GFORCE1320
12-20-2008, 06:28 PM
Look what I snagged up on Ebay today.

Let the design work begin!

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c91/nicholscl/G8/G8Rearassembly.jpg

GeorgeInNePa
12-20-2008, 06:49 PM
Excellent.

I won't worry about taking the pinion yoke out of mine.

;)

GFORCE1320
12-20-2008, 06:57 PM
Remember George, you'll still get a smokin deal for the work you did on helping me out :)

I might have to start on a 9 inch IRS swap kit for the G8, It looks like it will be easier with the G8 than it is with the GTO.

GM_Fan
12-20-2008, 07:16 PM
I thought the G8 IRS was going to be better than the GTOs. What are the weak points that a 9 inch conversion would be be necessary?

GeorgeInNePa
12-20-2008, 07:27 PM
Remember George, you'll still get a smokin deal for the work you did on helping me out :)

I might have to start on a 9 inch IRS swap kit for the G8, It looks like it will be easier with the G8 than it is with the GTO.

Well, I really didn't do much, but I will certainly take you up on your offer.

Do you have an idea on a production date and general cost on a 9" IRS? Would it use the factory style axles, or something different?

GeorgeInNePa
12-20-2008, 07:32 PM
I thought the G8 IRS was going to be better than the GTOs. What are the weak points that a 9 inch conversion would be be necessary?

One thing is that gears are almost impossible to get. We are discussing a group buy from Holmart in Oz, because no makes gears here for our diff.

Another thing would be a choice of limited slip diffs, the factory one appears to be a little weak. If you watch Tune Time's car and the House of Boost turbo'd car, you might notice that every now and then they go "peg leg".

3rd, it would be NEAT. ;)

Of course, a 12 Bolt center section would be just awesomer (is that a word?), I'm from the "a 9 inch uses more HP to turn than a 12 bolt" camp.

GFORCE1320
12-20-2008, 07:34 PM

One of the most appealing things about a 9" IRS is the low cost of pats. $150. gears, all the posi's you could want, spools, you name it.
Plus you will be hard pressed to break the darn thing.

Well, I really didn't do much, but I will certainly take you up on your offer.

Do you have an idea on a production date and general cost on a 9" IRS? Would it use the factory style axles, or something different?

Well George, you did tear some stuff down for me and plus you introduced me to this fine forum.

I have no dates yet, I have a few other irons in the fire GTO parts development and then I'll get started on a 9" IRS kit for the G8.
I still have to finish it for the GTO.
I wont use factory style axles, it will use ones very similar to what I sell for the GTO.

Thanks
Chris

GFORCE1320
12-20-2008, 07:36 PM
One thing is that gears are almost impossible to get. We are discussing a group buy from Holmart in Oz, because no makes gears here for our diff.

Another thing would be a choice of limited slip diffs, the factory one appears to be a little weak. If you watch Tune Time's car and the House of Boost turbo'd car, you might notice that every now and then they go "peg leg".

3rd, it would be NEAT. ;)

Of course, a 12 Bolt center section would be just awesomer (is that a word?), I'm from the "a 9 inch uses more HP to turn than a 12 bolt" camp.

A 12 bolt is not out of the question, I have talked to Strange Engineering about a 12 bolt that will fit in the same case as the 9". It's a really cool deal, it comes out the front just like the 9" does.

GeorgeInNePa
12-20-2008, 07:38 PM
One of the most appealing things about a 9" IRS is the low cost of pats. $150. gears, all the posi's you could want, spools, you name it.
Plus you will be hard pressed to break the darn thing.

Well George, you did tear some stuff down for me and plus you introduced me to this fine forum.

I have no dates yet, I have a few other irons in the fire GTO parts development and then I'll get started on a 9" IRS kit for the G8.
I still have to finish it for the GTO.
I wont use factory style axles, it will use ones very similar to what I sell for the GTO.

Thanks
Chris

If you design something that looks good and works, I have a feeling you'll sell a few right here.

;)

GM_Fan
12-20-2008, 07:48 PM
I was more or less asking what are the HP/TQ limits of the G8 unit. What will be the limiting factors, as to when part failures begin. I know that the Ford gears are much cheaper to get. There are just so many of them out there.

-Ray-
12-21-2008, 05:17 AM
No one really knows yet as no one has broken an axle or rear end.

wreckwriter
12-21-2008, 05:48 AM
No one really knows yet as no one has broken an axle or rear end.

Yet. But when one of us does there's going to be a long downtime since we can only get parts from across the pond.

-Ray-
12-21-2008, 05:58 AM
I'm the weakest link right now, so it won't be me. Thinking of borrowing a friend's car trailer and towing it somewhere to have a cam installed.

wreckwriter
12-21-2008, 06:05 AM
I keep thinking about that too, mostly cuz I want the DOD lifters out and some better valve train stuff. So expensive though....

GRRRR8
12-21-2008, 10:09 AM
I'm the weakest link right now, so it won't be me. Thinking of borrowing a friend's car trailer and towing it somewhere to have a cam installed.

Head south! :woohoo:

GFORCE1320
12-21-2008, 11:35 AM
Head south! :woohoo:

You know, I've thought about doing just that.

I'd love to come down that way so I can see if I can get the GTO into the 8's with both stages of nitrous.
It was 10 degrees up here this morning so racing is done for until spring.

GRRRR8
12-21-2008, 12:34 PM
You know, I've thought about doing just that.

I'd love to come down that way so I can see if I can get the GTO into the 8's with both stages of nitrous.
It was 10 degrees up here this morning so racing is done for until spring.

Houston Raceway Park in the spring and fall makes for some of the lowest ETs in the US.

GFORCE1320
12-21-2008, 12:40 PM
Looks like January is open a few days.
http://www.houstonraceway.com/index.php?id=60&display=month&month=1&year=2009

GRRRR8
12-21-2008, 12:48 PM
Looks like January is open a few days.
http://www.houstonraceway.com/index.php?id=60&display=month&month=1&year=2009

Hopefully I can make my passes then and see how soon I will need your parts after that first launch!

Panther 2
12-21-2008, 05:53 PM

I am also waiting to see what is available in the US market for the rear end of the G8

KaiserM715
12-22-2008, 02:00 PM
Hopefully I can make my passes then and see how soon I will need your parts after that first launch!

Let us know when you go out there and maybe we can have a Houston meet-up!!

GFORCE1320
12-22-2008, 03:20 PM
Let us know when you go out there and maybe we can have a Houston meet-up!!

Will do, I have a bunch of testing to do with the GTO so I think I'll be doing alot of traveling this next year.

GFORCE1320
12-23-2008, 05:34 AM
When I get this rear assy I'll tear it down and give you guys my opinion on it's strength.

I also go a driveshaft with it so I'll be able to start with the driveshaft design too.