer kick panel on their car I will modify the picture and repost it so that you know exactly where I drilled my holes.

Overall this approach is easier than the original method I found of running the wires through the area where the turn signal wires run.

G8GT721
06-20-2009, 10:01 AM
Here you go Robert, let me know if you need a different angle or anything else
http://i323.photobucket.com/albums/nn453/kroche721/SN150563.jpg
Rubber Gromment at bottom of Drivers side wheel well^^^

http://i323.photobucket.com/albums/nn453/kroche721/SN150565.jpg

Robert@KBXPerformance
06-20-2009, 05:32 PM
Here you go. Just do as the little caption says and pull the carpet and padding back as far out of the way as possible when drilling the hole. Hope this helps.

http://forum.grrrr8.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=2302&d=1245547845

SFC
06-20-2009, 05:35 PM
To run wires into the engine bay I didn't have to remove the wheel well or anything else. Just popped out the rubber grommet that runs up behind the dash, just below where the big thick red power wire runs, and ran a wire through. After I got the first one through, I just used that to feed the rest.

G8GT721
06-21-2009, 02:12 PM
Here is what i chose to do, pretty much what Robert was saying but seemed a little easier for me and the 1 inch grommet i was installing. I usually spray primer or use silicone in any holes i drill, better to be safe than sorry
http://i323.photobucket.com/albums/nn453/kroche721/SN150570-Copy.jpg
http://i323.photobucket.com/albums/nn453/kroche721/SN150574.jpg

chuckwi11
06-21-2009, 04:49 PM
If you check the JHP site and the instructions (pdf) for installing the Sport or Atari gauge package they point out an unused firewall grommet to be used to pass wiring... haven't got my gauges yet but it looked like it was a lot easy than some of the other locations. Of course you have to have your dash disassembled to get to the grommet/hole.

GAG8
06-21-2009, 07:21 PM
If you check the JHP site and the instructions (pdf) for installing the Sport or Atari gauge package they point out an unused firewall grommet to be used to pass wiring... haven't got my gauges yet but it looked like it was a lot easy than some of the other locations. Of course you have to have your dash disassembled to get to the grommet/hole.

Here's the link to the instructions:
http://www.jhp.com.au/g8partsdirect/InteriorAccessories/JHP-G8-Sports-Gauges-Instructions.pdf

SFC
06-24-2009, 06:24 PM
Here's the link to the instructions:
http://www.jhp.com.au/g8partsdirect/InteriorAccessories/JHP-G8-Sports-Gauges-Instructions.pdf

That's the one I used. You most definitely do not need to take your entire dash apart to get to it. I'd recommend the main panel underneath the steering wheel be removed, as well as the side panel over the fuse box, but that's about it.