PDA

View Full Version : G8 GXP lsx 454 and mod questions, Answers and Suggestions?

cWriGhtZ
08-02-2011, 09:11 PM
I'm new to the car scene, i'm positive i want the g8, i have questions for the lsx 454 and also what can be added, i'm going to be buying a 09 G8 GXP with the six-speed automatic transmission soon, I want to have a high horsepower g8 that can be my daily driver, Ive been doing research stock it comes giving out around 400-415 Hp/402 lb-ft torque, From what i've seen they seem to know what they're doing with g8's so i'll probably go to livernois motosports for all add on's, i was thinking of adding:

MagnaCharger 2300

Corsa dual rear exit exhaust with intergrated x-style cross over pipe and Twin 3.0" Pro-series tips

Rotofab Cold air intake

L92 Stage 2c Camshaft

Custom Kooks 1 7/8" Shorty Headers

Dual Valve Springs

Possible: Yanks Super Stock Stall Torque Converter(Not sure if i need?)

Livernois Dyno Tuning

I figure with that set up i can get around 500+ HP? But then i found the LSX 454 Crate Engine saying it gives out 620 Hp/590 lb-ft torque, that being said could i install the lsx 454 into the g8 gxp and still add all the add on's i mentioned above, Or should i just stick with the Ls3? With the 6x Six-Speed Transmission would adding the Paddle Shifter void out the original manual(+ and -)stick shifting option or could both work? Also around what Hp/Lb-Ft Torque would i see with the lsx 454 engine and mentioned add on's if possible? Any other parts or suggestions are welcome!!!

travis gore
08-03-2011, 01:11 AM
with the lsx454 will need a fuel system and lots of rear end parts
rear
GForce axles
BMR or Pedders bushings
toe rods
trailing arms

when you say new to the car scene what do you mean? How fast was your last car?

fwiw I would just keep the ls3 that is in it. do the mods listed and call it a day

gr8lover
08-03-2011, 03:25 AM
with the mods listed it would be easy to get over 700hp (at crank) out of that..... keeping the LS3..... many guys are over that even...... +1 on fuel system & rear....

Devilish34
08-03-2011, 04:34 AM
My suggestion is this... Search this forum ... You will find people who have G8s that are modded similar to what you want.... This will help you understand more about what you want before you jump in feet first

try www.grrrr8.net more traffic more answers.... You left built trans off your list... W/out the 2300 a GXP will with those mods will be close to 500 whp. Add a 2300 and you should push over 600 which = your 6L80E saying GOOD BYE. Also do long tubes w/out cats... Some people have had issues with the cats clogging. Oh and possibly a fuel system too if to support the 2300

2300 and LS3 should get over 600... but either way I bet the trans say bye bye... Locked ECM means only they can make changes to it...

WhiteDeathLSX
08-03-2011, 05:32 AM
If you're seriously considering an engine swap, then it may be more prudent to buy a GT. You'll save a few $$ on the purchase and you'll have the tranny you want.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Andy@Livernois
08-03-2011, 05:49 AM
agreed, if you want an auto, get either a GT or a GXP with an auto as your base point. Also, the LSX 454 isn't the best choice if you know you are going forced induction. I personally would do a 2300 with a 419 LS3 stroker, upgraded 6l80, our dual pump fuel system, Camaro differential, upgraded axles, pfadt toe bars, bmr trailing arms, and a 2400 stall (with the added cubes and boost it will act like a 3800) with aux trans cooler.

for this you could look at a pump gas friendly 650 rwhp with 620-640 tq.

cWriGhtZ
08-03-2011, 06:56 AM
"when you say new to the car scene what do you mean? How fast was your last car?"---I mean i havent added anything to previous cars, and my last car was a Colbalt LT(More of a family car than anything to make fast) I was recently in an accident which is bringing a large sum of money giving me the option to buy the G8 GXP and add whatever. Trying to have a fast speed monster no one can touch:thumbsup:

"2300 and LS3 should get over 600... but either way I bet the trans say bye bye... Locked ECM means only they can make changes to it..."--- You see the trans saying bye with the TCIŽ 6x Six-Speed Transmission?

"agreed, if you want an auto, get either a GT or a GXP with an auto as your base point. Also, the LSX 454 isn't the best choice if you know you are going forced induction. I personally would do a 2300 with a 419 LS3 stroker, upgraded 6l80, our dual pump fuel system, Camaro differential, upgraded axles, pfadt toe bars, bmr trailing arms, and a 2400 stall (with the added cubes and boost it will act like a 3800) with aux trans cooler."---Thanks, i'm going to go with the GXP for sure, i think i'll stay with the LS3 and add your suggestions to the list of what to put into the car along with the other mods i mentioned above!

