PDA

View Full Version : Gas Cap Help!

STL_G8GT
06-13-2011, 07:16 AM
Guys...

This morning I made a call over to my local dealer inquiring about the gas cap issue. In the past I have tightened down the cap and made the CEL go away, however I got tired of dealing with it. It threw the code Friday night and I let it stay up all weekend. This morning I called and told them the deal, and then explicitly asked if I could just bring the car by, they verify the CEL and the loose cap, and order a new cap for me. I was told yes.

I arrived at the dealer, and the second question was "are you going to need a ride somewhere". When I told him I was told that I would be in and out once they verified the CEL and the loose cap, he said that wasn't the case. He explained that they would have to verify the code, and then hook the car up to a machine to smoke the entire evap system to verify there are no other issues. I reiterated with him that this has gone on for a while and everytime I tighten the cap, the CEL goes away. It made no difference.

I got to the point that I just told them I would order my own gas cap. I went up to parts, and asked about it, and the parts guy said they could order it. I asked if this model was the updated one, and he said he would need service to verify that. I told him I would get the model number of the new gas cap and call him back with it. It's going to cost me about $20.

My wife threw away the letter that I received from Pontiac about this, however I was able to find the PN online that the letter references... which is P/N 92251462. When I asked him about that, he told me the cap that their system tells him to order for our car is a different part number than what the letter said. I asked again if he could verify the succession of parts and maybe the one is the system is a "newer" revised version, and he stated he would order what the letter said to order.

Does anyone know, definitively, which part number should be ordered for a faulty gas cap as of TODAY... has there been a revision to the revised cap?

Would it be worth my time to get reimbursed through GM for this cap? Car has 26k miles, and I've dealt with the gas cap issue for the last 10kish on and off.

I12XLR8
06-13-2011, 07:27 AM
The only thing they mention is that your cap should have blue writing on it and be the part number that you listed.

This the bulletin that I have:

2009 Pontiac G8 V8-6.0L
Fuel Filler Cap TSB Title: 10283 11/09/2010 Campaign - Fuel Tank Filler Cap Warranty Extension

SPECIAL COVERAGE

Bulletin No.: 10283

Date: November 09, 2010

Subject: 10283 - Special Coverage Adjustment - Fuel Tank Filler Cap Leak

Models:
2008-2009 Pontiac G8

Condition

Some 2008 and 2009 model year Pontiac G8 vehicles may have a vapor leak at the fuel tank filler cap. If the leak becomes large enough, it may result in a diagnostic code being set and the illumination of the Check Engine Light on the instrument cluster. On vehicles built after November 2008 a check fuel cap message may also be displayed on the instrument cluster.

Special Coverage Adjustment

This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.

Dealers are to replace the fuel tank filler cap. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after November 10, 2010, are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to November 10, 2010, must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

Vehicles Involved

Involved are certain 2008 and 2009 model year Pontiac G8 vehicles built within the following VIN breakpoints:

Important
Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using the Applicable Warranties section in the Global Warranty Management system.

Parts Information

Parts required to complete this special coverage are to be obtained from General Motors Customer Care and Aftersales (GMCC&A).

Customer Notification

General Motors will notify customers of this special coverage on their vehicles (see copy of typical customer letter included with this bulletin - actual divisional letter may vary slightly).

Service Procedure

New Design, P/N 92251462, fuel tank filler cap has blue writing

Old design fuel tank filler caps have either flue symbols or white writing.

1. Check if either of the following DTC's have been logged (may be present or in history)

- P0455 Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System Large Leak Detected
- P0442 Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System Small Leak Detected

- If above DTC's are present or in history and the vehicle is NOT fitted with a 92251462 fuel tank filler cap (blue writing), proceed to Step 2.
- If the above DTCs are present or in history and the vehicle IS fitted with a new design 92251462 fuel tank filler cap (blue writing), refer to Evaporative Emission System Diagnostic information in SI prior to replacing fuel tank filler cap.

2. Remove the fuel tank filler cap and tether; discard both.
3. Install a new fuel tank filler cap and tether.
- For Canadian vehicles fit label 92233087 to the inside of hinged fuel door.
4. Clear DTCs and check system.

Warranty Transaction Information

1. Submit a transaction using the table below.

* The amount identified in "Net Item" should represent the dollar amount reimbursed to the customer.

Customer Reimbursement - For US

All customer requests for reimbursement for previous repairs for the special coverage condition will be handled by the Customer Assistance Center, not by dealers.

A General Motors Customer Reimbursement Procedure and Claim Form is included with the customer letter.

