PDA

View Full Version : FINALLY installed my Kook's headers

Kermit
01-03-2009, 01:27 PM
Well I was able to pick up my headers and X-pipe and after a day and a half, finally have a car that is starting to wake up.

I was able to do this whole install on jack stands in my garage but I have to say that if I were to do it again, I would rather have it on a lift. Also if you don't have pneumatic tools, it is going to be a long day. :)

I'm going to have to get back under there eventually because my drivers side muffler is sticking out farther than the other but I'm beat for now. Going to call Kooks on Monday and see if they have suggestions.

For those that have kooks exhaust systems, is the x-pipe on the drivers side the longer or shorter end? I have the longer tube on the drivers side. I'm wondering if I might have the x-pipe upside down and that is why the left muffler is sticking out more.

Any help from the pro's would be nice.

P.S. Any suggestions for getting rid of old exhaust? I though the CATs have some precious metals in them right?

GRRRR8
01-03-2009, 01:31 PM
The hangers on the KOOKS X should be in the same position as the factory mid pipe, look at that carefully first and go from there.

Kermit
01-03-2009, 02:09 PM
The hangers on the KOOKS X should be in the same position as the factory mid pipe, look at that carefully first and go from there.

The x-pipe part does not have any hooks on it. :( Only the cat part and the back pieces.

99-LS1-SS
01-03-2009, 02:12 PM
So did you notice a decent difference in power after the install?

Kermit
01-03-2009, 04:21 PM
That would be an Affirmative. Feels like she has more pep all around. Sounds good too. Just need to tweak it in some places because I have a couple of rattles.

GRRRR8
01-03-2009, 04:30 PM
The x-pipe part does not have any hooks on it. :( Only the cat part and the back pieces.

Thats what I meant.

-Ray-
01-03-2009, 06:37 PM
You installed these in a Camaro?

Andy@Livernois
01-04-2009, 06:04 AM
lol relocate time...

99-LS1-SS
01-04-2009, 10:09 AM
lol relocate time...

Yep. :)

Kermit
01-04-2009, 01:45 PM
You installed these in a Camaro?

No, why are you asking that?
This went in the G8. Am I missing a joke here? :)

IXLR8
01-04-2009, 01:52 PM
Did you get a coating on the pipes? If so what color?

How about clearing things in the engine bay, any problems?

Andy@Livernois
01-04-2009, 04:05 PM
No, why are you asking that?
This went in the G8. Am I missing a joke here? :)

You had initially posted this in the Camaro tech section, they relocated it for you... :D

Kermit
01-05-2009, 04:12 AM
You had initially posted this in the Camaro tech section, they relocated it for you... :D

Oppps, thanks. :)

-Ray-
01-05-2009, 04:12 AM

Since I'm the "Reluctant Moderator", I let it ride. Someone else moved it. :)
Sorry Kermit.

Kermit
01-05-2009, 04:18 AM
No coating. My guy was saying that it really is not necessary for stainless steel.

Clearance was not an issue once the stock manifold was removed. I think it was harder getting the stock crap out than putting the new stuff in. That back passenger spark plug was a PITA to get out once the car was already up on jack stands. I recommend taking all hardware out of the engine bay first before jacking the car up. :)

edmanet
01-05-2009, 09:43 AM
I'm going to have to get back under there eventually because my drivers side muffler is sticking out farther than the other but I'm beat for now. Going to call Kooks on Monday and see if they have suggestions.

For those that have kooks exhaust systems, is the x-pipe on the drivers side the longer or shorter end? I have the longer tube on the drivers side. I'm wondering if I might have the x-pipe upside down and that is why the left muffler is sticking out more.

Any help from the pro's would be nice.

P.S. Any suggestions for getting rid of old exhaust? I though the CATs have some precious metals in them right?

I'll look under my car when I get home from work. I had that same question when I installed my headers but can't remember which way I installed the x pipe.

As for the rattle you'll either need to install a couple of washers under the crossover plate or buy the BMR crossover plate.

I saved my stock exhaust because with lawmakers and emissions....one day you might just need it.

r33pwrd
01-05-2009, 10:05 AM
As for the rattle you'll either need to install a couple of washers under the crossover plate or buy the BMR crossover plate.

You mean Drive shaft tunnel brace? I have been thinking about ordering there setup but this would just give me an excuse to order it before I put on the headers :)

edmanet
01-05-2009, 10:21 AM
Yes this.....I got it in black. Takes about five min to install.

