PDA

View Full Version : WOW, dynamat is awesome!

BobtheMonkee
12-23-2008, 06:59 PM
So im sure its been said a million times on G8 and other boards, but i had to post because i was one of the skeptics.

I spent most of the day installing a "bulk" box of dynamat into my trunk. Holy crap! i maybe hear about 30% of the drone that i used to have. I also left the pump out of the spare well. I could probably fit both of my 12's in there.

The bass is also much more clear and a lot louder with no adjustment, and a lot of the little rattles i got from loud base are gone.

now i just have to put some behind my rear license plate.

My hands definitely feel raw though...that stuff sticks like a motherforker

4BangR-X
12-23-2008, 08:05 PM
My hands definitely feel raw though...that stuff sticks like a motherforker

The edges can be real sharp too!

GRRRR8
12-23-2008, 08:44 PM
Very good stuff!

jbradsh1
12-24-2008, 04:39 AM
Can anyone help with where you can get the stuff? I figure it might just help make the car quieter still, even though I don't have loud mufflers. Also, it seems to me there was an install thread. Anyone remember that one? Thanks, and hey Merry Christmas everyone!

Slizzo
12-24-2008, 07:51 AM
Any outfit that sells car audio equipment will stock it. I still have a full roll that I bought from BestBuy like 4 years ago.

BobtheMonkee
12-24-2008, 08:28 AM
got my bulk pack from amazon.com...its fairly easy to come by.

definitely worth the effort tho. I have little cuts all over my hands :(

Mav
12-24-2008, 10:15 AM
pretty simple install? The paneling just snaps back into place?

Master8ter
12-24-2008, 11:17 AM
I swear by dynomat. The guys that really know about its advantages are never the car audio guys. My best dynomat customers are those building hot rods and custom cars, who use it everywhere to make the interior of thier hot rods sound like a Mercedes. Doing an entire car with dynomat will add some weight to it thoudh. Ive seen as much as 400 lbs added to a car.

BobtheMonkee
12-24-2008, 11:49 AM
this was my first time installing dynamat. It was kind of a PITA and quite tiring, but overall and easy job. the trunk carpeted panels were easy to remove and to re-install over the dynamat

i wish i had a dynamat roller...i just used the blunt end of a screwdriver to press the dynamat in.

cobrakid
12-24-2008, 01:34 PM
I installed a knock off brand from e-bay on just the rear shelf, and noticed a big difference.

Chewy
12-24-2008, 01:57 PM
I did this several months ago as well as throwing some cotton towels into the tire well. I kept the pump in there and also dynamated the plastic.

Worked VERY well!

Glad you're happy!

JMorris
12-24-2008, 10:27 PM
I almost made it with out a cut but in the end I ended up bleeding too.

RB Designs
12-25-2008, 03:10 PM
I have used HushMat for years and prefer it to Dynamat, easier to use and
doesn't get hard and dry up over time, they are both good though.
I haven't done my G8 trunk yet, but am planning to.

NDM
12-28-2008, 07:13 PM
I have used HushMat for years and prefer it to Dynamat, easier to use and
doesn't get hard and dry up over time, they are both good though.
I haven't done my G8 trunk yet, but am planning to.

The bulk pack of dynamat is butyl based and therefore will not get hard over time like the old regular dynamat did.......FYI....

SRG963
12-29-2008, 07:29 AM
Fatmat is another sound dampener. $140 for 100 feet on ebaY.
and wear some gloves when applying :)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts-Accessories___100-FatMat-Xtreme-Car-Sound-Deadener-Dynamat-Roller_W0QQitemZ120352679812QQddnZPartsQ20Q26Q20Ac cessoriesQQddiZ2811QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_T ruck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item120352679812&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A2|39%3A1|240%3A1308

MABG8er
12-29-2008, 11:40 AM
I recently used some Elemental Designs eDead v3... it's sort of a liquidish paste that you paint on, works great too. This stuff is way cheaper too, $50 for a gallon that you can easily do a whole car with. I'd say it's every bit as good as the Dynamat that we'd install at BBY. And like 20% of the price, though it does have a few drawbacks. For one, it's not so great for things like trunks and hatches since you paint it on, secondly you have to wait for it to dry which can slow you down a lot, thirdly it's REALLY not removable (typical mats are slightly removable, very slightly), and finally you can't use it to seal the door completely by covering any holes 0 you need a mat for that. Outside of that though, the stuff is great.

RAAMat is really good stuff too, I've heard good things about Second Skin as well. There was a nice write-up on a big comparison of all the different brands somewhere. Basically the top few ones were so close that it didn't make sense to spend the double or so on the Dynamat brand. I think they picked RAAMat as their overall winner, but can't remember for sure.

SpectreG8GT
01-14-2009, 02:59 AM
those installing it in the truck, are you installing it on the top or bottom of the rear deck? That seems to be where most of the rattle is coming from and I was tossing around the idea of slapping some dynamat on the underside to see if that would help at all.

would it?

SRG963
01-14-2009, 05:03 AM
those installing it in the truck, are you installing it on the top or bottom of the rear deck? That seems to be where most of the rattle is coming from and I was tossing around the idea of slapping some dynamat on the underside to see if that would help at all.

would it?

I will be applying it to the underside of the deck once it warms back up. To hard to get the stuff I have to bond good upside down with no heat, and a hair dryer aint cutting it.

TouchOfGray
01-28-2009, 10:51 AM
Don't know if this is in another thread or not, but are there any tricks or special tools that make taking the door panels and other trim off? The few times I've removed panels on other vehicles I have a hard time getting them back on as tightly. Also, any temp limits on this type of material. Surface temp above 40 degrees maybe? Thanks for any advice.
:)

SRG963
01-28-2009, 10:53 AM
Don't know if this is in another thread or not, but are there any tricks or special tools that make taking the door panels and other trim off? The few times I've removed panels on other vehicles I have a hard time getting them back on as tightly. Also, any temp limits on this type of material. Surface temp above 40 degrees maybe? Thanks for any advice.
:)

Yup, there are special tools that you can pick up pretty cheap so you don't harm the clips.

Not sure about temp, but I only work on my car when it's above 50 degrees.

TouchOfGray
01-29-2009, 04:19 AM
Yup, there are special tools that you can pick up pretty cheap so you don't harm the clips.

Not sure about temp, but I only work on my car when it's above 50 degrees.

Think you can find them at a regular parts store?

evilb
01-31-2009, 04:02 PM
Get the Dynamat Xtreme, the metallic silver stuff. The original is a huge pain in the ass to install, and each piece has to be heated with a heat gun. The Xtreme just bends and molds like silly putty. I love the stuff. I didn't do it in my RS4 when we did stereo because it's pretty damn quiet, but in my 2000 S4 and my 99 Cobra, we stripped the entire car and did every single section of metal that didn't already have OEM sound deadener on it.

It makes a HUGE difference in cabin noise, and is worth every penny.

Brad

BMR Sales
02-09-2009, 02:45 PM
Sore thumbs after this......
http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/97/l_29806080562a4dde7d3d30e24da85e3d.jpg