PDA

View Full Version : DashHawk Thread - Tips, Tricks, and Traps

TomPierce
12-27-2008, 05:39 PM
Santa brought me a DashHawk for Xmas - I would like to start a DashHawk thread on how to use this fine piece of electronics

So I'll contribute the first one -

Trap - if you plug in the DashHawk to an car that is turned off, it will stay awake forever (!) trying to find the CAN. Once you turn the car on and then off, it will find the network then shut itself off, but if you never turn the car on after plugging it in, the DH will stay awake forever.

Contribute your tips and tricks and traps to share with the other members of the forum.

wreckwriter
12-27-2008, 05:42 PM
Tip- be sure to upgrade to latest version and firmware

TomPierce
12-31-2008, 06:55 AM
Dash Hawk Trap -

The unit remains electrically active even after you turn the car off - users on the Dashhawk forum have reported that (the pre-2.5.1 firmware version) draws enough to drain the battery in 4-6 weeks if left unattended.

The latest (and final) firmware version is supposed to draw 2/3 less current than older versions - and remember you can download the firnware and update your unit if necessary.

G8GT721
12-31-2008, 07:29 AM
What has everyone been doing for mounting locations? Up by atari guages, or in front of shifter, on the dash?

Cashed
12-31-2008, 10:48 AM
I made my own mounting bracket out of 1/8th inch aluminum and put it just in front of the shifter in the cubby hole below the radio. It is easy for me to read there and it stays out of the way.

Chewy
12-31-2008, 10:50 AM
Link to firmware update page!

http://www.dashhawk.com/downloads.html

:)

Blackrider
12-31-2008, 10:57 AM
I placed mine down by the shifer with a piece of 1 X 1 X 1/16 Angle aluminum which I bent slightly to get the perfect angle.

http://forum.grrrr8.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=475&stc=1&d=1230749639

G8GT721
12-31-2008, 11:00 AM
I made my own mounting bracket out of 1/8th inch aluminum and put it just in front of the shifter in the cubby hole below the radio. It is easy for me to read there and it stays out of the way.

I placed mine down by the shifer with a piece of 1 X 1 X 1/16 Angle aluminum which I bent slightly to get the perfect angle.

velcro?

Blackrider
12-31-2008, 11:25 AM
velcro?

From the Dash Hawk to the bracket yes, from the bracket to the cubby quick remove double sided tape.

wreckwriter
12-31-2008, 11:41 AM
I used a Sirius radio mount. Attached to that is a holder for a Blackjack cell phone. Fits great. This pic only shows my Sirius mount, the one for the DH is the same and is mounted just below this one.

Cashed
12-31-2008, 12:50 PM
From the Dash Hawk to the bracket yes, from the bracket to the cubby quick remove double sided tape.

I have mine set up just like Blackrider.

rclinton
01-02-2009, 11:10 PM
If you are using a Vista operating computer and If you have USB connection problems after installing the UPDATED 2.5X software and dashhawk drivers, and your Dashhawk wont connect, here's what you have to do to have the DashHawk run properly .... Run the UPDATED download from the MSD website. Without the Dashhawk connected.

http://www.dashhawk.com/downloads.html

1. Go to the ACTUAL PROGRAM file (not the short cut) by navigating to: c:\Program Files\DashHawk V2\MainApplication

2. RIGHT Click on MainApplication

3. In the PROPERTIES dialog, click on the Compatibility Tab

4. CLICK ON THE CHECKBOX for "Run this program as administrator"

Click apply and ok then reboot your computer. When it has rebooted connect the Dashhawk via the USB port and the drivers will be installed. Open dashhawk software and look for connected icon on the lower left. Dashhawk will turn from red to green

This will allow the DashHawk software to access the USB port.