PDA

View Full Version : Cutouts/dumps

wreckwriter
12-20-2008, 09:11 AM
Anyone other than Penguin running cutouts? I'm thinking of putting some on, probably just the dumps to start with with the option of adding the fancy electric cutouts later. I figure I already will have to jack the car at the track to put on my DRs, might as well pull 2 blockoff plates off too and have some noise (yes I like the sound of open headers).

Any downsides other than the hassle factor of installing and unblocking/reblocking on race day?

wreckwriter
12-20-2008, 01:03 PM
The Kooks x-pipe is 3" OD, right?

R.Penguin
12-20-2008, 01:18 PM
Anyone other than Penguin running cutouts? I'm thinking of putting some on, probably just the dumps to start with with the option of adding the fancy electric cutouts later. I figure I already will have to jack the car at the track to put on my DRs, might as well pull 2 blockoff plates off too and have some noise (yes I like the sound of open headers).

Any downsides other than the hassle factor of installing and unblocking/reblocking on race day?
(yes I like the sound of open headers).

Yowza! The glasspaks at the end, after the cutouts, mellow & deepen the sound just a touch, keep the local police (fine & commendable officers they are, one and all) off my case. But still straight pipes with the SF H pipe in the middle, so you hear every pop and burble. I rarely turn the sound system on at all. I like exhaust music.

wreckwriter
12-20-2008, 01:20 PM
I'm not going as fancy as yours Penguin, just gonna put the dumps on for now and uncap manually at the track.

R.Penguin
12-20-2008, 01:26 PM
I'm not going as fancy as yours Penguin, just gonna put the dumps on for now and uncap manually at the track.
Makes sense to me Wreck. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how mellow it sounds with open pipes. But sounds mean as hell when you stomp the loud pedal. :p

wreckwriter
12-20-2008, 01:44 PM
Thinking on these:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Dynomax/289/88341/10002/-1

Filterman
12-20-2008, 02:10 PM
Wreck, those should work fine for what you have planned. For ease of use, have the bolts tack welded to the flange so you're not struggling with loose fasteners. Also, spring for copper or the soft aluminum gaskets. They last much longer than the cheap composition gaskets and don't stick to the flange.

wreckwriter
12-20-2008, 02:12 PM
Wreck, those should work fine for what you have planned. For ease of use, have the bolts tack welded to the flange so you're not struggling with loose fasteners. Also, spring for copper or the soft aluminum gaskets. They last much longer than the cheap composition gaskets and don't stick to the flange.

Excellent idea! Thanks.

Mike@NewEra
12-20-2008, 02:24 PM
QTP is making bolt on mufflers for the G8GT with built in electric cutouts, I saw the prototype at the Performance Racing Industries tradeshow at Orlando a week ago. Not sure how much they are going to cost though.

wreckwriter
12-20-2008, 02:26 PM
The reasons I'm thinking on going with the DynoMax dumps are these:
1- stainless
2- floating flange
3- clamp-on which will allow me to both vary the angle and probably do the install myself. I figure to use t-bolts clamps which are very solid and NHRA approved.

I just have to be certain of the diameter of the pipe first. I don't have a caliper or anything to measure that big.

wreckwriter
12-20-2008, 02:26 PM
QTP is making bolt on mufflers for the G8GT with built in electric cutouts, I saw the prototype at the Performance Racing Industries tradeshow at Orlando a week ago. Not sure how much they are going to cost though.

Interesting. Pricey I bet!

Filterman
12-20-2008, 02:49 PM
Measure the circumferance of the tube with a tape and divide by pi (3.1416), that gives you the diameter...

wreckwriter
12-20-2008, 02:56 PM
I used to know that. Thanks!

R.Penguin
12-20-2008, 02:57 PM
The reasons I'm thinking on going with the DynoMax dumps are these:
1- stainless
2- floating flange
3- clamp-on which will allow me to both vary the angle and probably do the install myself. I figure to use t-bolts clamps which are very solid and NHRA approved.

I just have to be certain of the diameter of the pipe first. I don't have a caliper or anything to measure that big.
I still have the original Y pipes that the first shop f*cked up. Where are you gonna install? I do have calipers, if you can live with +/- .001".

wreckwriter
12-20-2008, 03:03 PM
Yea but you're in Seattle! I'll have the answer way before you could ship me your calipers :) My pipes are Kooks, yours are stock, right?

GeorgeInNePa
12-20-2008, 03:08 PM

Axle backs with cut-outs?

Really?

Hmmmmm...

