PDA

View Full Version : G8 vs Curb

Mavrik120
01-01-2009, 05:13 PM
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/ph_mavrik/IMG_7969.jpg

Does this look bent to you?

GRRRR8
01-01-2009, 06:03 PM
Not that I can tell. Does the car pull or is the steering wheel crooked?

Vertical
01-02-2009, 08:06 AM
Same question as above. If you feel like you really don't notice a difference but would still like to be sure then you should try and go to a shop that performs wheel alignments and ask for them to set it up on the machine to be inspected. If your toe is out a significant amount on the side you hit the curb then you may have a bent tie rod. As it is shown in the pic above however, it seems ok.

Mavrik120
01-04-2009, 08:10 PM
yes, to drive in a straight line i have to hold the wheel at about 11 oclock... i know its messed up, i just have to find time to get it into the shop. another interesting note, the traction control now turns itself off after ive been driven a minute or two. the guy i know at the dealership scanned it quick and reset the codes but it keeps coming back so i guess i knocked some stuff around pretty good in there.

GRRRR8
01-04-2009, 08:12 PM
Probably a damaged speed sensor or ABS ring. I have not looked closely at mine, but it may be an assembly.

Blackdevil77
01-05-2009, 08:03 AM
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/ph_mavrik/IMG_7969.jpg

Does this look bent to you?

That looks ok. I did something similar, probably worse actually to my last car. There was this one corner I would always fly around and one day there were a lot of wet leaves on the ground (autumn leaves) and instead of turning, the car just went straight. The left front wheel slammed into this enormous curb ripping it off the car, hub cap flew over the houses and landed in somebody back yard, and the axle smashed the transmission fluid pan. 886 bucks to fix. OOPS!

BSmith
01-05-2009, 08:21 AM
Not sure about the light, but you probably just smacked the alignment out good. I'm betting a good alignment will fix that problem.

Mavrik120
01-05-2009, 04:32 PM
Yeah basically i floored it around a bend that would normally give me a nice fishtail.. but this time i forgot i already had ESP off from showing off with a burnout earlier so instead of getting a little drift action i put her sideways and overcompensated the recovery sending me into the curb front wheel followed by back wheel.. got a couple nice scratches on the rims too :( couldve been worse.. it would have been pretty fun if i hadnt tagged the curb.

-Ray-
01-06-2009, 03:51 AM
Reverse camber turn?

g8ag
06-05-2009, 10:44 AM
I did this my to my G8 today, about 10 mph (only right front tire went over curb). Same 11 o'clock to drive straight. Taking to dealership later.

Blackdevil77
06-05-2009, 11:31 AM
check the ball joint for the love of god lol. Jack up that wheel off the ground and try wiggling that wheel. Look at the ball joint to see if there is any "extra" play that shouldn't be there

Panzer Leader
06-05-2009, 01:16 PM
Don't forget to tighten the nut behind the steering wheel.

g8ag
06-06-2009, 10:56 AM
Dealership said bent strut, which they don't have in stock.

WickedMom
06-06-2009, 12:58 PM
Don't forget to tighten the nut behind the steering wheel.

are you saying there might be a loose nut behind the wheel?:nah:

BigRob
06-06-2009, 01:37 PM
wacka-wacka-wacka!!!!

Panzer Leader
06-06-2009, 05:39 PM
NNNNAAAWWW I am not saying that at all. The front end is saying it. BUT I did the same thing to my J30t. Both front passenger and rear passenger side. Not really cheap to fix as both rims had bought it. I feel your pain.

PerfectD3
06-06-2009, 06:59 PM
I'm drunk, but it looks bent to me.

g8ag
06-10-2009, 07:58 AM
I have now been told (after being told it would be here yesterday) that the part is on back order until July.:blink:

Any comments on driving it a little with a bent strut? When I drove to dealership it seemed to ride fine.

JAM
06-10-2009, 10:26 AM
Driving a little should not hurt, but I wouldn't try any more drifting until it is fixed.

JAM

g8ag
06-13-2009, 09:16 AM
Well, I called around and found strut in another city. Gay Pontiac (not where I had my car) didn't have any, but the parts actually looked it up and found 10 in country. Imagine looking in the computer for where you could find the part :surprise:. I called one place up and could have had one shipped for $50 cheaper than the NW Houston dealership wanted to charge - if they could've found one.

At this point I just got my car from them. The advisor said we would see the bend by looking at the strut when I asked where it was bent. I was kinda surprised they charged me $50 to "diagnose" the problem, but oh well.

After getting the car back from them I checked out my car with a co-worker who works on cars all the time. We did not see any bent parts. There was no sign the dealership had taken out the strut - only finger prints we saw on the strut were our own and no marks on the bolts.

I took my car to a local shop and told them to check to see if anything was bent, if not to do an alignment. They gave me back the car with an alignment and the car is driving perfectly again.

As you might imagine I will not be doing any paid for services from that dealership again. :no1:

Panzer Leader
06-13-2009, 09:41 AM
Why oh why do they do that? This is the kind of BS that drives people to independent shops.