PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance intervals for....

grandprixrollsout
05-24-2011, 07:22 PM
Hi Guys,

As we are enjoying our cars maintenance is creeping up. I was wondering what everyone does for:

1) Brake fluid
2) Engine coolant. Also do you replace with dex or go with the green stuff?
3) A6 Transmission fluid flush
4) Rear diff flush
5) A/C recharge

I know for our transmissions that they are self sealed so the fluid is supposed to have a longer life, however it would be good to know what everyone is doing especially if you are running mods (ex. boost):thumbsup:

grandprixrollsout
05-24-2011, 07:23 PM
Oh and if i could also add to the list fuel injector cleaning & MAF/TB cleaning. Also what do you use....

redjeff
06-26-2011, 12:06 AM
1) Brake fluid- 3yrs or 30k
2) Engine coolant. Also do you replace with dex or go with the green stuff?- 5 yrs 100k and no keep dex cool. If flush it properly you will have no trouble
3) A6 Transmission fluid flush- 30k-36k
4) Rear diff flush-30k-36k
5) A/C recharge- you should do an a/c tune up every year, but never have to do a recharge unless you have a leak
6) Fuel service- 30k.....though I do mine every year. You wanna keep you induction system and injectors very clean for performance and MPG
Hope this helps

UGotSmkd
06-26-2011, 11:23 AM
2.) Dex-Cool only. The red / orange stuff.

STL_G8GT
06-26-2011, 11:33 AM
1) Brake fluid- 3yrs or 30k
2) Engine coolant. Also do you replace with dex or go with the green stuff?- 5 yrs 100k and no keep dex cool. If flush it properly you will have no trouble
3) A6 Transmission fluid flush- 30k-36k
4) Rear diff flush-30k-36k
5) A/C recharge- you should do an a/c tune up every year, but never have to do a recharge unless you have a leak
6) Fuel service- 30k.....though I do mine every year. You wanna keep you induction system and injectors very clean for performance and MPG
Hope this helps

Fuel Filter?

rjones916
06-26-2011, 12:21 PM
fuel filter is internal to the fuel pump assembly, so it really never is meant to be changed.

Napalm
07-05-2011, 12:03 PM
Hi Guys,

As we are enjoying our cars maintenance is creeping up. I was wondering what everyone does for:

1) Brake fluid
4) Rear diff flush
5) A/C recharge

I know for our transmissions that they are self sealed so the fluid is supposed to have a longer life, however it would be good to know what everyone is doing especially if you are running mods (ex. boost):thumbsup:

Brake fluid: change once per year, or per track event. I haven't tracked the G8 yet and i have only had it 3 months. so in the fall, fluid flush here I come
Engine coolant: I use the dex cool equivalent, and I will flush it next year. then every 2 years. I know, not exactly necessary but cheap insurance.
Transflush: my 8 had 58K on the clock when I bought her, so I had it done right then. I will do so again at 108K if I make it that far. the book says 50 K interval if under heavy load or hot conditions. memphis equals both.
Rear Diff: On my GTO I did every year, on this car I think I will do every other year. I plan to do mine in the fall.
AC recharge: I would call this a check, not a recharge. you should not need to mess with it. but you should check it occasionally and top it off as the compressor leaks down to oil itself. this is necessary. I would check it if it doesn't cool fast or every 2-3 years. My Personal pet peeve, no real reason.

Fuel injector cleaner with every oil change, which for me will be in the 5-6K range. maybe longer

jzpiano
07-05-2011, 01:52 PM
Brake fluid: change once per year, or per track event. I haven't tracked the G8 yet and i have only had it 3 months. so in the fall, fluid flush here I come
Engine coolant: I use the dex cool equivalent, and I will flush it next year. then every 2 years. I know, not exactly necessary but cheap insurance.
Transflush: my 8 had 58K on the clock when I bought her, so I had it done right then. I will do so again at 108K if I make it that far. the book says 50 K interval if under heavy load or hot conditions. memphis equals both.
Rear Diff: On my GTO I did every year, on this car I think I will do every other year. I plan to do mine in the fall.
AC recharge: I would call this a check, not a recharge. you should not need to mess with it. but you should check it occasionally and top it off as the compressor leaks down to oil itself. this is necessary. I would check it if it doesn't cool fast or every 2-3 years. My Personal pet peeve, no real reason.

Fuel injector cleaner with every oil change, which for me will be in the 5-6K range. maybe longer

I thought dexcool was good for 5 years and brake fluid can go every other year. I agree with the trans fluid at 50 though per the manual.

