PDA

View Full Version : What do I need for Drag Racing? (roll bar rules)

Steve
08-13-2008, 07:30 PM
Some general NHRA rules:

-All cars must have a catch can for radiator overflow of at least 1 pint. These must be securely fastened (bolted or clamped). Factory overflow in most late-models is fine.

-Neutral safety switch (again, if using a factory shifter, this should be already installed. Aftermarket shifters will require wiring this in).

-If battery is in the back/trunk (regardless of ET), a secured tray and cutoff switch is required.

-If using Nitrous oxide, the bottle must be securely mounted (no plastic brackets), bottle must be stamped with 1800-lb DOT rating and identified as nitrous oxide. If bottle is located in driver's compartment, it must be equipped with a relief valve and vented outside the compartment. Commercially available thermostatically controlled bottle-type warmers are permitted, all other heating of bottles prohibited (i.e. blow torches).

-Any vehicle using a spool center section requires aftermarket axles with positive retention (c-clip eliminators).

-NHRA national and divisional races require clear glass around the vehicle, subject to check. Local races vary, check with your division or track.

-Tires/Wheels/Studs and lugs/spacers:

Tires may be checked for condition, pressure, defects, etc. by a tech inspector before allowing runs. All street tires must have a minimum of 1/16 inch tread depth. Temporary spares, space saver spares or trailer tires prohibited.

Thread engagement on the lug must be equivalent to or greater than the diameter of the stud or bolt. Length of the stud/bolt doesn't determine permissability (example: a 7/16 inch stud must be thoroughly engaged through the threads in the hex portion of the lug a minimum of 7/16 inch.

Spacers are allowed and can be either hub centric or lug centric. Spacer can not reduce the minimum permitted thread engagement below the standards listed above. No stacking of wheel spacers allowed.

13.99 1/4-mile (8.59 1/8-mile) or quicker:

-A driveshaft safety loop is required when you run slicks (not drag radials or street tires). With street tires or drag radials, no loop is required until 11.49 1/4-mile (7.35 1/8-mile) and faster.

-A helmet (closed face or open) is required with a minimum Snell K98 or M2000/SA2000 rating. Helmets last 12 years from their rating date (example a Snell 2005 would be good until 2017). Shield is not required.

11.99 1/4-mile ( 1/8-mile) or quicker:

-Metal screw-in valve stems required on tubeless tires on all wheels.

11.49 1/4-mile (7.35 1/8-mile) or quicker:

-A 5-point minimum roll bar on a fixed roof car (t-tops okay as well if in place while racing) from 11.49 to 11.00 (7.00 1/8-mile). If the hardtop / t-top car has un-altered floors, firewall and frame rails (wheel tubs are okay), then the 5-point roll bar is good til 10.00 1/4 mile (6.40 1/8-mile). Convertibles require the 5-point bar from 13.49 (8.25 1/8-mile to 11.00 (7.00 1/8-mile). The rollbar must be constructed of minimum 1 ¾ inch o.d. x .118 inch wall mild steel tubing, or 1 ¾ x .083 chrome moly tubing. The roll bar can be bolted or welded to the floor, see diagram for specs. Roll bar must be padded anywhere the driver's helmet may contact it while in the driving position.
See diagram below.

The 5-points are:
-Main hoop; 2 "down bars" (bars that go from the main hoop rearward to the trunk floor/hatch area. These can be straight or bent like a "package tray" style, search for photos); Welded crossbar for belts (can't be removable); Driver side door bar (can be a swing-out. Many put a passenger's side bar in as well (6-point) because it strengthens the car on both sides, but if you have subframe connectors the difference may be minimal).

