PDA

View Full Version : Emissions!?!??!?!?!?!

christiancoach
10-06-2011, 01:45 PM
I just got a Tab Renewal Letter for my wife's FX45. This was in the notes:
"If you are thinking about buying a new car, be sure it is California emissions compliant! Washington law requires model year 2009 and newer to be California emissions compliant to be registered in this state.
http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/cleancar.html"

WHAT THE HECK???

polo
10-06-2011, 01:53 PM
Uh oh, it's spreading across state lines

laserred
10-06-2011, 02:07 PM
Like diarrhea....

WickedMom
10-06-2011, 02:08 PM
I warn people of this all the time. But no one ever listens to me.

08G8V8
10-06-2011, 03:08 PM
Luckily your G8 is a 2008.....as mine is too!

I12XLR8
10-06-2011, 03:19 PM
If the test is an OBDII scan then everyone with a tune should be safe. If it's a sniffer up the tailpipe you're probably in a heap of trouble!

LDM
10-06-2011, 03:26 PM
Massachusetts has required Californian standards for awhile now. Fortunately we only need an OBDII scan for the emissions test.

JUICED1
10-06-2011, 04:33 PM
If the test is an OBDII scan then everyone with a tune should be safe. If it's a sniffer up the tailpipe you're probably in a heap of trouble!

Gotta love OBD2 systems.

G8GT721
10-06-2011, 04:40 PM
Massachusetts has required Californian standards for awhile now. Fortunately we only need an OBDII scan for the emissions test.

Yea thank god, I would be screwed if sniff test was required

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

laserred
10-07-2011, 06:45 AM
Yea thank god, I would be screwed if sniff test was required

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your wife doesn't make you shower? Hehe, sorry. Couldn't pass it up.

BTW, I'd almost be willing to bet that a "good" dyno tune like Patrick G or others that really pay attention to drivability would be just as clean as the factory tune or even better. Hell, you're still using a wideband for the tune, and since a custom tune usually shoots for a target AFR with quick fueling response, I'd think you'd be pretty close as long as you haven't foregone cats altogether. If you have, I hope you chucked it out your sunroof while on the highway. That's the biggest problem with kittens... they grow up to be cats!

Ben2009GT
10-12-2011, 10:46 AM
There's always a way around this BS. TX has had Emissions for years and trust me there plently of looking the other way. LOL By the way who made Cali the god of emission standards. Thats what wrong with the USA to much screwing the people with fees and tax's. It's my DAM CAR not Cali nor WA.

laserred
10-12-2011, 11:19 AM
Without getting real political about it (getting ready for bed- working midnights tonight), the reason why "they" can do this is because the way the Social Security Act is written, any time you volunteer your SSN to your employer on a W-4, you are swearing to the truth of the assumption that you are a government employee holding the public office of "person". Now you're instantly liable for all 60 million plus statutes man has created over time here in the US.

That said, the LS engine is very clean and efficient, unless you're purposely tuning it to be pig rich, or you have 20-something degrees of overlap at .050", or a 160* thermostat, you should be fine. I'd be willing to bet that with enough time on an eddy-current dyno and a wideband, a determined tuner like Pat G could definitely get a stock L76 to pass emissions without cats, and maybe even some of his smaller cams.

P.S.- as far as the first paragraph goes, don't take my word for it, spend one afternoon checking some of that stuff out. I guarantee you'll be ready to hang your friendly congressmen and senators!