PDA

View Full Version : How did you mount your Ipod?

RyaNCSU1
12-26-2008, 01:11 PM
Just got one for Christmas and am debating the best way to hook it up. Particularly going through the various mounts available and none seem very appealing. Crutchfield doesnt show one custom fit to our cars.

Was curious what the rest of you have done. Did you use entirely seperate controllers? Just standard cables and left the ipod loose? Or did you rig up some universal holder with standard cables?

Thanks for the help.

RyaNCSU1
12-26-2008, 07:07 PM
No one?

wreckwriter
12-26-2008, 08:26 PM
I think we're not ipod types maybe?

My wife has one but I don't. She plugs hers in the aux port on her Acadia and just puts it in the cubby.

SLVRG8GT
12-26-2008, 09:35 PM
Google proclip they have a number of mounts for the G8. :woohoo:

GT-610
12-27-2008, 04:21 PM
velcro,baby! works awesome,takes 10 seconds,and I looped the wire along the trim of the radio so no one can even see it untul it pops out at the ipod connection.
its mounted on the left side ,6 inches above the radio

TheTugBoat
12-27-2008, 04:28 PM
i just plug it in to the aux and leave it in the tray opposite of the e-brake by the shifter...sits nicely in there and i can pick it up and move it to change songs...i'm lazy and dont like leaning forward to the centerstack (im 6'5" so the seat is dropped to the ground and all the way back). get a 1ft cable and its perfectly fine. anything mounted up on the dash i take off when i park overnight so with the garmin and the v1 i dont want a 3rd thing to have to unmount and put away.

eliteautosport.net
01-25-2009, 11:31 PM
Ive been wondering the same thing i can't think of any good places to mount mine.

Slizzo
01-26-2009, 01:19 PM
iPhone user here. I place my phone in one of two places, the aformentioned "cubby" or space on the passenger side of the center console, opposite of the handbrake, or (and this works excellently), I put it in front of my center stack display (atari gauges) on one of those rubber no-slip mats. Phone doesn't move an INCH no matter what I'm doing. Accel from a hard stop and nothing, doesn't budge at all.

I still need to get an iPod jack for the phone though, still using a straight headphone cable to jack the phone into the front AUX input.

VegasNate
01-26-2009, 03:40 PM
Here is my latest Ipod setup.I made a custom plug in the center console cubby hole.

Pics at the link: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3212761

Tate
01-26-2009, 04:26 PM
VegasNate,
Does your iPod play at a lower volume level then the radio or CD player? I have this issue but your plug from the iPod to radio is a lot more beefy then mine.
Thanks,
Tate

VegasNate
01-26-2009, 05:51 PM
It doesn't seem to play at a lower level. By using the large data plug it automatically sets the ipod volume to half and then make adjustments with main stereo volume control. It doesn't sound bad. At this moment, the one you can see plugged into the front aux is not being used. Everything is connected to the rear aux right now until I get my VMOD system back from the manufacturer. More on that later...............

eliteautosport.net
01-26-2009, 06:41 PM
I got my ipod cable today and just set my ipod in the ashtray sport

bjrbm13
02-22-2009, 03:11 PM
Posted this on another tread here hould have done it here.

I found this at Radio Shack the other day. I was having a hard time about making anyholes or cutting into the dash for mounting the iPod. The holder charger is a stiff wire that holds the iPod almost at radio height and it plugs into the power plug right below the radio. It was 43 dollars at the store. It works, for me quick and simple. Dont want it any more or want to hide it just unplug it. Griffin TuneFlex AUX. Also much better sound from the iPod thru it.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/tuneflexaux

majesticix
02-22-2009, 04:33 PM
I use the TuneFlex as well. Only problem is it doesn't hold the iPhone up too well. Way to heavy. Even my iPod classic swung all over the place...it gets worse over time :)

iPod nano though works great with it.

The problem I found was not the actual arm (which is quite nice), but the jack itself and the iPod clip. The jack would rotate about 10-15 degrees around most turns. To fix that, I twisted it so that my 3.5mm jack cable presses up against the inside of the dash.

Next up was the iPod clip that would rotate as well because the iPhone is really heavy (not as much of a problem with the iPod classic). The clip has intervals to which it "snaps" in place. The snap doesn't hold well for the iPhone. I think it has about a 150 degree radius to snap, so I just turned it until it wouldn't snap any more and adjusted the arm so I could still use the iPhone. I've attached a pic that sorta illustrates it (I was displaying my New Era Bezel piece)

http://forum.grrrr8.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=810&d=1232817947

Again, this mount is perfect for the nano. Depending on how you place it, it can move a bit with the iPod Classic. For the iPhone, I wouldn't recommend it, but I already bought it so I mine as well try to use it. Sound quality is great though. Don't have to worry about adjusting the volume from the iPod and the clarity is great.