-Protective Clothing (SFI jacket with a 3.2A/1 rating, no expiration date)

-5 point harness (up to date, they must be replaced or re-certified every 2 years)

-SFI-approved flywheel and/or clutch (no expiration date)

-Screw-in valve stems

-No tint allowed on window except factory

10.99 1/4-mile (6.99 1/8-mile) or quicker:

-5-point roll bar is still okay to 10.00 1/4-mile (6.40 18-mile) in hardtop / t-top with un-altered floors, firewall and frame rails (wheel tubs are okay). If the floor and/or firewall has been modified, then a full roll cage is required beginning at a 10.99 e.t. or any vehicle running 135 mph or faster (regardless of e.t.). The roll cage must be constructed of minimum 1 5/8 o.d.x .118 mild steel tubing, or 1 5/8 x .083 chrome moly tubing. Roll cage must be padded anywhere the driver's helmet may contact it while in the driving position.
See diagram below.

-Convertibles require full roll cage at 10.99 and quicker.
See diagram below.

-aftermarket axles with positive retention (c-clip eliminators)

-Transmission shield SFI Spec 4.1 at 10.99 and quicker or 135 mph and quicker (blanket is okay, no expiration date)

-Harmonic Balancer SFI Spec 18.1 (no expiration date)

9.99 1/4-mile (6.39 1/8-mile)/ 135 mph or quicker:

-Roll cage is required on all vehicles at 9.99 and quicker or any vehicle running 135 mph or faster (regardless of e.t.). The roll cage must be constructed of minimum 1 5/8 o.d.x .118 mild steel tubing, or 1 5/8 x .083 chrome moly tubing. Roll cage must also be certified by NHRA every 3 years, and have a serialized sticker affixed prior to participation. The cage must be padded anywhere the driver's helmet may contact it while in the driving position. This style of cage is good til 8.50 1/4-mile times, then a funny car style cage is required.
See diagram below.

-Window net required (can be ribbon or mesh, no altering allowed unless done by manufacturer. No expiration date per 2008 NHRA rule book, but some have said 2 years on expiration/re-cert. Check with your local track or division).

-NHRA competition driver's license required, done by car designation (dragster, door car, etc). A physical, 2 NHRA licensed drivers to witness/sign your forms and minimum 6 runs are required.

-Flexplate SFI 29.1 and shield SFI 30.1 required (no expiration dates listed, but I believe the shield is 5 years)

-Protective Clothing (SFI jacket and pants with a 3.2A/5 rating, gloves and neck collar, no expiration date)

-Battery cutoff (regardless or whether battery is still up front or relocated to rear of vehicle)

-A full-face helmet is required with a minimum Snell K98 or M2000/SA2000 rating. Helmets last 12 years from their rating date (example a Snell 2005 would be good until 2017). Shield is permitted but not required. This rule posting is as it applies to cars like ours (closed body type). For open cars a different helmet ruling is required.

-A engine diaper is required at NHRA national and divisional races, local races vary, check with your division or track.

Parachutes:

-Required at 150 mph or faster, no matter the e.t.

http://www.nhraonline.com/contacts/tech_faq.html

Roll bar Diagram:
http://www.nhraonline.com/images/rollbar.gif
http://www.nhra.com/images/rollbar.gif

Roll Cage Diagram (good to 8.50 1/4-mile elapsed times):
http://www.nhraonline.com/images/rollcage.gif
http://www.nhra.com/images/rollcage.gif
___

wreckwriter
08-14-2008, 04:47 AM
Everything we have is fine until you hit 11.49. The only thing you need now is a helmet to be within the rules.

GeorgeInNePa
09-30-2008, 08:08 PM
-If battery is in the back/trunk (regardless of ET), a secured tray and cutoff switch is required.

Anyone had any trouble with this one yet? I know ours are factory, but a tech nazi could be silly enough to cause problems.

MANOFSTEEL69
10-01-2008, 03:19 AM
Anyone had any trouble with this one yet? I know ours are factory, but a tech nazi could be silly enough to cause problems.

