PDA

View Full Version : Tire Road Hazard Warranty

SRG963
08-13-2008, 01:00 PM
A road hazard warranty is always a good idea especially with the price of our tires. A nail or staple threw the side wall or run up on the side edge of a curb hard and your out $300. I'm in no way affiliated with Discount Tire, but I have used them for years and they will sell you a road hazard warranty for your new car. Price may vary depending on your location, but it's around $200 which includes lifetime balance and rotation. I have my appointment for this Saturday http://forum.grrrr8.net/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif

Now go get your tires covered!

GXPaycheck
08-13-2008, 07:26 PM
Got mine done today. Fixed a tire and purchased warranty. Highly recommend it.
Wish I had know about it when I bought the car!

SRG963
08-16-2008, 06:34 AM
My tires are now covered with lifetime balance and rotation for less than $185 OTD :thumbsup:

Now it's time to celebrate :cheers::drunk::boobs::flash::rofl:

GXPaycheck
08-16-2008, 07:04 PM
My tires are now covered with lifetime balance and rotation for less than $185 OTD :thumbsup:

Now it's time to celebrate :cheers::drunk::boobs::flash::rofl:

Man, Charlotte is cheap! Raleigh was $215! Of course they had to repair my tire first. I can't complain about the price. Still HALF the cost of a new tire!

:repair:

EC-Ryder
08-17-2008, 06:13 AM
I was offered tire hazard insurance from dealer for rims and tires when I bought the G8. As a former seller and buyer many years ago of tire hazard warranties, I have mixed fillings on the subject.

Basically speaking, if the price is right and it can vary from season to season, brand to brand, it maybe well be worthwhile. If on the other hand it’s pricy, it maybe best to pass. One way to sort things out maybe to do a percentage of tire price vs price of warranty for all tires purchased.

Say for instance U pay 40.00 worth of warranty for 4 tires worth 800.00 then your insured cost is 5% which may be reasonable at least to me…Err…but not now a days I’m sure. LOL!

A few other things to keep in mind, the tire balance may not included on insurance replacement ($10.00) and the valve stem (5.00), new install may or may not be included.
Last but not least, the adjustment maybe done at the sales price or regular price. As a rule at least when I was in that business many years ago retail tire sales were always on “sale” when bought new, but adjustment of the hazard warranty was adjusted at the much higher “regular” price giving the insurance a sizable advantage.

As a rule I don’t buy it, but I’m not in the construction business or prone to more then 1 flats per set going back for as far as can recall, the money is still in the bank for just such a case.

But that’s just me!

Cheers!

SRG963
10-15-2008, 08:25 AM
:bump2: for new members

rclinton
10-15-2008, 01:58 PM
I will certainly buy from the tire rack when I need new tires. As I just shelled out 300.00 for a new tire ...800 miles into the new car it would have been a nice thing to have out the door.

JoeSyko
10-15-2008, 06:19 PM
I was offered tire hazard insurance from dealer for rims and tires when I bought the G8. As a former seller and buyer many years ago of tire hazard warranties, I have mixed fillings on the subject.

Basically speaking, if the price is right and it can vary from season to season, brand to brand, it maybe well be worthwhile. If on the other hand it’s pricy, it maybe best to pass. One way to sort things out maybe to do a percentage of tire price vs price of warranty for all tires purchased.

Say for instance U pay 40.00 worth of warranty for 4 tires worth 800.00 then your insured cost is 5% which may be reasonable at least to me…Err…but not now a days I’m sure. LOL!

A few other things to keep in mind, the tire balance may not included on insurance replacement ($10.00) and the valve stem (5.00), new install may or may not be included.
Last but not least, the adjustment maybe done at the sales price or regular price. As a rule at least when I was in that business many years ago retail tire sales were always on “sale” when bought new, but adjustment of the hazard warranty was adjusted at the much higher “regular” price giving the insurance a sizable advantage.

As a rule I don’t buy it, but I’m not in the construction business or prone to more then 1 flats per set going back for as far as can recall, the money is still in the bank for just such a case.

But that’s just me!

Cheers!

I gotta agree with EC here. I've been in the commercial tire biz (big rig truck tires) for 20 years but between companies I dabbled in retail for a few years.

My experience with Road Hazard Warranties left me feeling like they were a gimmick to get more $$$ out of the customer. I had very few customers actually take advantage of their road hazard warranty simply due to the fact that they never had the need for it. It's an insurance policy on your tires for "peace of mind".

EC's right...check the fine print of the warranty and weigh the cost & value. Many times, a replacement tire price will be calculated based on the amount of remaining tread you have and adjusted off a "List" price rather than your actual purchase price. Depending on how much tread you have left, you could actually pay the same price you paid at the time of purchase. Also, most of these warranties opt to repair first and replace as a last resort. It was my understanding that once a high performance tire is repaired, you lose the speed rating on it. This is not such an issue with the average joe or soccer mom but it might be for many of the people here who are testing their cars to the limits often. You repair a high performance tire, go out and run the shit out of it, have the tire blow causing damage or injury or God forbid worse...well...you get the idea.

It might just be better to set that money aside rather than give it to someone "just in case" you have a problem.

My 2 cents.

R.Penguin
10-15-2008, 07:55 PM
A road hazard warranty is always a good idea especially with the price of our tires. A nail or staple threw the side wall or run up on the side edge of a curb hard and your out $300. I'm in no way affiliated with Discount Tire, but I have used them for years and they will sell you a road hazard warranty for your new car. Price may vary depending on your location, but it's around $200 which includes lifetime balance and rotation. I have my appointment for this Saturday http://forum.grrrr8.net/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif

Now go get your tires covered!
+1

The first day I swapped the bridgestones out for the Michelin Pilot Sport AS I clipped a curb on a right turn. Ripped the right rear sidewall right out of the tire. These low profile Z rated tires are kinda delicate in the sidewall area. Roadside assistance hauled me to Discount and I was on my way in 20 min.

Blkg8gt
09-08-2009, 04:27 PM
its kinda sad i work for them and i still dont have the warranty yet lol

polo
09-08-2009, 04:48 PM
On one of my previous cars I had THREE tires replaced by Discount Tire because they weren't able to fix them. 2 of those tires were nearing the end of their life, but they swapped them out for brand new tires. Those tires were around $150 each.

After that, I'm a believer in buying the warranty. I seem to always pick up nails from the construction that's going on in Charlotte, so for me it's worth it.

That being said, I don't have the warranty on my G8's tires yet...