PDA

View Full Version : Mods and Smog Check issues

BW G8GT
12-29-2008, 12:17 PM
Hello Charlie,

Not to be a killjoy, but.....

In another thread different mod projects for 2009 where posted by members.
I've seen member's posts that were planning cam swaps or header swaps among other things, which leads to my question.

Can swapping out different engine components cause issues with car passing smog check?

I see the different engine upgrade packages for the LS7 motors that are available at various tuners and I'm impressed with the hp gains.

I would hate to find myself in a predicament of having to deal with smog check issues after all the money and work that went into a particular mod.

Am I worrying needlessly?

-Brian

GRRRR8
12-29-2008, 12:21 PM
It depends on the state you are in. If you are in Cali, you might not want to change cams. Here in Texas, as long as the check engine light is off and passes readiness tests, and all your safety equiptment is OK, you are good to go. There are many states like this.

Chewy
12-29-2008, 02:23 PM
It depends on the state you are in. If you are in Cali, you might not want to change cams. Here in Texas, as long as the check engine light is off and passes readiness tests, and all your safety equiptment is OK, you are good to go. There are many states like this.

HELL, In IA they don't even check our cars. We buy them and NEVER have to have them tested EVER! I'm sure that will change some day but for now it's FUN! :woohoo:

It looks like you're from Cali. If someone can sell you 50 state legal cams go for it!

Chris

BW G8GT
12-29-2008, 09:52 PM
HELL, In IA they don't even check our cars. We buy them and NEVER have to have them tested EVER! I'm sure that will change some day but for now it's FUN! :woohoo:

It looks like you're from Cali. If someone can sell you 50 state legal cams go for it!

Chris

Thanks for the input Chris.

I guess that's the price Californians pay for year round sunny weather. Can't hardly do anything worthwhile to car and stay street legal.

Brian

-Ray-
12-30-2008, 04:11 AM
Hello Charlie,

Not to be a killjoy, but.....

In another thread different mod projects for 2009 where posted by members.
I've seen member's posts that were planning cam swaps or header swaps among other things, which leads to my question.

Can swapping out different engine components cause issues with car passing smog check?

I see the different engine upgrade packages for the LS7 motors that are available at various tuners and I'm impressed with the hp gains.

I would hate to find myself in a predicament of having to deal with smog check issues after all the money and work that went into a particular mod.

Am I worrying needlessly?

-Brian

Brian, you are going to need performance parts that carry a CARB cert. It's been a couple years since I lived in Calif, but they are the strictest in the country.

BW G8GT
12-30-2008, 06:33 AM
Thanks Ray