Yes.....Milan Dragway told me I need a cut off switch.

wreckwriter
10-01-2008, 04:59 AM
Interesting. The rule (2008 NHRA section 8.4) states that it is required "when the battery has been relocated or as outlined by class requirements". You might be able to appeal it?

wreckwriter
10-01-2008, 05:26 AM
Another item which would appear to affect lots of us- according to rules regarding "data recorders", Dashhawks would appear to be prohibited except in Super Pro (believe it's 11.99 or faster) and Advanced ET (really fast or faster). Even in those classes it has to be an "NHRA accepted device". Haven't found a list of these yet so not sure.

wreckwriter
10-01-2008, 05:44 AM
I have sent email to the NHRA tech dept requesting clarification on the battery disconnect. I'll let you know when they reply (generally a week or so).

Devilish34
04-23-2009, 12:27 PM
A helmet (closed face or open) is required with a minimum Snell K98 or M2000/SA2000 rating. Helmets last 12 years from their rating date (example a Snell 2005 would be good until 2017). Shield is not required.

How much is a base helmet run?? I might be going to Cecil on Sunday.

And I am assuming I can find one at a speed shop or atv/mc store

wreckwriter
04-23-2009, 12:30 PM
MC helmet is likely DOT rated only, not good enough if your track checks. Go to a speed shop and get a helmet made for car racing. Check here for good examples and prices:

http://helmetcity.com/page/HC/CTGY/AH

Be sure to get one that's rated properly.

Devilish34
04-23-2009, 01:29 PM
Thanks

DQGTO
04-23-2009, 04:01 PM
any update on that battery cutoff

norm8332
06-15-2009, 05:41 PM
SO I can get an M2000 helmet?

wreckwriter
06-16-2009, 03:59 AM
SO I can get an M2000 helmet?

Yes but a 2005 will last longer before expire.

wreckwriter
06-16-2009, 04:00 AM
any update on that battery cutoff

Hasn't been mentioned by my tech guys.

norm8332
06-16-2009, 03:21 PM
Yes but a 2005 will last longer before expire.

Thanks.

wreckwriter
06-16-2009, 04:21 PM
Helmet dates:

http://myspecv.com/f/t154827-2009-nhra-helmet-rules.html

and a million other places, just google NHRA helmet expiration.

norm8332
06-17-2009, 05:04 PM
Helmet dates:

http://myspecv.com/f/t154827-2009-nhra-helmet-rules.html

and a million other places, just google NHRA helmet expiration.

I ended up getting a Snell 2005. The 2000 was cheaper but seemed to be a waste.

RODAN
07-27-2009, 11:28 AM
Any update on the battery question?

I'd like to take the car to the strip for the first time on Saturday, but I don't want to get turned away for this, as it's about an 80 mile drive. It would be nice to have something from NHRA saying it's OK...

wreckwriter
07-27-2009, 11:39 AM
Hasn't been a problem to my knowledge. The rule stated that you have to have the switch "if the battery has been relocated to the trunk". Ours has not so should be OK.

RODAN
07-27-2009, 11:41 AM
OK, thanks.

I'll give it a go.

-Ray-
12-16-2012, 04:08 AM
NHRA rule change allows a 2008 vehicle to run 9.99 before Roll bar is needed.

TooManyHobbies
12-16-2012, 05:30 AM

That is the best news I have heard all day.

travis gore
12-16-2012, 05:42 AM
That is the best news I have heard all day.

I believe that came out Weds of this week. Still great news!!

TooManyHobbies
12-16-2012, 05:49 AM
I believe that came out Weds of this week. Still great news!!

It was news to me! :brock:

travis gore
12-16-2012, 05:51 AM
It was news to me! :brock:

it is all good!

gr8lover
12-16-2012, 12:13 PM

crap!!!!!!! oh well.....

i guess its still good for being a better positioned armrest and only lets the skinny ones in.... :)

gr8lover
12-16-2012, 12:27 PM

not sure what the "unaltered" means in the description of the change..... its says any unalerted production vehicle....... so they may intrepret this as a "zr1" or such could run.... but "unaltered" is the big question of the day...... cars like the zr1 and gt500 are made to go seriously fast..... g8's werent.... they may just be trying to attend to those that have crap loads of money that buy beyrons, zr1s, ferraris, etc.....

i am sure there will be more to come on this..... on what exactly "unaltered production vehicles" mean.... I am thinking any g8 that can go faster than 11.50 is "altered"... :)

wreckwriter
12-16-2012, 01:01 PM
The rule is very much unclear.

gr8lover
12-16-2012, 01:13 PM
The rule is very much unclear.

