PDA

View Full Version : Trade in for an LSA CTS-V

MoonPie
06-21-2011, 05:27 AM
Alright, I have a 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP and may have the opportunity to trade in on a new CTS-V. My only concern would be reliability with the LSA as a daily driver and the fact that my car is the only one of it's kind I have seen in person, I've not seen more then 1 or 2 CTS-V's in my area either. I know of some with a GXP that made the switch. What'd you guys think?

AVIDMOTION
06-21-2011, 05:41 AM
Either way is a cool ride. I would stay with the GXP for it's true uniqueness, reliability, mpg and overall significantly cheaper to maintain. With that said what do you want for your GXP? I do have two friends with older Cts-v's(bought new) and they are fanatics with maintenance, cleanliness and detail. Neither one is perfectly happy with the overall car. Multiple odd stuff, axles, electric problems, under hard accel nearly turns into the next lane, wiper problem, constant bulbs blowing, odd tire wear, high pitched whining sound from the trans, rear clunks, trunk leak, paint flake, exhaust leak etc etc etc all fixed but what a pain in the ass.....good luck with either choice you will be happy

mi04se1
06-21-2011, 06:12 AM
Expect to pay double or triple on parts for the Caddy when its out of warranty.

MoonPie
06-21-2011, 06:25 AM
These are some good points to consider. I'm very hesitant about making the switch, otherwise I wouldn't have asked for opinions. I just like my GXP so much, I feel like it's right where I want it to be with the exception of some lowering springs, HID's and window tint. Hell, those are things that can be done over the weekend. It would have to be one sweet, once in a lifetime deal. I mean really nice.

-Ray-
06-21-2011, 06:28 AM
Don't do it! I'd die for an M6 G8. Or your run of the mill A6 GXP. ;)

Daniel Linnett
06-21-2011, 06:48 AM
If you can swing it I would drop my G8 with all its mods today for a new caddy CTSv

WickedMom
06-21-2011, 07:10 AM
I am currently working (as we speak er type)on a LSA CTSV TVS2300 upgrade that will fit under the stock hood.

popsicle
06-21-2011, 07:13 AM
Tough choice. GXP's are a rare item. Kinda makes you want to hold on to that baby

travis gore
06-21-2011, 07:24 AM
keep the GXP. the only reason for me to trade to a CTS-V would be for the manual. Both cars would be great to have and you will always see fewer and fewer GXP's

WickedMom
06-21-2011, 08:06 AM
G8s are nice, but they are in no way a Cadi. I would trade my G in on a CTSV in a heart beat and not look back once.

vic2186
06-21-2011, 08:46 AM
Ctsv all day...put our car to shame mod for mod..they can run 10s with bolt on practically and are stealthy as hell..it has luxury performance all in one..factory blower what else? Lol

Look up D3 cadillac

bjhayes
06-21-2011, 08:59 AM
CTS-V in a heart-beat! Power, luxury, and style would trump rarety any day for me.

Eidolon
06-21-2011, 09:26 AM
I'd take the whole-chassis modifiability and affordability of my GXP over the luxury and factory performance of a CTS-V. Frankly, I just don't think the CTS-V is worth that much. Interior niggles in my G8 bother me enough already, and long term reviews of the CTS mention that it does develop interior niggles as well, such as rattles and loose panels. They'd annoy even more if you paid an additional $30,000 for them.

I'd stick with the devil you know.

Sent from my HTC Incredible using Tapatalk

wnt2gofst
06-21-2011, 09:37 AM
Tough choice. But I agree keep the GXP.

VegasNate
06-21-2011, 09:54 AM
I am currently working (as we speak er type)on a LSA CTSV TVS2300 upgrade that will fit under the stock hood.

Ohooooooooo! :) need details on this

MoonPie
06-21-2011, 12:19 PM
Putting it to bed, keeping my GXP

Steveo9043
06-21-2011, 12:39 PM
Putting it to bed, keeping my GXP

Think you made a good choice. Now with the extra money you just saved MOD MOD MOD

MoonPie
06-21-2011, 12:41 PM
My wife's making babies so it's binge drink drink drink for me now

WickedMom
06-21-2011, 12:57 PM
You have a LSA CTSV?

Jason @ Lingenfelter has all the details... but more or less its a bolt on manifold up replacement with the 2300 -- options for either LSA heads or LS7 :)

WickedMom
06-21-2011, 12:58 PM

babies? as in more than one? LOL. My 4 month old likes it in my car, I suppose its the supercharger whine that puts him to sleep.

MoonPie
06-21-2011, 01:35 PM
Naw, just making baby right now, but it's not the last for sure

G8GXP4now
06-21-2011, 02:55 PM
Car seats BARELY fit into the back of my CTS-V sedan. It was so easy to get them in/out of the GXP.

