PDA

View Full Version : spark plugs melting on headers?

BobtheMonkee
01-04-2009, 11:15 AM
So, i was installing a CAI on MissNaySimon's G8 today, and opened my hood to show her husband my headers, and low and behold, i noticed something that i hadn't before. On the passenger side headers, seems that two of the spark plug housings are melting to the headers due to the fact that they are straight up resting on them...the others seem to be spaced out enough

guess that explains the burning smell i get from the engine bay sometimes :(

How much of a problem is this?

GeorgeInNePa
01-04-2009, 12:45 PM
So, i was installing a CAI on MissNaySimon's G8 today, and opened my hood to show her husband my headers, and low and behold, i noticed something that i hadn't before. On the passenger side headers, seems that two of the spark plug housings are melting to the headers due to the fact that they are straight up resting on them...the others seem to be spaced out enough

Well, you could wind up with a miss, shorting the wire to the header instead of the plug.

Is it the boot or the wire resting on the headers?

Andy@Livernois
01-04-2009, 12:49 PM
I know this is common on the SLP and the JBA headers... we have to put the fiberglass wrap on the wires, and tie them up to protect them when we use those 2 brands... definitely replace the wires and buy the heat boots for them as well.

09PBMGT
01-04-2009, 02:55 PM
This almost sounds like a deal breaker for the SLP LT's......... if you don't buy the "wrap or heat boots", sounds like there could be some big problems. You would think SLP would fix this issue prior to releasing this product. What do I know...... What I do know is I've purchased these headers and now I'm having second thoughts. :confused2:

BobtheMonkee
01-04-2009, 03:00 PM
i'm going to contact SLP this week about this problem and try to make them buy me new spart plug boots...definitely not the fault of the muffler shop, as i was the first g8 they ever worked on

i'll keep you updated on what i find out about my problem...dont be sad tho, they are great headers and your G8 will sound like a beast

thanks for the info Andy, hopefully the exhaust shop knows what i mean when i tell them what needs to be done...do you know if SLP is aware of this issue?

GeorgeInNePa
01-04-2009, 03:34 PM
This is not a problem with ARH headers.

;)

Andy@Livernois
01-04-2009, 03:54 PM
This is not a problem with ARH headers.

;)

true, not an issue with the kooks or the arh... I told SLP about it about a month ago, but all I was told is it would be forwarded on.

wreckwriter
01-04-2009, 04:00 PM
This almost sounds like a deal breaker for the SLP LT's......... if you don't buy the "wrap or heat boots", sounds like there could be some big problems. You would think SLP would fix this issue prior to releasing this product. What do I know...... What I do know is I've purchased these headers and now I'm having second thoughts. :confused2:

More than almost.

BobtheMonkee
01-04-2009, 04:43 PM
true, not an issue with the kooks or the arh... I told SLP about it about a month ago, but all I was told is it would be forwarded on.

wow, thats pretty bad...if they tell me that after i just got done spending almost 1200 bucks on two hunks of hollowed out metal, im going to FLIP!!!

Kirk@VectorMotorsports
01-05-2009, 07:51 AM

The MSD wires will fix the problem. When you install them you can bend the wires away from the headers. You don't need much, just an air gap you can see through.

That being said, this should not have happened in the first place.

jonasan50
01-05-2009, 12:20 PM
Wow.. Where was the R & D on these...?

GRRRR8
01-05-2009, 12:21 PM
R&D = Dat der look about right Bubba! LMAO!

G8GTlawride
01-05-2009, 05:12 PM
I did ALL my R and D right here! Thats why I have ARH! No issues, zero, zip, nada. I feel for those who have problems. That shouldn't happen.

BobtheMonkee
01-05-2009, 09:02 PM
thank you for the response kirk...what are MSD plugs?

I talked to SLP today, and they say this is the first time they have ever heard of this problem. They brought up the "we've been making headers since 1587 and this isnt our problem" arguement and talked about how they have made headers for tons of LS motors. So, SLP pretty much just told me to F*CK off, its my problem. Even after mentioning your comments Andy, they totally denied being aware of ANY issues with these headers....pretty frustrating.

I then called my muffler shop, and they are always more than willing to help me out...they offered to just put some heat shields between the boots and headers, but 2 of the boots are already melted, and i would like to replace them before i heat shield them. I wanna get it done right, so i'm probably just gonna do it.

so, as for R+D, apparently not enough was done on the G8 over at SLP. I do NOT recommend these headers to anyone looking for some LT's...go for Kooks, ARH, or JBA...someone with a bit better customer support...i mean, shit, SLP treated me like a complete retard!

Anyways, back to MSD...huh? im still learning :) someone maybe got pics with them installed?

BobtheMonkee
01-05-2009, 09:36 PM
nvm, found it...just not sure exactly what i should order :)

GRRRR8
01-05-2009, 09:45 PM
#32819 is for all LS motors in Vettes and Camaros. We have the same set up.

-Ray-
01-06-2009, 03:40 AM
thank you for the response kirk...what are MSD plugs?

I talked to SLP today, and they say this is the first time they have ever heard of this problem. They brought up the "we've been making headers since 1587 and this isnt our problem" arguement and talked about how they have made headers for tons of LS motors. So, SLP pretty much just told me to F*CK off, its my problem. Even after mentioning your comments Andy, they totally denied being aware of ANY issues with these headers....pretty frustrating.

