PDA

View Full Version : New Battery

Panzer Leader
10-06-2011, 03:35 PM
Had to get new battery today. Had 30 months and 50K miles on the OEM. Needless to say not covered as a warranty item. Priced around, Autozone, O'Riely ended up going with a higher grade extended battery from GM. Interesting thing was after the jump to get it to the dealer, lost everything, all of the On Star services as well as the Bluetooth. Got to the Dealer and restarted the car with the Engineering Mode on the DIC. OEM Battery was showing 8.5% charge. No warning gefore the failure. End result, $240.00 for a 36 month full replacement 6 year prorated new Delco battery installed. Thankfully, after the new battery was installed, On Star and Bluetooth came back up. Bottomline, what % charge, should the new battery be showing in the Engineering Mode?

-Ray-
10-07-2011, 02:06 AM
I'm still on the stock battery. It was put in my G8 11/07

wreckwriter
10-07-2011, 03:59 AM
Mine shit the bed yesterday. Pretty sure this is my fourth one.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Napalm
10-07-2011, 06:49 AM
Good question. Might need a little math. but again it would vary on how far you drive every day and whatever other loads or strain you put on the battery.

Did anyone every grab a schematic to see if the computer reads the Battery resistance, or if it uses some other method for that %.

standard loads I would guess, (and its a SWAG) that below 20% you are not getting enough charge back into the battery for it to last much longer. Below 15%, you should be looking for a new one.

SWAG.

Napalm
10-07-2011, 06:51 AM
Mine shit the bed yesterday. Pretty sure this is my fourth one.

WOW, I guess the extra fuel pump and the extra starting load are really doing a number on it. Still using OE batteries, or are you trading up to something else?

texn884
10-07-2011, 09:02 AM
I got a new battery at Wal-MArt I think it was like $120.00 and took me 30 mins to do the install.

wreckwriter
10-07-2011, 10:14 AM
AutoZone duralast.

Napalm
10-07-2011, 12:12 PM
I usually have good luck with those duralast golds. went through 2 of them on my GTO. You do have to add water to them, or they won't make it past 2 years.

Panzer Leader
10-07-2011, 01:47 PM
Good question. Might need a little math. but again it would vary on how far you drive every day and whatever other loads or strain you put on the battery.

Did anyone every grab a schematic to see if the computer reads the Battery resistance, or if it uses some other method for that %.

standard loads I would guess, (and its a SWAG) that below 20% you are not getting enough charge back into the battery for it to last much longer. Below 15%, you should be looking for a new one.

SWAG.

Thats what I was thinking but not sure. All the aftermarket places would not do the free install, because of the battery being in the trunk. They all wanted $160-190.99 for a battery. The new dealership I am using has been pretty good and I don't mind supporting them.

wreckwriter
10-07-2011, 05:00 PM
Thats what I was thinking but not sure. All the aftermarket places would not do the free install, because of the battery being in the trunk. They all wanted $160-190.99 for a battery. The new dealership I am using has been pretty good and I don't mind supporting them.

they're pussies. I did the swap in 10 minutes in my pit last night with a drop light.

Napalm
10-10-2011, 04:23 PM
If Anything this battery is easier to get out than one under the hood of most cars. lots of access.

Panzer Leader
10-10-2011, 04:54 PM
Engineering Mode showing Battery Charge at 95%. About $50.00 more than I should have paid but these folks at the Dealership are pretty good people.

PaFromFL
02-16-2015, 07:39 PM
My car failed to start, so I carefully monitored the voltage on my original battery after charging. After the trunk light went off, the current dropped to about 7 mA, so that didn't seem to be the problem. After charging, the battery voltage usually came up to 12.4 V, but discharged to 10 V overnight. Sometimes the voltage would not go above 11 V while charging, so I'm guessing it was the typical Florida bad/shorted cell.

I'm not sure whether to be annoyed that the battery lasted only 4655 miles, or overjoyed that it lasted 6 years. Seeing that it spent a lot of time at high Florida temperatures, I'm probably lucky.

The WalMart EverMaxx MAXX-H7 3-5 year battery now costs $150.13. It comes with a breakaway vent plug for the positive side of the battery as pictured in the attached image.

firstdue
04-07-2015, 05:16 PM
The original battery finally gave out a few months ago with only 7000 miles on the odometer. Found quite a few options for a replacement:

DieHard Gold 3 year 765 CCA for $112
Duracell 3 year at Sams Club for $129 Also 765 CCA - both of these batteries are made by East Penn.
Everstart Maxx at Walmart for $150 -790 CCA 3 year plus the addition 2 pro-rated.

or do I go with an AGM battery?
Autocraft Platinum for $166 with coupon code

I'm leaning toward the cheaper Diehard as its a garage queen and on a battery tender most of the time.

Only problem is I cant tell the manufacture date on the Diehard. I don't really want one that's been on the shelf for 6 months.

OK...figured out East Penn uses a number/letter combination. I saw batteries on the shelf that had 2013 dates on them.

firstdue
04-07-2015, 07:29 PM
Is the original Ac delco an AGM?

Chewy
04-08-2015, 03:48 AM
Is the original Ac delco an AGM?

I believe it may have been... Hard to remember.

I bought an Exide AGM off of Amazon and am happy with it. The goal is to find one with a higher CCA. The Exide was higher by a decent amount.

GRRR8GT
04-08-2015, 07:26 AM
The original was an AGM in mine. 6 years and 10,000 miles with no corrosion build-up on the terminals. Changed it last weekend when the voltage did not want to stay over 12 for very long. Probably from a lack of use... New Canadian Tire Eliminator AGM looks exactly like the OEM. Regular $210 on sale for $185 plus $20 core.

Napalm
04-08-2015, 07:39 AM
I don't think my OE battery was AGM - but my replacement is.

Duracell or something from SAM's - was 154 I think, somewhere in that arena. 3 year warranty. ONLY PLACE in my town that had one the right size, autozone, Oriely nor Advance auto had one. I was mildly pissed.

cirrus
04-28-2015, 06:12 PM
Had to replace mine today. No problems with the change.
But did notice in the (Eng mode) new battery reads o% charge?
Car started fine.
Is there something I missed?

The original was an AGM in mine. 6 years and 10,000 miles with no corrosion build-up on the terminals. Changed it last weekend when the voltage did not want to stay over 12 for very long. Probably from a lack of use... New Canadian Tire Eliminator AGM looks exactly like the OEM. Regular $210 on sale for $185 plus $20 core.

WhatNext
04-28-2015, 07:57 PM
It will take a day or 2 of driving for the computer to figure out what's what with the new battery.

cirrus
04-29-2015, 02:27 PM
Checked today after a couple of short drives and now it reads 100%.

Thanks for the reply

eric_cspan
04-30-2015, 12:44 PM
Replaced mine with a Maxx-H7 for $150. Fit and runs good, but the battery hold down bracket doesn't fit.