PDA

View Full Version : I Really Enjoy the G8 Rarity

SpeedRacerX
06-23-2011, 05:09 AM
I was driving south on the New Jersey Turnpike on Tuesday after work (think NYC to Philly) and in my immediate vision of cars in front of me and behind me, there were 5 BMWs!!!

If there were 5 G8's spaced that closely together, we would call it a G8 meet, cruise, or car show....

I keep things like this in mind when I get flash thoughts of getting rid of my car. It's so nice to drive something "different" than the rest of the herd.

travis gore
06-23-2011, 05:20 AM
If there were 5 G8's spaced that closely together, we would call it a G8 meet, cruise, or car show...

that is the truth. the most local we have had is 6 or 7

I12XLR8
06-23-2011, 05:22 AM
I agree 100%! BMW's, although great cars, are all over the road and no one even bothers to glance at them unless it's something strange (6 series, for example). My car ALWAYS gets looked at as many people have NEVER seen one before...can't say that about much else out there.

And it's fast!

Monty
06-23-2011, 05:39 AM
I've been to 6 or 7 meets and shows this year and I'm the only G8 there. Everyone does the same thing, they stand in front of the car, put their hands on their hips and say "Damn shame GM killed off the Pontiac."

I12XLR8
06-23-2011, 05:55 AM
I've been to 6 or 7 meets and shows this year and I'm the only G8 there. Everyone does the same thing, they stand in front of the car, put their hands on their hips and say "Damn shame GM killed off the Pontiac."

You know, I might get into trouble for saying this...but I'm kind of glad that GM killed off Pontiac. It's for purely selfish reasons as if they would have kept going they would keep putting bigger and faster engines in the G8, offered supercharged models, etc and I would no longer have the best Pontiac ever made (IMHO).

Call me a heathen but I'm OK with keeping my car unique for as long as I want to drive it.

SpeedRacerX
06-23-2011, 06:04 AM

You mean like last night's show when you made me park mine far away so yours would be the "only" G8 there. Just kidding. I did have bird poop on mine so it was probably for the best that I wasn't near the "show" cars.

G8 GT V8
06-23-2011, 07:49 AM
You know, I might get into trouble for saying this...but I'm kind of glad that GM killed off Pontiac. It's for purely selfish reasons as if they would have kept going they would keep putting bigger and faster engines in the G8, offered supercharged models, etc and I would no longer have the best Pontiac ever made (IMHO).

Call me a heathen but I'm OK with keeping my car unique for as long as I want to drive it.

I agree. Now I don't have to worry about upgrading to the newest/latest and greatest G8 model year ;)

TooManyHobbies
06-23-2011, 08:09 AM
I agree. Now I don't have to worry about upgrading to the newest/latest and greatest G8 model year ;)

You do have to worry about upgrading to another round of mods though! :devil:

mtolivecracker
06-23-2011, 09:13 AM
everytime i see a G8 on the road i jump out of my seat and say "hey look, a G8!". people(girl mainly) think im crazy. but a G8 sighting is a rare occasion, and a pleasant one too.

Monty
06-23-2011, 09:35 AM
you made me park mine far away .

I didn't make you park over there. You stopped to talk to that guy and he made you park there.

Monty
06-23-2011, 09:36 AM

You Sir are a heathen, But I totaly agree.

09Stryker
06-23-2011, 09:52 AM
I usually find both myself and the other G8 driver looking at each going. WTF, there really is another person who drives one. I also get odd looks when I wave and the other driver has no clue why I'm waving at them.

I12XLR8
06-23-2011, 10:07 AM
everytime i see a G8 on the road i jump out of my seat and say "hey look, a G8!". people(girl mainly) think im crazy. but a G8 sighting is a rare occasion, and a pleasant one too.

Testify!

I usually find both myself and the other G8 driver looking at each going. WTF, there really is another person who drives one. I also get odd looks when I wave and the other driver has no clue why I'm waving at them.

This is so true! I recently gave up a bike to get the G8 so am still used to the motorcycle 'community' when on the road. I ALWAYS wave at oncoming G8's (not that it happens often) and I'm sure they think I 'm warning them of a speed-trap or something. I'm sure most of them bought a A-B car and are annoyed to see another one on the road.

Only once have I come across a G8 driver that was curious about me...we passed each other on a busy road in front of a mall that I turning into and I wave at him. He did a double take but was past me before he could react. I dropped off the wife at the entrance as it was pouring rain and found a spot to wait in as the kids were sleeping in the back. After a minute or two I see the same G8 prowling up and down the parking lot! I assumed he was looking for a spot but when he came into my lane and saw me at the end of the row he drove straight towards me and stopped behind the car, blocking me in. I tried to wave through the tint as it was raining so hard I didn't want to roll down the windows but he couldn't see me.

