PDA

View Full Version : Best overall budget summer tire?

MGMG8GT
12-22-2008, 07:54 AM
By budget, I mean I don't want to spend 400 bucks a tire. I'm starting my research in anticipation for replacing the tires in about 6 months. I will likely change out the wheels too.

I am willing to give up "maximum performance" for a quiet, long lasting tire.

I need an option for both the stock, 18" wheels, and a 20x8.5/20x10 set-up that I am pondering.

I am thinking of getting a staggered, 20" wheel setup -- so I would prefer not having directional treads.

I have some General Exclaim UHP's on my wifes car, which are good tires and reasonably inexpensive, but they have quite a bit of sidewall give.

Well -- any suggestions would be great.

Chewy
12-22-2008, 08:00 AM
I don't think "long lasting" and the G8GT go hand in hand...

Look for a high treadlife index and you'll be good to go!

Kumho makes a decent tire and a good price. They are a bit noisy IMO.

It all comes down to, you get what you pay for though.

Chris

MGMG8GT
12-22-2008, 08:22 AM
I've seen very expensive tires with supposedly high tread lifes, wear out in 10k miles.

I can get on Tirerack, and look at the most expensive tire on there and it might have the treadlife of a wet paper sack, despite the technical specifications.

I don't mind spending the money, but I want at least 30-40k miles out of a set of tires.

Chewy
12-22-2008, 09:04 AM
I've seen very expensive tires with supposedly high tread lifes, wear out in 10k miles.

I can get on Tirerack, and look at the most expensive tire on there and it might have the treadlife of a wet paper sack, despite the technical specifications.

I don't mind spending the money, but I want at least 30-40k miles out of a set of tires.

Hmm... I think that's wishful thinking but that's because I tend to like to have "fun" with my tires. I got about 50 out of my last set of all seasons on my Saturn Vue Redline which was pretty good IMO. I like corners though...:devil:

Atlas
12-22-2008, 09:14 AM
vredesteins.... http://www.vredestein.com/Banden_Bandtypes.asp?BandgroepID=1&BandtoepassingID=0&BandtypeID=3&PageID=2&Rimsize=19&UserSessionID=73

Chewy
12-22-2008, 09:28 AM
vredesteins.... http://www.vredestein.com/Banden_Bandtypes.asp?BandgroepID=1&BandtoepassingID=0&BandtypeID=3&PageID=2&Rimsize=19&UserSessionID=73

LOL The closest dealer to me (I'm in IA) is New Jersey! Well that's only about a 16 hour drive from here!

99-LS1-SS
12-22-2008, 10:05 AM
I'm like 4gasem on this one. Outside of the Tahoe that I have currently, I've never had a set of tires last more than 10-15K....ever! The only reason the Tahoe tires lasted 35K is because the Tahoe requires an oil slick on a sheet of ice to actually spin the tires.

Andy@Livernois
12-22-2008, 10:19 AM
I know you said you dont want directional... but the Nitto invo is a bad ass tire...

Atlas
12-22-2008, 10:28 AM
LOL The closest dealer to me (I'm in IA) is New Jersey! Well that's only about a 16 hour drive from here!

For some reason they are the only dealer listed, but there are others around the country... i know of a couple here in Jax... depends where you are...

tby
12-22-2008, 10:52 AM
I've been very happy with Falken's UHPAS and UHP tires on my AWD car, they are relatively inexpensive and to me offer the right balance between noise, comfort, performance, and tread life.

I get them from http://www.edgeracing.com/

R.Penguin
12-22-2008, 01:59 PM
Try these. Oh, wait.....you said "best". :p

The tires, made by China-based Hangzhou Zhongce Rubber Co., have an insufficient or missing gum strip, a rubber feature that helps prevent steel belts inside the tire from separating or from damaging the rubber.

p71
12-22-2008, 06:00 PM
I know you said you dont want directional... but the Nitto invo is a bad ass tire...

Invos are non directional (they are asymetrical so you have to mount them a certain way on the rim but they are non directional... you can still rotate them)... good tire from all I have read... down to these or BFGoodrich KDW for me.

Andy@Livernois
12-22-2008, 07:22 PM
Invos are non directional (they are asymetrical so you have to mount them a certain way on the rim but they are non directional... you can still rotate them)... good tire from all I have read... down to these or BFGoodrich KDW for me.

really? well I feel dumb... It's all that crazy tread design got my head all f'd up :D