Does anyone know if adding paddle shifters would void the manual(+ and -) stick shifting option or could they both work?

Andy@Livernois
08-03-2011, 07:01 AM
Unfortunately the Stock GM shifter would not work on the TCI trans since it is a modified 4l80 transmission and, although it can shift electronically, still has a manual gear selector for the entire range of gears. This is not to say it couldn't be made to work, but there definitely would be custom fabrication involved especially since the 6l80 manual mode runs through the can-bus system, where as the TCI 6x 4l80 based trans is independant. It could work, but I feel the 6l80 is the better option and just getting an A6 gxp would be best... plus you wouldnt be tearing apart an extremely rare car with the M6 trans. it will be cheaper, and better, to do the 6l80 for the power level you are looking for, trust me.

cWriGhtZ
08-03-2011, 07:09 AM
That's too bad being able to use both would be cool, but the only reason i say to switch to the TCI 6x is because above someone mentioned the original trans wouldn't be able to handle the power level i'm trying to get, what do u suggest upgrading it to?

cWriGhtZ
08-03-2011, 07:15 AM
"My suggestion is this... Search this forum ... You will find people who have G8s that are modded similar to what you want.... This will help you understand more about what you want before you jump in feet first"--Thanks for your help, that's why i'm here to figure out what's best, and what i'm going to be adding because i am new to this and i'm getting all this info/suggestions so when i purchase the car in the future i'm ready to get the ball going with everything i want done, thanks again!!

Andy@Livernois
08-03-2011, 07:27 AM
That's too bad being able to use both would be cool, but the only reason i say to switch to the TCI 6x is because above someone mentioned the original trans wouldn't be able to handle the power level i'm trying to get, what do u suggest upgrading it to?

in stock form, yes, however we have numerous upgraded 6l80's running around with well over the power you are hoping to make with no issues.

cWriGhtZ
08-03-2011, 07:54 AM
"in stock form, yes, however we have numerous upgraded 6l80's running around with well over the power you are hoping to make with no issues."---Alright that sounds great, your very helpful! When i purchase the car i'll be calling Livernois to set up the work again thanks for the help.

Andy@Livernois
08-03-2011, 08:00 AM
no problem, just remember, buy one with an auto ;)

travis gore
08-03-2011, 08:32 AM
click on "repy with quote" then type under the quotes (do not remove the quotes) :)

good luck with finding a G8 to mod and have fun with. Remember you can always add to it. I only asked how fast because 450rwhp is no joke and a lot of fun. what you are wanting to build might be more then you feel comfortable driving. We all want to go fast but everyone has a comfort level.

cWriGhtZ
08-03-2011, 10:33 AM
click on "repy with quote" then type under the quotes (do not remove the quotes) :)

good luck with finding a G8 to mod and have fun with. Remember you can always add to it. I only asked how fast because 450rwhp is no joke and a lot of fun. what you are wanting to build might be more then you feel comfortable driving. We all want to go fast but everyone has a comfort level.

Understandable, The car can only go as fast as u make it go though, i don't think it'll go over my comfort level, after all the parts it'll be time for the cars looks, i was thinking halo lights with an LED strip(somewhat like on Audi headlights) and LED tail lights? A Shark Fin antenna, also since the G8 was never made in Green i probably want to get it painted, and i've been looking through threads and i was thinking a GPS install where they took out the digital gauges if possible?-- Any other suggestions and opinions welcome!

JUICED1
08-03-2011, 11:12 AM
You would need some real headers. Kooks shorties are nice but if you plan on that kind of horsepower numbers you are going to need a true long tube. I would recomend ARH 1 7/8" system or a complete SW 1 7/8" system. When you're ready we can set up a sweet deal for you on all those parts. At those power levels a stroked out LS3 makes sense over the LSX block. It's kind of over kill and the extra weight isn't going to help any. You would need a custom fuel system and a new rear end as well.

cWriGhtZ
08-03-2011, 12:49 PM
You would need some real headers. Kooks shorties are nice but if you plan on that kind of horsepower numbers you are going to need a true long tube. I would recomend ARH 1 7/8" system or a complete SW 1 7/8" system. When you're ready we can set up a sweet deal for you on all those parts. At those power levels a stroked out LS3 makes sense over the LSX block. It's kind of over kill and the extra weight isn't going to help any. You would need a custom fuel system and a new rear end as well.