He must have assumed that I was in the mall as he slowly drove away, left the parking lot, and continued back on the main road. I could hear that he had done something to the exhaust but not sure if anything else was done. Here was my one chance to finally meet another G8 driver and it was rained out. DAMN!

G8 GT V8
06-23-2011, 11:21 AM
You do have to worry about upgrading to another round of mods though! :devil:

LOL - true, but still cheaper than buying a new car every few years and throwing mods at it :)

JoeSyko
06-23-2011, 12:24 PM

I know what you mean. I'm the same way. I always seem to spot them while I am in my company vehicle on my way to & from work. My GF (who is usually reading or playing with her phone while I'm driving) has gotten to the point that when I point one out, she just looks up, does the whole "yes dear, I see it." shtick and quietly goes back to what she was doing. I guess I'm just a big kid.

Eidolon
06-23-2011, 12:55 PM
Yup, I agree. Owning a G8 really is like being part of a club. I do run into owners that don't feel that way - and they don't wave back :p - but I love owning a car that's actually something special. The whole "fast" and "V8" parts help, too. ;)

G8GT721
06-23-2011, 02:18 PM
I hate when that happens^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HVYCHVY
06-23-2011, 05:06 PM
It is cool owning a kinda rear car. THe most G8's I've seen at once was two others. I thought there was supposed to be a car show so I head out that way after work. I'm sitting in the left turn lane and see a LR G8 pull up in the opposite direction. I couldn't tell if it was a he or she, just that they have goofy white framed shades on. It looked as if it didn't care there was another G8 across the way, just doing it's thing. I check the mirrors and see another LR G8 sbout 3 cars back to my right heading straight. When the light turned, I gave the first G8 a wave, but he/she blew me off.

A few weeks back I went to the track for the first time with the 8, and I was the only G8 I saw. My buddy said a dude and his woman was checking out my car, and the gal went to the rear of the car to see what it was. I guess the bareAssness of it confussed her as my buddy said she gave her boyfriend a shoulder shrugg. hahahaha We went cruise later and I didn't see any at the cruising spot either.

Executor999
06-23-2011, 06:52 PM
I agree with the title of this thread and since I grew up on Pontiac and this is the last one, I'm probably keeping it for life. Heck, I'll probably get buried in it. :)

TonyKarter
06-24-2011, 10:49 AM
I went to NADA.com last week. A 2009 with 34k on it is still worth over $27K. Not bad! 2009 GXP w/ 34K on the odometer is still worth over $34K. I wish I would have waited on a GXP.

-Ray-
06-24-2011, 12:35 PM
I enjoy it as well.

texn884
06-24-2011, 06:57 PM
I had a couple in a new Lexus LS300 Black go by me the other day and they both almost snapped their necks to figure out what the hell I was driving. Priceless.
Most people that have out cars have them as a car to drive. I see others on the road and falsh them the lights and some wave and others think I am some pervert or car jacker.

Most people that see my car at the hotels aske me what it is and I always tell them it is a Holden and that keeps the talking going and everyone really likes the car.

My car will go many many miles and since I am not hard on her she will last for a long time and even with some repairs and paint it will run for many years to come.

AVIDMOTION
06-24-2011, 07:22 PM
There is never a day some on either asks me about it or someone nearly has an accident staring at it. I have had people at a light get out and knock on my window.(4 times now!) Every gas station attendent compliments me. Its pretty much constant. Weird is how hard it is to get a little light to light race action. People rather talk about it then race it. I got to go all the way to Mexico to get a good race! teehee

ULTRA Z
07-31-2011, 02:46 PM
I drive mine from central Mississippi all through Louisian and parts of east texas and have only seen about 9-11 defferent G8s just out of luck when i'm in gulfport that makes 4 blue 2009 G8 GTs with sunroofs lol how rare. i love my car

ULTRA Z
07-31-2011, 02:54 PM
Oh speaking of rare a friend of my friend has a G8 Firehawk in the naboring town i went to see it last time home very nice and crazy strong

wreckwriter
07-31-2011, 02:59 PM
The main thing that sucks is the aftermarket abandonment of us in favor of the Camaro. It pisses me off when I see the options they have for items like glass hoods. One more year and we would have had those options; now we have shit.

STL_G8GT
08-01-2011, 02:32 PM
The main thing that sucks is the aftermarket abandonment of us in favor of the Camaro. It pisses me off when I see the options they have for items like glass hoods. One more year and we would have had those options; now we have shit.

True... frustrating... but the rarity is cool. At the same time, sure seems to be a lot of board members jumping ship. I know each has said they'll stick around, but we know how that goes...

RED ONE
09-14-2011, 06:04 AM
I wish! Where I live there are at last 12 in my town alone. Then again I am surrounded by 3 Bases.

texn884
09-14-2011, 04:55 PM
Not many by me, but its fun to see another drive by.

