PDA

View Full Version : I wonder if I'm screwed...

darkan
07-06-2011, 08:02 AM
A while back, I had the TCM reprogrammed due to the horrible downshifting hesitation. I don't remember the TSB number, but they did it no problem.
Here's where I might be in trouble. I have a Superchips Cortex, and I put the stock tune in before I took the car in to get the TCM reprogrammed.... But stupid me didn't uninstall the damned thing so the stock tune FROM BEFORE I GOT THE TCM DONE WAS STILL IN THE TUNER. So what happened when I reflashed with the Cortex? I totally lost the tune and it's shifting like crap again. I sort of mentioned to the dealer that I was having problems so they looked in the system and said "Well, we've already fixed it."
So, is there any way I can get this reflashed? Maybe take it to a different dealer? Or am I just out of luck?

SRG963
07-06-2011, 08:38 AM
Just a little confused.

I put the stock tune in before I took the car in to get the TCM reprogrammed.... But stupid me didn't uninstall the damned thing so the stock tune FROM BEFORE I GOT THE TCM DONE WAS STILL IN THE TUNER

So your saying, that you returned your car to the stock tune, took it in to the dealership, they flashed it, then you reinstalled the performance tune from the Cortex?

What tune did you loose?

darkan
07-06-2011, 10:07 AM
You know how when you first install your Cortex, it 'downloads' the stock tune to the unit so that you can reflash to stock? That tune was saved when I installed the Cortex. I never disassociated it from the car before I had the flash done at the dealer, so it never got a copy of the new tune. So when I went and flashed back to stock later, I lost the new tune from the dealer. I should have uninstalled the tuner before taking it to the shop, then re-learned the new tune.

Throwing the word tune around is almost confusing me. Sorry if this isn't very clear.

Seattle09GT
07-06-2011, 10:20 AM
I don't know if you're "screwed" but you definitely should have removed the Cortex tune before the dealer flashed it. Lesson learned - I always remove my tune before any dealer service - even if it is just an oil change, never know what they might do while it's in there and rather not have to deal.

darkan
07-06-2011, 10:43 AM
I took the performance tune out, and put the stock tune back in. But the very next time I flashed to stock, it went to the original stock tune and not the one the dealer modified. I think that's a better way to explain it. I'm just wondering if I could maybe take it to another dealer to have them reflash. Maybe I could talk them into it somehow. "The other dealer SAID they did this, but I don't know.... Can you doublecheck?" Something like that. I just don't know if they'd go for it.

And yes, definitely lesson learned.

SRG963
07-06-2011, 11:01 AM
First, how do you know what "stock" tune was loaded? Dealership's don't typically "modify" the stock tune settings, they just reload the latest version and reset adaptive shifts.

If you did things correctly (which it sounds like you did), when you go to tune the car, the Cortex will download your latest "stock" tune.

It sounds like you did everything right to me. You still can use the Cortex to program your car to the stock tune or the performance tune correct?

darkan
07-06-2011, 11:12 AM
OK, either I'm not understanding the way it works or I'm not explaining myself correctly. I'll try again.
When I first installed the Cortex, I hadn't had the TSB for the shifting done. The Cortex made a copy of my stock tune at that point.
When I went to get the TSB done, I put the stock tune back in but I never disassociated the Cortex from my car. So it still had my original tune.
I got the TSB done, and went home and flashed back to the 91 octane map.
Later, for some reason, I flashed back to stock. However, since it never downloaded the new map from when I had the TSB done, it flashed the ORIGINAL tune back in, from before I had the TSB done.
My understanding is that I should have completely unpaired the Cortex from the vehicle before having the TSB done, and reinstalled it afterward - at which point it would download the new 'stock' tune with the new shifting maps or whatever they did to it.
Now, since I didn't do that, it's as if I never got the TSB done. I still have the factory tune in the car, because that's what was saved on my Cortex. What I'm wanting to do is unpair the Cortex from the car, have the TCM reprogrammed again, then install the Cortex and let it copy THAT tune over as the stock tune.
My ability to put things into words is sometimes lacking, I hope I was better able to explain that time.

gr8lover
07-06-2011, 11:39 AM
You could always take to a different dealer.... and just say that you needed the TSB done on it.... if they say its already in the computer system that you had it done already... just tell them t check and redo it..... (we all make mistakes... even dealers....(maybe moresoo for the dealers... :) ) you should be ok....

Fatdaddy
07-07-2011, 02:29 AM
You could always take to a different dealer.... and just say that you needed the TSB done on it....

This won't work. Reason is that GM won't pay for it twice. Now if YOU offer to pay for it, you might prevail on some dealer to do it for you. Of course they will ask way to many questions as to your reason why. If all that doesn't go well, you may be screwed.

bjhayes
07-07-2011, 08:44 AM
I thought that each time you used the Cortex to tune a vehicle it first would copy the current 'stock' tune from the ECM/TCM into the flash memory of the tuner... Then you would be able to proceed with applying a Superchips tune from the tuner onto the ECM/TCM. If you then came back later and returned it to 'stock' from the Cortex it would put back the 'stock' tune it last copied from the ECM/TCM.

When you flash back to stock from the Cortex you are actually un-registering the car from that tuner. Otherwise you would not be able to use that tuner on another vehicle.... (unless you bought the upgrade for 2 vehicle programming)

Is this not correct??

I12XLR8
07-07-2011, 11:15 AM
I am not familiar with how the Cortex tuner works - can the files be emailed like the Vector tuner? If so just get it from someone else.

If not, I'm SURE that another Texan would allow you to user your Cortex on their car once they return it to stock. copy their stock tune, then you can install that on your car. I had shifting issues with mine just after I got it and the dealer changed my tune as well. Luckily for me I had not yet ordered my tune so didn't run this risk.

Even if you had to drive a few hours to get to someone I think it would be worth it (as opposed to losing dealer support for the transmission)...

An final option would be to borrow someone's Vector PowerCal and one of us can send you the file you need if the owner doesn't already have it (you might have to buy the tune from them if borrowing violates their Rules of Use).

gr8lover
07-07-2011, 12:58 PM
This won't work. Reason is that GM won't pay for it twice. Now if YOU offer to pay for it, you might prevail on some dealer to do it for you. Of course they will ask way to many questions as to your reason why. If all that doesn't go well, you may be screwed.

Depends on the dealer.... If you say you still have the issue.... they look it up and see you have the old tune... then they will figure the last dealer screwed... up.... beleive me... its been done before :).... depends on how you approach it.... and it may work for sure... it worked for me.... but I guess you know I dont know shit....