Important
Refer to the GM Service Policies and Procedures Manual, section 6.1.12, for specific procedures regarding customer reimbursement and the form.

Customer Reimbursement - For Canada

Customer requests for reimbursement of previously paid repairs to correct the condition described in this bulletin are to be submitted to the dealer prior to or by November 30, 2011. Repairs must have occurred within the 10 years of the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, or 193,000 kilometers, whichever occurs first.

When a customer requests reimbursement, they must provide the following:

- Proof of ownership at time of repair.
- Original paid receipt confirming the amount of unreimbursed repair expense(s) (including Service Contract deductibles), a description of the repair, and the person or entity performing the repair.

If the work was done by someone other than a GM dealership, the amount of reimbursement will be limited to the amount that the repair would have cost GM to have it completed by a GM dealership.
.................................................. ..............................
Owner Letter

November 2010

Dear General Motors Customer:

As the owner of a 2008 or 2009 Pontiac G8, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us.

This letter is intended to make you aware that some 2008 and 2009 model year Pontiac G8 vehicles may have a vapor leak at the fuel tank filler cap. If the leak becomes large enough, it may result in a diagnostic code being set and the illumination of the Check Engine Light on the instrument cluster, or on some vehicles, a check fuel cap message may also be displayed on the instrument cluster.

Do not take your vehicle to your GM dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition as described above.

What We Have Done: General Motors is providing owners with additional protection for the fuel tank filler cap. If this condition occurs on your 2008 or 2009 model year Pontiac G8 vehicle within 10 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge. Diagnosis or repair for conditions other than the condition described above is not covered under this special coverage program.

What You Should Do: When refueling your vehicle, always store the fuel cap by placing the tether over the tab on fuel door as shown in the illustration below. Never secure the fuel cap by the tab on the end of the cap.

If you believe that your vehicle has the condition described above, repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special coverage must be performed by a General Motors dealer. You may want to contact your GM dealer to find out how long they will need to have your vehicle so that you may schedule the appointment at a time that is convenient for you. This will also allow your dealer to order parts if they are not already in stock. Keep this letter with your other important glove box literature for future reference.

Reimbursement: The enclosed form explains what reimbursement is available and how to request reimbursement if you have paid for repairs for the special coverage condition. Your request for reimbursement, including the information and documents mentioned on the enclosed form, must be received by GM by November 30, 2011.

If you have any questions or need any assistance to better understand related repairs, please contact your dealer. If you have questions related to a potential reimbursement, please contact the appropriate Customer Assistance Center at the number listed below.

We are sorry for any inconvenience you may experience; however we have taken this action in the interest of your continued satisfaction with our products.

Jim Moloney

General Director - Customer and Relationship Services

Enclosure

STL_G8GT
06-13-2011, 07:40 AM
Thanks for the details on the letter, I really appreciate it. I told him to order the part number from the letter, lets hope that fixes it.

Anyone else away of PN changes?

swimman
06-13-2011, 09:27 AM
I had mine replaced a few months back. Old one had the blue writing, new one has white. The repair order shows part # 92232541 which is the replacement cap. Have had no CELs since the replacement about six months ago.

STL_G8GT
06-13-2011, 06:39 PM
I ordered the cap via the TSB from Greg, hopefully ill be back in biz!

hulkss
06-13-2011, 07:56 PM
I had mine replaced a few months back. Old one had the blue writing, new one has white. The repair order shows part # 92232541 which is the replacement cap. Have had no CELs since the replacement about six months ago.

Same here.

USAFSahara
06-13-2011, 10:18 PM
Mine has blue logos and i still get the CEL all the dang time. Maybe it is somethin worse...

-Ray-
06-14-2011, 02:29 AM
I have a first 888 cap with blue logos and never had a emissions code.

todds87ss
06-14-2011, 07:25 AM
Mine has blue logos and i still get the CEL all the dang time. Maybe it is somethin worse...

see this...

Blue writing is bad. White is good!

sixt9stang
06-14-2011, 01:13 PM
The dealership in town here told me the same thing when I brought my car in even though I gave him the letter. Nobody there even knew anything about the letters and the gas cap. They told me I would have to drop the car off so they could hook it up to the smoke machine and everything. I still haven't got around to doing it. I will probably just order the cap and be done with it too.

STL_G8GT
06-14-2011, 02:58 PM
The dealership in town here told me the same thing when I brought my car in even though I gave him the letter. Nobody there even knew anything about the letters and the gas cap. They told me I would have to drop the car off so they could hook it up to the smoke machine and everything. I still haven't got around to doing it. I will probably just order the cap and be done with it too.

Super frustrating!