PDA

View Full Version : painting intake cover questions

AVIDMOTION
05-07-2011, 07:11 AM
I want to paint my intake cover. Correct way I am sure is sand it and prime it then paint it. I dont have time for that. I want to paint it and put a few stickers or emblems on it. Nothing too fancy. I may cut the thing in half and paint the sides. If I cut out the center, I was wondering if it ok to cut out the black intake runner plastic shield and foam underneath. What would be the negatives to doing this? Just louder intake noise? Would the intake charge be hotter like the foam was insulating against engine heat or cooler without the foam holding in the heat? Any ideas, pictures or thoughts appreciated.

texn884
05-07-2011, 08:10 AM
It is not as easy as you think. That plastic is hard and when it heats up it sticks together on the blade. Try using a band saw and cut thru it all. I just took mine off and the engine looks alot better with it off IMO.

G8Headache
06-08-2011, 07:39 AM
I decided to paint mine at first and then eventually got rid of it, but I just washed it with soap and water, let it dry, Sprayed it with 3M Plastic Paint Adhesive(basically preps the surface, gets rid of oil and debris better then just soap and water) Then a light coat of Automotive primer and then hit it with 4 coats of Red VHT High Temp Automotive paint. Let it dry for about 24-28 hours and then you should be good to go.

Heres an after shot, sorry I dont have a before shot.
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/34945_139588562733823_100000480411683_322668_66603 89_n.jpg

texn884
06-08-2011, 01:53 PM
Looks good.

G8Headache
06-10-2011, 12:13 AM
Yeah not bad considering it was my first "mod" lol. I did that literally like 12 hours after I bought the car. Looks nothing like that now. But Still reminds me of when I first bought her.

CanadianEh
06-10-2011, 11:19 AM
Just give it a scuff with a scotchbright pad or something similar to make it somewhat rough, then wash it with some dish soap and water to get rid of any grease or oil. When you pick up your paint find some plastic adhesion promoter (makes the paint bond to plastic 10x better, spray it on and let it air dry for the recommended time) and paint. This is going to be the fastest and cheapest way of doing it while having it last, the outcome will not be the same as a good paintjob mind you. If you want it to come out a bit better get high build primer to put on before the paint and sand it smooth prior to putting on the color. If you want really good use a decent brand of base/clear paint over the primer and wet sand with 1500-2000 grit and buff.