R.Penguin
12-20-2008, 03:18 PM
Yea but you're in Seattle! I'll have the answer way before you could ship me your calipers :) My pipes are Kooks, yours are stock, right?
I was gonna measure for you, but forgot about the headers. :p

wreckwriter
12-20-2008, 03:25 PM
I was gonna measure for you, but forgot about the headers. :p

I know, I was just messin. Yea, my system is not stock. Kooks calls the pipes 3", I expect that's the OD.

GRRRR8
12-20-2008, 04:12 PM
I am home and can reply now Tom. KOOKS is 3in, 2 1/2 at the muffs. With those muffs I doubt you would pick up 1 HP. Apply the $ to a better mod. JMO, but its true!

wreckwriter
12-20-2008, 04:15 PM
I am home and can reply now Tom. KOOKS is 3in, 2 1/2 at the muffs. With those muffs I doubt you would pick up 1 HP. Apply the $ to a better mod. JMO, but its true!

Not really looking for HP, looking for loudness while racing....

GRRRR8
12-20-2008, 04:18 PM

Take 4 bolts out and pull the muffs. It will take 10 minutes max. I have tried it on mine and yes it is NOISY!

wreckwriter
12-20-2008, 04:22 PM
Cheaper but not easier cuz then I have no place to store them while I'm racing.

GRRRR8
12-20-2008, 04:29 PM
Where are you putting your tires/jack?

wreckwriter
12-20-2008, 04:30 PM
Plan to use a chain to attach them all together. Could still get stolen but will take an effort.

GeorgeInNePa
12-20-2008, 04:56 PM
Plan to use a chain to attach them all together. Could still get stolen but will take an effort.

Park near a fence or light pole and it's even harder to steal. ;)

GeorgeInNePa
12-20-2008, 04:58 PM

1) Remove mufflers at home.

2) Record car running at WOT for 30 seconds or so.

3) Play recording while at the track.

4) Enjoy!

:nah:

wreckwriter
12-20-2008, 05:01 PM
Park near a fence or light pole and it's even harder to steal. ;)

That was my first thought too but there are very few of them and those there are have a huge (like 4 x 4) base. It may be workable but I'm thinking not.

99-LS1-SS
12-20-2008, 05:08 PM
1) Remove mufflers at home.

2) Record car running at WOT for 30 seconds or so.

3) Play recording while at the track.

4) Enjoy!

:nah:

I'll have to admit, that was pretty funny.

99-LS1-SS
12-20-2008, 05:50 PM
Wreck, any reason you aren't dumping right past the headers?

MABG8er
12-20-2008, 06:18 PM
Sounds like you need a drag racing buddy to watch your stuff while you run.

If you had electric cutouts right past your headers, would you be able to gain more hp than a full exhaust?

R.Penguin
12-20-2008, 07:22 PM
I know, I was just messin. Yea, my system is not stock.

So, .............can I come out from under the car now Wreck? It's cold as hell under here..........and................I think I'm stuck!

:hang:

wreckwriter
12-21-2008, 05:52 AM
Wreck, any reason you aren't dumping right past the headers?

Ease of uncapping. Jacking the rear is a whole lot easier. My jack doesn't fit under the front well.

This was all just a thought, may do, may not.

wreckwriter
12-21-2008, 05:54 AM
Sounds like you need a drag racing buddy to watch your stuff while you run.

If you had electric cutouts right past your headers, would you be able to gain more hp than a full exhaust?

Yea, a buddy would be great My wife can't come out because the baby is too young, we worry about his ears as he won't wear any sort of headphone. Sitters cost like hell.

wreckwriter
12-21-2008, 05:55 AM
I know, I was just messin. Yea, my system is not stock.

So, .............can I come out from under the car now Wreck? It's cold as hell under here..........and................I think I'm stuck!

:hang:

Yea, thanks for waiting :)

99-LS1-SS
12-21-2008, 06:00 AM
Ease of uncapping. Jacking the rear is a whole lot easier. My jack doesn't fit under the front well.

This was all just a thought, may do, may not.

Are electric cutouts out of the question?

wreckwriter
12-21-2008, 06:10 AM
Are electric cutouts out of the question?

Not completely but that much money is better saved for the power adder fund.

99-LS1-SS
12-21-2008, 06:45 AM
I wonder if you put electric (or any cut out for that matter) right after the headers, if it would give you more of an increase since you would be bypassing the cats?

wreckwriter
12-21-2008, 06:48 AM
Possibly but it would also throw codes I think.

99-LS1-SS
12-21-2008, 06:52 AM
I just looked at the header setup again. I wasn't aware that there was a second set of O2 sensors after the cats. My bad.