I would bet it is only for those cars that can run 11.50 or better from the factory...... it would suck to by a zr1 and cant event take to the track..... those cars are built for high speeds..... I cannot beleive they would let a 2008 ford focus go almost to 9's without at least a cage,..... someone could add crap loads of power to it and it is surely not safe at those speeds....

i really think they will clear up the rule and specify certain cars that truly come from the factory at those speeds.... which arent many!!

either way, I guess i am at 135mph mark so it doesnt really matter anyway....

wreckwriter
12-16-2012, 01:22 PM
Appears that the rule will apply ONLY at specific event where the "Street Legal Style" class is being run. Obviously it will apply only at NHRA tracks, IHRA not yet making any rule changes to match this. DOT tires will be required. Registration and insurance will be required. Oddly it appears Nitrous will be allowed too. There are a lot of questions in the racing community about the intelligence of this rule change due to safety aspects.

Daniel Linnett
12-16-2012, 01:40 PM
What is not safe about nitrous?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GeorgeInNePa
12-16-2012, 03:09 PM

Not so fast...

The rule includes the word, "unaltered". They managed to be as ambiguous as possible with the wording and left out any hints.

The word on the street is that Tech Inspectors are going to err on the side of caution and follow the letter of the rule.

Stay tuned...

GeorgeInNePa
12-16-2012, 03:11 PM
I would bet it is only for those cars that can run 11.50 or better from the factory...... it would suck to by a zr1 and cant event take to the track..... those cars are built for high speeds..... I cannot beleive they would let a 2008 ford focus go almost to 9's without at least a cage,..... someone could add crap loads of power to it and it is surely not safe at those speeds....

i really think they will clear up the rule and specify certain cars that truly come from the factory at those speeds.... which arent many!!

either way, I guess i am at 135mph mark so it doesnt really matter anyway....

The ZR1 and a H/C/I LS3 C6 are the same car. One is as safe or unsafe as the other.

gr8lover
12-16-2012, 03:18 PM
The ZR1 and a H/C/I LS3 C6 are the same car. One is as safe or unsafe as the other.

not the same car.... many difference... brakes are different, many body panels are different, many other differences that most people dont see....

its not just the engine thats different....

gr8lover
12-16-2012, 03:20 PM

and i guess comparing the c6 to zr1 wasnt my main point.... even the c6 is darn safe compared to other cars.... c6 is made for speed.... compared to a focus is what i meant... a focus thats modded to go 11 seconds needs extra safety stuff....

wreckwriter
12-16-2012, 04:28 PM
You really see a fiberglass car as being safe in a 140 mph rollover?

GeorgeInNePa
12-16-2012, 04:44 PM
not the same car.... many difference... brakes are different, many body panels are different, many other differences that most people dont see....

its not just the engine thats different....

The brakes really don't matter on a drag strip, after a certain amount of braking power. Race brakes are typically 11", the base Vette has more brake than that.

The body panels mean nothing on a Corvette. The body shell is the same.

gr8lover
12-16-2012, 06:01 PM
The brakes really don't matter on a drag strip, after a certain amount of braking power. Race brakes are typically 11", the base Vette has more brake than that.

not sure what your point is?.... i guess we could start a "whats different between a zr1 and c6"... but i dont think thats necessary... my point was stated in a earlier post... point was trying to highlight that a zr1 is safe at 11.4..... and others are not... (i didnt bring up a c6.... it would also be safe.)... body shell is not the same btw... do you mean frame?... body shell is different in that the zr1 has many carbon fiber panels and c6 doesnt... and there are many more differences that are not highlighted many places unless you know corvette engineers....i guess i will have to tell some of my coherts that they are charging too much for the zr1 cause its basically the same........ again, not the point.... but still i wont sit back and have someone say its the same.... sorry

gr8lover
12-16-2012, 06:15 PM

just curious where you get your info from?... i love internet info... :)

just for your information the ZR1 has a aluminum frame structure... and these c6's have steel frame.... i would say that would not be considered the same.... but still.... i wouldnt say it would make the c6 less safe... but just hate people correcting me especially when they are spouting stuff from who knows where...