Since you mentioned baby, I'd say keep the GXP. they are holding their value nicely anyways.

bwooten492
06-21-2011, 04:21 PM
G8s are nice, but they are in no way a Cadi. I would trade my G in on a CTSV in a heart beat and not look back once.

This.

Whitey72
06-21-2011, 04:36 PM
If I wanted a small back seat and trunk I wouldn't have gotten the g8 to begin with. Nice car and outclasses the 8 but not by double the price. Gm cuts corners whenever and wherever they can. Going to have the creaks and rattles at some point anyway

texn884
06-21-2011, 04:42 PM
I like te CTSV but I really love my G8. You don't see them on every corner like all the other popular cars.

I had a Black Lexus LS300 drive by me yesterday and the couple almost broke their necks looking at my car trying to figure out what the hell is was driving. PRICELESS FOR LOTS LESS GREEN BACKS.

Darkside
06-23-2011, 12:22 AM
I'd take a V over my G8 any day of the week if I could get fair value out of it. I know I won't so I'll get a V to park next to it instead.

vert
06-24-2011, 06:25 AM
It would be a hard decision since the G8 GXP's are rare, now if was my G8 and I had the choice, BYE BYE G8.

Anrosphynx
06-24-2011, 03:25 PM
I actually almost bought a CTS-v instead of the GXP. Couple reasons why I didnt.
1) Space. The G8 is just so much bigger than the CTS. It can definitely hold WAY more in both back seat space and trunk volume.
2) Stick- both are stick, so that was a wash.
3) Performance- i drove both before buying the GXP. While the CTS-v is obviously faster, i knew that go fast parts were readily and cheaply available for the gxp.
4) Exclusivity- living in SoCal (Orange County, to make it worse), I knew that it was significantly different from the everyday 5 series, E-classes, and Lexuses that hoard the roads out here. I wanted something very different, and very distinctive. GXP definitely fit the bill.
5) Looks- ok, this is subjective, but i prefer the looks of the GXP to the CTS-v. While the CTS-v has an aggressive stance, some of the overplay of the front and rear fascias both me.

exesivefire
06-24-2011, 05:31 PM
God I would hate to have to make that choice... I won't even look at prices of used gen2 cts-v because I know better.

I would regret dumping the gxp, but god I love the v

MoonPie
06-24-2011, 05:40 PM
Yeah, CTS-V was extremely tempting. But I had been initially apprehensive because the GXP satisfied everything I wanted in a car. I also was weary of a supercharger on a daily driver. Coupled with the fact I never, never see a G8 GXP anywhere reenforced this. Plus, the deal was an extreme long shot. Kinda destiny. 0% rules too. I ain't paying that off for shit man. Letting someone else pay for it until I feel like buying her. Probably in about 3 years.

exesivefire
06-24-2011, 05:56 PM
Just keep it, buy a v after it's paid off...

At least that idea has sounded good in my head for a while.

Funny thing, I own my car because the previous owner wanted a v more...

Crazy8
06-24-2011, 08:45 PM
I think your making the right decision. I want a V, but I couldn't give up my GXP to get it. There's a reason they are holding their value.

69project
07-07-2011, 07:21 PM
Well if you get a CTS-V Coupe they will only make a couple thousand of those a year so they are equally rare as a GXP. If you want rarer get a CTS-V Wagon, those are supposedly only made to order and have read they will only make about 900 a year. Now, about 3 months ago, I met up with a CTS V Sedan on the way to work. Lets say, that think totally embarassed my GXP, so if Horsepower is your thing then a V is the way too go. I have sat in V's in car shows and must say the GXP (which I really like mine) is a blunt instrument compared to the V. I guess that's the difference between a $32k car and $65k car. So...speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?

texn884
07-07-2011, 07:42 PM
The CTS-V is a GRRRR8 car but I Love my Holden. It keeps getting better every week and puts a smile on my face everyday when the car gets looks and people wondering what it is, Priceless.
It may not have all the goodies but it has just enough to keep me happy.

I think the car is made better because it was made in the land of OZ. I am all for American made cars and this is the first not made in the USA car and I Love it. Go Holden & Australia & the USA.

99-LS1-SS
07-08-2011, 12:56 AM
If I would have gotten a CTS-V before the GXP I would still have it. It's a lot nicer inside and the ride is better. But, if you're happy with your GXP there's no reason to switch.

wyldman
07-18-2011, 03:47 PM

Shouldn't you be helping her? ;-)

MoonPie
07-18-2011, 05:18 PM
Shouldn't you be helping her? ;-)

I helped her a whole fucking lot

1meand
07-19-2011, 04:43 AM
The CTS-V is the only car I would get rid of my GT for, but if I had a GXP I would keep it for sure. Of course I would spend the money to make the GXP as fast or faster than the V though. I grew up driving a 66 GTO, so I don't really care as much about comfort as I do speed and power.

texn884
07-19-2011, 05:37 PM
V8 Power rules