Yeah i'm just gonna stick with the Ls3, thanks for the input on the headers, here to find the best parts for the car, overall everyone is being a great help!

popsicle
08-03-2011, 12:56 PM
I wanna see a G8 in the Camaro green! Doo Eet!

smso966
08-03-2011, 01:22 PM
Don't molest a GXP. Just buy a GT and mod the shit out of it. I think the GXP's price is higher because of the rarity, not the motor. A GXP will be worth more in stock form.

Andy@Livernois
08-03-2011, 01:36 PM
Don't molest a GXP. Just buy a GT and mod the shit out of it. I think the GXP's price is higher because of the rarity, not the motor. A GXP will be worth more in stock form.

personally, I feel the days of cars being worth something are long gone. Too many people buy car's and stash them away thinking they will be worth something later. Look at a GNX, it's probably the most collectible car in the last 30 years, yet they sell today for essentially the same dollars (with factoring inflation) as they did new in 87...

the only reason classic muscle cars are worth anything nowadays is it was rare (very rare) for someone to buy a performance car and not drive it, modify it, or wreck it. now everyone thinks they can get rich by doing so, which devalues the cars in the long term.

Devilish34
08-03-2011, 01:43 PM
Yeah i'm just gonna stick with the Ls3, thanks for the input on the headers, here to find the best parts for the car, overall everyone is being a great help!

give me your credit card and I'll order everything you need.... BTW you'll need a C6Z TR6060 to go with the C6Z rear

schwinn
08-03-2011, 01:47 PM
personally, I feel the days of cars being worth something are long gone. Too many people buy car's and stash them away thinking they will be worth something later. Look at a GNX, it's probably the most collectible car in the last 30 years, yet they sell today for essentially the same dollars (with factoring inflation) as they did new in 87...

the only reason classic muscle cars are worth anything nowadays is it was rare (very rare) for someone to buy a performance car and not drive it, modify it, or wreck it. now everyone thinks they can get rich by doing so, which devalues the cars in the long term.

+1:twocents:

texn884
08-03-2011, 02:06 PM
+1 on the Long Tube Headers. Sounds like you have some nice plans for your future G8. Keep us posted.

cWriGhtZ
08-03-2011, 02:16 PM
I wanna see a G8 in the Camaro green! Doo Eet!

I was thinking more of a darker green, maybe Poison Ivy?

G8GT721
08-03-2011, 04:47 PM
our dual pump fuel system.

I didn't realize you had a pump setup. i couldn't find it on your website, can you point me in the direction.

Lucifer
08-03-2011, 05:05 PM
With this kind of money, why even deal with a G8 in the first place? Pick up a C6Z or SRT-10 Coupe, go FI and be done.

cWriGhtZ
08-03-2011, 05:10 PM
With this kind of money, why even deal with a G8 in the first place? Pick up a C6Z or SRT-10 Coupe, go FI and be done.

Lol i like the G8, and not many around where i live, and a 2seater's no good for me

bwooten492
08-03-2011, 05:28 PM
If you have money to burn... warhawk block 440 ci with some wcch ls7 style heads built 4l80 trans twin 66mm turbos and a gforce 9" rear end and go faster than any other G8 ever will.

texn884
08-03-2011, 05:29 PM
+1 why be like everyone else, we are in a club all our own. 2008 & 2009 only! Not a 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and one and on and one. Style never goes out of Style. Our cars are so cool, why do you think they get all the looks they get each and every day when we drive them.

Andy@Livernois
08-03-2011, 06:53 PM
I didn't realize you had a pump setup. i couldn't find it on your website, can you point me in the direction.

as of right now it's being finalized still, I will say it will be for in hous installs only for the time being. it's rather involved because we want to make it as clean as possible.

G8GT594
08-03-2011, 07:18 PM

Could have been on my car but I am broke now. Andy stole all my money.

Andy@Livernois
08-04-2011, 06:01 AM
nah, you spend too much money on HGH :P and I didn't steal it, you willingly handed it over :)

Tempest2000
08-04-2011, 03:53 PM
Andy I was just up at the shop and no one said anything about a new fuel system. You guys were holding out on me LOL

Andy@Livernois
08-04-2011, 07:48 PM
should have the first one up and running in the next week ;)

G8GT594
08-04-2011, 07:49 PM
nah, you spend too much money on HGH :P and I didn't steal it, you willingly handed it over :)

lmao, Giada is keeping a close eye on my spending now :/

Andy I was just up at the shop and no one said anything about a new fuel system. You guys were holding out on me LOL

Time to make an unplanned road trip! Quick spending is good spending!