PDA

View Full Version : air pan for hood scoop

wreckwriter
06-27-2011, 11:20 AM
Going to put a scoop on my hood soon. Looking for ideas on some sort of air pan to seal to the hood and put the air in my blower intake. There's lots of stuff available for carburated cars but can't find anything that looks adaptable to my situation. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks!

-Ray-
06-27-2011, 02:04 PM
What kind of scoop? Centered or offset?

wreckwriter
06-27-2011, 02:24 PM
http://www.eharwood.com/catalog/product.php?productID=363

centered. Need something similar to airbox piece in this pic:

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/hrdp_1003_2011_pontiac_trans_am/photo_03.html

-Ray-
06-27-2011, 05:14 PM
I know my son in Calif could fabricate something, but he would need a hood and the scoop.
I guess you could always make a template where you are going to open the hood. I did see a G8 in one of his FB photo's, so someone he knows owns a G8.

travis gore
06-27-2011, 05:16 PM
the TA scoop looks like a good idea

-Ray-
06-28-2011, 02:11 AM
I sent you a pm Tom.

locrzn#92
06-28-2011, 02:44 AM
Maverick man could also do it since he's already done the carbon hood and grille surround

-Ray-
06-28-2011, 08:37 AM
Maverick man could also do it since he's already done the carbon hood and grille surround

I don't see him making a one off custom air pan for Tom's G8. Not that he couldn't do it.

wreckwriter
06-28-2011, 09:10 AM
I don't see him making a one off custom air pan for Tom's G8. Not that he couldn't do it.

Me either.

SpeedRacerX
06-28-2011, 11:51 AM
Tom, I spent some time doing some research on this. Couple of thoughts...

1. Can you contact the company that made that one for the TA and see if they can make another one OR have a prototype or imperfect one laying around that they'll sell??

2. Searching the Net using "procharger, hood scoop, shaker", etc shows a bunch of different ideas but nothing really jumped out at me other than something from CDC (shaker adapter for Procharger) that Mustangs use a lot.

3. Custom fabbing something could be the way to go.

A) VegasNate might be good for something like this. He seems to be able to whip up custom molded plastic parts easier than anyone I've seen.

B) How about this crazy idea...it is sort of ghetto but might work. Get one of those oval/circular but short height oil drain recycling plastic containers. Let that be the adapter that will seal from hood scoop at the top and mount to the motor at the bottom. Cut the proper hole in the driver side and run the right intake tube to the Procharger.

Here's a crude mock up of what I mean. Please don't be offended that I would suggest you using something like this. Just thinking outside the box.

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu40/SpeedRacerXPB/ScooptoPCPrototypev1.jpg

wreckwriter
06-28-2011, 12:24 PM
The TA part is not available, tried. I have a couple options working now, something will come through.

I'm not offended at all, its good thinking but I think my pie pan fuel pump cover is enough as far as using parts that aren't intended for cars :)