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/G8/G8_DTB.jpg

Kermit
01-05-2009, 11:06 AM
Well I went back under the car today and seems like the x-pipe was on upside down according the Kooks. The longer piece should be on the passengers side. :oops:
Thanks for the offer of looking under your car edmanet but no need to now. :)

I guess I'm happy now with no rattles but I also don't have the "rumble" feel anymore. It appears that I must of had a leak around the x-pipe and that was helping the car sound meaner. Now it sounds stock again. :( Might have to look into the kooks mufflers if I want that rumble again.

At least I know that I have more power because of the breathing easier part. Now just need to get that intake.:cheers:

99-LS1-SS
01-05-2009, 11:09 AM
Keep in mind with a rumble leak come carbon-monoxide poisoning.

Kermit
01-05-2009, 11:12 AM
Good point. Don't need to keel over with that especially with me being a firefighter. :)

edmanet
01-05-2009, 02:24 PM
Yes ... the longer side is on the passenger side. That's one thing that pissed me off about Kooks when I got my headers. I couldn't get answer from them about the x pipe.

Well I went back under the car today and seems like the x-pipe was on upside down according the Kooks. The longer piece should be on the passengers side. :oops:

I guess I'm happy now with no rattles but I also don't have the "rumble" feel anymore. It appears that I must of had a leak around the x-pipe and that was helping the car sound meaner. Now it sounds stock again. :( Might have to look into the kooks mufflers if I want that rumble again.

At least I know that I have more power because of the breathing easier part. Now just need to get that intake.:cheers:

G8GTlawride
01-05-2009, 05:18 PM

That rumble you heard was very probably the X pipe touching the cross brace. If that happens the sound is horrendous, or if you prefer such noise "music to your ears". I like quiet myself.

Kermit
01-06-2009, 01:52 PM
Their customer service was great with me. I was able to call then and they answered my questions right there and got me the answer I was looking for the first time I called. :)

Now today I get an engine light so I'll have to pop into Pep Boys to have them read what code it is. I'm hoping it is something to do with the exhaust or I messed something up. Crossing my fingers. :(

g8_795
01-06-2009, 05:48 PM
It will be the "P0420 - Catalyst System Low Efficiency".

No big deal. Tune it out.

Kermit
01-08-2009, 10:28 AM
It will be the "P0420 - Catalyst System Low Efficiency".

No big deal. Tune it out.

You are correct sir!! I also had P0430 which he said was the other bank. I had him reset it and hope it will stay off until I can do the tune.

GRRRR8
01-08-2009, 10:37 AM
P0420/430 are the norm on G8s with LTs that havent been tuned yet.

vipz28
01-08-2009, 11:51 AM
So how was the ease of install? How do the ball fittings seal? Anyone know how this install compares to the ARH? And do we have any comparison numbers yet? :)

Kermit
01-08-2009, 12:45 PM
So how was the ease of install? How do the ball fittings seal? Anyone know how this install compares to the ARH? And do we have any comparison numbers yet? :)

Well like I said in the first post, I took two days to do it. Just took my time, jacked up the car and proceeded to work. If I were to do it again, I would keep it on the ground and do all the engine work (removing everything that needs removing from the top) first.

Doing everything with just a ratchet and socket takes a long time. Having a pneumatic ratchet would be sooooooo much faster and having another set of hands would not hurt. :)

The ball fittings seal fine just as long as you get them tight enough. My leak was coming from where the cats slide over the x-pipe and use a "T-band" (I think that's the right name) to make the connection.

As far as comparison numbers, I would say they are the same. Both the same size and made out of the say material. I went with Kooks only because I was able to get a great deal (at least I think so) by going with a local group buy.

edmanet
01-09-2009, 10:41 AM
I did my install with a friend. He has a lift in his garage. It took us 3 hrs 20 min.

bigwillys58
03-04-2009, 09:00 AM
P0420/430 are the norm on G8s with LTs that havent been tuned yet.

when yall say "tune it out" im guessing you mean by leaning out the car it should cure the problem? surely we dont need to shut off the rear o2s? mine just threw these codes on me sittin at the taco bell drive thru. ive only been tuning the trans with hp tuners in case your lookin at my sig and scratching your head...

wreckwriter
03-04-2009, 09:01 AM
No, they mean turn off the sensors that cause the codes in the tune.

-Ray-
03-04-2009, 11:29 AM
Like Tom said, the rear 02 sensors are not being read. So, no more codes.

bigwillys58
03-04-2009, 02:25 PM
oh. ok thanks guys!!