I then called my muffler shop, and they are always more than willing to help me out...they offered to just put some heat shields between the boots and headers, but 2 of the boots are already melted, and i would like to replace them before i heat shield them. I wanna get it done right, so i'm probably just gonna do it.

so, as for R+D, apparently not enough was done on the G8 over at SLP. I do NOT recommend these headers to anyone looking for some LT's...go for Kooks, ARH, or JBA...someone with a bit better customer support...i mean, shit, SLP treated me like a complete retard!

Anyways, back to MSD...huh? im still learning :) someone maybe got pics with them installed?

Can you get pics of the burned wires still on the car? People need to see that.

Kirk@VectorMotorsports
01-06-2009, 06:18 AM
#32819 is for all LS motors in Vettes and Camaros. We have the same set up.

Correct.
These wires are a smaller diameter on the spark plug end. The boot is also flexible, if you install the wire on a plug you can bend it slightly and it will stay that way.

I have found that fiberglass boots will not work if the wire is directly on the header. Over time the heat will still destroy the wire.

BobtheMonkee
01-06-2009, 06:45 AM
i will take pics tonight when i get home from work

09PBMGT
01-07-2009, 02:27 PM
i will take pics tonight when i get home from work

Bob...... We needs some pics. Well, I need some pics, as I've already ordered these headers. Hopefully with your pics, I can show my installer and we can avoid the issues that you, unfortunately, had to deal with. Thanks bro.

BobtheMonkee
01-07-2009, 07:13 PM
ok, just went out and took these...i have a few more angles, but this adequately shows the melting...

http://www.bocsquad.com/images/monkee/g8slp1.JPG
http://www.bocsquad.com/images/monkee/g8slp2.JPG
http://www.bocsquad.com/images/monkee/g8slp3.JPG
http://www.bocsquad.com/images/monkee/g8slp4.JPG

GRRRR8
01-07-2009, 07:23 PM
ARH I know for sure has a better clearance, but MSD wires will allow the necessary clearance you need.

johnh
01-08-2009, 08:44 AM
Did they actually test fit those headers?!? Looks like a pretty major design flaw...

-Ray-
01-08-2009, 09:27 AM
I think I would have sent them back when I saw that.
Thanks for posting the pics, people need to know what they are up against.

BobtheMonkee
01-08-2009, 04:37 PM
np...definitely feel bad for anyone going through this....its a lot of money to spend to have problems like this.

i'm gonna send some pics to SLP but i figure they will prolly tell me to go shove it again...what i need is for someone else with SLP's and the stock spark plug boots to take pics and send them in with me

i do recommend everyone with the SLP's take a look and see if you are melting your boots.

bwooten492
01-08-2009, 07:46 PM
Man these cars are having alot of problems with products from big companies. Go check out my posts on the superchips thread. Is this normal with new cars?

09PBMGT
01-08-2009, 10:18 PM
I wouldn't say "alot of problems".... but with any new car, especially one like this, where almost everyone wants to modify them.... you're gonna have some growing pains during the process. Yeah... the big companys that are putting out equipement should do much more quality assurance (in some instances). I've purchased the MSD wires, hoping this $50 fix will alleviate the "melting" issue that BobtheMonkey is dealing with. Thats a cheap "fix" in my opinion. We will see. I'm having Prodyno up in Phoenix install my headers in the up coming weeks. So hopefully with the new MSD wires and the heads up that BobtheMonkey, unfortunately, gave....... in addtion with a retune from VMS..... this car should be "moving" faster, very soon. I'll let you guys know how it worked out soon enough.
:)

BobtheMonkee
01-09-2009, 07:33 PM
cool, lemme know how that "works" for you

09PBMGT
01-18-2009, 05:58 PM
cool, lemme know how that "works" for you
bump

Bobthemonkey..... have you and VMS, along with your new CAI, fixed the
"issue" you were having? I haven't heard any updates from your end? Hopefully its cleared up!

09PBMGT
01-25-2009, 10:34 PM
Just got the headers installed. No wire/boot clearance issues. I let the guy installing the headers know about your (bobthemonkee) problems. Once he finished the install, he let me know that the MSD wires that I bought were not needed for the "fix". He told me that the boots were somewhat flexible and by looking very close, to all the boots, I have to say that there was no problem. I'm leaning towards your installer being the at fault person here. Don't know for sure, since I wasn't there, but I'll be keeping a close eye on the boots/wires in the upcoming weeks. If you want me to post a few pics, just let me know. BTW.... I have some MSD 8.5 wires for sale (never opened, still have the receipt). PM me if interested

SRG963
01-26-2009, 05:35 AM
Man these cars are having alot of problems with products from big companies. Go check out my posts on the superchips thread. Is this normal with new cars?

Have you gotten your full refund for not liking the tuner?

Your latest post was that you were waiting for a refund...

Just want to make sure everything is good, even tho I don't work for them.

KaiserM715
01-26-2009, 08:19 AM
Not sure if you are still looking for the MSD wires, but here is a set for sale by a forum member:

http://www.forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=3335