I12XLR8
09-14-2011, 06:25 PM
I rarely see G8's up here. Guy at a car show tonight, however, tells me that there are hundreds for sale on the internet! I ask him how many are in Canada and he draws a blank. Haters gonna hate.

They really are quite 'rare' in Canada.

mgm6.0l
09-15-2011, 05:50 AM
I like the rarity as well. When I bought the car my cousin liked it so much he went and bought one and so did a friend lol

blackbuick1987
09-28-2011, 08:34 AM
I have seen a few G8's running around my area but I have yet to see another PSM G8.

-Ray-
09-28-2011, 02:34 PM
I have seen a few G8's running around my area but I have yet to see another PSM G8.

I see one of those all the time.

travis gore
09-28-2011, 04:29 PM

I see one of those all the time.

me 2 :)

msb7144
03-25-2012, 08:52 PM
I actually consider how rare the car is before I buy it. Had an "04 Bonneville GXP of which they only made roughly 14,000 of them over the 3 years of production. I also had (and kick my own ass for selling) an '04 Cosmos Purple GTO of which they made (that color) for one year with the total # around 700.....1/2 auto and 1/2 6 speeds. I WANT IT BACK!!!!!!! I do love my GT though and its kinda like a 4 door GTO.

OrangePeelNM
03-26-2012, 12:22 PM
This is true. Whenever I drive my Ignition Orange GT I get plenty of looks and jaws on the floor!! I have only seen 1 other Ignition Orange locally and about 5 G8's total!!!

matthewo
03-26-2012, 05:49 PM
I enjoy it too, cause its a sleeper and usually only a trained eye really notices. Its also great that they are holding their value, and parts are still easy to get cause so many are made overseas, and it has a pretty common drive train.

What more could you ask for

Eidolon
03-26-2012, 06:02 PM
What more could you ask for
Penske coilovers. :(

texn884
03-28-2012, 03:42 PM
I use to work for Penske Truck Leasing and got a chance to see the Indy race shop, way cool.

86cutlass350
03-29-2012, 02:28 PM
there arnt many of them built but i see anywhere from 5 to 10 of them a week when its nice out (gt's and non gt's)
i gess there is just a bunch of them around the chicagoland area.

TonyKarter
03-29-2012, 04:33 PM
At the same time, sure seems to be a lot of board members jumping ship. I think it is in part a product of over modding. The more modding you do the farther away you get from the original car you fell in love with. Remorse slowly sets in over some of the snap modding decisions you made JUST because you were just itching to mod something! and had time on your hands, but not any real money to spend on real quality mods like high-end wheels, or forced induction. Rattle-can paint this, just because you can and had time, not because it was a good decision. Plasti-dip that. Mod something Man! Just to be modding. Murder it out. No overall, well considered plan. You planned on the fly.

And now...there it is, that ugly bitch that sits in the driveway.

Like that Hollywood celebrity that is addicted to plastic surgery...I mean, she's still a G8 and all, but she doesn't look.....well,..........right. Does she?

Like that motel coke-whore you had fun with, who obviously you rode too hard too often, and put away wet too many times, who spent $10,000 of your money an eightball at a time, and you are not wanting to admit to yourself that you might be just a little resentful and just a little bit remorseful...when really deep down inside you know you could have controlled yourself and ultimately it was your own fault. You could have saved your money and bought some quality mods from Greg, or Paul, or Patrick. But you didn't. You thought you were building Charlie's or Nate's car. But you weren't. You pissed it away $20-$50 at a time, a dime bag habit. Now you don't want to be around that bitch anymore. For many a constant unwanted reminder of something nowhere near the fine car they once owned, or the one they envisioned they were going to have when they got finished. Ultimately, modding remorse sets in. Remorse over all the money wasted. And they know it ain't ever going to be that fine car again. Nothing like that pristine 8700 mile MGM for sale on that other thread, huh? After a while it hurts to look at it. Rather than have to look at it every day they sell it and move on.

Not to mention you've cratered the resale value of your G8...and in the process contributed to, nay, quickened the overall devaluation of the entire gene pool.

I've been around a long time compared to most of you. I've seen it done many times way before this forum even existed, and have done it once or twice to myself. Terrible feeling it is. It is the natural course of divestiture of things over-modded. Ask me how I know. You think there may be a reason that Procharger has sat out in my shop for fifteen months now uninstalled? Some things like Vararam's and LT's alter her character a little, make her a little meaner, but she's still the same girl you fell in love with. Other things like a Procharger (and Crack), she ain't never gonna be that same girl again.

I know I'm hitting close to home for some of you...and I apologize. Still this is part of the reason some of the people who became our good friends are no longer on here. What a pity. It saddens me to think of the good times we had during 2008-2009 in discovery on this forum, and where have our old friends all gone. I miss the old days.

texn884
03-29-2012, 04:48 PM
I think you are on to something Tony!