GeorgeInNePa
12-16-2012, 10:51 PM
not sure what your point is?.... i guess we could start a "whats different between a zr1 and c6"... but i dont think thats necessary... my point was stated in a earlier post... point was trying to highlight that a zr1 is safe at 11.4..... and others are not... (i didnt bring up a c6.... it would also be safe.)... body shell is not the same btw... do you mean frame?... body shell is different in that the zr1 has many carbon fiber panels and c6 doesnt... and there are many more differences that are not highlighted many places unless you know corvette engineers....i guess i will have to tell some of my coherts that they are charging too much for the zr1 cause its basically the same........ again, not the point.... but still i wont sit back and have someone say its the same.... sorry

My point is that one Corvette is the same as the next, as far as safety.

They all pretty much look like this, don't they?
http://www.zorly.com/images_corvette/09-06-08/Corvette%20C6%20Z06%20Chassis%20and%20Suspension%2 0-%20z06zone.jpg

Will you be more safe in a ZR1 when you hit the wall at 130MPH, as opposed to a base C6?

Also, you don't agree that drag racing brakes are smaller and lighter than OEM brakes?

GeorgeInNePa
12-16-2012, 10:53 PM
just curious where you get your info from?... i love internet info... :)

just for your information the ZR1 has a aluminum frame structure... and these c6's have steel frame.... i would say that would not be considered the same.... but still.... i wouldnt say it would make the c6 less safe... but just hate people correcting me especially when they are spouting stuff from who knows where...

So then, you agree with me?

PS,
Would it be better/easier if I said Mustang GT and GT500?

-Ray-
12-17-2012, 02:51 AM
Not so fast...

The rule includes the word, "unaltered". They managed to be as ambiguous as possible with the wording and left out any hints.

The word on the street is that Tech Inspectors are going to err on the side of caution and follow the letter of the rule.

Stay tuned...

I'm going as fast as I can. Now that my car is faster than the old rule for bars, I'm hoping this will delay my need for a bar.

Even so, it was worth posting.

gr8lover
12-17-2012, 12:35 PM
So then, you agree with me?

Yes I agree with you....:)... but my point was mistaken.... I just brought up zr1 would be safer going higher speeds than other cars..... and I didnt mention the c6... you did... I meant cars like the cobalts, and 08 mustangs, and the 08 g8's.... and the 08 impalas.... etc..... so I think we are talking the same thing, but got off the point a bit.. :)

TooManyHobbies
12-17-2012, 01:54 PM
I'm going as fast as I can. Now that my car is faster than the old rule for bars, I'm hoping this will delay my need for a bar.

Even so, it was worth posting.

I am hoping to get a little more leeway during test n tunes because of this. There are some other interested local parties pushing for some clarification on this.

saltyrodz
12-22-2012, 02:10 PM
You really see a fiberglass car as being safe in a 140 mph rollover?

Yes I do. It is designed to dissipate the energy not transfer it to the passenger compartment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Devilish34
12-22-2012, 02:16 PM
Just posting this here since there are two threads going with this topic..

I contacted Jim Halsey from Cecil about the rule change..

Jim,

My understanding of this rule is 2008 and newer unaltered(no modifications ) is allowed to run without a bar up to 9.99 135mph... Is this correct? If so does this allow an owner of the car to use drag radials/slicks or do they need to be on stock or equivalent tire?

Thank You

John

We don't have the specific details yet, but what we are being told is must be 100% stock. No chips, programmers etc.

Tune only vehicles will be hard to catch unless it's a GTR.. Those cars can be pushed pretty hard with the right tune