PDA

View Full Version : Dodge Grand Caravan Transmission

Chooch
12-29-2008, 12:22 PM
SInce my wife is using my G8GT and her car is fubar, I have the car at the dealer which I actually trust, but want to know if I can get a possible scenerio, 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan AWD, 4 spd auto 3.8 v-6. Car wont shift past 2nd gear, "Limp home mode I presume" Stalls when stoping, engine check light on, and lastly, in the PRND321 led ususally the gear you are in has a lighted square around it but all are lit up. Speedo also does not register. ANy idea would be helpful just so I know going in when they tell me the repair. I trust the dealer but I know the info here is as good if not better then anyplace else :)

GRRRR8
12-29-2008, 12:36 PM
These vehicles are prone to input/output speed sensor failures as well as shift solenoid pack failures. Both can cause the same condition.

Chooch
12-29-2008, 12:44 PM
That is what I was thinking since the speedo went. Not good to be in the north east when the only car working is a G8GT. That Grand Caravan AWD is a snow mule second to none. Thanks for the info and looks like Chrysler gave me a real nice new year present eh? Cant complain, got 105k miles and I heard those tranny's at times pack it in way before then,

GRRRR8
12-29-2008, 12:47 PM
It should be the input/output sensors. Replace both! Cost should be under $200 parts and labor.

Chewy
12-29-2008, 12:55 PM
Ever since Diamler bought them their tranny's got A LOT better but Chrysler trans's were usually good for 60,000 miles whether it was a truck, car or minivan in the '90's and into the 00's.

The trucks and minivans were the worst though. I think because of the increased weight.

Chooch
12-29-2008, 02:04 PM
I know, been good with maint, IE changed out fluid at recomended intervals casue I knew going in there was some suspect to the transmission, add the AWD and the Van is NOT light. I added an aux cooler as well so hopefully it is what was said, should know offically tomorrow. IF not, well my 60 inch LCD I was going to treat myself for is a faint memory :)

Chooch
12-30-2008, 03:38 PM
Got the diagnosis, Charlie, you were correct, Speed sensor issue but with a catch, the tech did a test on the wires on the harness for the speed sensor to ensure it was in fact the sensors and found a wire that due to time/vibration etc, they had broke so he stirpped off the casing isolated the harness wires and did a cut and solder, repack and seal up the harness. Thanks again for the knowledge and pointers

GRRRR8
12-30-2008, 03:47 PM
Glad tp hear its fixed. I have fixed the same harness. Not super common, but I have seen it. Now go get the flat screen!