PDA

View Full Version : Clarify better/best

GRRRR8
12-22-2008, 03:35 PM
I have had a rule since day 1 that you cant say better or best. I need to clarify so people dont take this the wrong way. If a product produces more power on a dyno, it makes more HP, so therefore it makes it better, but does the quality and workmanship match the other? That being said, we all have personal prefrences and for that reason there is no best, something better is always coming out, right? A vendor can not say best because that is a biased opinion. This site is for all info about all products that are available. Find a post where I say ARH is the best. I always speak of there customer service. I promote VMS as they have a great tune and the flexibilty with flashexpress. I dont say its better then HP Tuners. Vararam will make more HP then Roto-Fab, it doesnt make it better, it is a different design that produces more power. Our feedback to vendors/sponsors/manufacturers is what makes future products to be able to surpass the HP gains from the previous. HP alone is not what I look at. I will take 5 less HP for great customer service and a well made product. I hope this clears this up and I hope I dont have to go over this again.

rushhour
12-22-2008, 04:56 PM
I have had a rule since day 1 that you cant say better or best. I need to clarify so people dont take this the wrong way. If a product produces more power on a dyno, it makes more HP, so therefore it makes it better, but does the quality and workmanship match the other? That being said, we all have personal prefrences and for that reason there is no best, something better is always coming out, right? A vendor can not say best because that is a prejudiced opinion. This site is for all info about all products that are available. Find a post where I say ARH is the best. I always speak of there customer service. I promote VMS as they have a great tune and the flexibilty with flashexpress. I dont say its better then HP Tuners. Vararam will make more HP then Roto-Fab, it doesnt make it better, it is a different design that produces more power. Our feedback to vendors/sponsors/manufacturers is what makes future products to be able to surpass the HP gains from the previous. HP alone is not what I look at. I will take 5 less HP for great customer service and a well made product. I hope this clears this up and I hope I dont have to go over this again.

Well stated - the only thing missing in my opinion is that:

What works well for one combo is not necessarily good for another combo. Everything comes down to the combination of parts - to meet the desired results.

Everyone has to keep in mind say - a full blown set of ported 225 heads may make great power on a motor setup for it, but will run less then optimal on a stock engine.

Everything is about the final combination.

Just my 02.

Steve

99-LS1-SS
12-22-2008, 04:58 PM
Also, not everyone has the same goals regarding power, performance and sound.

rushhour
12-22-2008, 04:59 PM

Absolutely!

That is why you have to determine what your goals are (and be realisitic about them) then invest the time & energy in finding out what parts will get you there.

Steve

jnak
12-22-2008, 05:09 PM

And cost.

GRRRR8
12-22-2008, 05:27 PM
Well stated - the only thing missing in my opinion is that:

What works well for one combo is not necessarily good for another combo. Everything comes down to the combination of parts - to meet the desired results.

Everyone has to keep in mind say - a full blown set of ported 225 heads may make great power on a motor setup for it, but will run less then optimal on a stock engine.

Everything is about the final combination.

Just my 02.

Steve

110% correct! We all have opinions and I would never want to change that. I just don't want people that do not have our experience opinions to be altered due to false statements or statements that have no business being said. If something is real good, believe you me, people like me already know and endorse it. Just because we don't endorse something doesn't mean it is not equally good, it just means that we do not have any experience with it to form an opinion.

rushhour
12-22-2008, 05:58 PM
110% correct! We all have opinions and I would never want to change that. I just don't want people that do not have our experience opinions to be altered due to false statements or statements that have no business being said. If something is real good, believe you me, people like me already know and endorse it. Just because we don't endorse something doesn't mean it is not equally good, it just means that we do not have any experience with it to form an opinion.

Agreed - none of us has the ability to certify whether all of the products out there work.

To prevent the hyperbol and also bashing of good products which is the norm in other sites. Why not set up a section soley for members setups. Basically, they list everything they have done, with corresponding increases/decreases (yep - we all know this side of the equation) in performance. This way the members can look at what was done in total to the car to get it where it is. Then you as a member have 1 and only 1 thread allowed in the section (unless you go from NA to FI say). Maybe you split it between NA & FI. This way others can see what the various members have setup in an easy manner. No bashing allowed.

To give you an idea - I can document 1/4 times & speed with every change (good, bad & ugly) done to my GTO (I know not aplicable here - but it could show others)

Just an idea.

Steve

GRRRR8
12-22-2008, 06:01 PM
Our 1/4 fastest ET post is like that.

rushhour
12-22-2008, 06:20 PM
Our 1/4 fastest ET post is like that.

But I was thinking of more like a score card in 1 thread.

The structure I was thinking wa like this:

Steve (Rushhours) GTO:

1) Stock times
a) 1/4________
b) 1/4 mph _________
2) Added Diablo tune
a) chnaged trans setings by _____
b) 1/4 picked up by ______
c) DA (or temp etc where)_______
c) drivebility was excellent;
3) Added *** CAI
a) Tune was not changed
b) 1/4 increased by _________ (or dyno)
c) mph increased by __________
d) mpg decreased by __________

etc, etc

Now of course it takes some time by the thread starter to keep it up, but it may be useful. Since the other member can see what what differnt changes to a combo makes in one area. I guess the other key is to make sure that the member doesn't get bashed by others for their unique setup.

Steve

R.Penguin
12-22-2008, 06:53 PM
With that being clearly stated Charlie, I believe I can safely pronounce that the $66.00 exhaust mod was NOT the best!

:hang:

GRRRR8
12-22-2008, 06:59 PM
With that being clearly stated Charlie, I believe I can safely pronounce that the $66.00 exhaust mod was NOT the best!

:hang:

LMAO! Only you my feathered friend, only you!

GeorgeInNePa
12-23-2008, 01:49 AM
But I was thinking of more like a score card in 1 thread.

The structure I was thinking wa like this:

Steve (Rushhours) GTO:

1) Stock times
a) 1/4________
b) 1/4 mph _________
2) Added Diablo tune
a) chnaged trans setings by _____
b) 1/4 picked up by ______
c) DA (or temp etc where)_______
c) drivebility was excellent;
3) Added *** CAI
a) Tune was not changed
b) 1/4 increased by _________ (or dyno)
c) mph increased by __________
d) mpg decreased by __________

etc, etc

Now of course it takes some time by the thread starter to keep it up, but it may be useful. Since the other member can see what what differnt changes to a combo makes in one area. I guess the other key is to make sure that the member doesn't get bashed by others for their unique setup.

Steve

Many of our 1/4 mile threads are very similar to this, just no in so many words.

Chewy
12-23-2008, 06:06 AM
Stating that you think it's best isn't all bad. Just add IMO or IOO. (In My Opinion, In Our Opinion)

Adding why you think it's better is helpful as well. We're here to learn.

While one is better at one thing the other brand may be better at another. It all depends on what the consumer is looking for.

-Ray-
01-17-2009, 02:21 PM
Since the thread pitting intense and vector came up, I thought it would be a good idea to bump this thread.

GXPaycheck
01-17-2009, 03:20 PM
So I gotta stop sayin that Charlie is the BEST?

GRRRR8
01-17-2009, 03:38 PM
So I gotta stop sayin that Charlie is the BEST?

No. Thats your opinion. Now if you said I was better then someone, thats where problems occur.