PDA

View Full Version : Battery charge level?

C5y2k
12-30-2008, 07:46 AM
Has anyone checked the battery charge in engineering mode? I've only had the car 6 days and every time I start it it just doesn't turn over with the umph you would expect but I've never had any issues starting the car. So I went into engineering mode and after driving the car for ~10+ miles my battery charge was at 71.3% the kicker is that's what it was right after starting the car. With the car running battery volts are 13.6 to 15.8.

I have the white battery.

GRRRR8
12-30-2008, 07:49 AM
This is normal. I already changed my battery. I think the batteries were weak and never charged, but even after charging the new one, I never got it to read higher then 79%.

Chewy
12-30-2008, 08:01 AM
This is normal. I already changed my battery. I think the batteries were weak and never charged, but even after charging the new one, I never got it to read higher then 79%.

I'm tempted to look for an Odyssey or Optima battery that will fit our application. The car cranks over like POO! I'm always afraid it won't last long if the engine isn't running.

Chris

RB Designs
12-30-2008, 09:55 AM
don't waste your money on an Optima battery...........garbage.

99-LS1-SS
12-30-2008, 09:58 AM

Really? Why? I thought those used to be pretty good batteries.

Chewy
12-30-2008, 10:14 AM
Yeah Odyssey gets my first nod!

I have the ORIGINAL Motorcraft battery in my 1998 (which I took possession of in Sept of 1997) F-150 4X4.

Freaking doesn't die!

Love it!:)

C5y2k
12-30-2008, 10:21 AM

I would agree, I've seen very few good reviews on them. Most people report the battery doesn't last much longer that a year. Most of those are from the vett community where the cars are winterized and parked for 4 months out of the year. For a DD they might be better due to being charged more often.

G8GTlawride
12-30-2008, 10:48 AM
Has anyone checked the battery charge in engineering mode? I've only had the car 6 days and every time I start it it just doesn't turn over with the umph you would expect but I've never had any issues starting the car. So I went into engineering mode and after driving the car for ~10+ miles my battery charge was at 71.3% the kicker is that's what it was right after starting the car. With the car running battery volts are 13.6 to 15.8.

I have the white battery.

Mine will drop to below that level when it sits for a while, like a week or two. As low as the 60's. When I drive it consistantly, the charge will go above 85%, with the highest at 89%.

BSmith
12-30-2008, 03:51 PM
The Optimas seem to have a higher failure rate as of the past 4 or so years. I remember they used to be great, but I have seen more failures as time goes on. I'm wondering what changed in the manufacturing process.

The one that's in the forklift runs without a hitch though.

4BangR-X
12-30-2008, 07:47 PM
Really? Why? I thought those used to be pretty good batteries.

The Optimas seem to have a higher failure rate as of the past 4 or so years. I remember they used to be great, but I have seen more failures as time goes on. I'm wondering what changed in the manufacturing process.

The one that's in the forklift runs without a hitch though.

Yes, they USED to be great. They were bought out some years ago. Can't find any info on it, but a reliable source told me this years ago. Take with a grain of salt, if you will.:)

Take the car to Farm and Fleet, Sears, anything like that. Find the BIGGEST battery you can fit, problem solved:)