PDA

View Full Version : G8 @ Doug's Shoreline Cadillac

Seattle09GT
06-26-2011, 09:08 PM
Had the P0601 issue two more times; including at Greenwood so I dropped the car off their and put the keys in the drop slot.

Don't know if anyone has dealt with their service department for a G8; but I will share on how things go.

The last two times the P0601 code has appeared with the back to stock tune. Everything I've read says the ECM is toast and needs to be replaced. The CEL turned off just before I got to the dealer and dropped the car off, I hope they don't play the, "no CEL no problem," game. The second time this happened Cat was driving and she didn't have the strength to steer the car unpowered.

I've read generally good things from people nationally about having their G8s serviced at the Cadillac dealer, and Doug's is the closest surviving GM dealer to my house.

Sephiroth
06-27-2011, 02:31 AM
I presume you made an appointment or at least called someone?

Seattle09GT
06-27-2011, 07:24 AM
I presume you made an appointment or at least called someone?

Impossible on a Sunday - just dropped it off - the G8 basically limped in. I guess worst case scenario is they tell me to F myself.

Seattle09GT
06-27-2011, 08:13 PM
They are servicing the car - but no resolution. They asked me what kind of gas to put in the car (87 or 91) after they road test; never been asked that before so already impressed by the Cadillac approach (either that or they aren't sure if 91 octane is required, but I'll try to be optimistic!!!)

Seattle09GT
06-29-2011, 09:02 PM
Well, Murphy's Law is in full force with my G8. Yup, they see the P0601 codes in the history but they have repro and of course after two days of driving my G8 around no dice. They are holding on to my car to trying and get it to break tomorrow. I don't blame the dealer, it is just typical car tech when it won't break for the dealer. I'm going to go in in the AM and talk to a tech and give them some guidance on how to possibly repro.

Seattle09GT
06-30-2011, 09:57 AM
Stopped at Doug's this AM and took one of the guys with me on a drive. In 17 minutes I got the car to die twice; the second time he was, "are you sure you don't want to call a tow truck."

Limped it back to the dealer with the check engine light on - P0601 error again. Now that they have seen it I figure I'll get my new ECM.

08G8V8
06-30-2011, 10:12 AM
Bummer Dave.....hope they can get you up and running soon.

Seattle09GT
06-30-2011, 12:06 PM
Ehhh, not the easiest thing to recreate. You have to get the engine to operating temperature then drive as if you're on 520 bridge or I-5 Friday afternoon stop and go traffic. We found some side streets in MLT and did the simulated stop and go traffic, after about 10 minutes the car died. Started to drive back to the dealer, got stuck behind someone crawling and the car died again. Tech wanted to call a tow truck, I told him as soon as we get to I-5 we're fine. Drove it back in manual mode to keep the revs up.

Others have had the P0601 error here (done a search) and a new ECM is the fix. I made sure to flash mine back to stock before dropping it off so I don't have issues with reprogramming. I don't think the Cortex tune had anything to do with this, as I've been running one for two years. I just think the ECM went south.

I really hope there is one in stock somewhere locally, I really want to have the G8 for the 4th of July weekend.

Seattle09GT
07-01-2011, 10:54 AM
They've confirmed it is the ECM. They are installing and programming the new one today, car will be ready at 3:30 PM. So for the record, Doug's appears to be "mod friendly."

Seattle09GT
07-01-2011, 08:27 PM
Car fixed, returned to me vacuumed, washed, wax, tires dressed and a bottle of water in the center console. Valet drove the car up to me, service adviser walked me to the cashier and explained to me everything they did, asked if I had any questions, and explained all paperwork. I could get very use to Cadillac service.