PDA

View Full Version : Helmets

Rawyzf
04-15-2011, 07:03 AM
Can you guys help me out with letting me know where a good place to get a helmet is?

Track rules say it must be DOT/Snell 2005 or 2010 approved for this year.

Looking for something cheap :). I only go to the track a couple times a year at most.

Thanks,
Ryan

G8 GT V8
04-15-2011, 07:24 AM
I've been hitting the track for a couple years now and they have yet to even take a look at my helmet. Had I known that, I could have bought a much cheaper one from a Meijer's close to my house, but I didn't know that that would be the case and spent more money on the DOT/Snell helmet at a local Honda motorcycle dealership. So, I'm not sure how strict your track is, but if they're not very strict, you could get by with a really cheap one. Otherwise, a local motorcycle dealer should have a bunch to pick from.

wreckwriter
04-15-2011, 07:30 AM
Most tracks that I've been to DO check. Try here: http://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/CTGY/autosnellm

G8 GT V8
04-15-2011, 07:46 AM
I guess I should have clarified that I'm only running at the test-n-tune events and both local tracks have never checked my helmet. It might be totally different at my local tracks for when they do actual bracket racing. Not sure if it makes a difference or not...

G8 GT V8
04-15-2011, 07:47 AM
Most tracks that I've been to DO check. Try here: http://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/CTGY/autosnellm

If I had a kick-ass low 11 second G8 like yours, I bet they'd be all over me :)

G8 GT V8
04-15-2011, 07:53 AM
Contrary to what I said before about being able to get by with a cheaper helmet, at the end of the day, we're talking about your safety and protecting your head, so even though you might be able to skimp by with something cheaper, it's really best not to be cutting corners on safety equipment...

Rawyzf
04-15-2011, 07:56 AM

Thank you Sir!

I guess I should have clarified that I'm only running at the test-n-tune events and both local tracks have never checked my helmet. It might be totally different at my local tracks for when they do actual bracket racing. Not sure if it makes a difference or not...

Yeah, that is all I go to also, but they do check the helmets every time. I had a Snell 2000, but those are no longer good this year.

CntryClub007
05-04-2011, 09:06 PM
I got a real nice Snell M2005 / DOT approved Helmet in size small(I think it's a small) that I used like twice if you want a smokin deal! Like $75 bucks smokin! Not sure what size you wear, but it's accepted at drag strips.

Correction, it's a size Medium.

Seattle09GT
05-04-2011, 09:09 PM
Can you guys help me out with letting me know where a good place to get a helmet is?

Track rules say it must be DOT/Snell 2005 or 2010 approved for this year.

Looking for something cheap :). I only go to the track a couple times a year at most.

Thanks,
Ryan

More than 20 years ago during my very first day of racing school my instructor told me words I have never forgotten.

If you have a $50 dollar head, buy a $50 helmet.

If you want quality but really cheap, there are some SNELL 2000 (still usable this season) helmets out there that can be had for $50ish -- they would have been a lot more expensive. I would recommend going with a Snell 2010 helmet; that way you get 10 years with it.

CntryClub007
05-17-2011, 06:45 AM
More than 20 years ago during my very first day of racing school my instructor told me words I have never forgotten.

If you have a $50 dollar head, buy a $50 helmet.

If you want quality but really cheap, there are some SNELL 2000 (still usable this season) helmets out there that can be had for $50ish -- they would have been a lot more expensive. I would recommend going with a Snell 2010 helmet; that way you get 10 years with it.

So I have a $530,000 head and need a helmet that much to go with it?

I'd agree on the Snell approval, Snell M2005 at minimum.

Chewy
05-17-2011, 07:03 AM
I like going here... http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/helmets_and_eyewear/closed_face/ They're known for their NOS product. They are last years models, but who cares? Still brand new in the box and a much reduced price.

Chris

WickedMom
05-17-2011, 08:09 AM
I know at my track the M2005 will not work, the helmets must be SA2005 (or 2000 for this season)
My helmet came from www.helmetcity.com as well, free 2 day shipping so my Bell was ~$260.00

Monty
05-17-2011, 09:16 AM
I bought a G-Force Eliminator in black found here http://www.gforce.com/products/helmets/3002.php . I paid $150 for mine from my performance dealer. I have a smaller head but the large fits nice and tight. I would suggest trying on someone elses helmet to see what size you need. As for motorcycle helmets the track near me (Atco) doesn't like you using them for using them in cars.

WickedMom
05-17-2011, 09:19 AM
helmet city has a measurement thingy... measure your melon and compare :)

edmanet
05-17-2011, 06:35 PM

Cecil checks helmets even at TnT events...You might be able to get away with one run w/o a helmet
since the cutoff is 13.99 but why chance it. Anything can happen at anytime.

Rawyzf
05-18-2011, 05:50 AM
I found a craigslist Scropion EXO-700 for $50. It has the snell 2005 approval on the helmet and actually is listed on the Snell 2010 approvals too.