Sent from my EVO 3D

Kermit
07-05-2011, 03:58 PM
Jumping on the band wagon, what about the power steering?
I just installed new DBA's and SS brake lines so I flushed out all the old brake fluid and the reservoir looks nice and clear but my Power steering looks horribly black.
Should this be changed and if so, what kind of fluid and how would be the best way of doing it? The only thing I can think of is suck out as much old fluid as possible and fill up with new stuff. Don't know of any "bleeding" steps.

Napalm
07-11-2011, 12:15 PM
yes DEXcool should be good for 5 years or 100K. I live in the dirty south. OK the HOT, Dirty, Dusty, HOT, occasionally really cold, south.

Therefore I just call it cheap insurance. I know it sholdn't build up crap especially with a al head and block, but I find I had issues with my 97 SC'd Riv. So I just flush it out every 2 years. I would do green stuff, every year. I also used to track my GTO alot. so again, cheap insurance.

Also good call on the PS fluid. I suggest everyone changes theirs out as soon as they can if they never have. I again do mine about every 2 years.

BUT this is what I do. Instead of pulling the lines off the PS rack and letting it all drain out. I use a mityvac to suck out the resovior, and refill. EDIT: G8 needs to use DEX 6 ATF. Then I run the car for a week, and do it again.

The PS system recirculates the fluid. so you will get most of it. bigger point. replacement of the anitfoaming additives, and restoring the heat capacity. Not so much about the dirt, shouldn't be hardly any.

I believe, though not certain there is a filter on the pump on the return line. I could be wrong about that but there should be one somewhere.

SRG963
07-11-2011, 12:18 PM
Subscribed.

grandprixrollsout
09-15-2011, 08:35 AM
Anyone clean their maf yet or throttle body?

Napalm
09-16-2011, 11:05 AM
yes and yes.

I bought my car used though, so after installing a catch can, and while I was installing a intake, I cleaned the MAF and the throttle body.

texn884
09-16-2011, 01:15 PM
Yes if you can take the throttle body off you can really clean it like it was brand new. I did this when they started to take my engine apart a few weeks ago and I did it while watching.

44K is great stuff to use to clean the fuel system made by BG Products. Its like $22 buck a can but works real good just need to find a shop that sells it and you can go to
bgprod.com
:thumbsup:

laserred
10-06-2011, 02:33 PM
yes DEXcool should be good for 5 years or 100K.

You go 100k without changing dexcool, and half of it will be baked onto all of the water passages. While my brother was working at various GM dealerships, every car or truck that had 100k or over (some even less) had a layer of particulate entirely covering the insides.

Napalm
11-01-2011, 01:03 PM
100K miles, or more than 5 years. Mine has 73K and only 2.5 years old.

MR_JIZZ_G8
11-01-2011, 02:06 PM
anyone clean their maf yet or throttle body?

i haven't cleaned the maf but don't think there's a need to. Clean the throttle body at least every 30k miles. Please do not use anything but dex cool or equal on your car. Most newer gm vehicles are sensitive to the change to the green crap, and it is not for gm cars. If you do switch it eats through seals and gaskets and more prone to leak quick. I have seen it many times. Gm does not recommend you flush injectors, just as long as you use good quality fuel you'll be ok. I recommend chevron, it burns the cleanest with the techron the fuel has. If you want you can add a fuel cleaner/additive that your local dealer sells. It a 16oz fuel additive/treatment cost about 30 bucks, but good stuff.

MR_JIZZ_G8
11-01-2011, 02:11 PM
Hi Guys,

1) Brake fluid
4) Rear diff flush
5) A/C recharge

1) BRAKE FLUID i RECOMMEND FROM 50 TO 60K MILES
2) COOLANT BOUT 80 TO 100K MILES
3) TRANSMISSION FLUID 50 TO 60K MILES
4) REAR DIFF FLUSH 50 TO 60K MILES
5) I DON'T FEEL THERE'S A NEED TO SERVICE THE A/C UNLESS THERE'S A PROBLEM WITH IT
6) POWER STEERING FLUID EVERY 50 TO 60K MILES

MR_JIZZ_G8
11-01-2011, 02:18 PM
Our transmissions take dexron 6, gm recommends castrol saf for the rear diff. What i've posted is what gm recommends. Since i work at a dealer it kinda stays with you

texn884
11-01-2011, 07:27 PM
Heck just get a new engine like I got and I had the fluids flushed 2 times in 1500 miles, lol but it was sure a pain in the ass